Carnival Corp Dividend Increase

paul929207

When we bought this stock in 2013 our adviser tried to dissuade us from purchasing..."bad investment", "slow growth".

It has doubled $$$ since we bought it. Plus dividends, plus OBC. Works for me!!

Yeah .. don't I know it. Stupid me should have bought it when the stock market went in the dumper a few years back, but I didn't think about it. Now it seems quite expensive, but maybe it will just keep on going up with the popularity of cruising.

When we bought shares at $36, we thought it was high but wanted that OBC. The OBC, dividends and stock growth...,WOW. Love CCL.

I agree. I bought this stock for the OBC. The dividend helps but I doubt I will ever sell this stock. I got $100 OBC in March and expect $50 in Oct. The dividend is a bonus.

I "think" I paid $36.98 - essentially $37 - so my shares are up $15 each. I only bought the requisite 100 shares but figured it was an awesome buy as I was getting zip from the bank and I immediately got $250 OBC so the ROI was fine with me. The dividend is a bonus and I'm happy it's going up.

With only the 100 shares that I need to hang onto for the OBC the current price isn't really important to me but, of course, I am very happy it's way up rather than way down. :)

One thing to note (and I say this holding a not insignificant number of shares) that the money for the dividends comes at a price, as that is money either not invested back into the line OR money that has to be cut from expenses.

Do think about that when bemoaning cost cuts.

I suspect that the drop in bunker oil, for about a year now, is keeping Carnival Corp. costs down. Also sending more ships to Asia and Australia, where the requirements for clean fuel(higher costs) is more lax saves tons of money.

I suspect that the drop in bunker oil, for about a year now, is keeping Carnival Corp. costs down. Also sending more ships to Asia and Australia, where the requirements for clean fuel(higher costs) is more lax saves tons of money.

At the last quarterly conference call, the CEO also said that booking for the 4th quarter of 2015 & first quarter of next year were running ahead of last year at higher prices.

While the 5 cent per share increase is nice....to put it in perspective, for those of us who have the 100 shares that is $5 per quarter....let's see that will purchase a double shot specialty coffee, the tip and a few cents left to...I give up. Hey, as the people of the north say "its better than a kick in the butt with a wet mukluk". :D

Uuhhh, that is $5 US! Or what...about $1800 Canadian?

CCL was available for about $35 a share only 9 months ago (and RCL $57) when the plunge in oil prices briefly sucked a lot of other shares down the drain as well. Then it sunk in that lower oil should translate into higher share prices for cruse lines, air lines etc. CCL and RCL are each up almost exactly 50% in the 9 months since while much of the rest of the markets have just been spinning their wheels in the mud since then.

I bought both CCL and RCL almost exactly 5 years ago in the summer of 2010. I bought:

CCL at $30 and now it is up 72% at $52.

RCL at $24 and now it is up 250% at $84.

It is pretty clear who has done much better than the other over the 5 year period but maybe CCL will manage to play catch up to some extent eventually. Fortunately I didn't limit my purchase to just the 100 shares of each needed to get the Shareholder Benefit but I do have twice as much CCL as RCL so I could have done even better.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Uuhhh, that is $5 US! Or what...about $1800 Canadian?

CCL was available for about $35 a share only 9 months ago (and RCL $57) when the plunge in oil prices briefly sucked a lot of other shares down the drain as well. Then it sunk in that lower oil should translate into higher share prices for cruse lines, air lines etc. CCL and RCL are each up almost exactly 50% in the 9 months since while much of the rest of the markets have just been spinning their wheels in the mud since then.

I bought both CCL and RCL almost exactly 5 years ago in the summer of 2010. I bought:

CCL at $30 and now it is up 72% at $52.

RCL at $24 and now it is up 250% at $84.

It is pretty clear who has done much better than the other over the 5 year period but maybe CCL will manage to play catch up to some extent eventually. Fortunately I didn't limit my purchase to just the 100 shares of each needed to get the Shareholder Benefit but I do have twice as much CCL as RCL so I could have done even better.

Terry

$5 USD goes a fair way here also. While CCL may not have doen as well as the RCL shares, the good thing about them is that there tends to be no restrictions. RCL share holder benefit seem to be not combinable with most offers or promotions.:(

Yeah you got it even worse than we did in Canada. The whole time that we were just 1 to 3 cents below the US$ you were about 4 cents above the US$. Now you are several cents below even the Canadian $.

Yes Princess is very good about allowing multiple sources of OBC to be combined while other cruise lines make you choose the one that works best for you on any particular cruise. It always amazes me that they allow any of it to be cashed out if unused on the cruise as well.

Terry

Carnival Corp has raised the quarterly dividend 20% to 30 US cents per share effective with the next dividend payment.

Yippee!!!!!!!!!

This was the first stock is bought with my dad's input. He scoffed at it saying it would do much. Told him I bought it for the onboard credit. Before he died 7 years ago, it had doubled in value. When I told him, he just shook his head and laughed. It felt so good to be successful. I

Would love to know what he thinks about this latest news.

My grandfather taught me 50 years ago to invest in what you use. From our profile you can tell we use the product and have invested in the corporation. I treat the Shareholder Benefit as a non-taxable dividend and now I look forward to the taxable dividend increase.

I've always been happy with this investment. I bought 100 shares at $25/share in 2008 and now it's worth $52/share! I let all profits be reinvested, so between this increase and dividends I now have 115 shares. And this is in my IRA. I've already received $1,250 in OBC and will get $250 more in a few months. :D

I've always been happy with this investment. I bought 100 shares at $25/share in 2008 and now it's worth $52/share! I let all profits be reinvested, so between this increase and dividends I now have 115 shares. And this is in my IRA. I've already received $1,250 in OBC and will get $250 more in a few months. :D

Unless it is a Roth IRA where the increase in stock value (if sold) and dividends will never be taxed, it is better to own the stock in a non-IRA account.

Sooner or later for a regular IRA the assets have to be withdrawn and will be taxed at full normal tax rates. No reduced capital gains rate. No lower dividend tax rate.

Yeah you got it even worse than we did in Canada. The whole time that we were just 1 to 3 cents below the US$ you were about 4 cents above the US$. Now you are several cents below even the Canadian $.

Yes Princess is very good about allowing multiple sources of OBC to be combined while other cruise lines make you choose the one that works best for you on any particular cruise. It always amazes me that they allow any of it to be cashed out if unused on the cruise as well.

Terry

Yes, our Government was determined to devalue our dollar. I suppose they have done something that they meant to for once.