Formal nights

Airportlimbo

People may have their own personal opinions on this but from those who have actually asked the question of Celebrity it is clear that ties are NOT required.

Head over to the dress code thread (if you dare) and you will find a quite spirited discussion on this very issue. :D

People may have their own personal opinions on this but from those who have actually asked the question of Celebrity it is clear that ties are NOT required.

Head over to the dress code thread (if you dare) and you will find a quite spirited discussion on this very issue. :D

From my understanding.

Ties are recommended but not required :)

(I have not read the other thread)

The technical listed requirement is a jacket. You can almost certainly "get away" with wearing pretty much whatever you'd like; pearl-clutchers will certainly tell you fantastic stories of the time the Maitre d' personally walked a jacketless ruffian out of the restaurant to rousing applause and a sousaphone rendition of "God Save the Queen", but you can probably get the sense of how real those stories are from my description of them.

Try to look presentable and you will be accommodated. It's as simple as that.

The technical listed requirement is a jacket. You can almost certainly "get away" with wearing pretty much whatever you'd like; pearl-clutchers will certainly tell you fantastic stories of the time the Maitre d' personally walked a jacketless ruffian out of the restaurant to rousing applause and a sousaphone rendition of "God Save the Queen", but you can probably get the sense of how real those stories are from my description of them.

This may or may not be true. One cruise experience Is certainly not enough to give a definitive answer to the question. A jacket is at a bare minimum what is frequently enforced on a Celebrity cruise. It has nothing to do with "pearl clutchers" but people who travel very frequently see people turned away or asked to wear a nasty loaner jacket.

The facts are that the great majority of people do comply with the dress code and you could very well be asked to leave. It's possible that you could be admitted but far from a sure thing.

This may or may not be true. One cruise experience Is certainly not enough to give a definitive answer to the question. A jacket is at a bare minimum what is frequently enforced on a Celebrity cruise. It has nothing to do with "pearl clutchers" but people who travel very frequently see people turned away or asked to wear a nasty loaner jacket.

The facts are that the great majority of people do comply with the dress code and you could very well be asked to leave. It's possible that you could be admitted but far from a sure thing.

The facts? We don't have any facts. We have anecdotes, which are spin from people saying what they wish to be the case. Searching the X forum on CC reveals literally zero reports (this year, I didn't go back any further, admittedly, as that was several hundred posts) from the actual person turned away saying they were turned away.

Until somebody posts that they were turned away for lack of a jacket, I simply do not believe it happens with enough regularity to make it worth constantly insisting that the Dress Police are posted outside the MDR conducting 20-point inspections and marching nonbelievers to the buffet.

I do not believe that on a forum full of people who will complain about the slightest thing that we have 0 reports from someone affected of something that you and others insist is so commonly enforced.

The facts? We don't have any facts. We have anecdotes, which are spin from people saying what they wish to be the case. Searching the X forum on CC reveals literally zero reports (this year, I didn't go back any further, admittedly, as that was several hundred posts) from the actual person turned away saying they were turned away.

Until somebody posts that they were turned away for lack of a jacket, I simply do not believe it happens with enough regularity to make it worth constantly insisting that the Dress Police are posted outside the MDR conducting 20-point inspections and marching nonbelievers to the buffet.

I do not believe that on a forum full of people who will complain about the slightest thing that we have 0 reports from someone affected of something that you and others insist is so commonly enforced.

I've seen recent reports from people themselves as well as seen it actually happen. It is usually mentioned in a trip report of some kind and not included as the title of a thread so wouldn't necessarily come up in the title of a thread in a "search". Our fellow poster DJkretired just reported seeing this happen on his most recent cruise.. I also doubt that most people would report something that may have been a bit embarrassing for them. Of course it doesn't happen frequently because most people do as requested. I've also seen people admitted but would hate to tell someone they are certain to be admitted and have them encounter an embarrassing situation.

I've only spent about 700 days on board Celebrity ships so maybe I need a little more experience to be able to report what I've seen.

In both Blu and Murano during formal nights, staff "loaned" a jacket to those men who entered without them. Did not make them wear them but they were put over the back of their chairs in the dining room. As previously mentioned, most followed the suggested dress code by entering with sport jackets and ties.

I have personally witnessed men given the choice of a borrowed jacket, or finding another dining venue. This is not urban legend. As well, I have seen other cruises where just about anything went. Celebrity is consistently inconsistent about these things.

In both Blu and Murano during formal nights, staff "loaned" a jacket to those men who entered without them. Did not make them wear them but they were put over the back of their chairs in the dining room. As previously mentioned, most followed the suggested dress code by entering with sport jackets and ties.

Huh?

That is not the "suggested dress code" in those restaurants. Dress code in both Blu and Murano is Smart Casual 100% of the time. Why in heavens name would they loan me some old jacket (and me either wear it or carry it--incredibly silly) when I am dressed smart casually and completely within the code.

Huh?

That is not the "suggested dress code" in those restaurants. Dress code in both Blu and Murano is Smart Casual 100% of the time. Why in heavens name would they loan me some old jacket (and me either wear it or carry it--incredibly silly) when I am dressed smart casually and completely within the code.

The Managers insisted that they have jackets and there were 3 jackets available in Murano. The Manager dropped off a plaid one which you usually see at thrift shops. But at least the cruiser did not have to wear it. It was put over the back of his chair. We got a chuckle out of that! Same thing occurred in Blu on that cruise. But that was the first time we saw that in Blu but had seen that previously in Murano.

But the suggested code isn't jackets & Ties in either of those places! So the guys wanting to go for dinner were I guess dressed to the code!

Well, if you sit at the Captain's table on formal night, you will be required to wear a jacket. On our May Summit cruise, one of the gentlemen selected to join us at Staff Captain Smythe's table had forgotten to bring his sport coat. Our wonderful Michael's Club concierge (Jole) contacted one of the butlers, who found a nice dark jacket for the man. He was not, however, required to wear a tie.

It definitely made us feel better, as "newbies" at the Captain's Table. When Jole called us with our invitation, my immediate reaction was: Oh no -- DH only packed a sport coat and tie! :eek: I can remember back (on RC and X) when gentlemen were required to bring (or rent) a tux, in order to be seated with the Captain. Jole assured me that a sport coat and tie would be just fine. The other two gentlemen at the table were wearing dark suits, but nobody wore a tux. And, of course, Staff Captain Smythe wore his uniform. ;)

I've seen recent reports from people themselves as well as seen it actually happen. It is usually mentioned in a trip report of some kind and not included as the title of a thread so wouldn't necessarily come up in the title of a thread in a "search". Our fellow poster DJkretired just reported seeing this happen on his most recent cruise.. I also doubt that most people would report something that may have been a bit embarrassing for them. Of course it doesn't happen frequently because most people do as requested. I've also seen people admitted but would hate to tell someone they are certain to be admitted and have them encounter an embarrassing situation.

I've only spent about 700 days on board Celebrity ships so maybe I need a little more experience to be able to report what I've seen.

Yes, I did see a couple of men turned away for not having jackets on my Summit cruise last month. I don't know what the confusion is with gergles because this has been unquestionably been going on for years. Problem is enforcement is spotty and probably very often based upon itinerary.

For years, people have come on the board and told others wear what you want, it doesn't matter. I always say whenever someone says that, they are not the one's who will be embarrassed when the person is not allowed in a venue. It is just wrong to give that advice because all it takes is once, just bad advice.

Edited by dkjretired

Yes, I did see a couple of men turned away for not having jackets on my Summit cruise last month. I don't know what the confusion is with gergles because this has been unquestionably been going on for years. Problem is enforcement is spotty and probably very often based upon itinerary.

For years, people have come on the board and told others wear what you want, it doesn't matter. I always say whenever someone says that, they are not the one's who will be embarrassed when the person is not allowed in a venue. It is just wrong to give that advice because all it takes is once, just bad advice.

Agree. Second paragraph is right on.

Sorry,I think that's Cunard.

I've asked the question on 4 previous s/class cruises and all said the same... Jackets are required ties are not...

Personally, I feel that the tie/bowtie makes the man. Though the rules seem vague,according to the interview with the cruiseline director, it seems that ties should be required.

The Managers insisted that they have jackets and there were 3 jackets available in Murano. The Manager dropped off a plaid one which you usually see at thrift shops. But at least the cruiser did not have to wear it. It was put over the back of his chair. We got a chuckle out of that! Same thing occurred in Blu on that cruise. But that was the first time we saw that in Blu but had seen that previously in Murano.

That cruiser should have filed a complaint against the restaurant manager for this. Why would he behave in a manner that could easily make a guest feel embarrassed and humiliated when the guest was compliant with the rules? My husband has NO desire to wear a suit jacket on vacation, and I have been carefully researching what we can do to avoid this. I hope to eat at the specialty restaurants on formal nights and also on our anniversary, which we are celebrating on the cruise (alternatively we will order MDR meal to be delivered to our room).

But after all that research and planning; making reservations and paying extra to dine at Murano, I would be so angry to be treated in this way by the manager. And I would be sure to let him know about it!

That cruiser should have filed a complaint against the restaurant manager for this. Why would he behave in a manner that could easily make a guest feel embarrassed and humiliated when the guest was compliant with the rules? My husband has NO desire to wear a suit jacket on vacation, and I have been carefully researching what we can do to avoid this. I hope to eat at the specialty restaurants on formal nights and also on our anniversary, which we are celebrating on the cruise (alternatively we will order MDR meal to be delivered to our room).

But after all that research and planning; making reservations and paying extra to dine at Murano, I would be so angry to be treated in this way by the manager. And I would be sure to let him know about it!

Couple of years ago, some of the bosses on board went rogue and tried to make their own rules. From what I understand they were told in no uncertain terms to follow the rules which this guy obviously was not. Also, don't know how far back this goes but when some of the ships came out they did not have the "smart casual" rule in the specialties but that is long gone.

Personally, I feel that the tie/bowtie makes the man. Though the rules seem vague,according to the interview with the cruiseline director, it seems that ties should be required.

I totally disagree and am very happy they aren't required.;)

Clothing choices can be subjective. This one person on our last trip came into dinner in Blu a couple of times with a collarless Yankee baseball shirt. I guess he considered himself as being "smart casual".

Most people coming into Murano on formal night were nicely dressed for the occasion.