Specialty Dining - Chops

For me, I think the steak is good, not great. But I am happy to pay the upcharge for the entire dining experience. I am not a fan of the MDR. To me, it's too big, too noisy, too industrial, too much like what it is- a giant banquet. I dine exclusively in specialty restaurants now because the entire dining experience is just more enjoyable to me.

Wow, our thoughts EXACTLY on every count!:)

That said, our last cruise was on Celebrity and we haven't been to the "new" Chops yet.......

Edited by bouhunter

My main point is the price. I can't believe people go there at all. In my mind how could anyone justify spending $39 extra for that food?

To get out of the chaos of the banquet in the MDR. It isn't just for the "food". Everyone has different priorities on where they spend their money........

I haven't read all the replies. OP, did you speak up in any way? Mention it to your waiter or Chops' Manager, or mention it on your survey?

We had a less than stellar experience in Chops also but chose not to say anything. I do regret that but it is mine to live with.

I haven't read all the replies. OP, did you speak up in any way? Mention it to your waiter or Chops' Manager, or mention it on your survey?

We had a less than stellar experience in Chops also but chose not to say anything. I do regret that but it is mine to live with.

We had a rough night in Chops on Freedom. They compd the meal, but it was really only a $17 value because it was first night BOGO.

I think the problem was caused by the confusion with the table next to us. They had free dinners from TA, but ordered lobsters and upcharge steaks then got belligerent about being charged. Threw our waiter off his 'A' game and we paid the price

I do like the addition of the Bacon Steak to the appetizer menu.

Ok, I'm calling it the Bacon Steak :D Its on the appetizer menu as Black Peppered bacon. At least it was on Freedom 5/2/15. I never heard anyone talk about it, or saw it mentioned in a review. For my blue collar tastes, it was one of the best things I ate that week!

We are booked for Chops on Oasis of the seas. It looks nice and I am not sure about the new menu but from what I can see online it looked like an interesting choice.

I have the premium Drink package so I assume I can get water at Chops?? For the people that do like Chops, what should we order?

I really do like Chops. I like get a bunch of appetizers and sides to share, I am partial to the filet myself as the entree. You can order multiple appetizers and sides, but only one entree. You can get water at chops without paying, and yes the drink package covers Chops. My favorite appetizer is the shrimp cocktail, they are huge. Others liked the bacon, it is thick and not crisp enough for me but it had good flavor. I like the tater tots and the creamed spinach the best as sides. I am not a mushroom fan, but I was told they were tasty.

Sorry to all the ''chops'' lovers out there, but our recent experience at Chops on the Quantum was terrible. Maybe it was just a bad night when we attended but Seriously, it was the worst fee-paid for specialty restaurant we have ever been to on any cruise. We normally like to visit specialty restaurants on board & we in fact had booked Chops twice for our recent sailing. But after the first meal was so disappointing we cancelled the second booking & swapped it for Jamie's Italian which was far superior in every way.

First of all the lighting was so dim, you could barely see your partner across the table or the food. Secondly, the service was below average. It was polite, but not even up to normal Dining room standard & we were never made to feel special or welcome to be there spending extra money that we were. Thirdly, the food was quite bland & presentation was lacking. Our deserts seemed like they had just been slapped onto the plate like something from the buffet, not even a little garnish to make it look pretty. For a Steak place, our steaks were just ok. Once again, no melt in your mouth experience, that we have received on other Lines such as Celebrity or Carnival or even Costa.

Finally I don't want to sound petty but, we were given a nice table by the window, unfortunately we had a lovely view of the lifeboat!! Why would they design to place one of their best restaurants here. Most ships place them up high with lovely view of the water and so on.