When is RCCL going to do something about those slipper pool decks?

I posted something similar a couple weeks back and was surprised that no one responded. However, there seems to be one CC memeber is posting on old threads where people have mentioned about their experience on the "slipperyness" and was looking for info on their experience. So I know I'm not the only crazy one :p

I personally think this is a HUGE liability for RCCL and someone is going to get seriously hurt...if not already!

Both myself and my two kids have either actually slipped or almost slipped on the pool deck by the H2O zone becuase it is just way too slippery and I've witnessed countless others.

Yes, there are cones saying it's slippery and crew trying to sweep away the water, but the fact remains it is like walking on ice. No kidding..it really is!!

RCCL...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do something about this!

Anyone else have an experience to share???

I posted something similar a couple weeks back and was surprised that no one responded. However, there seems to be one CC memeber is posting on old threads where people have mentioned about their experience on the "slipperyness" and was looking for info on their experience. So I know I'm not the only crazy one :p

I personally think this is a HUGE liability for RCCL and someone is going to get seriously hurt...if not already!

Both myself and my two kids have either actually slipped or almost slipped on the pool deck by the H2O zone becuase it is just way too slippery and I've witnessed countless others.

Yes, there are cones saying it's slippery and crew trying to sweep away the water, but the fact remains it is like walking on ice. No kidding..it really is!!

Always be careful when walking near water!

Glad you brought this up... On 3 occasions, while walking to get food poolside, near the main pool, but nearing the poolside buffet tables it is really horrible. All 3 times I caught myself, but catching myself almost popped a hamstring. In defense of RCI by sandals (chonclas) are super worn on the bottom, but this is the only place I have had issues. No issues at my home pool, my friends pool, the hotel pools I visit or anywhere else...

For some reason, that surface is like a damn ice skating rink.

Have you advised RCCL directly with your concern and experience?

My last cruise with RCCL was in 1997 aboard Enchantment. Same problem. I was walking barefoot across a wet deck, when my feet flew out from underneath me. I was in my 20s at the time, so the only harm that was done was a huge bruise and a picture of me sitting where I fell.

I will keep my shoes on for my next cruise.

I agree the surface is very slippery. I too have had a couple of close calls walking near the main pool with rubber flip-flops on. I find it better to just take them off and walk barefoot - which sorta freaks me out.....

(My OCD I guess) :)

My last cruise with RCCL was in 1997 aboard Enchantment. Same problem. I was walking barefoot across a wet deck, when my feet flew out from underneath me. I was in my 20s at the time, so the only harm that was done was a huge bruise and a picture of me sitting where I fell.

I will keep my shoes on for my next cruise.

Funny - same thing happened to me on Enchantment, only in 1999. Back then it was the slippery rubber-ish material, and on embarkation day, while leaving port, I slipped and totally wiped out, was so embarrased, and broke my big toe. Worst pain ever!

I read lots of people complain about it, but I actually like the aqua colored turf they used to have around the pools. Much safer, and doesn't burn your feet.

Ah yes...the burning of the feet is another issue but that can be remedied by wearing shoes. All of my experience with slipping or almost slipping has been with shoes or without. I do feel that you are safer with barefeet than with shoes...but that seems crazy to have to do.

There is a reason why most normal pool decks on land have a course texturize. There has to be a better surface for ships. It doesn't hvae to be "comfy" for our feet...just safe IMHO.

I took a terrible fall on radiance 10yrs ago at the solarium pool getting out of the hot tub......slid on the first step out and my hamstring jack knifed.....fell so far I rolled down the stairs......why is this wet area made out of marble???.......my husband refused to cruise again for years.... we have one planned for feb on rc.....

I fell last year on the upper pool deck of the Independence near the bar where there is actually a hump, and a downward slope on each side of the hump. I reported it but they were uninterested in me or taking a report. No drinking was involved, and it wasn't a place where you would expect the surface to be wet.

I agree!! Thank you for this thread. I did an RCL cruise in April on Liberty and then did Celebrity Summit in July. My son & I made a list of what was better on each ship. Unbelievable, but top of my list was Summit's non-ice-rink poolside deck surface. It's nice smooth wood texture that looks great too.

I slipped many times in April, with shoes and without, walking slowly. I had back surgery a few years ago so I'm really afraid of falling on that hard surface. I put it in the post cruise survey too.

On Mariner a few years back dw stepped off the carpet onto the tile in the solarium area and flew forward, bruising her knees and breaking her foot. The solarium roof was closed and condensation had accumulated on the tile. A deck worker who was right there called for help and she was taken to medical where she was taken care of professionally and promptly. Several security officers visited her there but all they seemed to care about was what type of shoes she was wearing - brand new sneakers. There were of course no onboard medical charges, however she was in a wheelchair for the remainder of the cruise plus our subsequent Disney stay. At least our children were happy. Mom in a wheelchair meant front of the line privileges for them. When we returned home we filed a claim with Royal who reimbursed our out of pocket medical charges. They also threw in a free cruise. Fortunately dw has fully recovered, but now we really watch our steps poolside. The decks are still very slippery.

On Mariner a few years back dw stepped off the carpet onto the tile in the solarium area and flew forward, bruising her knees and breaking her foot. The solarium roof was closed ...

:confused:

Edited by clarea

My son and I were at the pool last week. After swimming a little, we left. He put on his sliders and we walked out of the pool area. We went through the glass doors, his foot hit the ground and slid out from under him! Luckily he caught himself without doing any damage.

This was at a Ramada resort. :)

Unless RC puts a truly rough surface on the pool area IT WILL BE SLIPPERY, just like many pools at home or in hotels. If they put a truly rough surface, around the pool, many would complain about it hurting their feet.

I expect any wet area to be slippery, but when the Windjammer has a slippery floor, and I have slipped there, that is sugnificat.

Yes, of course any floor that gets wets is slippery and caution should be used. However, this is a big enough problem around many of the ships (specifically the H2O zone on Oasis/Allure...and the others I'm sure) that they feel they need to have someone mopping the floor most of the day. They know it's a problem and you can see people catching themselves from falling, or actually falling quite often.

Instead of doing that and putting up cones....why not find another surface. That's all I'm really saying here people.

We experienced this on the Freedom a couple weeks ago... all surfaces arounds pools (all pools and H20 zone) were extremely slick. Wether it be the wood benches/steps around the pool, the wood-look alike floor, the solarium floor, etc.

They were slick enough to have to watch every step you took. I was constantly reminding my kids to be careful.

We saw at least 3-4 people's feet fly right out from under them...

I took a bad spill on the upper pool deck of Allure at about 1pm on embarkation day. The deck had been cleaned/hosed down and was very slippery. I ended up with torn shorts, a huge painful bruise, and a very sore tailbone.

Edited by DonnaK

Yes when I see cones and signs that say slippery when wet I usually avoid that area.......:rolleyes: