Free style soda/pop machines--any plans for adding them?

Princess are you listening? I would buy the soda package if you had this feature on your ships.

I personally prefer Dr. Pepper or Pibb.

I know I can bring some aboard the ship but I would rather buy it on board the ship and not have to carry it on board.

Does anyone know if Princess has future plans to add these machines?

I saw the machines for the first time on the Oasis OTS and thought there so few of them for a ship that size - also, what do people do if they want a soda in the MDR? I bought a Coke card for the first time on our Grand cruise two weeks ago. I couldn't find a convenient location to pick up a 2 liter before the cruise. I like that for inside the cabin and then normally buy one or two Cokes in the evening. I figured at 4.50 a day, I would break even. Bad thing is, I drank way too much diet coke all week, so not sure I would do it again. I really don't like the vending machine thing on a cruise ship.

Edited by mek

Honestly I think their influence on consumer decision making is well overrated.

Does anybody really head to Burger King over McDonald's or Wendy's solely because of the freestyle machines? Or Firehouse Subs over Subway, Quiznos or Jimmy John's? Or BurgerFi over Elevation, Burger 21 or whatever your local favorite overpriced premium burger joint is?

In all the time I have been visiting Cruise Critic this is the first thread I have seen (though there recently were 'floataway' comments on another) with a member implying they lean toward RCI over Princess solely because of the freestyle machines. And I'm not holding my breath for the next one.

Does anybody really head to Burger King over McDonald's or Wendy's solely because of the freestyle machines? Or Firehouse Subs over Subway, Quiznos or Jimmy John's? Or BurgerFi over Elevation, Burger 21 or whatever your local favorite overpriced premium burger joint is?

I've been known to go to Qdoba over Chipotle because of the freestyle soda machine :rolleyes: With that said, soda out of a freestyle machine doesn't taste as good, since it's too dependent on calibration and syrup/CO2 mixing ratio, which no one ever gets right.

In all the time I have been visiting Cruise Critic this is the first thread I have seen (though there recently were 'floataway' comments on another) with a member implying they lean toward RCI over Princess solely because of the freestyle machines. And I'm not holding my breath for the next one.

No I am not implying I like RCI over Princess because of the free style machine. I like Dr Pepper & Pibb Extra. I won't buy the soda package because I don't like the flavor/brands they are carrying.

IF I choose to drink soda/pop with all the sugar they contain than I will drink the flavor/brand I prefer or not at all.

I won't select a cruise line because of the soda. I just won't spend my money on the soda they have for sale on the ship.

If you took a poll on brands you will see that Dr Pepper does have a loyal following.

I've been known to go to Qdoba over Chipotle because of the freestyle soda machine :rolleyes: With that said, soda out of a freestyle machine doesn't taste as good, since it's too dependent on calibration and syrup/CO2 mixing ratio, which no one ever gets right.

You also might have the flavor of the previous soda in you selection. I always let a soda flow before filling my cup.

I saw the machines for the first time on the Oasis OTS

As I understand it, you get a special cup (chip readable by the machine) that must be used to use the machine.

Do people really want to carry a cup around all day and evening in order to get a soda when thirsty?

Princess are you listening? I would buy the soda package if you had this feature on your ships.

I personally prefer Dr. Pepper or Pibb.

I know I can bring some aboard the ship but I would rather buy it on board the ship and not have to carry it on board.

Does anyone know if Princess has future plans to add these machines?

If you wish to have different soda drinks on Princess ships suggest you write them a letter. I don't think posting here will have any impact.

I really don't think anyone other than corporate headquarters has any idea regarding the future of self vending soda machines on board.

Yes, I do.

Matter of opinion. I have found the soda from a freestyle machine very good.:)

Our local Pei Wei and Burger King both have the Freestyle machine. I always flush the dispenser for ten or so seconds to clear out any previous choice. I like Coca-Cola to taste like Coca-Cola! Not some crazy flavor combination the kid before me chose.

I feel its wasteful of water, but if I'm paying for it...

As I understand it, you get a special cup (chip readable by the machine) that must be used to use the machine.

Do people really want to carry a cup around all day and evening in order to get a soda when thirsty?

When they are addicted to artificially colored, artificially sweetened, artificially flavoured, artificially carbonated city tap water, loaded with chemicals, yes, they will carry those cups - all day and all evening.

Does anybody really head to Burger King because of the freestyle machines?

God, no!!! I went there last week and hated the da**ed thing. It kept giving me ice when I didn't want any. What a mess.

Does anybody really head to Burger King over McDonald's or Wendy's solely because of the freestyle machines?

Some wendy's locations have the freestyle machine, some don't.

If I have a choice, I chose the one with.

The only thing I wish about princess was that they had a diet

caffeine-free choice with the soda sticker.

When they are addicted to artificially colored, artificially sweetened, artificially flavoured, artificially carbonated city tap water, loaded with chemicals, yes, they will carry those cups - all day and all evening.

How the air up there?

As others have indicated, it increases the choices of soda we have available. I don't drink as much soda as I used to, but on vacation I like one or two with lunch. For me, It's too early for an alcohol drink; water and iced tea are OK, but to have Cherry Coke available would be fantastic! I'd get the package just to have that option.

I must lead a sheltered life :) and have no idea what a free style soda machine is compared to an 'old fashioned' soda dispenser. Can someone explain it to me even though (obviously) it won't make a difference to me :D ?

Edited by capriccio

I must lead a sheltered life :) and have no idea what a free style soda machine is compared to an 'old fashioned' soda dispenser. Can someone explain it to me even though (obviously) it won't make a difference to me :D ?

It is a soda machine with just about every possible combination of flavors that the company sells.

Want a raspberry diet caffeine-free Coke? You can get it with the right button presses.

This utube video helps explain it.