My Expectations are Equal To Carnival

No way do I consider CCL and RCCL equivalent. The RCCL ships are so much more beautiful, there is way more to do on RCCL and the entertainment is head and shoulders above Carnival. I am Diamond on both lines so I have a good basis for comparison. Also, the clientele on RCCL is very different than what you get on Carnival.

People should stop adding this to their post because the only ships that are really limited is Oasis Class!

Why stop if its the truth!

My opinion has always been an RCL cruise is for the ship, and the benes.(our D+ status), Carnival is for the price, and the itinerary.

It is a fact that Carnival has built/building more ports then RCL. Some like them, some don't, we like getting off the ship, so we're in the group that likes them.

I do agree with you that the Oasis class is limited because of size, but fans of the Oasis class won't care.

Happy cruising.:)

I've been on 5 Carnival cruises and 1 RC. Our Royal Caribbean cruise far exceeded anything we had with Carnival. It was the Oasis of the Seas and it was the most beautiful ship I've ever stepped foot on and their wine blew Carnivals out of the water. To be fair, I may not feel the same had we been on a different RC ship. Also, we have never been on the Breeze, which would be a better comparison. We loved the Oasis so much we booked another while onboard.

How many ports did Carnival build, or is building? I can think of a few RCI did or is planning.

Carnival owns ports in the Turks, Mahogany Bay Roatan, and Amber Cove Dominican Republic, RCL has no ports there.

Carnival has announced they will build a new port on Tortuga Island Haiti giving competition to RCL's Labadee.

So that totals Carnival 5 (with Half Moon Cay) to RCL's 2 (Labadee/Coco Cay)

I know none RCL is planning in the Caribbean, so I'd be interested in hearing about them if you know.

That's why I have the opinion RCL is about being on the ship, Carnival is more about getting off the ship in a port. Both have their fans.:)

Disagree, always interested in others opinions.:)

I've been on 5 Carnival cruises and 1 RC. Our Royal Caribbean cruise far exceeded anything we had with Carnival. It was the Oasis of the Seas and it was the most beautiful ship I've ever stepped foot on and their wine blew Carnivals out of the water. To be fair, I may not feel the same had we been on a different RC ship. Also, we have never been on the Breeze, which would be a better comparison. We loved the Oasis so much we booked another while onboard.

Honestly, for the money you pay to go on a Oasis Class, we'd choose a Celebrity Solstice Class ship if you're looking to stay in the RCL family.

Our opinion, the food, and service is far better on Celebrity, and the Solstice Class is every bit as beautiful.:)

We have only done three RCI cruises...older ships a while back....lots of Carnival...some NCL..and Hal...I am really looking forward to our March cruise on the Brilliance...Kids have booked us into a Junior suite...cannot wait:)

Someone who has sailed RCI more than us said that breakfast in the MDR was much better than say Carnival or going to the Lido...any input on that?

Also I don't quite understand what perks we'll get being in a junior suite..will we get priority boarding..we are Platinum with Carnival and working on 3 stars with Hal...thanks for any info:):):)

We're booked on the same Brilliance sailing in March. :)

Carnival owns ports in the Turks, Mahogany Bay Roatan, and Amber Cove Dominican Republic, RCL has no ports there.

Carnival has announced they will build a new port on Tortuga Island Haiti giving competition to RCL's Labadee.

I know none RCL is planning in the Caribbean, so I'd be interested in hearing about them if you know.

That's why I have the opinion RCL is about being on the ship, Carnival is more about getting off the ship in a port. Both have their fans.:)

Falmouth, Jamaica; Costa Maya, Mexico; Negotiating for a pier at Grand Cayman; International Pier next to Carnival's in Cozumel; second pier in St. Maartan; new pier in Nassau - and that's just the ones we've been to.

And, as far as i can find, other than Tortuga, RCL ports at all of those islands as well, so I guess RCl is about both ships AND ports;)

Edited by orville99

I try not to get into the whole CCL/RCI opinion debates. I'm just interested in what you said...that its a fact CCL has built or is building more ports than RCI. I knew about Turks and Mahogany Bay, but wasn't aware of others and it didn't read as though you were aware of RCI's. I just don't think what you said is actually a fact. By your post, there's obviously several you're not aware of.

RCCL built Falmouth, had a hand in Costa Maya, built Labadee into a port, has Coco Cay, and from articles I've read in the past couple years, RCI is looking to built it's own ports in Stake Bank (Belize), Sugar Point (Barbados) and in Ponce, PR. That's 7 just off the top of my head. On the CCL side, add in other destinations under the Carnival Corp umbrella like Princess Cays, I'd say, factually, the port development is pretty even.

We're booked on the same Brilliance sailing in March. :)

I tried to check out your review of the Brilliance..but could not see the pictures:( I am looking forward to a different ship...have heard that the Radiance class is very beautiful...

Falmouth, Jamaica; Costa Maya, Mexico; Negotiating for a pier at Grand Cayman; International Pier next to Carnival's in Cozumel; second pier in St. Maartan; new pier in Nassau - and that's just the ones we've been to.

And, as far as i can find, other than Tortuga, RCL ports at all of those islands as well, so I guess RCl is about both ships AND ports;)

The Turks, and Amber Cove opening up this fall in the Dominican Republic.

Carnival has also announced they will build another port on Tortuga Is. Haiti.

My opinion,,,

RCL is about the ship.

Carnival is about the ports.

I try not to get into the whole CCL/RCI opinion debates. I'm just interested in what you said...that its a fact CCL has built or is building more ports than RCI. I knew about Turks and Mahogany Bay, but wasn't aware of others and it didn't read as though you were aware of RCI's. I just don't think what you said is actually a fact. By your post, there's obviously several you're not aware of.

RCCL built Falmouth, had a hand in Costa Maya, built Labadee into a port, has Coco Cay, and from articles I've read in the past couple years, RCI is looking to built it's own ports in Stake Bank (Belize), Sugar Point (Barbados) and in Ponce, PR. That's 7 just off the top of my head. On the CCL side, add in other destinations under the Carnival Corp umbrella like Princess Cays, I'd say, factually, the port development is pretty even.

I think there are also plans for enhancing the ports in Curacao and St. Maarten. I also read about Royal developing something in Barbados.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

The Turks, and Amber Cove opening up this fall in the Dominican Republic.

Carnival has also announced they will build another port on Tortuga Is. Haiti.

My opinion,,,

RCL is about the ship.

Carnival is about the ports.

I have no problem with your opinion, but why are you trying to base that on your "fact" that CCL develops more ports than RCI, which is sort of false, because both cruise lines are developing lots of ports throughout the Caribbean.

I tried to check out your review of the Brilliance..but could not see the pictures:( I am looking forward to a different ship...have heard that the Radiance class is very beautiful...

The pictures were being pulled in from Facebook. Unfortunately, Facebook changed the image URLs sometime in the last year, so they no longer work.

I have no problem with your opinion, but why are you trying to base that on your "fact" that CCL develops more ports than RCI, which is sort of false, because both cruise lines are developing lots of ports throughout the Caribbean.

Because Carnival has more company owned ports, and they are building more.

RCL has 3 'company owned' ports(Labadee, Coco Cay, Falmouth)

Carnival has 6 current/soon to be open 'company owned' ports(Cozumel, Half Moon Cay, Turks, Mahogany Bay, Amber Cove, and in the future Tortuga Is.)

I know of no RCL new port in the planning stage, that RCL will build, and own in the Caribbean.

RCL has pulled out of New Orleans recently as a port of departure which both Carnival and NCL still service..

Carnival and NCL port at Progresso Mexico, RCL doesn't.

Carnival's focus is on building company owned ports.

RCL is focused on building huge 'destination' ships, building ports is not their focus.

That's what I base my opinion on.

They just have different business plans.

Because Carnival has more company owned ports, and they are building more.

RCL has 3 'company owned' ports(Labadee, Coco Cay, Falmouth)

Carnival has 6 current/soon to be open 'company owned' ports(Cozumel, Half Moon Cay, Turks, Mahogany Bay, Amber Cove, and in the future Tortuga Is.)

I know of no RCL new port in the planning stage, that RCL will build, and own in the Caribbean.

RCL has pulled out of New Orleans recently as a port of departure which both Carnival and NCL still service..

Carnival and NCL port at Progresso Mexico, RCL doesn't.

Carnival's focus is on building company owned ports.

RCL is focused on building huge 'destination' ships, building ports is not their focus.

That's what I base my opinion on.

They just have different business plans.

On the off chance that any of that is more than supposition, your underlying premise was that RCL was all about the ship as the destination and Carnival was all about the ports. That premise doesn't mesh with who owns or doesn't own a particular port. The reality is that on any given ship on any given itinerary, the ratio of port stops to sea days between the two lines is virtually identical. I would question the business model of a cruise company that puts more energy into building ports that don't move than into its ships, however.

I answered that question in my last post.

Here's a link to what Royal Caribbean is doing in Barbados:

http://www.caribbean360.com/business/barbados-enters-into-joint-venture-with-royal-caribbean-cruises

Here's a link to what Royal Caribbean is doing in Belize:

http://www.******************.com/2013/09/06/royal-caribbean-invest-new-156-million-belize-cruise-port-project

Here's a link to what Royal Caribbean wants to do in Ponce:

http://www.caribbeanbusiness.pr/prnt_ed/news02.php?nw_id=4971&ct_id=90

Form you own opinions...fine...I don't care what people's opinions are of individual cruise lines, but don't say something is a "fact" when it's just an assumption you're making.

But all this aside, what are the real differences between CCL and RCI itineraries? When I compare Florida and PR departures between these 2 lines, they appear identical, or they have the same number of ports/sea days. One thing I will agree on is that RCI does build ships that are destinations in and of themselves, but what I don't agree on is your "fact" that CCL is more focused on ports.

Edit...I don't know why the Belize link isn't working. Just Google RCI's development of Stake Bank

Edited by Aquahound

Sounds like Carnival Splendor. And I agree, until I sailed on the Breeze, nothing about Carnival's decor impressed me. And I will concede that Carnival's complimentary venues may be a bit better, such as Guy's Burgers. But other than that, nothing about Carnival even touches RCCL, IMO.

I happen to like RCCL much better than Carnival. However, I think saying that nothing about Carnival other than a few complimentary venues even touches RCCL is going too far. Carnival does have a few good points and one that I can think of is their steakhouse. I much prefer that to Chops. And, while both steakhouses have a $35 cover charge, the cover charge in the Carnival steakhouse covers everything you can order from the menu (except drinks), including lobster. Chops has several entrees on their menu that cost additional, such lobster and dry aged steaks. Also (and I find this hard to understand), you cannot get a baked potato in Chops any more. Baked potatoes are still available (and without an extra charge) at the Carnival steakhouses (and at almost every other steakhouse in the world).

I happen to like RCCL much better than Carnival. However, I think saying that nothing about Carnival other than a few complimentary venues even touches RCCL is going too far. Carnival does have a few good points and one that I can think of is their steakhouse. I much prefer that to Chops. And, while both steakhouses have a $35 cover charge, the cover charge in the Carnival steakhouse covers everything you can order from the menu (except drinks), including lobster. Chops has several entrees on their menu that cost additional, such lobster and dry aged steaks. Also (and I find this hard to understand), you cannot get a baked potato in Chops any more. Baked potatoes are still available (and without an extra charge) at the Carnival steakhouses (and at almost every other steakhouse in the world).

I do believe after much uproar, baked potatoes were added back to the Chops menu after they were initially removed.

Good point. While I have never been to a Carnival steakhouse, its is my understanding that you get USDA PRIME aged steaks included for the 35.00 per person. Royal charges you 18-20 dollars more for a "better steak". And no one I have ever talked to that sail both Carnival and Royal gives Chops the edge over Carnivals steakhouses.

They did add the baked potato back to the menu in Chops though.

I

Does anything newer exist on this? The article is dated 2011, and mentions plans for 2012 that obviously didn't happen. I was on Allure in 2013 and asked about Ponce as a port and got a bunch of blank stares, indicating that at least this team didn't now anything.

Does anything newer exist on this? The article is dated 2011, and mentions plans for 2012 that obviously didn't happen. I was on Allure in 2013 and asked about Ponce as a port and got a bunch of blank stares, indicating that at least this team didn't now anything.

I wish there was. I heard some scuttlebutt about it last year when I was in PR for business, suggesting it was still on the table, but I haven't seen any updated articles.

That's not entirely true. RCCL drink packages are either "cheaper" or "more" depending on which one, but the packages include much more than on Carnival, which makes it a better prices. Plus on Carnival, it cost $60.00 to get on the ship, and get a special line at the desk, and on RCCL you get on faster based on your loyalty level, and usually the lines on the ship, are small. Since I prepay everything, my last end of cruise invoice was $45.00. Wouldn't exactly call that nickel and dimed.

True. I always try and use averages whenever this type of discussion comes up, and on average, the prices of drink packages are comparable. The one big difference, however, is that Carnival's packages have a daily limit, while RCL's don't.

But Carnival, everyone in the stateroom must buy one, but on RCCL, each individual can purchase one for themselves. I get the $49 a day package, and my wife gets a soda. (and no, we don't share but sometimes, I drink her soda, and sometimes, she drinks mine:eek:)

I answered that question in my last post.

Here's a link to what Royal Caribbean is doing in Barbados:

http://www.caribbean360.com/business/barbados-enters-into-joint-venture-with-royal-caribbean-cruises

Here's a link to what Royal Caribbean is doing in Belize:

http://www.******************.com/2013/09/06/royal-caribbean-invest-new-156-million-belize-cruise-port-project

Form you own opinions...fine...I don't care what people's opinions are of individual cruise lines, but don't say something is a "fact" when it's just an assumption you're making.

But all this aside, what are the real differences between CCL and RCI itineraries? When I compare Florida and PR departures between these 2 lines, they appear identical, or they have the same number of ports/sea days. One thing I will agree on is that RCI does build ships that are destinations in and of themselves, but what I don't agree on is your "fact" that CCL is more focused on ports.

Edit...I don't know why the Belize link isn't working. Just Google RCI's development of Stake Bank

Good get, I hadn't heard about the RCL Barbados project, which is what I asked you!

The Starke project in Belize I read was not going forward at this time, politics in Belize was thereason, but the southern NCL project was still going.

I also accept that your opinion is different then mine. I see it differently then you. And for me it is a fact.