HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

Curious when was the last time you were on another cruise line that the passengers on the other line were dressed LESS nicer than those on Hal? And what line was that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last few cruises was RCCL and 98 percent dressed same but there were some shorts and t-shirts, RCCL sometimes enforces dress code sometimes not, overall I prefer rccl because of entertainment and better suite perks

Can someone please explain to me what is all the fuss about !

Why is discussions about what we wear on these boats more popular then ship itself or ports of call ?

OK bob - let me explain it to you.

You can take any old ship to the isle of wherever. But how you get there and the experience on board differentiates one cruise line from another.

For many of us, one of the important aspects of the cruise experience is the evening dinner. Some even choose the cruise line based on the food and the dining experience. And many of us feel that the ambiance of a restaurant is an important part of the meal. Ambiance is created in many ways. For example, drinking wine from a wine glass is different from drinking wine from a solo cup. Roast pig served on china is different from eating it off of paper plates. And yes, being seated in a room with people dressed in finery is a different experience than being seated with in a room with people in shorts and tank tops.

For a long time, HAL has advertised itself as having a certain ambiance. Then, while it still advertised as such, it allowed that situation to change. Now, apparently, HAL is changing how it is defining itself. And some of us are disappointed in that.

Now I am guessing that you might not be a person who cares that much about ambiance. That food is food. And a ship is just a way to get from port A to port B. That's OK. That is you.

But for many others, that is what the fuss is about.

Edited by JPH814

Just was on the phone with a HAL representative . The formal nights are now called Gala dining in the MDR .At the Gala nights a man is expected to wear a suit or sport coat ,slacks & shirt with a tie ;). There really has been no changes to proper attire for the Gala nights .;)

To make my packing easier I wear my sport jacket on the plane along with my dress shoes & slacks .That lightens the baggage weight & keeps my DW happy :p

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me y'all. But I may not be the smartest turnip off the truck but I thought I asked a simple questions which I have no clue the answer.

Why are CC people so infatuate with the topic of formal wear and what people wear on the boat, more so than the boat activities, ports, wildlife, food, entertainment, etc ?

I think it all comes down to people needing something to gripe about. Either they think so highly of themselves that they are better than the rest of us or more likely, they think that dressing up gives them an appearance of class and an added festivity. Frankly, I could care less. Let them do what they want. We will do the same. The ports are what I want to see and a cruise is the easiest way to do that and cover as much territory as possible in a short amount of time. OH, and don't bring up smoking as that one will get your head cut off sooner than you can blink. There are rabid topics out there that people are passionate about. Dress Code, Smoking, Wine or Beverage Cards and of course Politics and Religion. If we stay away from those, we might just be able to go on our cruise without a problem.

You aren't the only one that pays more attention to the itinerary than some others. Having never cruised on HAL before, I can't provide you with an opinion of the food or entertainment but in most cases, you'll always find something you can eat. I'm usually too tired after touring all day to bother with the entertainment (:-). I wish you a wonderful cruise and I have to tell you I find your posts refreshing!

Karen

I know a number of you are disappointed about the change. This thread has been your opportunity to vent. Go right ahead. Just remember you're not alone. There are threads all over CC of people doing the same you are, about changes on other cruise lines. Whether it's Royal backing out of their planned new dining option or NCL adding fees, changing restaurants to al a carte, and cutting fireworks etc.etc.

The only constant is change. It's the only tradition you can depend on.

OK bob - let me explain it to you.

You can take any old ship to the isle of wherever. But how you get there and the experience on board differentiates one cruise line from another.

For many of us, one of the important aspects of the cruise experience is the evening dinner. Some even choose the cruise line based on the food and the dining experience. And many of us feel that the ambiance of a restaurant is an important part of the meal. Ambiance is created in many ways. For example, drinking wine from a wine glass is different from drinking wine from a solo cup. Roast pig served on china is different from eating it off of paper plates. And yes, being seated in a room with people dressed in finery is a different experience than being seated with in a room with people in shorts and tank tops.

For a long time, HAL has advertised itself as having a certain ambiance. Then, while it still advertised as such, it allowed that situation to change. Now, apparently, HAL is changing how it is defining itself. And some of us are disappointed in that.

Now I am guessing that you might not be a person who cares that much about ambiance. That food is food. And a ship is just a way to get from port A to port B. That's OK. That is you.

But for many others, that is what the fuss is about.

Well put......nicely said

I know CC members are a small percentage of cruisers. So after reading this entire thread, I cruise with great anticipation next month on the Amsterdam to see what it will be like dress wise in the evenings. Our boarding passes indicate 2 formal and 5 smart casual nights.

Just was on the phone with a HAL representative . The formal nights are now called Gala dining in the MDR .At the Gala nights a man is expected to wear a suit or sport coat ,slacks & shirt with a tie ;). There really has been no changes to proper attire for the Gala nights .;)

Did you read the thread, or just the first posting? Your HAL rep is wrong, not up to date, lying to you - what have you.

Very diplomatic. I was just sitting here wondering why people are so concerned with tearing down long-standing traditions instead of taking advantage of the all-casual-all-the-time cruise lines out there. Seems to me that's what they're looking for in a cruise line.

Very diplomatic. I was just sitting here wondering why people are so concerned with tearing down long-standing traditions instead of taking advantage of the all-casual-all-the-time cruise lines out there. Seems to me that's what they're looking for in a cruise line.

It may seem odd to you, but most people don't choose a cruise line based on the dress code. There are much more important (to us) decision points: destinations, embarkation port, cruise length, ship size, service, etc.

I also see few, if any, posts in this thread talking about "tearing down long-standing traditions" except from those lamenting the passing of "let's play dress up".

Still, if being with others pretending to be pre-war (WWI at that) British society, I do understand that Cunard still caters to that segment of cruisers.

Well put!

Back in the mid 1980s Holland America Line was taken over by Carnival Corporation. There was a lot of worries about HAL. The standards were bound to drop and they would just become a clone of Carnival Cruise Line. Carnival went to great lengths to tell people that they would not be the same.... they wanted a more high end product. Made sense to everyone. They built the beautiful S Class and everything looked very rosy. Lovely, traditional ship with good product... not high like Crystal or Cunard... but pretty close. Then Carnival acquired... Cunard, Princess, Costa, AIDA, Seabourn, P&O, etc.... they were all 'different'. If you wanted dressy cruising.... go to Cunard and HAL.... more mainstream.... Princess and Costa. The idea is great but it seems to be going off track. Cunard have kept their product quite much the same... well... similar as before. Probably because they are just three ships. HAL... now 16 ships. Got to fill them somehow and the result.... stealing passengers from RCCL and NCL and now we are ending up with very nice ships with the same product that you will get everywhere. I'm knocking those other cruise lines. It is just that they are beginning to look all the same.

Look at the history:

When black tie was required, people pushed the envelop by wearing business attire (suit and tie)

When suit and tie was required, people ignored that and dropped the tie and started wearing golf shirt and a sports jacket.

Now a jacket is no longer required, only no jeans and no shorts.

Why should we have faith in "grown up people"?

Look at society. None of these changes are unique to the cruise industry, and I'm not sure why some people expect time to be frozen in the 20th century once you board a ship. Cruise passenger demographics have changed significantly over the past decade or two, with a much broader representation of society, and its dress, cruising on all of the mass market lines.

Just an observation, not a knock on those who appreciated and would like to maintain the elegance of yore.

Well to me "Nice Jeans" are an oxymoron and should not be seen in formal restaurants

I think part of the problem is that people confuse "formal" with "upscale" Good jeans don't have a place in a formal setting, true formal means tux, or dinner jacket, gown or cocktail dress. But that's not necessarily upscale if the tux is rented, or the gown is a synthetic fabric, or if the food is banquet food & the table linens are synthetic.

Went to an upscale restaurant a few weeks ago in Newport Coast, the kind where if you commit the crime of showing up in a Mercedes sedan, the valet will hide it in the back :)

Dh wore good jeans, a black v neck tee, & a linen/silk blend sport coat, & appropriate sunglasses. & shoes. 90% of men were wearing some variety of the same outfit. The rest were wearing suits, but we're talking bespoke, super 200 wool, & fitting like a glove.

Showing up in a $400 suit would be the equivalent of showing up in overalls. :)

Service & food were impeccable. That's the difference between formal & upscale, & between the two, I'll take upscale every day.

Look at society. None of these changes are unique to the cruise industry, and I'm not sure why some people expect time to be frozen in the 20th century once you board a ship. Cruise passenger demographics have changed significantly over the past decade or two, with a much broader representation of society, and its dress, cruising on all of the mass market lines.

Just an observation, not a knock on those who appreciated and would like to maintain the elegance of yore.

Exactly! Look at Society! :eek: Hardly an improvement from days gone by, IMO! The way people not only dress but act! It's all about ME and no one is going to tell ME any differently! Blah, blah, blah, blah! Very sad!

While I'm looking at Cunard brochures, I suggest you contact a Carnival rep. HAL has always been a more genteel way to cruise. We don't want to lose that!!

There are still many reasons to continue sailing HAL and set it apart from Carnival. Adapting to the times and making changes favored by most of it's customers are needed to ensure profitability and fill the new/larger ships.

There are still many reasons to continue sailing HAL and set it apart from Carnival. Adapting to the times and making changes favored by most of it's customers are needed to ensure profitability and fill the new/larger ships.

How do you know it's favoured by most passangers? I see so many people saying no one wants to dress up. Without fail, every cruise I'm on the MDR is the busiest on formal nights.

DH and I will still be dressing up. One of the highlights of the cruise for us. Bring on the bling.

Bring on the bling...??

Sounds rather primitive to me. Even more when it would be the highligts of a cruise!

I'm glad that everybody can dress as he/she wishes (ofcourse with certain limitations).

No more tuxedo, because it's monday or so.

It may be different when it's for Christmass however.

I mean there should be a reason for everything.

How do you know it's favoured by most passangers? I see so many people saying no one wants to dress up. Without fail, every cruise I'm on the MDR is the busiest on formal nights.

(emphasis mine)

Because 95 percent of institutions on this planet have adjusted their dress codes to match the clientele. The overwhelming majority of those spending money no longer get hung up on clothing. Law firms, hotel clubs, airplane first class cabins, cruise lines, restaurants, churches, etc. all have changed their policies to match the social norm and preference.

Let's take Sail for instance, a self-proclaimed formal fan. She now openly admits it's not necessary or worthwhile. And she isn't in my generation or gender anything. It's not just us Gen X/Miliniaks, it's everywhere whether people admit it or not.

A cruise ship mirrors society, it isn't a time capsule to another century or decade.

At least a cruise line that arts to make $$$.

(emphasis mine)

Because 95 percent of institutions on this planet have adjusted their dress codes to match the clientele. The overwhelming majority of those spending money no longer get hung up on clothing. Law firms, hotel clubs, airplane first class cabins, cruise lines, restaurants, churches, etc. all have changed their policies to match the social norm and preference.

Let's take Sail for instance, a self-proclaimed formal fan. She now openly admits it's not necessary or worthwhile. And she isn't in my generation or gender anything. It's not just us Gen X/Miliniaks, it's everywhere whether people admit it or not.

A cruise ship mirrors society, it isn't a time capsule to another century or decade.

It's quite easy to say anything because you think it's so. Maybe where you live it is that way. When I'm in downtown Calgary I would say most people are dressed up. Yup, even the millennials. If you go to Tim Hortons or Walmart probably not. I wonder why the MDR is so busy or formal nights. Maybe the millennials aren't there :D. I don't think gala night in pretend formal wear is necessary but I don't proclaim to make a broad sweeping statement that its the preference of everyone. I especially wouldn't do it if it's a line that I don't have much experience with.

Edited by cruz chic

When people first started cruising, a cruise was a really special event. Now, a lot of people cruise frequently. Maybe they just don't feel like dressing up so much. They just want to get going again somewhere new. Or just being on a ship enjoying the amenities.

It's quite easy to say anything because you think it's so. Maybe where you live it is that way. When I'm in downtown Calgary I would say most people are dressed up. Yup, even the millennials. If you go to Tim Hortons or Walmart probably not. I wonder why the MDR is so busy or formal nights. Maybe the millennials aren't there :D. I don't think gala night in pretend formal wear is necessary but I don't proclaim to make a broad sweeping statement that its the preference of everyone. I especially wouldn't do it if it's a line that I don't have much experience with.

Please show me where you see the word everyone? Why do you think HAL is making the change? What do you base your opinion on other than just your personal experience on a HAL ship? My opinion is not based on personal knowledge of the reasons HAL made the change. My statement was "Adapting to the times and making changes favored by most of it's customers are needed to ensure profitability and fill the new/larger ships" did not say new/larger HAL ships. It was a statement about cruise lines in general but may be a reason that also applies to HAL.

Edited by qsuzi

When people first started cruising, a cruise was a really special event. Now, a lot of people cruise frequently. Maybe they just don't feel like dressing up so much. They just want to get going again somewhere new. Or just being on a ship enjoying the amenities.

Good point.....just finished my 17th cruise ....2nd to Alaska....I traveled with someone who was on their first cruise. Things I took for granted - really impressed them - a lot. It was good to reflect and consider how your expectations are continuously being raised making them harder and harder to meet.

I still like going formal, and while I was in the minority, everyone stepped it up a notch on gala night.....and the night was still special....not the same as a sea of tuxedos, but still nice.

I am looking at trying "crossing" on Cunard next summer to experience what may be the last of the classic cruises fades away as well.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

(emphasis mine)

There's many holes in your story. Attendance in churches is waning. People would rather sleep in. Therefore they need members so anything goes to fill pews. Airlines didn't "Relax" dress codes. Joe Schmo who wants to fly in sweatpants changed it. If I'm hiring an attorney he better have a suit and tie on.

How come newscasters all wear suit and ties? Didn't they get the memo to just roll in "As Is"