Do you do Excursions?

Since this is a thread about saving money, I thought I'd check to see if others on a budget do any excursions, and if so how many? And through the ship or a private company? They can get quite pricey but of course it's a good way to see a place when you only have x number of hours there. I'd love to get the Dolphin one for my DS10, but way too much. So for us, we have 3 Caribbean stops and am thinking maybe doing one - the Bernard tour (non ship) in St Martin seems to be highly recommended. Or, if they added a Blue Lagoon one to our Nassau stop we'd consider that one instead (currently not offered). Otherwise, we may just go to beaches ourselves. We're coming with our kids so wouldn't do heavy touring anyways or they would be bored.

Ā 

How about others?

When cruising in other ports.... yes I do take excursions... even when on a budget.

• flights and marine excursions cost more, so I would avoid those to look for cheaper options.
  • how much extra would it cost for me to return to that port again to do those excursions in the future?

Yes, yes, and yes! I consider myself a budget cruiser: Inside cabins, I don't drink, gamble etc. BUT..,I will not skimp on excursions. This is where I do spend my money. I will do an excursion in each port. By now, I usually choose private excursions as they are cheaper, longer and I have had GREAT experiences. A dolphin excursion with your children could be a once in a lifetime experience. Will you get back to the island again? Will you have that experience with your children? My once in a lifetime a was dog sledding on a glacier in Alaska..,$600 but 150% worth every penny, even 10 years later. In my opinion, I would cut back in other areas if you can.

Ā 

FYI...Bernard's in St, Maarten is AWESOME! Did his tour in 2013.

Ā 

Enjoy your cruise!

Yes, yes, and yes! I consider myself a budget cruiser: Inside cabins, I don't drink, gamble etc. BUT..,I will not skimp on excursions. This is where I do spend my money. I will do an excursion in each port. By now, I usually choose private excursions as they are cheaper, longer and I have had GREAT experiences. A dolphin excursion with your children could be a once in a lifetime experience. Will you get back to the island again? Will you have that experience with your children? My once in a lifetime a was dog sledding on a glacier in Alaska..,$600 but 150% worth every penny, even 10 years later. In my opinion, I would cut back in other areas if you can.

Ā 

FYI...Bernard's in St, Maarten is AWESOME! Did his tour in 2013.

Ā 

Enjoy your cruise!

Ā 

Wow...the dog sledding in Alaska sounds amazing. I do get what you say with it being a chance in a lifetime.

Ā 

Ā 

And thanks for the feedback on Bernard's tour. It does seem to get recommended. Do you think kids would like it?

Depends on the ports....usually, we research where we're going, and find that we can do ON OUR OWN pretty much all that interests us! Saves a bundle!

Ā 

If there's something that is far, or difficult...we will book a tour....sometimes, thru the ship (which is the totally foolproof way), or thru a private vendor...either way is fine.

We often take excursions, but rarely ones from the ship. Most of ours are planned thru the Roll Call for our cruise. Generally, the price is significantly lower, the group is much smaller and the tour is better.

Ā 

We only take a ship tour when there is a real danger of getting back too late with a private tour

We have never taken a ship's tour. We don't care to spend a day with 50 brand new best friends. Lol!

Ā 

We have taken a few private tours with one or two other couples if we think DIY would be difficult.

Ā 

Mostly we read up on each port, decide what we would like to see and do, and hire a cab or use public transportation and do it!!

Edited by Viv0828

We do a mixture of ships tours, private tours, and just seeing a port on our own.

Ā 

The key is to do the research and there are great tools to do the research including Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor.

Ā 

Keith

And thanks for the feedback on Bernard's tour. It does seem to get recommended. Do you think kids would like it?

Ā 

How old are your children? iPad had a comfy shuttle with plenty of drinks (water, soda, beer and rum punch). We saw a lot of the island, made plenty of stops for pics, swimming at Orient Beach (the rip current was awful, we were warned, so be VERY careful). Also, there are sections that are nude beach. Shopped at Marigot and had to get a treat at Serafina bakery..yum! We then went to Maho beach. Seeing the plans take off and land was amazing! We didn't swim here, but there was a beach, bar and restaurant. Again, lots of nudity here. Women that went topless got free drinks! I paid for my sprite..lol! It was a great day. We had enough time to shop for and hour or so back in port.

We have never not done an excursion - even if that excursion was to or at the beach. The way I look at it, I may never be back here ever again. Will I regret the $50 or $100 I didn't spend for the experience of seeing the world's biggest ball of yarn? Look, only you can decide this but I can tell you that almost every excursion I have taken with my DH, daughter, son and kids - and family and friends - have given me memories to think about for the rest of my life.

Ā 

Yes, that $200 might have been important and hard to pay at the time, but just today I was telling someone of the time we were in Venezuela at a dolphin encounter. We had driven quite a distance and before we left the ship and double checked that my 3 month pregnant daughter would be allowed to participate. When we got there we were told "no" that one of the dolphins was trying to mate and they couldn't allow it. Ever tell a 3 month pregnant woman no? Crocodile tears. The guys didn't know what to do so they allowed her in. The dolphins knew she was different and each time they swam by her they bumped her. When we did the "talk" they got really close to her to almost scaring her.

Ā 

Also, same excursion my profoundly deaf nephew was with us. We explained to the guys that he couldn't hear their instruction but we would relate. During the encounter they had a dolphin come up close to his ear and talk. I'm almost crying typing this it was so amazing. He said he could feel the dolphin's vibrations and it was almost like talking to someone from outer space it was so unreal. He was a young adult and absolutely loved it.

Ā 

So, was the $120 we spent for each person worth it? Yes. Could we REALLY afford it at the time. Not so much. Still, it was priceless.

Edited by notentirelynormal

How old are your children? iPad had a comfy shuttle with plenty of drinks (water, soda, beer and rum punch). We saw a lot of the island, made plenty of stops for pics, swimming at Orient Beach (the rip current was awful, we were warned, so be VERY careful). Also, there are sections that are nude beach. Shopped at Marigot and had to get a treat at Serafina bakery..yum! We then went to Maho beach. Seeing the plans take off and land was amazing! We didn't swim here, but there was a beach, bar and restaurant. Again, lots of nudity here. Women that went topless got free drinks! I paid for my sprite..lol! It was a great day. We had enough time to shop for and hour or so back in port.

Ā 

Our kids will be 10.5 (turning 11 a couple weeks after our cruise) and 6.5 years. If we did a Bernard Tour, I would prefer the one that includes the beach, but I am not thrilled with my kids seeing topless (and to be honest, I would be uncomfortable myself). I've heard you can avoid it but not sure what section Bernard Tour lets you off at. And...good to know about the current. We'll be going in April if time of year makes a difference.

Ā 

But the tour does seem like a good way to do a lot of St Thomas things (beach, Maho with the low planes, etc) and it seems like it's pretty well liked. Good for kids?

Edited by LuCruise

We usually do our own thing or a private company tour. Exceptions would be if the activity was quite a distance from the port and transport options were limited if there was an issue. We are sailing with my daughter for the first time this year. As she's 18 months we really don't want to be stranded somewhere or miss the ship with her in tow so anything outside of the immediate town/city we sail into we'll book with the cruise ship on this occasion.

Our kids will be 10.5 (turning 11 a couple weeks after our cruise) and 6.5 years. If we did a Bernard Tour, I would prefer the one that includes the beach, but I am not thrilled with my kids seeing topless (and to be honest, I would be uncomfortable myself). I've heard you can avoid it but not sure what section Bernard Tour lets you off at. And...good to know about the current. We'll be going in April if time of year makes a difference.

Ā 

But the tour does seem like a good way to do a lot of St Thomas things (beach, Maho with the low planes, etc) and it seems like it's pretty well liked. Good for kids?

Ā 

Yes, at Orient beach, there are two beaches. NUDE and then the "regular" which does allow topless bathing. Again, Maho beach (right next to where you see the planes) was the topless outside bar (granted, I went in 2013, so it could be different now). Bernard dropped one person off at the NUDE beach and took the rest of us to the regular beach. Also, I have seen a lot of topless beaches in the Caribbean, just something we are not used to in the U.S.

Ā 

We also went in April!

Ā 

I think your children would enjoy it. If they like beaches and the planes are a MUST see in my opinion if someone visits St. Marten. But, are they also patient enough for sightseeing parts? Shuttle rides, picture stops etc?

Ā 

I say go for it! Good price, great company and a great way to get a feel of the island.

Absolutely do an excursion...life is too short. You'll never know when you'll be back to a particular island...life throws us so many different curves.

Ā 

As others have said, do your research and then spend the money for a memory of a lifetime. Our daughters are both grown with young families of their own but they can still remember our cruises and our excursions. Don't pass them up.

Part of the fun of cruising are excursions. do your research and get out there. Maybe with 3 ports you splurge on just one and do things on your own the other two. I spend a lot of time looking a ports of call before we go.

Part of the fun of cruising are excursions. do your research and get out there. Maybe with 3 ports you splurge on just one and do things on your own the other two. I spend a lot of time looking a ports of call before we go.

Ā 

This is what I'm thinking at this point...and either a ship one or the St Maarten Bernard's tour one.

It's interesting that some people see the ships excursions as the most desirable option and something to be aimed for. I mostly have found them poor value with a lots of unnecessary waiting around with hoards of others. If money were no object if still book private tours/do things on our own.

We have never not done an excursion - even if that excursion was to or at the beach. The way I look at it, I may never be back here ever again. Will I regret the $50 or $100 I didn't spend for the experience of seeing the world's biggest ball of yarn? Look, only you can decide this but I can tell you that almost every excursion I have taken with my DH, daughter, son and kids - and family and friends - have given me memories to think about for the rest of my life.

Ā 

Yes, that $200 might have been important and hard to pay at the time, but just today I was telling someone of the time we were in Venezuela at a dolphin encounter. We had driven quite a distance and before we left the ship and double checked that my 3 month pregnant daughter would be allowed to participate. When we got there we were told "no" that one of the dolphins was trying to mate and they couldn't allow it. Ever tell a 3 month pregnant woman no? Crocodile tears. The guys didn't know what to do so they allowed her in. The dolphins knew she was different and each time they swam by her they bumped her. When we did the "talk" they got really close to her to almost scaring her.

Ā 

Also, same excursion my profoundly deaf nephew was with us. We explained to the guys that he couldn't hear their instruction but we would relate. During the encounter they had a dolphin come up close to his ear and talk. I'm almost crying typing this it was so amazing. He said he could feel the dolphin's vibrations and it was almost like talking to someone from outer space it was so unreal. He was a young adult and absolutely loved it.

Ā 

So, was the $120 we spent for each person worth it? Yes. Could we REALLY afford it at the time. Not so much. Still, it was priceless.

Ā 

Thanks for sharing this. It made me cry. Life is all about the moments which you will cherish always.

Interesting about your daughter and the Dolphins. Are you saying they sense her pregnancy?

Thanks for sharing this. It made me cry. Life is all about the moments which you will cherish always.

Interesting about your daughter and the Dolphins. Are you saying they sense her pregnancy?

Ā 

They most definitely sensed her pregnancy. That's why the guys were reluctant to put her in the water. They got closer to her than anyone when they swam by, sometimes gently knocking her. Most people, when the did the "hi" thing, were about 2 to 3 feet away. They got right in her face. Scared the poop out of her. Dolphins are smart.

Ā 

I have a friend that does underwater photography. A year after he had filmed a family of dolphins he went back, accompanied by another guy. Friend warned him to stay away from the baby. Guy doesn't listen. Keeps getting closer. Finally guy ends up with broken rib. Should have listened. Don't get between momma and baby!

Ā 

moqui_girl: I don't think most of us have said to take ship excursions just some type of excursion.

They most definitely sensed her pregnancy. That's why the guys were reluctant to put her in the water. They got closer to her than anyone when they swam by, sometimes gently knocking her. Most people, when the did the "hi" thing, were about 2 to 3 feet away. They got right in her face. Scared the poop out of her. Dolphins are smart.

Ā 

I have a friend that does underwater photography. A year after he had filmed a family of dolphins he went back, accompanied by another guy. Friend warned him to stay away from the baby. Guy doesn't listen. Keeps getting closer. Finally guy ends up with broken rib. Should have listened. Don't get between momma and baby!

Ā 

moqui_girl: I don't think most of us have said to take ship excursions just some type of excursion.

Thanks for the reply.

I've done the dolphin excursion and don't remember the " hi" thing. Can you refresh my memory?

Edited by celebrity

They had the dolphin get in front of you, facing you, and would basically nod up and down making the dolphin sound. Like they were greeting you.

Ā 

Oh yes! You mean the Dolphin laugh. šŸ˜ƒ

One of my best excursions ever.