HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

But they aren't. They are sitting in the middle. I don't want to wear formal when I'll be in a mix with people that aren't. I find that uncomfortable because it's likely going to lead to questions about why I'm so dressed up. I'm speaking for myself only, no one needs to say I don't need to feel that way. If I wear casual, again that will lead to more uncomfortable discussions.

Cruz Chic, I have never been seated at a table and had anyone comment on what I am wearing nor has anyone commented on what anyone is wearing. Conversation is usually about what we did during the day, what we will be doing tomorrow etc.

Wow. 19 pages on this topic. Incredible. That being said, there was a single guy in faded jeans, a wrinkled t-shirt and white tennis shoes that ate at the table next to us one gala night on our cruise last February on the Zuiderdam. He looked terrible.

Sorry but... Without video or pictures of this person, you will not be believed on these boards. You 'll just get the old line

"Well I've Never Seen It"

Edited by Wakepatrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruz chic View Post

But they aren't. They are sitting in the middle. I don't want to wear formal when I'll be in a mix with people that aren't. I find that uncomfortable because it's likely going to lead to questions about why I'm so dressed up. I'm speaking for myself only, no one needs to say I don't need to feel that way. If I wear casual, again that will lead to more uncomfortable discussions.

Cruz Chic, I have never been seated at a table and had anyone comment on what I am wearing nor has anyone commented on what anyone is wearing. Conversation is usually about what we did during the day, what we will be doing tomorrow etc.

I've never had anyone ask, but if they ever do I'm ready.

Q: "Why are you dressed that way?"

A: "Oh, do you have any recommendations on what to see in tomorrow's port? I'd love to hear what you have to say."

I hate to harsh your mellow, but there are probably some women who would care to argue about shoes. :eek:

Starting with my DIL!

I followed a car yesterday with a personalized plate: LIVE4SHUZ.

I'm mellow as long as I'm not footing (heehee) the bill. :)

An "Encino Man" reference on the HAL board - outstanding!

Thanks for noticing. Here on the HAL board, we aim for depth.

Next up: The Dude abides.

Edited by POA1

Perhaps we should give Holland America a break.

They don't really care what you wear to dinner on Gala Night or any other night. They simply are trying to make a profit and are trying to find a way to please the greatest number of people. The individuals at either extreme (a "truly formal dress code that is strictly enforced" vs. "I'll wear anything I please") are both somewhat guilty of the "it's all about me and what I want" syndrome. I suspect most cruisers are somewhere in the middle. They just want to relax and enjoy a nice dinner and don't really care what others wear.

HAL seems to have concluded that focusing on either extreme is not the most profitable approach. So they are shooting for a middle ground that provides an opportunity for people to dress up without requiring that everybody do so. They are also asking for a little cooperation from the other crowd as well- long pants, collared shirt, etc. This all seems reasonable to me.

I'm on a 50 day cruise this fall and I doubt there will be a big change in the way people dress. We will continue to dress up because we like it. I really don't care what others wear. I hope the new policy will make people more tolerant/open minded about diversity of clothing choices.

hmm - per the HAL website (under assets): "Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts."

Not a longtime HAL cruiser, but is that a "change" in dress policy? Or just a reminder that if one does NOT wish to dress for dinner that the Lido deck will accommodate dressing down?

I suppose the question is, would the Maitre D turn a gentleman away who is not wearing a tie...? I'm reading this as they would NOT as long as he had a collared shirt and long pants.

On less formal (eg, Carnival) lines, I often wear a silk Aloha shirt and long pants on formal nights.

I will note that most folks will take any sort of relaxation of a standard (dress, decorum, etc.) and drag that a notch down; having been seated next to men wearing dirty tank tops, with rubber sandals, who allegedly were "cruise casual" in the MDR, I am all for standards.

There's other lines that are more casual, as mentioned, and HAL doesn't necessarily need to be one of them, does it?

Edited by SurferJoe57

Not a longtime HAL cruiser, but is that a "change" in dress policy? Or just a reminder that if one does NOT wish to dress for dinner that the Lido deck will accommodate dressing down?

I suppose the question is, would the Maitre D turn a gentleman away who is not wearing a tie...? I'm reading this as they would NOT as long as he had a collared shirt and long pants.

On less formal (eg, Carnival) lines, I often wear a silk Aloha shirt and long pants on formal nights.

That's how I read it, too.

It's a change in that jacket and tie used to be a requirement for the MDR, the Pinnacle Grill, and Tamarind on formal nights. Now, the requirement is a collared shirt and slacks. The new verbiage states that a jacket and tie are appropriate, though.

The new requirements don't mention sleeves, so this should meet them. :D

474c53986089ab2f5c2a9145f3fa19a2.jpg

Edited by POA1

Perhaps we should give Holland America a break.

They don't really care what you wear to dinner on Gala Night or any other night. They simply are trying to make a profit and are trying to find a way to please the greatest number of people. The individuals at either extreme (a "truly formal dress code that is strictly enforced" vs. "I'll wear anything I please") are both somewhat guilty of the "it's all about me and what I want" syndrome. I suspect most cruisers are somewhere in the middle. They just want to relax and enjoy a nice dinner and don't really care what others wear.

HAL seems to have concluded that focusing on either extreme is not the most profitable approach. So they are shooting for a middle ground that provides an opportunity for people to dress up without requiring that everybody do so. They are also asking for a little cooperation from the other crowd as well- long pants, collared shirt, etc. This all seems reasonable to me.

I'm on a 50 day cruise this fall and I doubt there will be a big change in the way people dress. We will continue to dress up because we like it. I really don't care what others wear. I hope the new policy will make people more tolerant/open minded about diversity of clothing choices.

Wow you said so well exactly what I was thinking. Great post.

It's a change in that jacket and tie used to be a requirement for the MDR, the Pinnacle Grill, and Tamarind on formal nights. Now, the requirement is a collared shirt and slacks. The new verbiage states that a jacket and tie are appropriate, though.

474c53986089ab2f5c2a9145f3fa19a2.jpg

LOL, you DO realise you just threw the cat in among the pigeons don't you? :D

LOL, you DO realise you just threw the cat in among the pigeons don't you? :D

I couldn't help it. I originally thought that the meets requirements, but is inappropriate was funny. But then I realized, "There's no mention of sleeves!" In mere moments of Google Image searching, I found sleeveless shirt guy with dress pants.

It's a Lanvin shirt and sold for $575, giving it the added bonus of satisfying the people who care about cost and brands. I call that a win-win-grin.

(snip)

So one could conceivably wear the tie like a headband and meet the criteria too... As with Nehru jackets and Mao uniforms (as acquired from a secondhand shop by a Chinese-American pop photographer 20+ years ago; he was admitted to the nicest places & treated as a dignitary). Both have collars.

Unfortunately, what's not addressed is formal wear from countries such as those in SE Asia and the Arab world, which include skirts and full-length robes... Not to mention kilts! What to do?

PS--I'm being playful, y'all! No need to get your panties in a twist.

And we should remember that when the Tuxedo was introduced, it was the semi-formal choice, formal being white tie and tails. Informal (i.e., casual) was a "lounge suit" - what we refer to as a suit and tie.

So in the glory days of transatlantic cruising, which formal nights are supposedly a recreation of, 1st class passengers wore formal, 2nd class wore semi-formal and others wore informal.

I really don't think our "traditionalists" want to return to those days...

And we should remember that when the Tuxedo was introduced, it was the semi-formal choice, formal being white tie and tails. Informal (i.e., casual) was a "lounge suit" - what we refer to as a suit and tie.

So in the glory days of transatlantic cruising, which formal nights are supposedly a recreation of, 1st class passengers wore formal, 2nd class wore semi-formal and others wore informal.

It was far more than that. Read some excerpts from a diary written on a cruise prior to WWI. Poor lady complained about having to change clothes five or six times a day. One outfit for breakfast. Second for strolling around the ship in the early morning. Third for lunch. Another outfit for after lunch. And, of course, a gown for dinner. I may have missed one or two but the process was definitely designed to make an ostentatious show of wealth. And, there was a photograph of a young woman using the exercise bike in the gym. A hat was required, of course.

Ah yes, the Dinner Jacket with shawl collar being essentially a variant of a smoking jacket, which is a nice way of saying "bathrobe."

Funny Carnival passengers often consider their stateroom supplied bathrobes as acceptable wear to move about the ship.

*Heavens*

Edited by SurferJoe57

I hate to harsh your mellow, but there are probably some women who would care to argue about shoes. :eek:

You're describing me..I'm a Shoe Diva & proud of it.. :D:D I'll still take my seven to eight pairs of shoes even if HAL cancels out Gala nights..

Completely understand what Cruz Chic is saying.. We had the opposite experience from you, in an elevator on HAL several years ago.. Have forgotten, when or on which ship.. We had been to a cocktail party & DH & I were in formal wear...A group of younger men & women boarded & were feeling no pain having had a few drinks.. One of the men made a disparaging remark about my DH's Tux only because they considered him to be over dressed that evening.. They asked him if he was a crew member in a sneering way..We were both shocked but laughed it off.. We could not think of a good comeback..:(

Edited by serendipity1499

Ah yes, the Dinner Jacket with shawl collar being essentially a variant of a smoking jacket, which is a nice way of saying "bathrobe."

Funny Carnival passengers often consider their stateroom supplied bathrobes as acceptable wear to move about the ship.

*Heavens*

We have cruised on many different cruise lines, mostly Celebrity, but a couple trips on Carnival. I don't understand why people on the HAL board constantly criticize Carnival. I sometimes think this criticism makes them feel like they are sailing on a much more luxurious cruise line. Actually, Carnival has nicer ships, better entertainment, comparable food, and a much more active clientele than HAL. I have no dog in this fight but the attitude of some is not positive

Aside from the fact that a shawl collar dinner jacket is way more formal than a bathrobe, it would make a terrible substitute. First, the dinner jacket lacks the absorbency of the robe. Secondly - and much more importantly - there'd be way too much breeze going on down below.

Aside from the fact that a shawl collar dinner jacket is way more formal than a bathrobe, it would make a terrible substitute. First, the dinner jacket lacks the absorbency of the robe. Secondly - and much more importantly - there'd be way too much breeze going on down below.

But aren't we assuming that the baseline of trousers would be included in the ensemble?

You're describing me..I'm a Shoe Diva & proud of it.. :D:D I'll still take my seven to eight pairs of shoes even if HAL cancels out Gala nights..

Completely understand what Cruz Chic is saying.. We had the opposite experience from you, in an elevator on HAL several years ago.. Have forgotten, when or on which ship.. We had been to a cocktail party & DH & I were in formal wear...A group of younger men & women boarded & were feeling no pain having had a few drinks.. One of the men made a disparaging remark about my DH's Tux only because they considered him to be over dressed that evening.. They asked him if he was a crew member in a sneering way..We were both shocked but laughed it off.. We could not think of a good comeback..:(

"Be glad I'm not, or I would have you keelhauled."

My ex-navy BIL wore his dress whites on a cruise with us. (Recent retiree at that point and the uniform still fit). Two young ladies ran up to him asked if they could take a picture with him and before he could say anything, they took the picture and left. They probably think they have a picture with the captain!

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder