Review of Formal Nights

mcrcruiser

No matter what kind of vacation I take from diy to all-inclusive, I always pack for one elegant dinner at a minimum. Perhaps HAL could please everyone if they got a room divider or used a private dining room or opened the Pinnacle without fee for formal or gala night - and then enforced it strictly. Then those who are not inspired by the concept or have longer trips to pack for can still have dinner in the MDR and HAL could also keep their revenue for their tuxes and photos. I am always the one behind the camera so having a few photos of a trip is worth the price to me!

It would be interesting so see what would happen if they offered free pinnacle dinners to those in tuxedos on formal night.

It would be interesting so see what would happen if they offered free pinnacle dinners to those in tuxedos on formal night.

The same people who argue that they have a right to go to the dining room underdressed, as they "paid for it" will argue that they have the right to dine in the Pinnacle, for the same reason.

You're not going to win on this one.

The same people who argue that they have a right to go to the dining room underdressed, as they "paid for it" will argue that they have the right to dine in the Pinnacle, for the same reason.

"undressed"... LOL!

Wife and I enjoy formal nights generally but on our upcoming Transatlantic from Rome packing a suit and shoes for formal evenings will be challenging when luggage space will be at a premium in our check in baggage.

With a total of 4 nights in Rome and 20 on the ship, we will be using the laundry service several times. Does anyone know what the unlimited laundry price is for such a long trip? Is the price per cabin or per person for unlimited?

Thank you

Wife and I enjoy formal nights generally but on our upcoming Transatlantic from Rome packing a suit and shoes for formal evenings will be challenging when luggage space will be at a premium in our check in baggage.

With a total of 4 nights in Rome and 20 on the ship, we will be using the laundry service several times. Does anyone know what the unlimited laundry price is for such a long trip? Is the price per cabin or per person for unlimited?

Thank you

It's always been $7/day/cabin, so $140 for your 20-night cruise.

True, but what about setting aside,say, the King's Room for those who really dress "formal" for one or two nights per week?

It's always been $7/day/cabin, so $140 for your 20-night cruise.

Thanks for info. We will have OBC but probably will not need laundry done more than 5 times max so maybe the fill the bag route would be best for us.

ALSO, this will be our first TA and first trip to Italy and Spain. Does anyone have a guess or better yet experience with how many formal nights we will likely have on this 20 day Nieuw Amsterdam cruise.

Again, thank you in advance

Unfortunately, over the past several decades, dressing up doesn't mean as much as it did in days gone by. Case in point: President Reagan always wore a suit because he respected the office. Since then, a lot of the presidents have dressed down, feet on the desk etc. that is one place that we are represented throughout the world.

And the row dressing trend extends to nearly every vocation form churches to raise ships. I don't mean this post to be political but always remembered that about Reagan.

Getting back to the various subjects, I try to dress according to the people I associate with and that includes the formal nights. At least a dark suit is in order but I won't belittle another person who is in a shirt and slacks. However, if I don't care for the food in the MDR, I'll go elsewhere.

Thank you

Price per cabin. But contact Ship Services as there is usually a price for unlimited laundry for the duration of the cruise, or a daily price which for Europe is, I believe, $9/day, if I recall correctly. Alternatively you can stuff the laundry bag for $25.

Thanks for info. We will have OBC but probably will not need laundry done more than 5 times max so maybe the fill the bag route would be best for us.

ALSO, this will be our first TA and first trip to Italy and Spain. Does anyone have a guess or better yet experience with how many formal nights we will likely have on this 20 day Nieuw Amsterdam cruise.

Again, thank you in advance

We recently had 4 on our 22 day Mediterranean cruise.

True, but what about setting aside,say, the King's Room for those who really dress "formal" for one or two nights per week?

Good news, then! HAL has already set aside separate dining facilities for those who dress for dinner, and those who prefer not to.

They are called the "dining room" and the "Lido".

We dress appropriately for Gala/Formal nights. However, I really don't care one way or another. I don't want to see people who look like they just got off a long shift at a pig farm, but I don't care if someone isn't in tux and ballgown.

I don't care if the wait staff is in a special uniform, as long as the service is good. (I expect them to be dressed appropriately at all times and never even really notice if they're "spiffed up special").

I want the food to be excellent every night. I don't, generally, find the formal night menus any more or less appealing than every other night.

For people who love to dress up, go for it. Regardless of any dress code, no one says you can't dress to the nines every night of the cruise, if you like. Lunch and breakfast, as well, for that matter.

I won't blink an eye at it.

Good news, then! HAL has already set aside separate dining facilities for those who dress for dinner, and those who prefer not to.

Pretty sure they meant a dining room with actual SERVICE (and without an upcharge to get in).

If they were to do that, it would seem the logical way would just be to differentiate the two MDR rooms they already have (upper and lower), making one the formal room and the other the business casual.

Pretty sure they meant a dining room with actual SERVICE (and without an upcharge to get in).

If they were to do that, it would seem the logical way would just be to differentiate the two MDR rooms they already have (upper and lower), making one the formal room and the other the business casual.

They've already got that division set up for open and fixed seatings. They can't split it an additional way. It would be too complicated.

They've already got that division set up for open and fixed seatings. They can't split it an additional way. It would be too complicated.

They could mix the rooms for open+fixed seating though. Reserved tables (fixed) and nightly assigned tables (open) should be able to exist on the same floor without much problem.

Okay. That made me laugh out loud - and I don't do that often.

In completely unrelated news, happy National Root Beer Float Day!

http://feastpb.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/08/06/national-root-beer-float-day-5-grown-up-versions-to-make/

We would be very happy if HAL followed some other similar cruise lines and provided an optional, casual attire on gala nights, pay dining venue. Not the Caneletto in a roped off section of the buffet but a 'real' venue.

This might go part way to satisfying some people. We have no issue in paying for this as long as the food and service is appropriate to the upcharge. We, and many others, do exactly this on RCI, Princess, and Celebrity.

Or, alternatively, you could have a waiting line all the way around the Promenade Deck of people wanting to save $25 ;)

They could mix the rooms for open+fixed seating though. Reserved tables (fixed) and nightly assigned tables (open) should be able to exist on the same floor without much problem.

Really? So what if they had many open tables with casually dressed people and the formally dressed tables were all full? That wouldn't be the best use of space.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

We would be very happy if HAL followed some other similar cruise lines and provided an optional, casual attire on gala nights, pay dining venue. Not the Caneletto in a roped off section of the buffet but a 'real' venue.

This might go part way to satisfying some people. We have no issue in paying for this as long as the food and service is appropriate to the upcharge. We, and many others, do exactly this on RCI, Princess, and Celebrity.

That would certainly make more sense than trying to split a MDR into pieces.

Not "logical" at all. There will always be people who want to sit in the area "assigned" to the other group.

There is no solution that is happy for all on this. There are only solutions which some accept while others don't---one of which has been instituted.