HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

POA! and inacal,

POA1 Thank you for the work you put into the calculations. I for one appreciate the work and the information. (For part of my career I was a statistics (University level) and math (high school level) teacher.)

inacal, I disagree with your seemingly outright dismissal (as it seemed to me) of POA1's work and its value. OF COURSE is does NOT tell the whole story - but it IS meaningful. You might disagree with the work of the crew as you experienced it, but not all of us have such sour experiences on board.

I do agree that the onboard management and staff deployment are also CRITICAL factors. However, first the crew numbers have to be there. If there are not the crew numbers - NO ONE will get the positive experiences many of us have had.

I am so sorry you have apparently had such dismal experiences with HAL and I am very appreciative of the fact that my experiences have been so different. (Pool - no experience looking for service there.) One thing I have learned - with most people, including cruise staff, a little bit of "honey" goes a long ways in improving service. (And I am NOT talking about money.)

Totally agree and thank you, too, POA1!

We also have not experienced bad Service on any of our HAL Cruises. In fact, it's been the opposite and have always received great Service from all our Waitstaff, Bar Servers, Room Attendants, etc.

Our last cruise in April our Bar Servers made me a cute little man out of Corks, wine bottle twist cap, etc. We'd walk into Happy Hour and they would see us coming in and hold up two fingers and say Cab?

I find a lot has to do with how you treat people. We are the type of people who treat our Waitstaff and Servers (including those on Lido) with respect and are friendly towards them. We've all seen rude people who talk down to them and maybe it's because it makes them feel more important or maybe they are just miserable people in their own lives on land or Sea.

A smile and treating them with respect does go along way! :)

This keeps being thrown around but I'd love to see photo evidence of this on gala/elegant/formal nights on other lines.

It's way to throw things against a wall but they don't always jive with reality.

I remember one poster a while back posting unflattering pics of cruisers on a formal night and he got a lot of very angry (to put it mildly) posts because of it. I'd be very hesitant to do that. On my cruise on the emerald princess in February there was a table of people wearing jeans and baseball caps on formal night, at least the men were. One dude sat there staring at me in my formal attire almost the whole meal. I wondered what was so interesting. I realize that was princess and not Hal.

Because - and its the major reason I love HAL - they're trying to accommodate ALL of their clientele.

But they aren't. They are sitting in the middle. I don't want to wear formal when I'll be in a mix with people that aren't. I find that uncomfortable because it's likely going to lead to questions about why I'm so dressed up. I'm speaking for myself only, no one needs to say I don't need to feel that way. If I wear casual, again that will lead to more uncomfortable discussions.

Totally agree and thank you, too, POA1!

We also have not experienced bad Service on any of our HAL Cruises. In fact, it's been the opposite and have always received great Service from all our Waitstaff, Bar Servers, Room Attendants, etc.

Our last cruise in April our Bar Servers made me a cute little man out of Corks, wine bottle twist cap, etc. We'd walk into Happy Hour and they would see us coming in and hold up two fingers and say Cab?

I find a lot has to do with how you treat people. We are the type of people who treat our Waitstaff and Servers (including those on Lido) with respect and are friendly towards them. We've all seen rude people who talk down to them and maybe it's because it makes them feel more important or maybe they are just miserable people in their own lives on land or Sea.

A smile and treating them with respect does go along way! :)

I agree with you to a point about being rude. Sometimes all the sweetness in the world can't help. I had two cruise on the na in 2012. One was awesome with great service. The second one about 9 months later was about as dismal as I've seen. The crew on the ship seemed miserable. I believe the management plays a huge roll in this. Happy ship, happy customers.

I remember one poster a while back posting unflattering pics of cruisers on a formal night and he got a lot of very angry (to put it mildly) posts because of it. I'd be very hesitant to do that. On my cruise on the emerald princess in February there was a table of people wearing jeans and baseball caps on formal night, at least the men were. One dude sat there staring at me in my formal attire almost the whole meal. I wondered what was so interesting. I realize that was princess and not Hal.

So 4 people out of 1200 or whatever? I don't consider than even on the radar of a trend toward sloppy dress.

So 4 people out of 1200 or whatever? I don't consider than even on the radar of a trend toward sloppy dress.

No, there were other guys in crocs and shorts. I don't know if they were eating in the MDR or not or if they were walking thru. You can't fit 1200 in the MDR at once. Also I didn't realize there had to be a certain percentage in order for it to count. Maybe you could quantify that.

But they aren't. They are sitting in the middle. I don't want to wear formal when I'll be in a mix with people that aren't. I find that uncomfortable .

So you want to wear formal, and you want everyone around you to do so, too? Sounds like me!, me!!, me!!! to me....

:(

So you want to wear formal, and you want everyone around you to do so, too? Sounds like me!, me!!, me!!! to me....

Oh my! Talk about a huge stretch. I want Hal to pick a side. I'm sure I've said this 50 times already that I don't want to wear formal but you've glossed over that all 50 times. I'm sorry you are having such a struggle with it. Most people get it. My head hurts from trying to explain this. You can argue among yourselves. I'm done.

Edited by cruz chic

It's me, me, me!

Formal nights, I wear a dark suit, shirt and tie.

I do not wear shorts, flip-flops (slippah!), baseball caps or tee-shirts at weddings, church or funerals, testimonial dinners, fancy restaurants and other such formal occasions.

This keeps being thrown around but I'd love to see photo evidence of this on gala/elegant/formal nights on other lines.

It's way to throw things against a wall but they don't always jive with reality.

No worries,next cruise I'll email you some pics. It will be like shooting fish in a barrel

I think HAL should change the name from "Gala Night" to something else or drop it altogether. They are trying to please those who still want to wear formal attire while at the same time trying to please those who prefer more casual attire.

It's a completely different experience dining in formal or cocktail attire with others similarly dressed vs. having others at your table in casual pants and shirts/blouses.

I agree with one of the posters above who said it was poor marketing on HAL's part.

Yes. With mandatory Champagne and fresh flowers for the ladies. Also, chocolates in the boudoir.

This is what "getting with the 21st century" is all about. You're free to disagree, but when you hear the lightly padded footsteps sneaking up on you, all Ninja-style, don't say you weren't warned.

uploadfromtaptalk1439320053224.jpg.69a1a3fa94b6fe69ed61ab879ab35ce4.jpg

Dinner for us is in PG every night usually in a quiet corner booth. Occasionally we have met a solo traveler that we invite to join us, but usually it's just us.

I really don't care if someone else is wearing a thong and a couple of pieces of electrical tape at another table. Would we engage them in conversation- likely not, I'd still enjoy my dinner though. As long as the people around us don't smell really bad (including gallons of fragrance) I'm fine.

Personally, I wear a jacket and tie to dinner in the PG. It's really the only chance I have to wear them as I work virtually and am not going to dress up for the cat. We live in the country so everything is very casual.

I think that the reality of this will less of an impact than people think. Most people (not all, but most) want to fit in & will do a little research to see what appropriate dress will be.

Unless HAL starts doing 5 day cruises out of North American ports on a regular basis, I don't think that football jerseys & trucker hats will become a regular thing.

When our friends took us to the nice restaurant in Newport, I did some internet research ahead of time, so that no one was embarrassed, my original thought was for him to wear the suit that he'd bought for one of our daughter's weddings, would have been completely out of place, as we definitely did not have that suit hand made. :)

Anyway, point is, most people have common courtesy & the survival sense to try & fit in, so while I do think there will be less & less tuxes, & more sport coats with no tie, I don't think that it's going to be all out anarchy with bathrobes, tank tops & jorts. Have a little faith in people. :)

Thanks.

You're welcome. Who knew that the main objection was going to be "It's misleading." "The numbers don't matter." Although iancal didn’t show his work.... ;)

Where's Hank Litner on this? Celebrity looks really good in the data. :D

LOL, Am lurking with much interest. So, here is our take on the subject. Passenger to Crew ratios do matter, but they are just one factor. At the risk of sounding boastful, DW and I have been on more then 60 different ships of 14 cruise lines. And honestly, all have delivered pretty darn good service. As to HAL, we have generally had excellent service on all of our cruises.....but we would not say HAL gives better service then we get on Celebrity or Princess (the 2 lines we like to compare to HAL).

We think the quality of service on most ships is more a matter of crew morale then the actual numbers. Whenever we have been on what some would call a "happy ship" it seems that the crew works harder. And a happy crew can be fun for all. We have also been on ships that seemed to have major crew morale issues (one cruise on the Rotterdam comes to mind) and this translated to many service lapses. What makes a Happy Ship? One Senior HAL Officer told us (over a few drinks) that it is a matter of good onboard management and a lot of luck. But sometimes a crew comes together like magic and all the passengers can feel the atmosphere. This was the case on our 3 Prinsendam Cruises (sometimes quietly called the "Prisondam" by some crew) where the crew interacted like a family.

Hank

LOL, Am lurking with much interest.

I figured you'd be pleased. My former business partner loved Celebrity. So does our long time TA. The numbers don't lie (with the exception of certain people, who don't think that the numbers matter.)

I think HAL should change the name from "Gala Night" to something else or drop it altogether. They are trying to please those who still want to wear formal attire while at the same time trying to please those who prefer more casual attire.

And they've done it in a way to aggravate the greatest number of people; the first group who wish to do away with formal night altogether can puzzle over the word "preferred" and a second group who don't want to see a change.

There's a third group of unhappy folk as well, but this third group is comprised entirely of people from the first and second group; those who are deeply offended by corporate doublespeak that wants to look like it says one thing but actually says something else.

I don't have a horse in this race myself; my first HAL trip is still upcoming this November, and in October the luggage service is picking up the big suitcase with the two tuxedos in it for delivery to the cabin.

Q: What does a gentleman wearing a dinner jacket say to a couple when the man is wearing shorts, flip flops and an oversized T, while the woman is wearing a polyester halter top, leopard-print hot pants and crocs?

A: "How do you do." "How do you do."

Because a gentleman (or a lady) never notices what other people are wearing.

LOL, Am lurking with much interest. So, here is our take on the subject. Passenger to Crew ratios do matter, but they are just one factor. At the risk of sounding boastful, DW and I have been on more then 60 different ships of 14 cruise lines. And honestly, all have delivered pretty darn good service. As to HAL, we have generally had excellent service on all of our cruises.....but we would not say HAL gives better service then we get on Celebrity or Princess (the 2 lines we like to compare to HAL).

We think the quality of service on most ships is more a matter of crew morale then the actual numbers. Whenever we have been on what some would call a "happy ship" it seems that the crew works harder. And a happy crew can be fun for all. We have also been on ships that seemed to have major crew morale issues (one cruise on the Rotterdam comes to mind) and this translated to many service lapses. What makes a Happy Ship? One Senior HAL Officer told us (over a few drinks) that it is a matter of good onboard management and a lot of luck. But sometimes a crew comes together like magic and all the passengers can feel the atmosphere. This was the case on our 3 Prinsendam Cruises (sometimes quietly called the "Prisondam" by some crew) where the crew interacted like a family.

Hank

In addition to your comments and the very helpful data in POA's chart, I do consider reports of actual more recent experience especially by those who sail often and with various/more cruise lines. Recognizing all experience reports are subjective, I find it helpful when cruisers like LAFFNVEGAS post information about some talks with ship Hotel Directors, feedback from clients, and their own personal experience.

Because a gentleman (or a lady) never notices what other people are wearing.

Gentlemen are not necessarily blind and DO notice. The true measure of a gentleman is to notice but remain calm and not pass immediate judgement. ;)

Edited by taxmantoo

We just booked another cruise on HAL, and after the reservationist told me that I knew so much I should consider working for them, she said she had information that I may not know.

I was told that effective immediately, no jackets or ties are required in the dining room on "formal nights" which are now optional. HAL will only require collared shirts and pants. I told her good because we were no longer bringing formal wear.

I asked if this was something that would be effective in the future such as January 2016, and she said no, it would be an immediate change and company wide.

When I stated that I had not heard anything, I was told that they were just advised of the change yesterday.

Well I for one welcome this change.

Wow. 19 pages on this topic. Incredible. That being said, there was a single guy in faded jeans, a wrinkled t-shirt and white tennis shoes that ate at the table next to us one gala night on our cruise last February on the Zuiderdam. He looked terrible.

No numbers, just experience.

Our Oct. Med cruise on RCI was perfect. Wonderful service, especially in MDR.

Our Feb. Australia/NZ RCI cruise was the exact opposite. MDR was a disorganized mess. DW never complains but a M'D did ask to meet with her. They arranged a time and he did not bother showing up (the first time).

Same cruise line, probably the same staff ratios. Completely different standard of service.

We also had an early Feb. Fiji cruise on Sun Princess. The service was fantastic, as was the food. Just as good service as our one and only Crystal cruise. I would assume that the ratios between Sun Princess and Crystal Symphony are a little different. Steward service was equally as good on both.

I am not in any way saying that the MDR, or other services on HAL are bad. What I am saying is they are inconsistent notwithstanding a certain degree of consistency between staff/passenger ratios within their fleet. Service can be wonderful and it can be mediocre at best. No different than other mass market cruise lines that we cruise.

Wow. 19 pages on this topic. Incredible. That being said, there was a single guy in faded jeans, a wrinkled t-shirt and white tennis shoes that ate at the table next to us one gala night on our cruise last February on the Zuiderdam. He looked terrible.

HAHA! Very funny. So you're saying if HAL makes everyone conform to the new rules, the dress will be more formal. PERFECT!

Shoes are neither appropriate nor required, so I suppose wearing tennis shoes could be considered over-dressed in future! :D

Shoes are neither appropriate nor required, so I suppose wearing tennis shoes could be considered over-dressed in future! :D

I hate to harsh your mellow, but there are probably some women who would care to argue about shoes. :eek: