First Ever President's Cruise with Michael Bayley

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea if the intent is to get a feel for the cruise experience the company is really delivering and connecting with the customers in a somewhat unfiltered environment. However, if that is the purpose...the execution has already made it an almost wasted effort for two big reasons;

1) Now that it is announced when and where you can bet that as many "RCI Cheerleaders" as possible are going to book, if for no other reason it might give them a chance to "hob knob". It is much less likely, therefore, that many negatives are going to be mentioned. I hate the term "constructive criticism" because in my experience criticism is rarely viewed as constructive by the person on the receiving end. However, an honest and frank evaluation is typically much better received. The person being evaluated still has to decide if they want to take the information and improve but the environment is usually better.

2) Do you really think he is going to see a true representation of "customer service"? Please, every member of the crew will be doing everything in the power to deliver top notch service. In fact, there is a risk that some of the finish on the railing will be rubbed off during this cruise. It is human nature that when the BCTIC (Big Cheese That's In Charge for those of you not from the sticks) is around every employee is on their toes and keenly acute to things on the off chance that they get to directly impress "the man". What are the odds of food taking a long time to get to the table and it being warm (at best) when it gets there?

In my opinion, if the desire is to get a picture of the company (similar to Undercover Boss), just getting a cabin would be a MUCH better approach. He is fairly new so he should be able to mix in easier. If few know he is onboard he at least has a chance to flop down in a chair near the pool or at a bar and strike up a conversation with an unsuspecting cruiser. He may not like what he hears, but I bet he would get much more useful information.

Anyway, that is the approach I would take if in that position. Maybe even pick some passengers at random during the first few days and invite them to a focus group discussion at lunch on the last day (still without revealing who you are) and asking about the various areas of the company and onboard experience.

It also should be done on every class of ship in their fleet.

I was on a ship and was in the concierge lounge and sat next to a woman by herself. We struck up a conversation and she asked me how my suite was. I told her it was very nice but the mattress was the worst thing I have ever slept on. The next morning our steward told us they were delivering a new mattress today.

Lo and behold I found out she was the Captains wife. We had a wonderful rest of the cruise on that mattress.

WOW! I can't believe people are getting so lathered up over this. Just don't get what the big deal is!

Same here. I don't really have interest in booking, but I don't understand why people are being so cynical about it.

My cousin works on the show and it's all staged.

As are all reality shows. I have a friend who is working out a contract for American Pickers to visit him. It's a about a year of planning and contracts before filming.

Edited by Aquahound

I don't necessarily think this is a bad idea if the intent is to get a feel for the cruise experience the company is really delivering and connecting with the customers in a somewhat unfiltered environment. However, if that is the purpose...the execution has already made it an almost wasted effort for two big reasons;

1) Now that it is announced when and where you can bet that as many "RCI Cheerleaders" as possible are going to book, if for no other reason it might give them a chance to "hob knob". It is much less likely, therefore, that many negatives are going to be mentioned. I hate the term "constructive criticism" because in my experience criticism is rarely viewed as constructive by the person on the receiving end. However, an honest and frank evaluation is typically much better received. The person being evaluated still has to decide if they want to take the information and improve but the environment is usually better.

2) Do you really think he is going to see a true representation of "customer service"? Please, every member of the crew will be doing everything in the power to deliver top notch service. In fact, there is a risk that some of the finish on the railing will be rubbed off during this cruise. It is human nature that when the BCTIC (Big Cheese That's In Charge for those of you not from the sticks) is around every employee is on their toes and keenly acute to things on the off chance that they get to directly impress "the man". What are the odds of food taking a long time to get to the table and it being warm (at best) when it gets there?

In my opinion, if the desire is to get a picture of the company (similar to Undercover Boss), just getting a cabin would be a MUCH better approach. He is fairly new so he should be able to mix in easier. If few know he is onboard he at least has a chance to flop down in a chair near the pool or at a bar and strike up a conversation with an unsuspecting cruiser. He may not like what he hears, but I bet he would get much more useful information.

Anyway, that is the approach I would take if in that position. Maybe even pick some passengers at random during the first few days and invite them to a focus group discussion at lunch on the last day (still without revealing who you are) and asking about the various areas of the company and onboard experience.

It also should be done on every class of ship in their fleet.

I agree 100% with this

On any given cruise on any cruise line, the probability that employees of the competition are on board taking notes is extremely high. We've been enlisted on occasion by starboard to do "secret shopper" forays into their onboard shops to give them a better idea on how the experience compares to the company's standards. Scoping out the competition (or even your own ships) is business 101.

And Bayley knows exactly what he's getting himself into - he's done these before when he ran Celebrity.

As much as I don't care what the Carnival execs are doing in their free time it's hardly accurate to call Arinson the OWNER of Carnival. Carnival is a publicly traded company so every share holder is an owner of the company. Micky Arinson is the Chairman of the Board and, quite frankly, is more interested in his Miami Heat than he is in the ships.

Mickey owns 12% of the company and his Dad founded Carnival. (hardly just a shareholder) :)

Why would RC do something like this? Mickey Arison is on one of his ships about every other week and you don't see any of his brands advertising it calling it a "sail with the chairman" cruise... The only word I can think of for this is stupid.

On my Hawaii Princess cruise about 5 years back, the dining and hospitality directors got together and approached me at dinner about 5 days into our sailing. They had been having an ongoing conversation, thinking I was Mickey doing an incognito undercover boss thing or something. Was quite funny. Got a few perks for that.

The first order of business -- **please** -- is to fix RCI's email system so that loyal Crown & Anchor members receive the email mentioned above. We are now over 2 years without C&A emails, with too many to count unsuccessful attempts to fix this glitch. I am by far not the only one with this ongoing issue.

We can't book a cruise with the President of RCI if we don't know about it.

I agree. My friend has cruised many times and just started getting emails a few months ago after calling Royal. I began receiving them as soon as I booked my first cruise...years later.

Edited by sauvichick

Anyone looking for his email address just tell them to book this cruise and give him an ear full in person.

If, I was the president of RCI, and I was on a ship full of whining diamonds, diamond plus and PC who did nothing but whine and complain about everything, I would end the loyalty program immediately and hoped those particular passengers would please start cruising with my competitors.

If he asked to speak to me privately I might tell him the things that I didn't like about something, but to go with the purpose of giving him an earful. Lord help us. People are just rude and inconsiderate beyond belief.

jc<---- is diamond

And Bayley knows exactly what he's getting himself into - he's done these before when he ran Celebrity.

Are there or where there as many disgruntled cruisers that cruise Celebrity though? Im not talking just CC members. Im talking all cruisers. Every RC social media outlet I can find has many complaints these days.

Not that social media members make up the total cruising population but I bet if you put them altogether, they make up a lot of it.

Edited by ryano

If, I was the president of RCI, and I was on a ship full of whining diamonds, diamond plus and PC who did nothing but whine and complain about everything, I would end the loyalty program immediately and hoped those particular passengers would please start cruising with my competitors.

If he asked to speak to me privately I might tell him the things that I didn't like about something, but to go with the purpose of giving him an earful. Lord help us. People are just rude and inconsiderate beyond belief.

jc<---- is diamond

I personally find this sweeping generalization offensive. Some people are rude and inconsiderate and some whine, but to say that all upper tier levels are whiners, rude, and inconsiderate is not only incorrect but also just as objectionable to me as the so-called above behavior is to you.

The only immediate thing would happen is that you immediately would be fired from your position and looking for another job.

Edited by ryano

Sadly, I understand why the poster mentioned whining Diamonds and also understand why others took offense. A loud, rude minority can give us all a bad name.

As a new diamond on my last cruise it seemed that the most vocal and domineering in the Diamond events were the complainers who loudly bent the loyalty ambassadors ear (and anyone else who would listen) with a huge laundry list of trivial complaints and even what seemed to be imagined issues. I was actually embarassed over their boorish behavior. Those of us that chose to be pleasant, took the time to be thankful and let the staff know they are appreciated. It was like an event within an event. The thankless complainers are a minority, but they sure can suck all the air out of the room.

I personally find this sweeping generalization offensive. Some people are rude and inconsiderate and some whine, but to say that all upper tier levels are whiners, rude, and inconsiderate is not only incorrect but also just as objectionable to me as the so-called above behavior is to you.

After reading this part I reminded myself that on one person on the planet can make you anything...be it happy, sad, hungry, sympathetic, offended, etc...and that person is you. People CHOOSE to feel the way they feel.

I did not see the poster say that "all" of anything were anything. As mentioned above, the only people I have heard whine about things on a cruise or expect special treatment or walk to the front of a long line like they were entitled were people who were quick to let you know they were Diamond or Diamond +. Honestly, the snobbiest people I have ever met on a cruise happen to be wearing a pin that said Pinnacle Club.

Just my experiences...you mileage may vary as they say.

After reading this part I reminded myself that on one person on the planet can make you anything...be it happy, sad, hungry, sympathetic, offended, etc...and that person is you. People CHOOSE to feel the way they feel.

I did not see the poster say that "all" of anything were anything. As mentioned above, the only people I have heard whine about things on a cruise or expect special treatment or walk to the front of a long line like they were entitled were people who were quick to let you know they were Diamond or Diamond +. Honestly, the snobbiest people I have ever met on a cruise happen to be wearing a pin that said Pinnacle Club.

And it does, thankfully.

I have been on several Members Cruises before and have enjoyed them very much.

This is the first time they are renaming it a Presidents Cruise. Usually upper management is on board to host the cruise. This will be the fist time the President will be joining.

Usually these cruses are pretty positive. There are those who come on the cruise just to complain. This should be very interesting experience especially with all the changes and cut backs Royal has had.

. Honestly, the snobbiest people I have ever met on a cruise happen to be wearing a pin that said Pinnacle Club.

And that is why I never wear a pin.

Channeling the DW here..."Does that mean you are still a snob, just without the pin? :D

Just kidding...

You mileage may vary, indeed.

I have just as often seen someone pushing (or trying to push) to the front of a long line, saying, Get out of my way. I'm GOLD!"

:rolleyes:

You mileage may vary, indeed.

I have just as often seen someone pushing (or trying to push) to the front of a long line, saying, Get out of my way. I'm GOLD!"

:rolleyes:

my favorite is when they confuse Gold Cards with Being gold. #NottheSame