Chair hogging-how do you know?

Over the years there has been much talk about 'chair hogging' and I've wondered about this. I understand that when people save chairs first thing in the morning and don't return until after breakfast and such. That is not right. I'm really wondering about the following because I'm scared that I will be in the line of fire.

1. How can I get up and have a swim or a drink without leaving my chair empty for maybe 15-20 minutes?

2. Is there someone monitoring how long I leave my chair in order to see that I'm 'hogging'?

3. What if I'm first to the pool area and hubby is going to be joining me after he rallies the children and he won't be by my side for 10-15 minutes does that mean I cannot take a chair for him?

What I'm saying here is basically, why are there so many people who are technically policing the time in which I use my chair? I know that there is no formal way in which to monitor and I'm sure that RCCL doesn't do this but it is fellow cruisers. There are ample chairs are there not? So if I want to go and have a swim with my husband or my kids, for example, when is it "not okay" and for how many minutes?

If you are going to flame me save it because I too have a sharp tongue and I'm not interested. I'm a civil, vacation-loving, die hard cruise defender and I visit/post here because the majority of posters are wonderfully helpful.

TIA:o

...1. How can I get up and have a swim or a drink without leaving my chair empty for maybe 15-20 minutes?...

If (and that's a BIG if) they enforce their own rules, they are supposed to give you at least 30 minutes before they take your belongings.

On Oasis the deck attendants use a clipboard in the very popular beach pool. They will remove your items in a timely manner. On Freedom, they fold the towels and drape them over the back. If they come back and towel is still there, they remove.

I even saw a pool attendant removing stuff from one of the elevated sections while a lady screamed at her. She had an entire row tied up for over an hour before they moved in

I don't think anyone is complaining about people who are actively using their chairs. IMHO at least, it's fine if someone is swimming, getting drinks or food, using the restroom, grabbing something from their cabins, or even if they disappear for 20 minutes to grab lunch.

What's annoying are those who come out at 0700, leave towels and maybe a lone possession (e.g., book, coverup) on multiple chairs and then aren't seen until 1000. They sit for an hour and then disappear until 1400. Sit another 30 minutes and then leave everything but their towels, never to be seen again. They are essentially "reserving" their right to have a chair whenever they deem fit while depriving others of a chance to use that chair for the entire day.

I can't speak for how long the staff will give you but most "rational" fellow cruisers aren't likely to complain if it's less than an hour and absences are few.

Okay, thanks everyone. So it is the staff that monitor? I was talking about the people that I noted on CC that are angry. I am not debating because I agree that reserved chairs for the day is just rude. I'm saying that if I leave my chair empty for a period of time then who knows? I almost chuckled when I saw that the staff monitor considering how many children run free and there is usually no monitoring in that sense.

I guess I was referring to other cruisers who make it their job to monitor chairs and how much time is spent on them.

Hope that makes sense.

1. How can I get up and have a swim or a drink without leaving my chair empty for maybe 15-20 minutes?

Do NOT leave your chair empty. It's likely that you won't. It's likely that you will have a pair of sandals, possibly a coverup, and at least your towel on the chair.

It's pretty obvious when a chair is in use and just empty v. when someone is attempting to lay claim to a chair without being there. On Allure, on the TA, people brought magazines from the stateroom and left those and a rolled up towel on the chair. There was no other sign that the chair was really being used...just claimed. And that is what feels like chair hogging...especially when you are looking for an available chair and having a hard time finding one but there are way too many chairs with stateroom magazines and rolled up towels.

2. Is there someone monitoring how long I leave my chair in order to see that I'm 'hogging'?

It isn't likely that a crewman is monitoring you. Nearby passengers that are hopeful for a chair may be. But if you are obviously using your chair...then it really isn't a concern. It's ridiculously easy to spot someone trying to claim a chair because they don't leave their REAL stuff with the chair...that is, because they aren't there to watch over it.

3. What if I'm first to the pool area and hubby is going to be joining me after he rallies the children and he won't be by my side for 10-15 minutes does that mean I cannot take a chair for him?

There really isn't anything wrong with this. Intent is what makes people upset. If you are arriving and trying to save a chair for your family joining you...the intent here is a lot different from someone that just walks by and dumps a towel and a few random things on a chair to try to save it for later, if they ever decide to use it.

One lady plopped her book, a towel, and a bag on the chair next to me in the solarium. Then she went into the solarium cafe to eat. She was gone for about an hour or so...and then she came back and picked up her stuff and left without ever using the chair. So weird. Why did she do that?

And several people went by looking for any place to sit...and she never used the chair.

That's the kind of thing that can make people crazy.

What I'm saying here is basically, why are there so many people who are technically policing the time in which I use my chair? ...There are ample chairs are there not?

No. There are not ample chairs. Not in the prime places where you might want to be. This may vary by ship. On a Sea Day, there feels like an even more limited number of chairs.

So if I want to go and have a swim with my husband or my kids, for example, when is it "not okay" and for how many minutes?

Again, I'm repeating myself...but it's the spirit of the thing. You will understand when you observe it. There's nothing wrong with going about your business and coming and going from your chair.

Edited by Anita Latte

I don't think anyone is complaining about people who are actively using their chairs. IMHO at least, it's fine if someone is swimming, getting drinks or food, using the restroom, grabbing something from their cabins, or even if they disappear for 20 minutes to grab lunch.

What's annoying are those who come out at 0700, leave towels and maybe a lone possession (e.g., book, coverup) on multiple chairs and then aren't seen until 1000. They sit for an hour and then disappear until 1400. Sit another 30 minutes and then leave everything but their towels, never to be seen again. They are essentially "reserving" their right to have a chair whenever they deem fit while depriving others of a chance to use that chair for the entire day.

I can't speak for how long the staff will give you but most "rational" fellow cruisers aren't likely to complain if it's less than an hour and absences are few.

Let me expand a little on my previous comments. On Oasis, it was common for people to go to the deck attendants and inquire if any of the "occupied" loungers were ready for removal. Beach pool is likely the most popular pool on deck though.

1438108514693.jpg.680a3d582f68fc2d2766eb2164af47cb.jpg

Most people would agree that those who come out at the crack of dawn and save a row of chairs with a flip flop, a book, a hat, and then don't come out until after lunch are chair hogs. If you go to the pool, find yourself a seat, and put your towel on the adjacent chair for your husband, who you expect in the next 15-30 minutes, you're fine. If you go for a dip in the pool, you're fine.

What's not usually thought of as fine is when people put their belongings on a chair, knowing that they have no intention of using it for hours, or setting up in both the sun and shade, thereby doing the "double dip" on space.

Depending on where you want to sit, there may be ample chairs, there may not. People who feel the need to be right next to the pool will find only a fixed number of chairs. Up on the upper decks there are many chairs and lots of places to sit. But certain areas fill up faster than others.

I know that many say if you want a chair you need to go out early and claim one, by putting your body in it. And that if you wait until 10 or 11, you're not getting a chair. My feeling is that you come out when you come out, and no matter the time, no one has the right to plant their various pieces of detritus on a row of chairs and let them sit unused for hours on end, thereby preventing others from enjoying them, on the off chance they come back.

The thing that gets most peoples backup is those who at 7 am grab 3 or 4 beds not to return until 10 or 11 am and sometimes never.

I agree don't have a problem with people who leave the stuff on the sunbeds while going to the bar or have a swim, my wife likes to use the hot tubs and normally leaves me reading/ sunbathing for 20-30 minutes if people have a problem with that tough. At lunch we tend to leave our towels on the beds go and something to eat and return to eat it on the sunbeds like many others don't see a problem with that either.

Policing of RCI policy of 30 minutes has been debated on here many times, have seen a few times the resulting arguments when people return to find their stuff has been removed and someone else using the beds these arguments can get quite heated.

Edited by BARNET

30 minutes is the usual rule that sometimes RCL post on a sign near the pool. So you can swim, grab a bit to eat within that 30 minutes. After that your belongings may be removed. the DH and I usually take turns getting food and bring it back to our chair and if we get into one of the small pools we can see our stuff. A chair hog is really only someone who comes out and puts their towel down and doesn't come back sometimes for hours. Of course you can swim and have fun! There are plenty of chairs but not in the shade or right by a pool which is why if you chair hog in one of those areas people notice. No one blinks an eye if you put your towel down at 7 am on the deck above the pool in full sun.

30 minutes is the usual rule that sometimes RCL post on a sign near the pool. So you can swim, grab a bit to eat within that 30 minutes. After that your belongings may be removed. the DH and I usually take turns getting food and bring it back to our chair and if we get into one of the small pools we can see our stuff. A chair hog is really only someone who comes out and puts their towel down and doesn't come back sometimes for hours. Of course you can swim and have fun! There are plenty of chairs but not in the shade or right by a pool which is why if you chair hog in one of those areas people notice. No one blinks an eye if you put your towel down at 7 am on the deck above the pool in full sun.

I believe there is a sign next to towel station as well and on Freedom, when they give you towels, they inform you of the policy. Especially in the morning.

On a lighter note, the area above deck 12 cabins, AKA St Tropez, has plenty of room to sunbathe. You may have to go back by Flowrider to get a lounger though. :eek:

1438109013405.jpg.b11f9d03f86a0e9668b7baa15a0bb6ba.jpg

1438109039282.jpg.54188db7b95f432bd4aa72ebbd5b1baf.jpg

1438109064414.jpg.2e07adc9c3f9f10ccc46fed757df684c.jpg

1438109084086.jpg.5cc51a30423ce9f527a90b5bd28d7612.jpg

Let me just say this chair hogging practice doesn't just happen on cruises. We were at an all inclusive in Mexico last month and luckily I just happen to be up and out on my balcony about 6am. I looked down at the pool and saw several husbands laying out towels on the best chairs around the pool bar area. I was appalled. People can be so ignorant. Sure enough, the husbands and their families strolled out to their "waiting" chairs about 11am. In that instance we had no other option but to join them if we wanted decent chairs, but I felt awful about it.

Sometimes the outcome is really comical.

On Sunday, we were anchored at Coco Cay. DW and I went up to the Park Café for coffee and a light breakfast (as we do every day) and there were two neatly folded towels in the solarium on adjacent chairs with a little table in between.

We went over to the island and came back around 1:30, and those towels were still there. Since virtually all of the chairs were empty, we picked two in the shade, but "borrowed" their table. We left the two towels exactly where they had been since 7:00 in the morning. About 2:15 the couple came back, and the female went into a tirade about how someone had stolen their table, grabbed her two towels and dragged her partner to the other side of the solarium.

Weirdly, there were four little round tables in the same row (the whole row was empty) right next to where they "reserved" their chairs, and there were only about a half dozen people scattered around in the solarium.

All she needed to do was walk five feet, pick up a new table, and put it back between their chairs...I guess Forrest Gump was right:rolleyes:

Okay, thanks everyone. So it is the staff that monitor? I was talking about the people that I noted on CC that are angry. I am not debating because I agree that reserved chairs for the day is just rude. I'm saying that if I leave my chair empty for a period of time then who knows? .

As someone said, relax you will be ok. Most people don't say anything unless its obviously abuse. If someone asks, and someone says that person hasn't been here in hours, then that usually is the case.

I did have one incident, and btw I love chair hog threads, where a guy left the Navigator solarium in one direction, but came back from the other direction so he got disoriented and thought I took his chair. He swore up a storm and started getting threatening when his wife spoke up from the other side of the pool and said, "Over here dear". He got lucky, the swim back to Port Everglades would have been a long one at that point. :D

As someone said, relax you will be ok. Most people don't say anything unless its obviously abuse. If someone asks, and someone says that person hasn't been here in hours, then that usually is the case.

I did have one incident, and btw I love chair hog threads, where a guy left the Navigator solarium in one direction, but came back from the other direction so he got disoriented and thought I took his chair. He swore up a storm and started getting threatening when his wife spoke up from the other side of the pool and said, "Over here dear". He got lucky, the swim back to Port Everglades would have been a long one at that point. :D

Love this. Our favorite is when chair hogs ask you to guard their chairs for them while they do bingo, art auction, or whatever. We always look at them with a blank stare, and then any time longer than a half hour later let people that ask about those chairs know that we've been sitting in or chairs for a few hours and have never seen them occupied so the chairs must be available.:D

Taking a dip, getting a drink, talking to someone while standing, getting a bite to bring back to your chair....is ALL considered "USING THE POOL"...and therefore, YOUR LOUNGER! No worries.

It's folks who "save" a chair that they are not using in any fashion that are "hogs".

I remember that story Billoh - :eek: :D! Let me guess - the guy didn't even have the decency to apologize.

To the OP - as many have said, it's the blatant hogs that are irritating. My fave morning activity is to get to solarium as soon as Mr Wolf releases me from breakfast. I read there for a few hours. I have noticed MANY TIMES "hogged chairs" sitting vacant from 9 am to 12 noon. That's just ridiculous.

On thing I noticed on our last cruise was that rolled towels were on unoccupied chairs. A lot of people assumed those chairs were taken when they were simply prepped that way by the deck crew.

I remember that story Billoh - :eek: :D! Let me guess - the guy didn't even have the decency to apologize.

To the OP - as many have said, it's the blatant hogs that are irritating. My fave morning activity is to get to solarium as soon as Mr Wolf releases me from breakfast. I read there for a few hours. I have noticed MANY TIMES "hogged chairs" sitting vacant from 9 am to 12 noon. That's just ridiculous.

On thing I noticed on our last cruise was that rolled towels were on unoccupied chairs. A lot of people assumed those chairs were taken when they were simply prepped that way by the deck crew.

My recollection of that is it was the final stage before deck attendants removed them

Maybe we are too caring for others, but if there are four of us, we generally only take 2 or 3 chairs, as usually one or two people are in the pool, getting a drink, going to the washroom, playing table tennis, etc. Rarely are all four of us lounging at once.

My recollection of that is it was the final stage before deck attendants removed them

I know it changes ship to ship but on Navigator, I am positive it was how the deck crew prepped the chairs since I was out early one morning and they were setting them up. Exactly like how they prep the chairs in the suite seating area by the pool. That way, the deck police can see what chairs are being held since the hogs would unroll the towels.