1st time cruiser- shocked at constant sales pressure on ship

bmorrow492

There's a big difference between informing you what's available for purchase and a hard-sell pitch.

I've never felt, on any of the major lines I've sailed (almost all of them) that I was getting the hard-sell. Frequent reminders, sure, but after a while you don't even hear them - not unlike ads on TV.

Yes, it can get annoying sometimes, but easy enough to ignore and certainly not worth giving up all the other pleasures that cruising brings.

Whoever it was, don't sail with them again. I've been on many and the only time that has happened to me was when we went to the art auction... And it's an auction, kind of expected.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that certain services on board such as the spa, shops, and photographer are not ship employees or cruise line owned but are third party contractors who earn their money by selling their services to the captive audiences on board. The simple thing is to just say no thank you and let it go.

The other on board activities "sold" such as the bingo, drink packages, and specialty restaurants are also optional and typically are offered as a choice for those passengers that are interested. But the key word is "optional" and again, if not interested ignore it.

Our experience is that day 1 is the big "hit" time for drink packages and specialty restaurants as people are just getting on board and waiting for their staterooms to open. But for those who are interested or may be newer cruisers not aware of those services, this is a good thing. We've never found it to be a "hard sell", however.

Quite frankly, I think that the OP is correct depending upon which line is sailed. Some examples are....

• pushy and obnoxious photographers
  • constant Bingo announcements
  • stations set up outside of the buffet with spa specials, inches of gold, drink packages, cookbooks, (etc., etc., etc.)
  • port talks which are nothing more than sales pitches for shops that provide kickbacks to the cruise lines
  • sales of junk merchandise set up on the lido decks

None of the above lend to refined luxury.

No different than most shopping centers including upscale malls. Why would this bother anyone?

Quite frankly, I think that the OP is correct depending upon which line is sailed. Some examples are....

• stations set up outside of the buffet with spa specials, inches of gold, drink packages, cookbooks, (etc., etc., etc.)
  • port talks which are nothing more than sales pitches for shops that provide kickbacks to the cruise lines

No different than most shopping centers including upscale malls. Why would this bother anyone?

That is quite odd. None of the shopping malls I shop at have obnoxious photographers hounding us to take our photos. None of the malls I shop at have constant Bingo announcements. None of the malls I shop at have port talks with sales pitches for shops that provide kickbacks to the mall owners. None of the malls I shop at have lido decks where they sell junk merchandise.

Not sure how these annoying cruise ship activities are "no different than most shopping centers". I have never encountered any of these things where I go shopping. :confused:

I must not be shopping at the same malls that you do.

Edited by sloopsailor

That is quite odd. None of the shopping malls I shop at have obnoxious photographers hounding us to take our photos. None of the malls I shop at have constant Bingo announcements. None of the malls I shop at have port talks with sales pitches for shops that provide kickbacks to the mall owners. None of the malls I shop at have lido decks where they sell junk merchandise.

Not sure how these annoying cruise ship activities are "no different than most shopping centers". I have never encountered any of these things where I go shopping. :confused:

Well of course they may not be for the exact same things - it's a different environment. You've never seen all of the sales signs plastered in the windows of most stores? Or the pretty girl spritzing perfume samples in the department stores? Or the samples given away at Sam's Club or Costco? I sure have - they're all doing the same thing. We can either be polite and say no, or simply ignore them and walk on by.

This thread has certainly been interesting reading. My experiences on Carnival has been similar to the others that have chimed in here - they sell lots of stuff, but none of it has been overwhelming. A firm "no thank you" has so far taken care of all of the more annoying ones.

But OP was talking about sales dressed as entertainment which none of the things you quote are, they are all pure sales techniques.

Well of course they may not be for the exact same things - it's a different environment. You've never seen all of the sales signs plastered in the windows of most stores? Or the pretty girl spritzing perfume samples in the department stores? Or the samples given away at Sam's Club or Costco? I sure have - they're all doing the same thing. We can either be polite and say no, or simply ignore them and walk on by.

I still have never experiences any "hard selling" at local malls. In all cases, they may have a table set up and you go up to it if you want. Never do they try to pull you in, or are pushy or obnoxious. Signs in the windows are so passive that they hardly count because they are only noticeable if you look at them. The pretty girl spritzing perfume only does so for people who go up to her - she doesn't "target" them by going after them. Same with samples at department or grocery stores. Your curiosity is what leads you to go to them. They aren't intruding on you if you don't want.

So, there is a huge difference with the sales techniques sometimes seen on the bargain cruise line and a typical local mall. Not the same at all.

Edited by sloopsailor

I haven't felt a hard court press to buy on my cruises regardless of the line.

I do wonder if the pressure is proportional to the price you pay for the cruise as in less sales pitch on higher priced lines compared to more sales pitch on the cheaper lines.

Maybe someone with experience with a variety of lines can say.

I still have never experiences any "hard selling" at local malls. In all cases, they may have a table set up and you go up to it if you want. Never do they try to pull you in, or are pushy or obnoxious. Signs in the windows are so passive that they hardly count because they are only noticeable if you look at them. The pretty girl spritzing perfume only does so for people who go up to her - she doesn't "target" them by going after them. Same with samples at department or grocery stores. Your curiosity is what leads you to go to them. They aren't intruding on you if you don't want.

So, there is a huge difference with the sales techniques sometimes seen on the bargain cruise line and a typical local mall. Not the same at all.

I can tell you that there was a difference between our RC cruise and previous Carnival ones. We had no sales pressure at all on RCI other than a casual mention from the watch or jewelry table, but certainly nothing overbearing or pressuring in any way. We know better than to go the the shopping talks, spa demos, art auctions, and really enjoyed the absence of obnoxious sales announcements over the PA system.:)

I can tell you that there was a difference between our RC cruise and previous Carnival ones. We had no sales pressure at all on RCI other than a casual mention from the watch or jewelry table, but certainly nothing overbearing or pressuring in any way. We know better than to go the the shopping talks, spa demos, art auctions, and really enjoyed the absence of obnoxious sales announcements over the PA system.:)

Celebrity and Azamara are the same. One PA announcement per day, and it is only used to give information on course, weather, and a brief description of the next port of call and what specific requirements are necessary to go ashore, such as proper documentation, etc. They never broadcast any sales pitches, bingo times, pool activities, etc. Plus, even these aren't heard in private cabins. To hear them, you have to turn the TV on to a specific channel, or open the door. Very nice!

I do wonder if the pressure is proportional to the price you pay for the cruise as in less sales pitch on higher priced lines compared to more sales pitch on the cheaper lines. Maybe someone with experience with a variety of lines can say.

The answer is yes, based on my experience with NCL, Carnival, Princess, Disney, Celebrity and Azamara. The budget lines have much more "hard selling" than the more upscale lines.

Edited by sloopsailor

I wonder if OP's TV and Radio have ads IMG entertainment riddled with ads.

Or even how they feel about product placement in movies. :eek:

Huh? What does radio, TV or movies have in common with being on a cruise ship??? :confused:

Or the Kiosk sales people? I've had them interrupt a phone call before. RUDE.

Just like anything, they are trying to make max profit. Try walking through Waikiki or Vegas without someone trying to sell you something on ever inch of sidewalk.

I don't remember a lot of sales pitches on the cruises we've taken, but those darn photographers got on my last nerve. Couldn't get off the ship without them trying to snap your picture with some cheesy mascot.

We were on Carnival Valor most recently. We did not find it difficult to say no to all the photographers on the ship. What did bother us was that often the photography stations were set up so that they were in the way. One example was the lineup area at the beginning of my time dining. There was a crowd there every night, so why would Carnival allow the photographer to set up one of his screens right where the line had to go? It just made the crowd congestion worse. My thinking is that they were hoping people would get their photos taken while they were in line so they could make some more money. I just found them annoying and in the way. It was impossible to walk through there if you were on your way to someplace else.

You've been a member since Dec. 2014 and odd that just now you post for the first time. ok whatever..

I don't think that's odd. There's probably many people who join this site and other ones, but mostly just read what others have posted.

There's a big difference between informing you what's available for purchase and a hard-sell pitch.

I've never felt, on any of the major lines I've sailed (almost all of them) that I was getting the hard-sell. Frequent reminders, sure, but after a while you don't even hear them - not unlike ads on TV.

Yes, it can get annoying sometimes, but easy enough to ignore and certainly not worth giving up all the other pleasures that cruising brings.

So true. I wouldn't consider all those pieces of paper in my cabin in-box telling me about spa specials or other ways to spend money as a "hard sell."

On my last cruise, the only time we were given any kind of pitch was for the soda card (especially since we had a teen with us), but we had brought on my "Dew" and since I don't care for Coke products, I had no interest in a soda card...and I just simply said "no thanks" each time. We didn't get asked from the second day on. (the teen did buy a few sodas when she was up on deck, instead of coming back to the cabin to get "free" soda each time, but it wouldn't it been enough to warrant getting a soda sticker)

I did have one spa treatment on a Princess cruise (hubby decided to treat me) but I didn't get any kind of pitch for any product.

Most of the time I haven't experience this at malls near me, but there's been a few kiosks that must have staff depending heavily on commissions...and some of these people can get very aggressive about coming up to people walking by. A couple of times I've written to the mall management to complain as I feel this interferes with the experience of going to a mall (and may tend to make some mall goers consider driving to a farther mall).

Most of the time I haven't experience this at malls near me' date=' but there's been a few kiosks that must have staff depending heavily on commissions...and some of these people can get very aggressive about coming up to people walking by. A couple of times I've written to the mall management to complain as I feel this interferes with the experience of going to a mall (and may tend to make some mall goers consider driving to a farther mall).[/quote']

I have experienced these leeches as well at a local mall. Very annoying. When a particularly persistent leech approaches me I tell them to "Get lost!" just loud enough for them to hear. That usually does the job. I have zero tolerance for pushy people. :mad:

Also annoying is the piped in music they blast all over the mall. As if that isn't bad enough, the trendy clothing stores are blasting their own music so loud that it can be heard yards away down the mall. Hearing two separate competing music sources at the same time is absolutely not conducive to a pleasant experience. Yet, the mall management seems totally oblivious to the poor shopping experience they are allowing. :(

Edited by SantaFeFan

I'm 65, a recent retiree, and have just taken the first of what I expected would be many cruises. However, if my recent experience is typical of cruising, then it was my last cruise. I have always heard that a cruise offered lots of entertainment venues aboard ship. I found however, that almost every "entertainment" activity offered was actually just a thinly disguised sales pitch. At every activity we attended we were pressured to buy one thing or another. Are all cruise lines like this? (I will with hold the name of our cruise line, but it was one of the major ones.) Someone please tell me that all cruise lines do not constantly hound you to buy things.

If you don't want to be nickle-dimed to death and bothered will sakes pressure, head to Oceania.

The only line where we found it intrusive was on NCL, especially before performances in the theatre, when scratch cards were being sold for- I think-$20 a time, for the prize of a cruise. To our amazement, people were buying them! :rolleyes:

Perhaps because it is Monday and I'm long overdue for another cruise but I'll chime in anyway. What works for me is to simply say "No Thank You" and keep on moving. If they come at me again, I'll respond, "maybe you didn't hear me but I said no thank you" and keep moving. Third time is a charm, in a louder tone, "what part of no do you not get". I've yet to have an issue. :cool:

I have never seen any hard sell on Princess. Yes, they have people from the spa standing at different locations, but they have never tried to grab me. Of course, being a man, I was probably not what they were looking for.

The photographers can be annoying, but they don;t sell you anything. They just take your picture.

Waiters asking for drinks have never been pushy on Princess.

Also, no one ever forces anything on you. You can always smile and simply say no thanks....