Euro exchange

The most economical way to get Euros is to use an ATM when you get to Europe. If you have the right bank card (Capital One is an example), you can do this with no foreigh transaction fees and no ATM fees.

Hello,will be on the Allure in September for Mediterranean cruise.was wondering will I be able to exchange cash/credit cards for euros on the ship? If not ,what's the best way to aquire euros? Thanks!

At the airport kiosk. At an ATM (however, check with bank to verify you won't get huge cash advance fee). Done it both ways, but my CC does not charge a cash advance fee for this.

The most economical way to get Euros is to use an ATM when you get to Europe. If you have the right bank card (Capital One is an example), you can do this with no foreigh transaction fees and no ATM fees.

Thanks for the info,especially about the Capital One card,since mine is on the way to me.Thanks again!

Thanks for the info,especially about the Capital One card,since mine is on the way to me.Thanks again!

Just want to explain that the ATM fees will show up on your statement, but they will be reimbursed up to $30 per month.

AAA is a good option if you are a member. There is no fee as long as you are spending $200. I was actually at our local AAA ordering money today. Had I needed Euros, they actually have them on hand. Otherwise, it is only 3-5 business days, though I was told that it is usually quicker.

any bank can get them .... takes a few days typically .... fees vary ... AAA was more expensive in our town (even having booked the entire trip thru AAA)

We liked having some in our pocket as soon as we landed .... atho where we landed did not like EUROS (poor exchange rate on the street) so I used an ATM in the airport to get local and that was easy too . . .

any bank can get them .... takes a few days typically .... . . .

It takes a few days to get a currency used in 19 countries by 338.6 million Europeans ..... they seriously do not have € in stock in USA banks??!!:eek:

Are you kidding?

I'm sure banks in New York and other east coast gateway cities have a better supply of Euros. However, we live in a smaller town and there is only one bank that carries Euros, only a very limited supply, with a poor exchange rate.

Edited by clarea

It takes a few days to get a currency used in 19 countries by 338.6 million Europeans ..... they seriously do not have € in stock in USA banks??!!:eek:

Are you kidding?

within 5 mile radius of my house I wager there are 50 banks

and the call for EUROs is probably once or twice a month ... AT BEST for the entire area.

That they don't hold them on site surprises me NOT . . .

I've got 50 left over and trying to find some place/way to get US for them without paying a crazy fee!

Some of our excursions required cash rather than credit card. [i.e. our Normandy tour was 125 euro each] At the time the exchange rate was 1.4 USD to Euro. With lunch and souvenirs that was a lot to pull out on one day.

We bought euros and GBP before we left for our last TA at our bank. I did extensive research to see where the best rates were. I found my bank [Wachovia]would charge me a fee when I used an ATM that was out of network and there was a daily limit. However, the only fee for getting the currency before we left was the postage to send the currency to our bank. I think it was $14. [took 2 days] The exchange rate was pretty close to what the daily exchange rate I noted online. I know I will not get that rate anywhere --it is for banks and large institutions.

We used our CC for large purchases. [i.e. hotel and transportation (Oyster card) in London.

We are going on another TA in 2016 and I will do this again.

This worked out for us.

Some of our excursions required cash rather than credit card. [i.e. our Normandy tour was 125 euro each] At the time the exchange rate was 1.4 USD to Euro. With lunch and souvenirs that was a lot to pull out on one day.

We bought euros and GBP before we left for our last TA at our bank. I did extensive research to see where the best rates were. I found my bank [Wachovia]would charge me a fee when I used an ATM that was out of network and there was a daily limit. However, the only fee for getting the currency before we left was the postage to send the currency to our bank. I think it was $14. [took 2 days] The exchange rate was pretty close to what the daily exchange rate I noted online. I know I will not get that rate anywhere --it is for banks and large institutions.

We used our CC for large purchases. [i.e. hotel and transportation (Oyster card) in London.

We are going on another TA in 2016 and I will do this again.

This worked out for us.

Your last line says it all, do what works the best for you, not what anyone else says works for them. I went to AAA because it was convenient and for the CAD I ordered, the AAA was better than the rate at BOA. Not a huge difference, but still better and no fees (BOA has a delivery fee of $7.50 if ordered online, not sure of in bank order). AAA will also purchase back any excess bills, not coins, for no fee so that is a plus also.

I would suggest the OP find out what bank is associated with their bank so they can use an ATM for no fee while in port. I know BOA is associated with Barclay's which my son used fee free in London. They are also associated with Scotia Bank which we will use in Canada if we need additional currency.

" they seriously do not have € in stock in USA banks??!!"

Nor do have German banks US Dollars in stock!! Some years ago most banks in Germany gave up on currency exchange and closed down their own departments. Now I have to order foreign currencies (including all other European currencies like the British Pound). Or I go to a specialized travel bank (which is only available at large train stations or airports) and change cash.

My DD is visiting GB during the summer school holidays and therefore I retrieved some British Pounds at the ATM when we´ve been to Heathrow a couple of months ago. Cheaper than paying the fee to the travel bank.

steamboats

I live in a small town in NE Wisconsin and Euros are available from my regional bank, minimal charge. I did have to order the British Pound last year, arrived the next day, again same minimal charge. It surprises me, too, Euros wouldn't be readily available at most banks.

Well you learn something every day.....and I can walk into any supermarket, Marks & Spencer, or post office and get a wide range of currencies instantly. :rolleyes:

That´s what we had "pre Euro" :D (o.k., not in a supermarket and we didn´t have Marks & Spencer - not sure whether we have this today).

steamboats

Well you learn something every day.....and I can walk into any supermarket, Marks & Spencer, or post office and get a wide range of currencies instantly. :rolleyes:

I think we are truly spoiled in that we can also shop on the high street for the best rates too, even if it is only a half cent difference;).

We are a cosmopolitan country for sure:).

Marks and Spencer for a High street store is a great way for anyone wanting forgien exchange rates and over the counter too.

Because the exchange rate is so good (1.40€ to £1) I picked up some €€ whilst in M&S this morning, when buying a few burgers for the barbie tonight.:rolleyes:

It seems 'so last century' that you would have to 'order' any currency.

Our little M&S have most in stock. In fact I think I will pop in tomorrow and test them with some Indonesian Rupiah or some Argentinian Pesos to see if they have them in stock......

:cool: