Talking during a show

Solas36

Thanks for the reminder about some Asian audiences - went to a university student production in Mongolia once and could not believe how everyone was initially quiet ....until the production began. Then all the sudden the audience talking to each other and it became an uproar. And this was in the days before cell phones. Never seen anything like that before, nor after. But haven't been to the cinema in Hong Kong either. I'll take your word for it. :eek: Our Mongolian guide was perplexed when I even asked her about it. Her response was why not?

Thanks for a great laugh. I have a nephew who lives in Korea. I'll have to ask him if it's the same there. We forget how different we are at times, don't we.

Edited by Beejay4016

Is it Ok to talk during the Piano Man's songs?

When does background music become a concert?

I never listen to the strings myself, but I have wondered if it was a concert - no talking - or background music as I walk by. Some of the chairs face away from the performers as I recall .....seems to encourage conversation.

As to the Adagio, when does a performance become background music?????

It is a performance and when you have some skilled musicians playing, most who appreciate good music and went to hear it do like to listen ;) If you want to treat it as background music, then it's easy to go into the adjoining room or another location to talk so as not to disturb the performers and those trying to hear them.

Edited by kazu

I never listen to the strings myself, but I have wondered if it was a concert - no talking - or background music as I walk by. Some of the chairs face away from the performers as I recall .....seems to encourage conversation.

As someone who loves classical music, I truly appreciate Adagio. Virtually everyone who packs, and I mean, packs the Explorer's Lounge is there to listen, enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine and relax. Perhaps that's why today's musicians feel they have to scream in order to be heard. Since the "music" they perform requires little in the way of formal training or even talent, playing or singing loudly will garner the attention they want.

Adagio, on the other hand, have spent years training and practicing and deserve the respect of a polite audience as do the audience members who are enjoying the music.

I remember a few years ago in Myrtle Beach when we paid quite a lot for tickets to hear a well known country singer whose name escapes me now. At any rate we wound up seated in front of Jim Bob and Bobbie Sue who were super excited to be there. They proceeded to sing along to every song to the point where we heard them instead of the singer we had paid to hear. No amount of frosty looks made any impression. They were in hillbilly heaven and spent a blissful evening. We, on the other hand left feeling like we had wasted our money.

I've had it happen at musicals. Rarely on Broadway, although we did go to a revival of "Pippin" and a teenage girl sang along with all of "her" songs because she'd played that part at her high school. But sometimes at regional/suburban theatres where they do revivals of well known plays I hear sing-alongers. VERY annoying.

I don't like it when entertainers invite the audience to sing along. I always end up near someone who's tone-deaf.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I will generalize. We have found the Russian passengers the worst offenders during shows as well as on shore excursions. In fact we see this all over when there are groups of Russian tourists. They are having a good time themselves, laughing and calling out to each other but very intrusive to everyone else sharing the space with them.

There is another national group that does this, which I will not name. They were playing games on their phone and talking loudly during Adagio. I apologized to the players afterwards calling them Russians. They weren't.

Love it!:D:D

That's me! So those of you who are annoyed when I must leave during a song or dance, please try to be more understanding..;)

There is that for sure!

I was not referring to those folks with uncontrollable urges that can't wait 90 or so seconds, but folks who leave in the middle of a song or dance with their partner or those who never return. The point I was making is you don't see as many of these interruptions when you go to a paid theater production or concert.

We have noticed this on the last three cruises. First of the three, I asked loudly the two ladies (assumedly) to please be quiet after my turning around and staring had no effect. I suspect my command voice and loudly had an effect as they suddenly seemed sheepish and finally left. I wasn't trying to chase them off, but this was a concert pianist and Rachmaninoff did not have a chorus in background when he composed this piece.

On the second one, a couple of 'yoots' decided to take pictures during the performance with their phones. Naturally, it lit up the whole area. I waited patiently and they finally stopped. No action taken.

The third time, the couple were constantly talking .. I used plan A above and they were quiet after that .. maybe they just didnt realize how loud they were (OR ..they were on a honeymoon and newly in love) as my turning around did not even get their attention. But part 2 worked fortunately.

harry

I still remember my "talker death ray glare" from my days ushering in movie houses a long, long time ago. It works about 1/3 of the time. Today, one is more apt to encounter someone texting and talking on their smart phone.

I can't do that as I went out of my way to find a dumb phone when I needed one. I do not text, I do not tweet, I do not browse the web from a phone. I am not a technical Luddite, I try to lead a simple life and not allow the modern world to intrude any more than it must.

I do detest talking during a show of any kind. The fine art of whispering has been lost, I fear.

Doc:(

It's really just a small clutch, but it's got thick lead rod in the bottom. There's also a tear gas canister, and a two stage 630V tubular "cattle prod" capacitor. It's chic, stylish, and has room for lipsticks, face powder, cash, credit cards, and a Dillinger / Derringer. Available in full grain Napa leather, suede, or simulated crocodile or ostrich grain.

I want one!

As someone who loves classical music, I truly appreciate Adagio. Virtually everyone who packs, and I mean, packs the Explorer's Lounge is there to listen, enjoy a cocktail or glass of wine and relax. Perhaps that's why today's musicians feel they have to scream in order to be heard. Since the "music" they perform requires little in the way of formal training or even talent, playing or singing loudly will garner the attention they want.

Adagio, on the other hand, have spent years training and practicing and deserve the respect of a polite audience as do the audience members who are enjoying the music.

Actually, most pop and rock musicians spent years in musical study and their parents spent veritable fortunes before they reached fame and fortune. Often they trained classically first. They just chose a different form of music to express themselves which lends itself to large venues, screaming fans and sing alongside. They are no less gifted musicians (Pink comes to mind) but aren't really meant to entertain in smaller, relaxing venues. Can you imagine someone swinging naked on a demolition ball in your favourite piano bar? I have to admit with considerable embarrassment that I have had more trouble with older adults in theatres than teens or young people. Somehow it's not ok for young people to talk but age gives these people some right of passage to talk about getting more popcorn, moving seats, flat pop etc. And yes, I'm in my fifties so I'm in the sinning group though I'd die before I chatted in a theatre. Or at a performance.

Edited by chefestelle

Pearl handled, of course.

With the newly relaxed dress code, are you going to keep the pearl handled gun on formal nights, or are you planning on the Smart Casual nickel-plated Derrringer every day?

Also, do you switch to silver plated bullets or are you going copper every day. (Airline charges and all, you know.)

With the newly relaxed dress code, are you going to keep the pearl handled gun on formal nights, or are you planning on the Smart Casual nickel-plated Derrringer every day?

M' dear, every young lady is taught that pearls are appropriate for every occasion, with the possible exception of childbirth. ;)

M' dear, every young lady is taught that pearls are appropriate for every occasion, with the possible exception of childbirth. ;)

It's nice to see someone who's not rushing to dumb down their personal protection, just because jackets are no longer required. (I'm pretty sure this thread has earned us extra luggage scrutiny.)

It's been my theory for several years that this is why cruise ship shows and the local movies are performed at such a loud volume these days - an attempt is being made to drown out the gabbers, or at least limit their annoyance range. Unfortunately it's just viewed as a challenge by many of them.

Personally, if I want to have a conversation with someone, I do NOT go to a music/entertainment venue out of consideration of others. There are plenty of other places to talk. (I am not thinking of an occasional comment to a companion - but real talking.)

Even in the Piano bar, most folks come to hear the music - not others talk. Plus, the music there is usually loud enough that one has to speak loudly to be heard - even more disruptive.

I well remember an experience - I was in the Piano bar after 11:00 PM and two women came into the area and stood by the seated patrons - talking very loudly - obviously it was going to be an ongoing conversation in no way related to the music. Now, the one woman had two young children with her - one about 2 and the other maybe 5 years old. They were very bored, tired looking and restless (remember - after 11:00 PM), but not disruptive. I kindly asked the women if they would take their conversation elsewhere when the mother turned to her about 5 year old and said in a very loud and harsh manner - "See, I told you some old people hate kids". I and others around who heard both our comments were absolutely floored. Interesting what she apparently "heard" - guilt perhaps? While I did feel sorry for the kids, they seemed to be doing OK.

By the way, the two women continued the loud conversation - a number of us near her simply left - it was going to be a no compromise situation.

I was not referring to those folks with uncontrollable urges that can't wait 90 or so seconds, but folks who leave in the middle of a song or dance with their partner or those who never return. The point I was making is you don't see as many of these interruptions when you go to a paid theater production or concert.

True. It's the groups of people leaving who are the disruption, not just one person at a time. A needed bathroom break is understandable -- but usually that's just one person. :D

I well remember an experience - I was in the Piano bar after 11:00 PM and two women came into the area and stood by the seated patrons - talking very loudly - obviously it was going to be an ongoing conversation in no way related to the music. Now, the one woman had two young children with her - one about 2 and the other maybe 5 years old. They were very bored, tired looking and restless (remember - after 11:00 PM), but not disruptive. I kindly asked the women if they would take their conversation elsewhere when the mother turned to her about 5 year old and said in a very loud and harsh manner - "See, I told you some old people hate kids". I and others around who heard both our comments were absolutely floored. Interesting what she apparently "heard" - guilt perhaps? While I did feel sorry for the kids, they seemed to be doing OK.

By the way, the two women continued the loud conversation - a number of us near her simply left - it was going to be a no compromise situation.

You should have qipped back that the kids can stay but she and her friend should leave.

I was at a show in NYC when a young obviously drunk girl was loudly singing and hooting. An usher came up and booted her out, unfortunately her well behaving friend were forced to leave with her.

Recently two stars, one an actress and one a singer took people to task for bad behavior. The actress scooped a cell phone out of the hands of a woman who was texting all during her performance and the singer took to task a man who was beating on his girlfriend or wife.

I don't mind singing during concerts, especially ones like Jimmy Buffett, but talking in the theatre above a whispered remark is a no no.

I don't go to the piano bar, not my thing. :) And no, Adagio is not background music. The chairs may face away because during the performers' breaks, of course, people like to talk. But the reason most of us are there is to listen to the classical music, and not talk to each other (which we could do somewhere else.) :)

I seem to have "talkers" behind me every time I go to the movies. I keep swearing that I will bring a small flashlight with me and shine it on them after two requests to pipe down!

What a great idea - just hit the flashlight option on your cell phone and turn it on them. Maybe the surprise will be enough to stun them into silence! :D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)