Latest Brochure Prices

JF - retired RRT

Never cruised on Oceania, elite on Princess.

I just received the brochure that advertises: airfare, gratuities, internet, etc. all included in the 2 for 1 fare.

When I crunch the numbers...(I did a search and got air fare estimates), it LOOKS like the total cost is very competitive with what I usually pay on Princess. Am I looking at this wrong? Is there a secret gotcha?

Thanks for any help/opinions

I just received the brochure that advertises: airfare, gratuities, internet, etc. all included in the 2 for 1 fare.

When I crunch the numbers...(I did a search and got air fare estimates), it LOOKS like the total cost is very competitive with what I usually pay on Princess. Am I looking at this wrong? Is there a secret gotcha?

If you travel in a nicer class of cabin on Princess, then the prices are quite competitive.

It is possible, however, to sail on Princess for much, much less if cost is ones priority.

Since the 2 for 1 is sometimes confusing, the brochure pricing is per person so you have to double the lower brochure price for your category to get the correct answer.

You see the higher fare shown on the left in the brochure is what they are calling the full fare cutting at least in half and sometimes even a bit less to get the fare on the right which is per person.

The above is perhaps the secret gotcha you asked about. Please let us know if you priced it the above way or by using one fare on the right for the two people.

Since the 2 for 1 is sometimes confusing, the brochure pricing is per person so you have to double the lower brochure price for your category to get the correct answer.

You see the higher fare shown on the left in the brochure is what they are calling the full fare cutting at least in half and sometimes even a bit less to get the fare on the right which is per person.

The above is perhaps the secret gotcha you asked about. Please let us know if you priced it the above way or by using one fare on the right for the two people.

Yes, there's that. If you used the price on the right, and then cut it in half, it would be a great deal. Rarely do I find a normal Oceania price(from the right side) to be anywhere close to Celebrity's rates(which are similar to Princess). But I've never booked suites on Celebrity.

get the fare on the right which is per person.

I calculated the per person fare.

The fare is more total money, until you deduct gratuities, air fare, etc. and look at just the "cruise" fare.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

I actually did a comparison price-wise between Oceania and Princess with our cruise next year.

When I chose a suite in Princess and include the business class airfare, Princess will costs us closer to the amount we are going to pay in Oceania.

I actually did a comparison price-wise between Oceania and Princess with our cruise next year.

When I chose a suite in Princess and include the business class airfare, Princess will costs us closer to the amount we are going to pay in Oceania.

I'm pretty sure you won't be getting Business class for Oceania, unless you had a TA price it that way. Of course it depends on which Suite you were looking at on Princess and which room you were looking at on Oceania. Their standard rooms aren't really any larger than a standard room on Princess/Celebrity etc. They do have much better beds though.

You realize, of course, that a suite on Princess will be larger than a veranda cabin on Oceania.

We are also elite on Princess. We originally booked the Princess 2015 world cruise but switched to the Oceania world cruise. Besides the much better Oceania itinerary, the per day price was not that much higher on O. Hard to compare as the benefits vary but things like a free pre night hotel and airfare on O but not on Princess make up some of the difference.

I have compared some other voyages and on some O is a lot higher than Princess for similar itineraries. If just looking at price then Princess is better, especially with O's high excursions prices but as experienced O customers will say, life on board does not compare.

There are many differences between the lines. I think of the Princess ships as a Sheraton and the Oceania as a Westin. We usually take a mini-suite with Princess and a Concierge or Penthouse on Oceania.

There is no comparison in the food department.

Oceania has a more casual elegance.

The Oceania ships and amenities are much nicer.

There are many included extras on Oceania - like the fitness center has no extra charges unless you take a class with extra charges - like Mat Pilates.

Baristas is included - no coffee card required.

Specialty restaurants are included.

Less passengers in most cases.

Less selling on board of extras.

Entertainment - Princess has better production shows.

The Captain's table dining experience is exceptional. One of the best experiences in dining at sea that I have had. A notch below the La Reserve Dinner but half the price.

We would sail Princess again for the right itinerary but we favor Oceania for the reasons above

There are many differences between the lines. I think of the Princess ships as a Sheraton and the Oceania as a Westin. We usually take a mini-suite with Princess and a Concierge or Penthouse on Oceania.

There is no comparison in the food department.

Oceania has a more casual elegance.

The Oceania ships and amenities are much nicer.

There are many included extras on Oceania - like the fitness center has no extra charges unless you take a class with extra charges - like Mat Pilates.

Baristas is included - no coffee card required.

Specialty restaurants are included.

Less passengers in most cases.

Less selling on board of extras.

Entertainment - Princess has better production shows.

The Captain's table dining experience is exceptional. One of the best experiences in dining at sea that I have had. A notch below the La Reserve Dinner but half the price.

We would sail Princess again for the right itinerary but we favor Oceania for the reasons above

Also,

Free soft drinks on Oceania

However, Princess Elites get some free internet, mini bar set up, priority tendering among others.

Princess has some of the most diverse itineraries.

It is definitely apples and oranges in cruising and the term "You get what you pay for" applies here, IMO :)

Interesting. I just did the same thing for a Mediterranean cruise and found that Oceania was still FAR more expensive for a comparable cabin. AND the Princess cruise was 2 days longer than the Oceania one (I couldn't find an exact match). I always want an air deviation (and so should you so you can arrive at least a day early) from Oceania, so you do have to add that to Oceania's cost.

Found my worksheet

10 day cruise on Sirena: $14,298

12 day cruise on Pacific Princess: $10,377

These figures are for 2 people and at the same time of year in the Med.

Sirena and Pacific Princess are sister ships and the above costs are for a cabin in the exact same area of the ship.

I've been on probably 15 cruises on Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Going on NCL in the fall. I have looked at Oceania in the past and I am considering it again. Prices really don't seem bad even compared to do I dare say, these other cruise lines. I'm NOT talking suite to suite here. More like ocean view to ocean view. Still prices are good.

So why do these high-end companies always claim these "2 for 1" deals. Do they really think we are fooled? Do they ever NOT charge 2 for 1? Sounds like not.

I think RC and Carnival are fine, but in the last few years the selling has just gotten out of hand. Pictures, drinks, flowers, you name it. I'm getting very sick of the nickle and diming on every turn.

Edited by ano

Found my worksheet

Sirena and Pacific Princess are sister ships and the above costs are for a cabin in the exact same area of the ship.

That is about right.

Out of curiosity - does the Sirena price include air or is it without air?

That is about right.

Out of curiosity - does the Sirena price include air or is it without air?

The Sirena price does include air. So does the Princess price (I checked on Orbitz for an estimate).

Edited by avalong
clarifying info

Found my worksheet

Is the sailing part of the new O life package where it includes some excursions

Do you buy specialty restaurants, coffees, sodas, milkshakes & Ice cream on Princess ? You have to add those costs as well to the price & of course the gratuities

If you shop around you can find a TA that will give PPG or maybe even the sailing on Oceania has them

Just comparing apples to apples

Edited by LHT28

So why do these high-end companies always claim these "2 for 1" deals. Do they really think we are fooled? Do they ever NOT charge 2 for 1? Sounds like not.

It is a marketing game

Other cruise lines have jumped into the game so I guess they must think consumers are dumb :eek:

I wish they would drop the 2 for 1 slogan

If you shop around you can find a TA that will give PPG or maybe even the sailing on Oceania has them

Speaking of apples to apples, while PPG is nice, it doesn't compare to a 10% rebate of the cruise cost less air and taxes. Take the cash and spend it where you like. In many cases you get a check before you leave home on your cruise.

Simply takes finding the right TA who also provides service and there are several around, just have to find them.

It is a marketing game

Other cruise lines have jumped into the game so I guess they must think consumers are dumb :eek:

I wish they would drop the 2 for 1 slogan

If you look at Viking Ocean Cruises site it looks and reads like Oceania. When I first looked at it I wondered if they were partners.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

JF,Princess, very Mass Market; O is premium.So different. Look here on World Cruise/ Best WC ship based on Priorities, #s 4 and 5.Most of extra inclusions on my recent WC segments are listed. Food quality a world apart also.

Edited by zoncom

Is the sailing part of the new O life package where it includes some excursions

Do you buy specialty restaurants, coffees, sodas, milkshakes & Ice cream on Princess ? You have to add those costs as well to the price & of course the gratuities

Yes, of course, all those things you mention are extra on Princess. Although I think one would be hard-pressed to spend an extra $4,000 on them. ;) And as was mentioned above the food is much better on Oceania, as is the service and overall ambiance. There are many things, some of them intangible, to be taken into consideration.

And as was mentioned above the food is much better on Oceania, as is the service and overall ambiance. There are many things, some of them intangible, to be taken into consideration.

I agree

but some are not willing to pay more for ambiance & intangible things ;)

One Princess cruise was enough for me to know it was not for me

YMMV

I agree

but some are not willing to pay more for ambiance & intangible things ;)

One Princess cruise was enough for me to know it was not for me

YMMV

Same here. You know what they say about first impressions. I found Costa to be better than Princess.