My Expectations are Equal To Carnival

We just booked a short cruise on Brilliance for December. We have sailed on Sovereign and Monarch. RCL has never impressed us. In fact, we considered it to be equal to CCL, just a bit higher in price and nickeled and dimed until it hurts. We are Platinum with CCL, but if the experience was better, we would commit to RCL and reach similar levels quickly. We have 22 cruises under our belt, with four different cruise lines. So, tell me what I will see differently than CCL?

For starters, about the only ships in Carnival's fleet that compare to either sovereign or monarch are probably ones like sensation. Brilliance is our favorite ship, and head and shoulders architecturally and decor above than anything we've sailed on Carnival. Balconies (not the room, but the veranda itself) are easily 2x the size of anything on carnival As for nickels and dimes, everything that's free on Carnival is free on RCL, and everything you pay extra for on Carnival, you pay the same amount for on RCL

Edited by orville99

We just booked a short cruise on Brilliance for December. We have sailed on Sovereign and Monarch. RCL has never impressed us. In fact, we considered it to be equal to CCL, just a bit higher in price and nickeled and dimed until it hurts. We are Platinum with CCL, but if the experience was better, we would commit to RCL and reach similar levels quickly. We have 22 cruises under our belt, with four different cruise lines. So, tell me what I will see differently than CCL?

All I can tell you is I love the Radiance Class ships. They are so gorgeous-lots of glass and brass. Elevators that face the ocean so you see the water as you climb. An open centrum that you can be on Deck 12 and see all the way down to Deck 4.

Just a gorgeous ship. Heading out on Brilliance again in Nov and cannot wait.

I think the small Royal ships are very much the same as the carnival ships. (everyone has a pet ship that they love. some like small some like big).

However..... In terms of technology and innovation...... There is not a big architectural difference until you get into a RCCL ship with a Royal Promenade.. which would be Explorer,Navigator,Freedom,Liberty,Independence,oasis,allure

In my opinion they are just much nicer ships and 100% easier to navigate as you can get to almost anywhere simply by walking straight across deck 5

I am sure I will get bashed for this analogy but think of it like this...

You are currently sailing a 1995 Ford Mustang..... Now lets say you are tired of your ford mustang and you go and try out a 1995 Chevy Camaro.... It's fair to assume that unless you tried a much newer car..that many of the things are exactly the same even though they are different brands? make sense? conversely, you cant be driving a 2010 ford mustang, and decide you dont want a ford anymore and then go drive a 1995 chevy camaro.... get it?

Edited by TheTruthCanHurt

I think the small Royal ships are very much the same as the carnival ships. (everyone has a pet ship that they love. some like small some like big).

However..... In terms of technology and innovation...... There is not a big architectural difference until you get into a RCCL ship with a Royal Promenade.. which would be Explorer,Navigator,Freedom,Liberty,Independence,oasis,allure

In my opinion they are just much nicer ships and 100% easier to navigate as you can get to almost anywhere simply by walking straight across deck 5

You are currently sailing a 1995 Ford Mustang..... Now lets say you are tired of your ford mustang and you go and try out a 1995 Chevy Camaro.... It's fair to assume that unless you tried a much newer car..that many of the things are exactly the same even though they are different brands? make sense? conversely, you cant be driving a 2010 ford mustang, and decide you dont want a ford anymore and then go drive a 1995 chevy camaro.... get it?

HUH?????

The difference between Radiance class ships and any other ships the same vintage is more like driving a 1995 Datsun vs a 1995 Corvette,,,,,,,,,

I was a novice cruiser when I first went on CCL. Did 3 of them I think.

The first thing I noticed was the difference in ships on RCL. Carnival just

doesn't "get it" in terms of the interior of their ships. Wish I could

remember the name of the "then" newer CCL ship I cruised on with a

group. In the dining room there were large pink plastic (think pepto

bismol) discs throughout...at about ceiling height. Not at all the

sophisticated decor or RC dining rooms...just to mention one feature.

HUH was my thought when I read your post, not even close in your analogy. By the way went on one Carnival cruise, the next 44 have been with RCL......:eek:

For starters, about the only ships in Carnival's fleet that compare to either sovereign or monarch are probably ones like sensation. Brilliance is our favorite ship, and head and shoulders architecturally and decor above than anything we've sailed on Carnival. Balconies (not the room, but the veranda itself) are easily 2x the size of anything on carnival As for nickels and dimes, everything that's free on Carnival is free on RCL, and everything you pay extra for on Carnival, you pay the same amount for on RCL

The "new" drink prices on RCL are NOT the same as Carnival.

RCL has never impressed us. In fact, we considered it to be equal to CCL, just a bit higher in price and nickeled and dimed until it hurts.

I don't think I would be booking a cruise if these were my expectations going in. On second thought, I definitely wouldn't be booking a cruise if these were my expectations going in. :confused:

The "new" drink prices on RCL are NOT the same as Carnival.

But neither cruise line gives them away for free either. I guess if you are intent on splitting hairs, 25 cents more for a beer on one line compared to the other would be a real deal killer. ;)

For one thing, you should have more live music with RCI including a 9-piece ship's big-band, a pool band, another dance band, and 4 singers in the singing/dancing shows. CCL has cut way back on live music -- no pool bands, 5 pieces in the ship's band, and 2 singers in the shows (at least that's what it was when I was on the Conquest in May 2011).

I agree with others about the voyager class and higher. My first real "wow" was on the Voyager of the Seas. The Rhapsody and Spendour are nice ships, but not the WOW factor of the voyager class.

Edited by Jimnbigd

We were on the Brilliance Dec. 2014 and loved it. Check out the guitarist Pablo Espedito (sorry for spelling) he can play anything!

Four piece strings in the centrum and don't forget the aerial show and roast beef sandwiches!

She is one of our favorite ships!

I don't think I would be booking a cruise if these were my expectations going in. On second thought, I definitely wouldn't be booking a cruise if these were my expectations going in. :confused:

I have to agree with Big G. It seems like you already have decided you won't like it as much. You stated you were not impressed with Royal Caribbean, so likely you won't be impressed. I've done 4 Carnival, 1 NCL, 1 Princess and 20 Royal Caribbean. All I can say is there is a reason for that. Truth be told there are plusses and minuses to each line. But the plusses of Royal Caribbean for me, out weigh the plusses of other lines. In my opinion only, there is a reason why Carnival tends to be a cheaper cruise line.

There is no way anyone here can convince you to like Royal Caribbean. We can tell you all about the nicer appointed cabins, the beautiful decor, the ease of transversing the ship from bow to stern, etc. And can say what I don't like about Carnival is how chopped up the ship seems to me, how the decor seems more "glitzy" less sophisticated, how the balconies are smaller, etc. But those are subjective "likes" and may mean nothing to you. So I would suggest that you go on Royal Caribbean with the attitude that you are going love it and see the positive differences, not the negative differences. Otherwise you will again "not be impressed" and might as well cancel the cruise.

You don't know nickel and dimed until you've been on NCL. As for RCI, Brilliance is a very different ship than Carnival ships. It's much more refined and much more beautiful.

We have only done three RCI cruises...older ships a while back....lots of Carnival...some NCL..and Hal...I am really looking forward to our March cruise on the Brilliance...Kids have booked us into a Junior suite...cannot wait:)

Someone who has sailed RCI more than us said that breakfast in the MDR was much better than say Carnival or going to the Lido...any input on that?

Also I don't quite understand what perks we'll get being in a junior suite..will we get priority boarding..we are Platinum with Carnival and working on 3 stars with Hal...thanks for any info:):):)

I find your approach a little odd...why would you book a cruise on a line that has never impressed you?:confused:

On a short cruise, you will probably find the on-board experience similar. The Brilliance will be MUCH less crowded than any Carnival ship. I think Royal Caribbean's ships are beautiful (all classes) and I have found them far easier to navigate than Carnival's ships. If you're a pool person, the pools are bigger and there is still a dedicated adult pool area, which Carnival eliminated when they started putting in the Serenity areas. If you eat in the Lido a lot, you will probably miss some of the options Carnival has -- like the deli, the burrito bar, etc. Park Café on the Brilliance has made to order sandwiches and a decent salad bar.

To really see a difference, you need to take at least a seven night cruise on Voyager class or above. I resisted Oasis because of size, but when we finally cruised on Oasis I was stunned.

Edited by Cindy

But neither cruise line gives them away for free either. I guess if you are intent on splitting hairs, 25 cents more for a beer on one line compared to the other would be a real deal killer. ;)

Hey - for some folks, it would be!

I would disagree.

Carnival has more free food options, their buffets are open longer, and later.

Carnival cruises are almost always less expensive then a similar RCL cruise.

Carnival's business strategy is different then RCL's, RCL has gone the route of the 'ship is the destination' with larger ships and fewer port stops, where Carnival focuses more on ports by building new ports for their ships to stop at!

Comparing all the other costs such as excursions, drinks, ect. Carnival is less expensive then RCL.

The one area RCL has excelled is the higher levels of their loyalty club get more benes. then Carnivals.

I find your approach a little odd...why would you book a cruise on a line that has never impressed you?

I agree! Why would a person book a cruise that they have "NEVER" ben impressed with??! And if the Sovereign and Monarch was the only ships they have sailed on then...... oh WOW....there have been a lot of classes of ships in RCI's fleet since those two were built that are a lot more impressive. And from my understanding RCI wasn't even nickel & diming back then even as far back as 2008 when I took my first cruise which was on Sovereign! I have seen Carnivals Sensation and I don't like the way it look on the outside to make me not want to sail on it! :cool:

I have never understood the "nickle and dime" comments at all. :confused: You know whats included going in when booking a cruise and a simple "no thank you" ALWAYS suffices on any upsell.

If I were you, I would stick to Carnival. You know what you are getting already. I would NEVER give my money to a company Ive never been impressed with. You are missing a lot by not trying RC again though and only having two Sovereign class ships to judge you experience by. For one thing, a Radiance class ship will be MUCH better than anything Carnival has in their fleet as far as decor goes and you wont run into dead ends everywhere when trying to navigate throughout the ship.