HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

You're describing me..I'm a Shoe Diva & proud of it.. :D:D I'll still take my seven to eight pairs of shoes even if HAL cancels out Gala nights..

Completely understand what Cruz Chic is saying.. We had the opposite experience from you, in an elevator on HAL several years ago.. Have forgotten, when or on which ship.. We had been to a cocktail party & DH & I were in formal wear...A group of younger men & women boarded & were feeling no pain having had a few drinks.. One of the men made a disparaging remark about my DH's Tux only because they considered him to be over dressed that evening.. They asked him if he was a crew member in a sneering way..We were both shocked but laughed it off.. We could not think of a good comeback..:(

I am envious of you having a shoe collection. I have screws and plates in one ankle/leg - therefore cannot wear heels of any sort. I am short 5'2" and dress and flats/sandals look quite ordinary on me. I will stick to pants and dressy top. Nobody notices shoes in that situation.

Edited by Stratheden

What? Did they stipulate TROUSERS??

Not a bit. The trousers are reserved for women.

You'll be relieved to know that for men, it's "collared shirt and SLACKS" (no mention of those with jacket & tie, though). So the kilt (utility or tartan) is out.

The common denominator here--with the ban on shorts--is male knees being covered. Hmmm.

Edited by sofietucker

I am envious of you having a shoe collection. I have screws and plates in one ankle/leg - therefore cannot wear heels of any sort. I am short 5'2" and dress and flats/sandals look quite ordinary on me. I will stick to pants and dressy top. Nobody notices shoes in that situation.

Don't be envious.. I can no longer wear high heels, since I had a hip replacement.. The highest heel I can wear is just one inch, but I still love shoes & have lots of small heels, flats & sandals..I'm also quite short at just 5' 1", (I've lost 1/2 an inch) & DH used to be 6'2'' but also lost about a 1/2 inch..

When I was able to wear heels & we danced, it my nose to his chest.. Now with me in flats or small heels it's my nose to his belly button.. :) No problem after 39 years of marriage we've learned to adjust...LOL

Sorry if already posted.

For some reason it will not let me post the direct link to the "Is there a dress code" verbiage.

Just click on the "Is there a dress code?" link.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,+Packing+%26+Dress+Code&=WT.ac=pnav_NTC_WhattoBring#

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

Edited by clueless2

Sorry if already posted.

For some reason it will not let me post the direct link to the "Is there a dress code" verbiage.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Cruise+Preparation&contentMenu=Baggage,+Packing+%26+Dress+Code&=WT.ac=pnav_NTC_WhattoBring#

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Thanks for posting this. At least we have a better idea of what HAL is thinking now.

Sorry if already posted.

I think that pretty much explains the new requirements (or new disclosures of old requirements), thanks for posting it. Be interesting to see the impact it has.

Edited by KirkNC

... some refinements were made to improve consistency ....

HAL thinks this policy will "improve consistency"? We'll see.

The way I read it, the policy is much closer to "formal optional", which would hardly be "consistent", at least in terms of the level of dress. Now, if HAL means "consistency" in terms of what is allowed in the dining room, that's another matter (and still open to push back).

The change for us means that we will be able to go to the Pinnacle or Tamarind instead of the Lido on gala nights. A positive change from our perspective.

A good point. I originally wasn't going to take jacket and tie for our upcoming Canada/New England cruise, but when we received the Dine Around package, I thought I might have to in case our Pinnacle meal fell on a formal night. Now it no longer matters.

To me it most certainly improves consistency. Policy and real world application will be more consistent. No more wondering what a particular ship may or may not allow compared to another ship or different voyage.

The fact that the policy is written in plain-speak English is also refreshing and easy to understand.

Like I said earlier; this is HAL offering MORE options, not less, and that is good for all.

DH will take a tie but not a jacket.

I will take my usual sparkly sweater that I wear with long underwear underneath it (you cannot see the long underwear) because I am always freezing in the MDR. Finding dressy but warm clothing was always a nightmare! And no, a shawl or scarf does not help. :(

Edited by Viv0828

DH will take a tie but not a jacket.

I will take my usual sparkly sweater that I wear with long underwear underneath it (you cannot see the long underwear) because I am always freezing in the MDR. Finding dressy but warm clothing was always a nightmare! And no, a shawl or scarf does not help. :(

I do hope that's a long sweater if that's the only thing you are wearing with the long underwear! :eek:

"Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change."

I find this interesting, as I have seen jacketless men turned away or given a "loaner" jacket. Can't remember how long ago that was, maybe 2 years ago. Didn't see if it happened this past winter because I was always facing away from the doorway.

The way I read it, the policy is much closer to "formal optional", which would hardly be "consistent", at least in terms of the level of dress. Now, if HAL means "consistency" in terms of what is allowed in the dining room, that's another matter (and still open to push back).

I agree. For women, "dress, skirt, or slacks" is a very wide range. Now I'm trying to figure out how "gala" our attire will be for our upcoming cruise.

A good point. I originally wasn't going to take jacket and tie for our upcoming Canada/New England cruise, but when we received the Dine Around package, I thought I might have to in case our Pinnacle meal fell on a formal night. Now it no longer matters.

Even though it no longer matters, HAL still states Jacket & tie are preferred on Gala aka Formal nights.. When someone states something is preferred, IMO it means they would like to see us follow those preferred guidelines..

Quote Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change. Unquote

I would guess that most HAL cruisers would wear a Jacket & tie in the Pinnacle on a formal night..

Edited by serendipity1499