Taking food off the ship

I have been browsing these boards and notice some people say they bring a small cooler for sandwiches from the cafe' on board out to port while docked to avoid having to pay for food while on the island or having to go back on board for lunch....

That would be really convenient especially while in Grand Cayman since its a tendered island.....

But then I'm reading some post that say food like sandwiches are prohibited from leaving the ship. Saying they search bags and have sniffing dogs etc...

After spending thousand for this vacation, I'm looking for ways to cut as much cost as possible. Food out to port can be expensive and I don't want to have to run back and forth from the ship every port.

So is it true? Can you or can't you take say a sandwich in a ziplock bag onto the islands in your tote? I also saw people say it depends on your port or sometimes they check sometimes they don't. Just wanted some more opinions.

We are visiting Labadee Haiti , Georgetown Grand Cayman, Cozumel Mexico and Falmouth Jamaica.

Thanks for your feedback

You cannot take ANYTHING but prepackaged things...like nabs, or pretzels, etc....stuff that is factory sealed. No meats, veggies, cheeses or fruit or flowers.

On Labadee, the ship provided a BBQ lunch on the beach....it's just like being ON the ship while you're at their private beach.

At other ports, eat a late, big breakfast, and get a snack ashore, if you need a little something.

If you attempt to take banned items ashore, you can be fined or even, arrested. It's for the good of the environment.

Edited by cb at sea

They absolutely go thru everyone's bags when getting off in Cozumel. (At least they did our last 4 cruises) I always have prepackaged peanut butter and crackers with me just in case my blood sugar needs a boost.

Years ago people would bring baggies from home and take sandwiches off, but I wouldn't try it these days.

Several ports have dog sniffers looking for those trying to bring food ashore. The ports we have been to have several large trash cans FULL of food. This includes fruit, cookies, sandwiches, cheese, etc. The only thing I have seen go through without confiscation is a covered beverage.

Don't risk it. They are serious.

I have been browsing these boards and notice some people say they bring a small cooler for sandwiches from the cafe' on board out to port while docked to avoid having to pay for food while on the island or having to go back on board for lunch....

I have never read that here. Most people on these boards know that you cannot take food off the ship. Where did you read this?

Labadee and Flamouth are *ahem* barely ports, in my opinion. On Labadee you will get the BBQ lunch which is actually brought from the ship, and Falmouth has a port area for shopping and stuff but we actually had Jamaican patties there - several, in fact - YUM!. My point is, at these two ports you can be back on the ship within minutes if you need something "else" to eat.

After spending thousands on vacation, why not spend a few bucks to enjoy the local foods and restaurants rather than pack a sandwich...............:rolleyes:

No sandwich. Noooo sandwich.

I can confirm from experience that you cannot take food. Can't even remember which port but my DH had an apple in his backpack when we boarded the ship. Forgot about it and at our 1st port took the backpack complete with the forgotten apple off the ship. We were stopped by a cute little beagle who got very excited when he sniffed around the bag. It was really embarrassing so take my advice and don't do it.

FACTORY SEALED ITEMS ONLY

if you are being super stingy, that means the boxes of cereal from the breakfast buffet and the occasional bag of chips. or granola bars/protein bars from home.

And in some cases not even some factory sealed items are allowed. A number of countries have laws forbidding importation of most packaged nuts (could germinate and become invasive) and some other items. New Zealand forbids importation of any honey, even if factory packaged. Australia has been known to jail people for not declaring factory sealed food items.On most islands in the Galapagos not only is it forbidden to take food ashore, you are forbidden from relieving yourself on the islands; park rangers who stay multiple days on the islands have a list of foods they are forbidden to eat for several days before going ashore to make sure there is nothing invasive lurking in their intestinal tracts. I have entered Chile by land from Bolivia and encountered three separate food searches spread over a 100km buffer zone from the border which I understood as they are the only place in the world that has thus far escaped some agriculture problems (eg grape vine root phylloxera). What I did not understand when arriving in Chile by ship, it was forbidden to carry chocolate bars off the ship, but it was allowed to put it in luggage to be delivered to your hotel:confused:

Thom

...Australia has been known to jail people for not declaring factory sealed food items...

I have been watching Australian "Border Patrol" and it scares the life out of me! You are right, they are serious. I don't think I'll even have a stick of gum on me if I ever go to Oz. :D

What makes it confusing is that countries have different rules, so the "you can't take anything ashore" is the normal and safe answer.

I was married on board( in Baltimore, MD/USA), and my MIL wanted to take the top of the cake ashore to hold for us... The cruise staff told us we couldn't. (That cake still tasted good mid-cruise!)

Being curious, I checked the CBP rules after i got home; turns out that baked goods are perfectly fine to be imported into the US. (They should still be declared.)

But if you aren't 100% sure of the agriculture importation laws in the country you are visiting it's best to leave it on the ship

Aloha,

John

Edited by jcl410
edit

First, you absolutely should follow the rules.

That said, I've never had a bag searched on entering any Caribbean port. So while I'm not suggesting you should break any laws, I have no doubt that some people do bring food ashore with them.

on our last cruise I took a banana off the ship at each port and never saw the fruit sniffing dog.

I did see them in the airports and one lady in our group had her orange confiscated.

Fresh fruits are the one thing almost guaranteed to be banned in any port! Caribbean Islands (and U.S. States, for that matter) are obsessively protective of their fruit growing industries, with good reason. Introduction of an invasive pest can not only have long term effects on their industry, but immediate effects if a banned species (such as the Mediterranean fruit fly in the U.S. years ago) results in embargoes or quarantines. Which have happened.

Not cruise related, but one of those nice little beagles sat very pretty next to a carry on at Dulles on my last trip. Not sure what happened to the guy, but he definitely got pulled out of the green line...

First, you absolutely should follow the rules.

That said, I've never had a bag searched on entering any Caribbean port. So while I'm not suggesting you should break any laws, I have no doubt that some people do bring food ashore with them.

Outside of Cozumel I haven't seen them actively search people for food. Cozumel has dogs and the dogs sniff everyone. I've seen them confiscate fruit every single cruise.

In most Caribbean ports you cannot take most food items off the ship except for water and prepackaged items.

This is not always the case in other places around the world (it varies such as Australia and New Zealand where they strictly enforce no food items to other places such as many in Europe where we can take food off the ship).

Best to abide by the rules.

Keith

First of all we are not talking about rules here!!! We are talking about laws !!!

Each Country has it´s own laws and will set the way how they enforce it and what the fines will be for breaking them.

This has nothing to do with the cruiselines.