HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

"Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change."

I find this interesting, as I have seen jacketless men turned away or given a "loaner" jacket. Can't remember how long ago that was, maybe 2 years ago. Didn't see if it happened this past winter because I was always facing away from the doorway.

It happened on the Nieuw Amsterdam last November and December. They were enforcing jacket, not tie, and handing out loaners.

I thought you were going soon. Any info will be great. My guess is the majority won't know about the change because they don't read the cruise docs.

I am confused by this thread. What exactly is the "change"? The word gala vs formal? The recommended and required dress is still the same. What am i missing ?

I am confused by this thread. What exactly is the "change"? The word gala vs formal? The recommended and required dress is still the same. What am i missing ?

The change in my mind is that Hal doesn't want to enforce anything so they do this. They have also dumbed down the food on gala night compared to what it used to be on formal.

Even though it no longer matters, HAL still states Jacket & tie are preferred on Gala aka Formal nights.. When someone states something is preferred, IMO it means they would like to see us follow those preferred guidelines..

Quote Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change. Unquote

I would guess that most HAL cruisers would wear a Jacket & tie in the Pinnacle on a formal night..

In the past, I've always worn a jacket and tie to the Pinnacle, whether or not it was formal night. When I say "it no longer matters", I'm addressing HAL's policy, not my personal choice in dress.

While I think that most HAL cruisers may wear jackets and ties in the short run, I think that it's simply a matter of time before the pendulum swings to the side of collared shirt and slacks. I'm not advocating the change, simply expressing my view on where I think it will go.

On our May cruise on the Volendam, it really did not matter in the least what the women were wearing. I saw on Formal night nice t shirt type of tops with capris on several women. What I did see was if a man had on a tie and no jacket that was totally fine but if no tie and no jacket they gave him a jacket to wear but the few I saw would take them off the minute they got to the table and place it on the back of the chair.

Given the recent change, on our next HAL cruise we will in all likelihood, reservations permitting, be dining in the Pinnacle or Tamarind on gala nights.

I will not be wearing a jacket or a tie. It will be just as we do now on those evenings on Celebrity, Princess, and RCI.

In the past, I've always worn a jacket and tie to the Pinnacle, whether or not it was formal night. When I say "it no longer matters", I'm addressing HAL's policy, not my personal choice in dress.

While I think that most HAL cruisers may wear jackets and ties in the short run, I think that it's simply a matter of time before the pendulum swings to the side of collared shirt and slacks. I'm not advocating the change, simply expressing my view on where I think it will go.

I agree with you. The same is already true on other lines' specialty restaurants, which are every bit as nice as the Pinnacle Grill. For quite a while they have not required a "Formal" dress code on nights when that is held in the MDR. Cruisers who sail with several lines will no doubt extrapolate their experience to HAL....

This is exactly what will happen, and probably sooner than later

Just back from Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam. There were 2 "gala" nights on this 7 day cruise. We had read in previous postings that "formal/gala" on Alaska cruises tended to be fairly loosely interpreted. We saw the whole gamut of attire. But, we were amazed to see how many people were wearing jeans, open collared shirts and very casual attire into the MDR on those nights. It didn't seem to matter what you threw on. Seems that either HAL should abandon its gala dress code or enforce it for places like the MDR. This half way stuff is confusing and the goal of creating a couple of nights with a little more special ambiance is totally lost. There are alternative venues after all, and the new gala definitions don't seem all that unreasonable.

Edited by Browser495

Just back from Alaska cruise on the Oosterdam. There were 2 "gala" nights on this 7 day cruise. We had read in previous postings that "formal/gala" on Alaska cruises tended to be fairly loosely interpreted. We saw the whole gamut of attire. But, we were amazed to see how many people were wearing jeans, open collared shirts and very casual attire into the MDR on those nights. It didn't seem to matter what you threw on. Seems that either HAL should abandon its gala dress code or enforce it for places like the MDR. This half way stuff is confusing and the goal of creating a couple of nights with a little more special ambiance is totally lost. There are alternative venues after all, and the new gala definitions don't seem all that unreasonable.

I agree. I've said that many times. Embrace it or end it. It's very simple.

Bottom line is HAL would like people to dress up for gala nights, but they are not enforcing it. Minimum for men is trousers and collared shirt. Jeans are supposedly not worn in MDR on gala nights, but based on your comments, I guess they already aren't enforcing that.

Since you're just back from a cruise, you probably don't want to read 20 pages of posts. But go back to page 21 and you can find where someone has pasted the new dress code info from HAL's FAQs.

As Cole Porter once wrote, Anything Goes. (or in this case, almost anything)

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Given the recent change, on our next HAL cruise we will in all likelihood, reservations permitting, be dining in the Pinnacle or Tamarind on gala nights.

I will not be wearing a jacket or a tie. It will be just as we do now on those evenings on Celebrity, Princess, and RCI.

Same here!!!! We travel to Europe every year for our vacation and the last thing we want is to bring quote formal wear in our suit cases for 2 mos. we travel business class on all of our points so we enjoy only on carry on bag! For us it is a blessing in disguise! I am happy! Tailord nice Tommy Bahama shirt, loafers, and linen pants are so much easier than draging a blazer and dress pants! Sorry!

Denise :)

I agree. I've said that many times. Embrace it or end it. It's very simple.

The problem with the old dress code was that people had to dress up in order to enter the MDR, the Pinnacle Grill, or Tamarind. You could never tell if people were dressed up because they wanted to be, or because they had to be. This new, more relaxed dress code will allow people to be even more judgmental than before. :D

b6fb5e73f8e7c40ce644c03a6152127f.jpg

It's the dawn of an exciting new era. Perhaps there will be fisticuffs! While casual clothes give you freedom of movement in a brawl, there are so many more places to stash weapons in a tuxedo.

Edited by POA1

The problem with the old dress code was that people had to dress up in order to enter the MDR, the Pinnacle Grill, or Tamarind. You could never tell if people were dressed up because they wanted to be, or because they had to be. This new, more relaxed dress code will allow people to be even more judgmental than before. :D

b6fb5e73f8e7c40ce644c03a6152127f.jpg

It's the dawn of an exciting new era. Perhaps there will be fisticuffs! While casual clothes give you freedom of movement in a brawl, there are so many more places to stash weapons in a tuxedo.

And NEVER underestimate the power of stiletto heels on the feet of skilled adversaries.

I view dress codes as minimums, not maximums. I hope that men who, like I do, feel comfortable wearing a jacket and tie - or even a tuxedo - will continue to do so.

Cunard dumbed down their dress code a few years back to require jackets, tie optional, on informal nights. (They don't do "casual nights".) I'm pleased to see that on average a third of men wear a tie with the jacket. However, no-one looks down their nose at those who do not.

I hope HAL is reading these posts. The point is if you aren't going to enforce a rule or a code, why have it? In that case, let everyone decide for themselves, although you probably do need to set a basic minimum so that things don't get really weird.

On our last cruise there were a significant number of individuals who were wearing jeans, t-shirts and sneakers/running shoes into the main dining room on "gala" nights. That's not even "nice casual".

We were on another cruise line that doesn't have any formal nights but their basic dress code was "nice casual" (this did not require a jacket or tie). That was very nice and people dressed accordingly, no one wearing or running shoes in the MDR or fancy restaurants, and anyone who wanted to could obviously get more dressed up.

HAL has obviously tried to accommodate its guests by easing its formal dress code to the new gala code, but made very little attempt to implement it, based on observation of how quite a few people came to the MDR in jeans (not fashionable/trendy type jeans either).

I hope HAL is reading these posts. The point is if you aren't going to enforce a rule or a code, why have it? In that case, let everyone decide for themselves, although you probably do need to set a basic minimum so that things don't get really weird.

On our last cruise there were a significant number of individuals who were wearing jeans, t-shirts and sneakers/running shoes into the main dining room on "gala" nights. That's not even "nice casual".

We were on another cruise line that doesn't have any formal nights but their basic dress code was "nice casual" (this did not require a jacket or tie). That was very nice and people dressed accordingly, no one wearing or running shoes in the MDR or fancy restaurants, and anyone who wanted to could obviously get more dressed up.

HAL has obviously tried to accommodate its guests by easing its formal dress code to the new gala code, but made very little attempt to implement it, based on observation of how quite a few people came to the MDR in jeans (not fashionable/trendy type jeans either).

Once your dress code is down to "collared shirt" and "long pants", you have told your customers that they should no longer expect anything resembling the ambience of a true formal night.

Gala night will now be like any other nice restaurant ashore....there will be 10-20pct coat and tie....a few with jeans and backwards hats....and the occasional tux...with people whispering (they look good)...

But when your expectation is long pants and a collared shirt ...your next step is the same as a 7/11...,shirts and shoes required...

Fine. I am still booking with HAL with my eyes open.....but I just put down a deposit on my first Cunard cruise for this reason.....not sure if I will like Cunard any better (lots more to cruising than formal night) but I would likely have never given them a shot for not this change.

However, I am sure I am in the minority.

Happy cruising!

The point is if you aren't going to enforce a rule or a code, why have it? In that case, let everyone decide for themselves, although you probably do need to set a basic minimum so that things don't get really weird.
It sounds like one problem is that HAL has set a basic minimum but isn't even enforcing that.

Like some others, I'm going to see what it's like on my next HAL cruise. If HAL is no longer right for me, I'll be off somewhere else. It'll be a shame, as we will have just both reached 3* on HAL, and I have mostly enjoyed being back on HAL over the last few years.

HAL is just providing more options; so that some people can vacation a bit more casually. Pants and a collared shirt is really not the end of the world but you would think differently reading some of these posts. No one is compelled to dress at this level if they don't wish to. Jacket and tie simply not required any more in the MDR. That's the only change. If you want to wear a jacket and tie, I don't see how this clarification of policy and slight easing of dress code impacts you at all. Wear a tie and jacket if it pleases you :confused:

You booked a cruise based on dress code???
That's not how I read it.

If what The-Inside-Cabin meant was choosing a cruise in part because the cruise line still has real formal nights, and enforces its specified dress code, that sounds entirely logical and rational to me.

You booked a cruise based on dress code???

No....

Cunard still advertises that they deliver the ambience of a true formal night....which is far more than a dress code. So that got me looking at their ships and itinerary and prices ....and I liked what I saw....so I thought I would give them a try on their signature cruise "The Crossing"

There is more to a cruise, than a dress code......

If you want to wear a jacket and tie, I don't see how this clarification of policy and slight easing of dress code impacts you at all.
I did once ask someone here whether a room full of people in jeans and T-shirts looks as good as a room full of people in dinner suits / tuxedoes and ball gowns.

I think they said yes.

I did once ask someone here whether a room full of people in jeans and T-shirts looks as good as a room full of people in dinner suits / tuxedoes and ball gowns.

I think they said yes.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion. I'm not really preoccupied with what looks better. Formal nights are gone from HAL. This puts them on my radar more than ever. Yes, I still know how to dress smartly. Yes, I MAY even put on a suit and tie if I choose to from time to time, but I did not like the aspect of being compelled to do so and now I won't be compelled. Those who choose to do so, I think that is 100% fine and they should do what pleases them.

Now if someone prefers and chooses a true formal ambiance, I likewise think that is fine, but HAL is pretty clearly saying "But that's not us." It's really no different than me preferring and choosing a line that will allow the same basic smart casual all evenings. It's not important to me if others dress smart casually, or if they go full formal. But I understand to some people it ruins the mood. At least the false pretenses are gone.

It's unfortunate that so many people are up in arms or very upset by this increase in options. The option may not be for YOU, but it is not being forced either. It remains an option.

NOW, if HAL did something TRULY special for a Gala/Formal night I might reconsider my stance. But since there's nothing different in the food or service, I'd prefer to be casual. They now embrace it. I embrace it. I'm not out to ruin anyone elses good time. But I'm there to have a good time too. They have a better chance of getting my money in the future.