Excursion Sell Out?

ERIN123

We've booked on excursion privately but will likely book the rest onboard so we can use our OBC. What is the likelihood of them being overbooked? Do they often sell out? I'm sure we can come up with an alternative if the one we pick is booked, but I'm wondering if we need to worry about that.

Also, if we do wait until we are onboard to book, where is the easiest place to do the bookings? I'm sure there will be a rush by others with OBCs to do the same and I'd prefer to not waste too much time waiting in line to book these. We're in a Concierge Class room on Flr 11.

You did not indicate where you are cruising but I'm guessing it is the Caribbean. From my experience the excursions don't sell out on those cruises. You can book at the excursion desk once you board, the times will be in the dailies; via your TV in the cabin; or by filling out and dropping off the excursion form you are given either as part of the check in or left in your cabin.

Although others may indicate that they "hold back slots" for on board booking I have seen some excursions in Alaska indicated as sold out on the excursion form.

Very few do sell out. I do recall excursions like swimming with the dolphins and horseback riding on the beach types selling out early on our cruises. I usually just go down to the excursion desk and book. But if you want a "hot" one, do so before you leave.

There are three ways to book your excursion (four if you are in a high end suite)

1. in person at the Shore Excursion Desk

2. Fill out a form there and drop it in their box

3. On your stateroom TV system

4. (top level suites only) ask the Michael's Club concierge to book it for you

There are three ways to book your excursion (four if you are in a high end suite)

1. in person at the Shore Excursion Desk

2. Fill out a form there and drop it in their box

3. On your stateroom TV system

4. (top level suites only) ask the Michael's Club concierge to book it for you

These are exactly correct. As many have said, only VERY popular ones sell out in advance. We always book on board and have not yet had an issue. Happy cruising

The only shore excursions we have seen as sold out have been helicopter trips and sea plane trips.

What we have seen, however, is preferred time slots disappearing quickly. Example, snorkling trip available at noon but the 9am and 3pm slots gone. Obviously most people do not want the intense heat of the midday sun and also if you have this mid slot you can find it hard to add on another activity as it splits your day up.

We were very cross on a trip to Bora Bora having booked many months earlier to have our 10am slot changed to noon. So even if you book early changes can happen. We complained and they then swapped us onto an 8am slot which was ok but not ideal...Also on the same cruise we had booked a specific boat trip in the Bay of Islands. This was cancelled and we then had to book another tour which was great but again we did not get our preferred time for this trip because we were booking on board and others had obviously pre booked.

So I guess my message is two fold, you will be able to get on most tours but not necessarily at your preferred time and even if you book before cruising changes can happen!

Have a great cruise.

I was told by someone at the Shore Excursions deck that they hold a few seats on each excursion for onboard bookings. When we really want a specific tour we get onboard early and head straight to the excursion desk. There has always been someone there to respond to early birds.

If there's an excursion you REALLY want to do book it now.

I missed out on booking a trip in the Far East recently.... it sold out online with a message to try again on board. Once on board there was a waitlist for this tour and I didn't make the cut. Was not something that could be organised independently (believe me, I tried).

A lot of real good points. I had been thinking of booking a particular excursion when I got onboard. However, when I went to the desk, it had been already cancelled due to lack of interest. Another excursion was not available in the morning but was in the afternoon. So there may be some disadvantages in waiting.

I agree with everyone here. If you get on ship fairly early, and you want to book some excursions, then I'd really recommend heading straight to the desk by Guest Relations. Try and be one of the first ones to get any "held back" reservations.

Do check out independent excursions too. Often those are even better. You can always use your on board credit somewhere else.

As others have said -- it you want a specific excursion - book it on line, particularly if it is something you really want to do.

On my Hawaii cruise in April 2015, I booked the Road to Hana ship tour several months ahead. It sold out very early as they did not have many small buses. Many people were disappointed trying to book it within a couple of months on line and on the ship.