USA Today → Cruise smackdown: Anthem of the Seas vs. Regal Princess

-Lew-

I think it would have been a fairer comparo, if it had been between RCI's Quantum Class, and NCL's Breakaway Class....they are more like each other....

I would perhaps compare the Royal Class with Celebrity's Solstice Class...

Whatever....I like 'em all....:)

Different things float different cruiser boats. I researched both Anthem and Regal and decided on Regal for an upcoming Carib cruise with the Grandkids. Selected Regal in the end. Here's why:

Food -overwhelming input from past cruisers on both lines was Regal was superior.

Disembarkation - Most never think about this but I talked to a couple of folks who disembarked Anthem and said it was a Hot Mess. Way too many people trying to exit at the same time.

Crowds - Input said Anthem felt VERY crowded. Regal, not so much.

Activities - My bias is, I'm on board to cruise, not go to an amusement park. Advantage Princess.

For those who like the Wally World aspect of Anthem and it's sister ship, fine. Go for it. As a seasoned cruiser, I've come to appreciate the things on ships that harken back to a more sophisticated age where quality of food, service, accommodations, counted for something.

As the saying goes, YMMV.

Edited by Aloha 1

Thank you for posting this. Wanted to go on Anthem or her sister for awhile. At least I'll get to go on Regal soon.

Would like to hear from someone who has been on both (or their sisters) for a comparison. Beyond the gimmicks on each, the choice of eating venues seems better on Anthem.

I would like to be doing what your picture is doing. Just staying on snow though. No air. :)

I think it would have been a fairer comparo, if it had been between RCI's Quantum Class, and NCL's Breakaway Class....they are more like each other....

I would perhaps compare the Royal Class with Celebrity's Solstice Class...

Whatever....I like 'em all....:)

That was exactly what I was going to suggest as a comparative. The one USA today is doing is an unfair one. Both ship don't attract the same crowds and have a different feel to them.

Don't get me wrong I would do any of the two but depending on my mood of the time the selection might be different.

Sea ya

Eric

I absolutely love RCI for all their different options. They have been able to combine both the amusement park atmosphere as well as the sophisticated aspect of cruising into one. Although I've only cruised Princess once before, I also love it for it's sophistication and absolutely wonderful cruise experience. I like to mix it up which is why I cruise a variety of cruise lines.

I think both are great lines for different reasons.

This line makes me wonder if the author has ever stepped foot on Regal:

...an expanded pool deck that transforms at night into a stage for an elaborate water and light show.

Elaborate? It's more like a backyard sprinkler than the Fountains of Bellagio. It also is a bit of a stretch to suggest that the reduction of Lido Deck pools down to one from two (on Grand Class) constitutes an "expanded" pool deck. At that rate, the next "expansion" will result in a deck with no pools.

This line makes me wonder if the author has ever stepped foot on Regal:

Elaborate? It's more like a backyard sprinkler than the Fountains of Bellagio. It also is a bit of a stretch to suggest that the reduction of Lido Deck pools down to one from two (on Grand Class) constitutes an "expanded" pool deck. At that rate, the next "expansion" will result in a deck with no pools.

Should we assume that since you haven't been on the ship that your description is better?:D

It might just be me, but I like the interaction of ordering a drink from a human bartender, instead of ordering on a computer screen and having a robot make the drink. For me, Regal Princess 1, Anthem 0.

Lol. And getting a drink from the other 20 bars onboard isn't an option?

Personally I'm excited to be sailing RCL again and agree with those that have stated these two ships should not be compared they totally different experiences.

I love these postings as it brings all the Princess protection squads out of the closet to protect a name even if they have never cruised or experienced another line. Its really amazes me how people react on different subjects and comes down to a lack of information.

Fair question. First, I like true, two-story dining rooms. Next, the ropes course and waterpark are the only things I really find amusement park-ish on the BREEZE. And while it might not make sense, I simply don't like the way the QUANTUM class ships look.

Anthem of the Seas is really huge we saw it at Southampton. I was worried that the Royal Princess was too large but it never seemed crowded except on the first night when everyone wanted to dine at the same time.

Should we assume that since you haven't been on the ship that your description is better?:D

There's this new thing that maybe you've heard of called YouTube. There are plenty of full POV videos that capture the whole "show". Funny how video works. I never met Paul Newman, but I know what he looked like.

There's this new thing that maybe you've heard of called YouTube. There are plenty of full POV videos that capture the whole "show". Funny how video works. I never met Paul Newman, but I know what he looked like.

But meeting him in person would have been much more interesting than looking at a picture. :D There is a lot more to the entertainment on the "expanded" Lido pool deck than the fountain show. I think the author you quoted gave a good description of the deck.:D

Edited by Mom33

But meeting him in person would have been much more interesting than looking at a picture. :D There is a lot more to the entertainment on the "expanded" Lido pool deck than the fountain show. I think the author you quoted gave a good description of the deck.:D

Sorry, but the words "elaborate water and light show" speak for themselves and cannot be spun even by the heartiest cheerleader. Even you have to concede that the reports on the water show coming from the Princess loyalists are "meh" at best. But if you can find me a review (not written by you) that says that the water show was worth the cost of carving back the usable pool space, I will read it. So far, I have missed those reviews.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Sorry, but the words "elaborate water and light show" speak for themselves and cannot be spun even by the heartiest cheerleader. Even you have to concede that the reports on the water show coming from the Princess loyalists are "meh" at best. But if you can find me a review (not written by you) that says that the water show was worth the cost of carving back the usable pool space, I will read it. So far, I have missed those reviews.

Actually Jimmy,I don't think you would believe anyone's positive review about

anything Royal or Regal. Time to get back to the OP's topic. As I posted previously, he picked the wrong two ships for the smackdown. I agree with his description of the Regal Lido deck however.:D

Yes, the entertainment of watching 3600 passengers trying to find pool space around a pool area which on other ships only has to accommodate 1/4 of that number. That's some good entertainment right there.

Having seen it in person, I can attest that the water show was fun to watch. And it still left 6 days 23 hours and 55 minutes left to do other things on a 7 day cruise.

You are exactly correct. The water show on these ships is pathetic. It's not even worth seeing. Once again, Princess tried to copy RCI but totally failed at it.

• 4 weeks later...
As much as we like Princess, and are planning to go on Regal in Feb, Royal Caribbean can't be beat for their cutting edge activities. We did Quantum in January and loved the Ifly and bumper cars. We also really enjoyed the Dynamic dining. Because of the activities I find the average age a little lower. RCi ships are really beautiful inside.

We are still a big fan of Princess but find there are so many different options on RCI.

I still believe Princess does have the best itineraries. It just depends what you are looking for a particular cruise. So we go back and forth between the two.

We like both lines...they are two entirely different cruise ships. :):):):)