HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

No, it is not necessary to go that far. Most everyone will dress decently most of the time. I own a tuxedo which I pack for all cruises, even for lines that allow almost anything to be worn on "elegant" nights. DW and I always get compliments for looking good on those nights.

I like your idea. DH wears a jacket and tie to Pinnacle, regardless of the night's dress code.

A friend who sails with RC said that on the new ship (Allure?) it's all separate restaurants, no MDR. She said that on their cruise last winter the restaurant that requires "formal" wear (I think jacket and tie counts) is the one that sold out first.

But did it sell out because of the dress code, or because of the quality of the food?

I like your idea. DH wears a jacket and tie to Pinnacle, regardless of the night's dress code.

A friend who sails with RC said that on the new ship (Allure?) it's all separate restaurants, no MDR. She said that on their cruise last winter the restaurant that requires "formal" wear (I think jacket and tie counts) is the one that sold out first.

Dining options have been expanded but "Guests on board Allure of the Seas will enjoy ....dinner options in early and late seating dining -- as well as the flexible My Time Dining program -- in the ships' Main Dining Rooms, among up to 20 dining options aboard the world's largest and most innovative cruise ships"

Edited by qsuzi

Dining options have been expanded but "Guests on board Allure of the Seas will enjoy ....dinner options in early and late seating dining -- as well as the flexible My Time Dining program -- in the ships' Main Dining Rooms, among up to 20 dining options aboard the world's largest and most innovative cruise ships"

Oops, sorry, it was Quantum, the new one where they had to book all dinners and shows in advance.

Can someone please explain to me what is all the fuss about !

Why is discussions about what we wear on these boats more popular then ship itself or ports of call ?

For some reason the top 3 subjects on the forum have always been:

What to wear for dinner (supper)

Bring your own wine

Smoking

Sometimes there's some talk about ships and destinations as well ;)

Oops, sorry, it was Quantum, the new one where they had to book all dinners and shows in advance.

My apologies if you are correct. I haven't been on the Allure in a few years so their website language may be misleading. I just got e-mail from an RCI regular who said this talked about change may now be in effect.

Bring your own wine

Smoking

Sometimes there's some talk about ships and destinations as well ;)

Thanks for posting this! ;)

We were on Volendam two weeks ago, Smart shorts were not allowed in the Main Dining room on any night. Tidy jeans (not frayed / faded) were allowed in Dining room any night except Formal nights. All ladies were wearing long dressed, cocktail dresses, smart blouses & skirts or trousers (ie not all LONG but def very smart for formal nights). Men without jackets were allowed in to Formal dinner BUT they were in minority and looked rather out of place

First of all, your suggested dress code is punctuated properly. Try making a run on sentence. It'll be more authentic. :) Here's the real one. Use it as an example.

"For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts."

With the old dress code, you could never tell if someone was nicely dressed because they wanted to be, or if they were nicely dressed because they were forced to be. With the new dress code, you'll have a much better indication of a person's motivation. It's not perfect, but there's definitely something to be said for the voluntary stratification.

Edited by POA1

The truth of the matter is that Hal hasn't made a decision. If they'd actually made a decision it would be to go to all smart casual. They have done nothing but muddy the water and make it more difficult to decide what to wear whether people agree with that or not.

Great post- I couldn't agree more. I'm in Florida, everyone walks around in Crocs and cargo shorts. Why bother going on vacation if it's no different than being home? I saw a guy in flannel pajamas on my last cruise in the dining room. It wasn't formal night it was the last night of the cruise.

$50 bucks say he also slept in them ,then flew on his plane with them too.

The sky isn't falling but there's too many clueless people walking around,if you have to ask if a golf shirt and dockers is considered formal,you're pretty much clueless. Soon "People On Cruise Ships" will replace "People Of Walmart"

Hey -at least we'll get some laughs.

I hope those flannel pj's had a collar. After all that would meet the requirements, even for gala nights :D;).

Great post- I couldn't agree more. I'm in Florida, everyone walks around in Crocs and cargo shorts. Why bother going on vacation if it's no different than being home? I saw a guy in flannel pajamas on my last cruise in the dining room. It wasn't formal night it was the last night of the cruise.

That's just giving Florida a bad name.

You should probably narrow it down, because in our part of Florida the Crocs have been stopped. We've had an aggressive spraying regimen and a serious public education campaign. I realize that Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties might be an anomaly, but we have the highest hurricane glass standards in the world for a long time. It's been years since the flying Crocs have injured anyone during a tropical storm.

The truth of the matter is that Hal hasn't made a decision. If they'd actually made a decision it would be to go to all smart casual. They have done nothing but muddy the water and make it more difficult to decide what to wear whether people agree with that or not.

From HAL website "Smart Casual is appropriate and can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and a skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Shorts, flip-flops, swimwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are best left to daytime and the poolside."

As one who enjoys wearing black tie and seeing my wife have an opportunity to wear her nicest dresses, I lament the passing of one of the last places where this is appropriate. A highlight of my cruises is now gone.

Any semblance of a dress code is virtually gone. What a shame.

I know that HAL has not had a true "formal" requirement for years now, since they lowered the standard to suit and tie for men. This - while also regrettable - at least attempted to keep a modicum of class. People act differently when they are dressed up. Everything slows down, voices are lowered, people act more civil. Now this too is gone. Gone because HAL allowed it to go.

As an aside - but a similar parallel: When our kids were young, dinners were typical what you might expect with 6 and 8 year olds- noisy, rushed, hectic. We decided one night a week to turn off the lights and have candles lit during dinner. It is amazing the difference those nights. Voices were quieter, everyone slowed down, we had much calmer conversations with the kids. We dined, not just ate.

I think this is also what happens when people are dressed well for dinner - in a room full of people similarly dressed.

For those who say "wear it anyway", you miss the point. A formal dinner is one where everyone is in formal attire. It is where the attendees are as much a part of the ambiance of the evening as the china, glassware, table linens and music. Sitting at a table with someone next to me in a golf shirt and khakis is not the same experience.

To those who say "it is my vacation, I can dress as I wish" - you now have HAL's permission to do so. I am sure it will not be long before the same people who said "what is the difference between Black Tie and a Business Suit and Tie?" will say:

" why long pants? why not shorts?"

" Why a shirt with a collar? why not a tee shirt?"

"The airlines will only allow me to bring tank tops".

Thank a lot.

Nicely put.....

You forgot to make sure that it is a "really nice" Tee shirt.........sigh

IMHO this was a good decision by HAL.

Perhaps the new management will make a difference. For once HAL seems to be going where the puck is going to be, not where is was.

People used to dress up to fly,now they wear sweatpants. I never saw anyone in pajamas in the grocery store as a kid,now it's the norm. yea the pucks there but is it better?

Edited by Wakepatrol

Well I guess the schleppers finally made us say "Uncle"

HAL- just have a separate dining room for people that want to dress. Charge people an extra $100 per cruise to eat in there. Have bigger shrimp,more lobster,and better cuts of meat.

You'll have people lined up with a jacket to get in there (it's always about the food) you can even get into selling jackets on the ship. Order a bunch,they'll go like hotcakes.

They already have that. It's called Le Cirque. Without wine paring it's only $49 PP. Food is fantastic. But, they want to make it profitable. There's never been talk about having to dress formally there. It would cut into the attendance. People will not stop going because someone can wear casual clothes. Some people could stop going if they had to wear formal clothes. It's all about making it appealing to the masses.

That spells it out as plainly as can be that a jacket or tie are not required. You can't get more clear really.

Appropriate /= required

Are you sure you don't mean <>? I miss my old school not equal to. The whole escape equal thing makes me sad. ;)

Bring your own wine

Smoking

So if I were to ask about what I have to wear for dinner to accompany my own wine that I brought which I can enjoy close to a smoking spot, would that cause the board to simply explode? ;)

On original topic, I have never been as passionately defensive of either wearing formal wear or wearing casual wear at dinner - I'm perfectly fine either way, and if the formal nights are still mostly populated by jackets and ties, I will bring mine and happily wear them - if the dining room is now mostly filled with people not wearing them, I'll leave them behind and go without. I've always had suits when cruising, and it just feels natural and normal to bring them along and I have yet to be on a ship where I felt like an odd-man out for wearing one - but I suppose if I was on a ship where 95% of the dining room was in collared shirts and slacks, I'd probably ditch the jacket and tie myself and just fit in.

The only thing that would be nice to know in advance would be just how many people will be eschewing the jacket and tie. It's not a matter of feeling out of place wearing one and seeing others who aren't - it's more a matter of the convenience of packing. Suits and jackets require different packing and luggage arrangements, so if I knew that the ship was going to be almost entirely casual, it would save me some effort and some inconvenience if I could leave the suits at home and just pack my luggage a little lighter with more slacks and shirts that can be folded up in less space. I make the arrangements to bring a garment bag with the jackets because I need to - but it would feel like wasted effort especially if having to fly to or from a port and meeting airline luggage restrictions and extra fees only to find that the jacket was not needed and out of place.

They already have that. It's called Le Cirque. Without wine paring it's only $49 PP. Food is fantastic. But, they want to make it profitable. There's never been talk about having to dress formally there. It would cut into the attendance. People will not stop going because someone can wear casual clothes. Some people could stop going if they had to wear formal clothes. It's all about making it appealing to the masses.

No- Food trumps everything,just like my new dog I must crate,hates the crate but throw the cheese in there and he goes in every single time,food always wins,they'll be no drop off of attendance

Edited by Wakepatrol

Celebrity maintains jacket/tie on formal nights but the optional dining venues remain optional. So does Princess and RCI.

We have been on a number of Celebrity, RCI and Princess cruises. We have not noticed that they have sunk to the depths of depravity with this policy.

Why not give this a little time to shake out instead of immediately decrying that the sky is falling?

If the new policy does not work for you then simply do what we do when we are not happy with a cruise line or a ship....vote with your feet and with your wallets. There are options out there for everyone.

Well put.

In addition to these lines mentioned, NCL has smart casual dress attire in the evenings, with a few nights designated as optional "dress up". Everyone seemed perfectly happy, and those that chose to dress up really enjoyed showing off their finery.

In our few NCL cruises, we did not witness any inappropriate attire in the MDR in the evenings. Agree with the above comment... let's just give this some time.

Celebrity maintains jacket/tie on formal nights but the optional dining venues remain optional. So does Princess and RCI.

We have been on a number of Celebrity, RCI and Princess cruises. We have not noticed that they have sunk to the depths of depravity with this policy.

Why not give this a little time to shake out instead of immediately decrying that the sky is falling?

If the new policy does not work for you then simply do what we do when we are not happy with a cruise line or a ship....vote with your feet and with your wallets. There are options out there for everyone.

The change does not really impact us as we pass on MDR on formal nights. We were actually surprised. We would have thought that if HAL made any change, they would modify their archaic smoking policy. Go figure.

Very well said and I can pretty much guarantee that is what is going to happen. But there are always going to be the Chicken Little's that the "Sky is Falling" (I know that ages me but I remember the book as a kid)I am been trying to say that everyone can still dress up if they want on Gala Nights and there will still be a lot of those that will.

The other term that comes to mind is "Mountain out of a Molehill" :D

The other things is if you have not notice HAL is hurting financially.....they have to give away cabins, the quality of food has sank to an all time low. They have the least amount of crew than any cruise line out there. Service is nothing to what it was 10 years ago. If they did not do something soon to get more people to WANT to cruise with HAL, HAL would soon go away. HAL was really the only cruise line remaining with just a few exceptions that still pushed Formal Nights. But because of the sinking they really had to make some major changes but yet allow those that still want to dress up to fee they can. HAL really is not HAL any longer of course either is Princess. They are really now one cruise line both called Holland America Group.

Personally I think there is a lot more shake down things to happen that will be more obvious.

From HAL website "Smart Casual is appropriate and can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and a skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Shorts, flip-flops, swimwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are best left to daytime and the poolside."

I'm not sure what this is about. I'm referring to the "gala" requirements so I'm not sure why you are quoting the smart casual suggestions. I'm suggesting the entire cruise be smart casual, so no gala.