HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

I'm having a hard time believing people will pick Hal because they've changed their dress code. I can't believe some people might leave because of it.
Why is that so hard to believe?

There are plenty of potential passengers who don't want a "formal night" ambience on any night of the cruise, and who might well have thought that HAL looked attractive for other reasons but avoided HAL until it became "smart casual" every night.

And equally, there are plenty of HAL passengers who want to have a "formal night" experience as part of their cruise, and for whom other cruise lines will become more attractive if it is no longer available on HAL.

It's not as if any of us "belongs" to HAL in some sort of tribal fashion. It's one company out of many. And even those who have accrued some benefits from cruising on HAL many times know that they are relatively modest benefits, given that they're based on lifetime status which is not taken away once attained.

Why is that so hard to believe?

There are plenty of potential passengers who don't want a "formal night" ambience on any night of the cruise, and who might well have thought that HAL looked attractive for other reasons but avoided HAL until it became "smart casual" every night.

And equally, there are plenty of HAL passengers who want to have a "formal night" experience as part of their cruise, and for whom other cruise lines will become more attractive if it is no longer available on HAL.

It's not as if any of us "belongs" to HAL in some sort of tribal fashion. It's one company out of many. And even those who have accrued some benefits from cruising on HAL many times know that they are relatively modest benefits, given that they're based on lifetime status which is not taken away once attained.

I guess I missed the latest change in dress code. When did it change to smart casual every night? This is the change I was looking for. I guess they didn't update their policy because it still is showing gala nights where Hal says dressy attire is appropriate. Do you have a copy of the updated policy? Thx.

Edited by cruz chic

I guess I missed the latest change in dress code. When did it change to smart casual every night? This is the change I was looking for. I guess they didn't update their policy because it still is showing gala nights where Hal says dressy attire is appropriate. Do you have a copy of the updated policy? Thx.

Now we're getting back to the "appropriate" vs "required" debate.

HAL may not be calling it "smart casual," but to make slacks and collared shirt for men the "required" level of dress sounds like smart casual (or some kind of casual) to me. I guess they expect women to dress at a comparable level to what they're requiring for men, but they haven't specified a minimum for women. They subtext of all of this is that HAL would like people to dress up for gala nights, but they aren't going to enforce it. So whether they come out and say it or not, they're defaulting to some kind of casual.

Here and on the Jeans in the MDR thread, I'm seeing some posts about people not even meeting the currently stated minimum. Cut-off jeans shorts, yoga pants and tank top, etc. And I'm not sure if those observations were before or after the new code was announced. So HAL is giving up. Most people will probably do the minimum, maybe better on gala nights. But if people don't want to meet the minimum, that won't matter.

Now that I think more about the change in dress code, I wonder if part of the reason came from staff? Are maître d's complaining to their bosses that they're tired of playing fashion police? Are they tired of the reactions/arguments they get from passengers who are turned away?

We sail in a week, and I've been vascillating about what to pack.

I thought about bringing the tux and a gown, just to show HAL that we will dress up if we want to (as some posters have suggested). But then what will we do after dinner? Sit in one of the bars or go to the show? Have to answer questions from passengers? (Is it someone's birthday? Is it your anniversary? Didn't you hear that HAL doesn't do formal nights any more?) I love being dressed up, but I don't want to feel like the opposite of George Goebel. He was a comedian who used to say he felt like the whole world was full of tuxedos and he was a pair of brown shoes. I don't want to be a tuxedo (gown in my case) in a world of brown shoes--or more likely sneakers.

On recent HAL cruises, DH has taken a suit and I've packed a simple gown. (We save the tux and silk beaded stuff for Cunard) This time we've decided DH will take a sport coat--he has a couple silk-linen jackets that have a very short season, so it would be nice to wear one of them. I'll take one LBD and various jewelry. It is not like me to go with just one dress, but the dumbed-down dress code is making me feel lazy.

To be honest, the main reason for the sport coat (and tie, of course) is is that we'll have a dinner in Pinnacle, and that seems "worthy" of a bit of an effort, even if it isn't a gala night. And if we're taking the nice clothes for Pinnacle, we might as well wear them for gala nights in the MDR.

I'll try to be observant in the MDR and I will report back when we get home. If our table doesn't have a good view, I will excuse myself to go to the Ladies' and take the long way around to snoop!

Hi y'all, Redneck Bob here;

WOW ! I just can't understand what the fuss is about what people wear to the MDR and formal nights; almost 600 posts to date. I dont care but it is very entertaining.

What I look forward too on a cruise is traveling to erotic destinations in the South Pacific or Caribbean. Certainly this topic would never be discussed on one of those HAL chartered Nude Cruises ! Wait for it, here it comes;

Formal wear on "GALA Night" would be "bare-ly" discussed on a nude cruise.

In lieu of "As You Wish Dining" it would be "Clothing Optional Dining"

WOW ! I just can't understand what the fuss is about what people wear to the MDR and formal nights; almost 600 posts to date. I dont care but it is very entertaining.

What I look forward too on a cruise is traveling to erotic destinations in the South Pacific or Caribbean. Certainly this topic would never be discussed on one of those HAL chartered Nude Cruises ! Wait for it, here it comes;

With Gala, it's surely gotta be fancier jewelry & shoes, updos, etc., for the gals. And--never having been, I can't say for sure--but for the guys, I'd imagine those French cuffs, collars & bow ties, like the bunnies used to wear...

Just curious'; just which ports in the South Pacific and/or Caribbean do you consider "erotic"?

laughter.gif

Now we're getting back to the "appropriate" vs "required" debate.

HAL may not be calling it "smart casual," but to make slacks and collared shirt for men the "required" level of dress sounds like smart casual (or some kind of casual) to me. I guess they expect women to dress at a comparable level to what they're requiring for men, but they haven't specified a minimum for women. They subtext of all of this is that HAL would like people to dress up for gala nights, but they aren't going to enforce it. So whether they come out and say it or not, they're defaulting to some kind of casual.

Here and on the Jeans in the MDR thread, I'm seeing some posts about people not even meeting the currently stated minimum. Cut-off jeans shorts, yoga pants and tank top, etc. And I'm not sure if those observations were before or after the new code was announced. So HAL is giving up. Most people will probably do the minimum, maybe better on gala nights. But if people don't want to meet the minimum, that won't matter.

Now that I think more about the change in dress code, I wonder if part of the reason came from staff? Are maître d's complaining to their bosses that they're tired of playing fashion police? Are they tired of the reactions/arguments they get from passengers who are turned away?

We sail in a week, and I've been vascillating about what to pack.

I thought about bringing the tux and a gown, just to show HAL that we will dress up if we want to (as some posters have suggested). But then what will we do after dinner? Sit in one of the bars or go to the show? Have to answer questions from passengers? (Is it someone's birthday? Is it your anniversary? Didn't you hear that HAL doesn't do formal nights any more?) I love being dressed up, but I don't want to feel like the opposite of George Goebel. He was a comedian who used to say he felt like the whole world was full of tuxedos and he was a pair of brown shoes. I don't want to be a tuxedo (gown in my case) in a world of brown shoes--or more likely sneakers.

On recent HAL cruises, DH has taken a suit and I've packed a simple gown. (We save the tux and silk beaded stuff for Cunard) This time we've decided DH will take a sport coat--he has a couple silk-linen jackets that have a very short season, so it would be nice to wear one of them. I'll take one LBD and various jewelry. It is not like me to go with just one dress, but the dumbed-down dress code is making me feel lazy.

To be honest, the main reason for the sport coat (and tie, of course) is is that we'll have a dinner in Pinnacle, and that seems "worthy" of a bit of an effort, even if it isn't a gala night. And if we're taking the nice clothes for Pinnacle, we might as well wear them for gala nights in the MDR.

I'll try to be observant in the MDR and I will report back when we get home. If our table doesn't have a good view, I will excuse myself to go to the Ladies' and take the long way around to snoop!

Yes, I totally understand and agree with what you are saying but until Hal comes out with a smart casual dress code it's not correct to say they have one. I'm like you, I'm at a loss as what to pack. No one needs to go into attack mode if they don't agree with me (not speaking of you).

Cute. Seems it's a conversation being held on other cruise lines as well. For example, Celebrity has a sticky on this subject with about 1500 posts!

Cute. Seems it's a conversation being held on other cruise lines as well. For example, Celebrity has a sticky on this subject with about 1500 posts!

Maybe it's time to make a single thread for all dress code discussions, much like the one for smoking policy. The anti-sticky crowd on the HAL board have convinced me that suggesting a sticky would not be wise! :)

From what I've heard, barely any first hand experience, clothing is required on nude cruises in all venues where food is served. Depending upon the cruise line, they do observe formal/gala/dress up nights in the MDR.

I'm like you, I'm at a loss as what to pack. No one needs to go into attack mode if they don't agree with me (not speaking of you).

Not in attack mode. We aren't at a loss for what to wear on Gala nights; DH will have his tux and I will have my sparklies and we will stay that way all evening. If anyone asks, we will simply tell them it is Gala night and this is how we dress for it. For the other evenings, DH will wear a shirt and slacks (sometimes topped with a sport coat), and I will have either a nice blouse/slacks combo or a dress to wear for the night. That's the way we roll.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Not in attack mode. We aren't at a loss for what to wear on Gala nights; DH will have his tux and I will have my sparklies and we will stay that way all evening. If anyone asks, we will simply tell them it is Gala night and this is how we dress for it. For the other evenings, DH will wear a shirt and slacks (sometimes topped with a sport coat), and I will have either a nice blouse/slacks combo or a dress to wear for the night. That's the way we roll.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Sounds good!

Full disclosure. I used to really love formal nights bringing a tux for formal night and a suit for when there were semiformal nights. I don't anymore and haven't in years. I don't sail Cunard because of it. I am happy with the change.

I saw the handwriting on the wall last fall when we did a transatlantic on the Noordam. We had planned to not bring formal attire and just eat in the Lido, Canaletto, or just discreetly try to eat in the MDR with black dress shirts/ties/slacks. Shortly before the cruise we went with a Neptune. Because of this, I told DH we need to bring suits as there may be functions that truly warrant it (ultimately there were not). We were expecting four formal nights which was changed at the last minute to three. What stunned us was the lack of people in the MDR on formal night. Yes there were people in the dining room but if it was half full that was alot; and a good number of those were barely meeting the formal dress code. Guess what, the passengers voted with their feet, the Lido was packed....every formal night. I said to DH that if this is happening on a transatlantic with a clientel that skews older and more traditional, even for HAL, formal night is on its last wheeze.

But to those who want to dress with suits, gowns, tuxes, cocktail dresses, etc. I would not let this change in the dress code inhibit me from dressing in such a manner. It is your vacation too and if you like that....go with it and enjoy!

Just curious'; just which ports in the South Pacific and/or Caribbean do you consider "erotic"?

laughter.gif

I guess mispelling the word and using a "r" instead of an "x" makes a huge difference. But since you asked which port in the South Pacific and Caribbean are erotic, hear goes;

St Lucia with it's "steamy" volcano

St Maarten with it's "fleshy" and "obscene" Orient Beach

Granada with it's "spicey" women

Bora Bora with it's "seductive" mountainous backdrop

Moorea with it's "rousing" snorkeling

From what I've heard, barely any first hand experience, clothing is required on nude cruises in all venues where food is served. Depending upon the cruise line, they do observe formal/gala/dress up nights in the MDR.

Well, I be dogged !

I thought the napkins would be placed on the seat and not in your lap :eek: !

Full disclosure. I used to really love formal nights bringing a tux for formal night and a suit for when there were semiformal nights. I don't anymore and haven't in years. I don't sail Cunard because of it. I am happy with the change.

I saw the handwriting on the wall last fall when we did a transatlantic on the Noordam. We had planned to not bring formal attire and just eat in the Lido, Canaletto, or just discreetly try to eat in the MDR with black dress shirts/ties/slacks. Shortly before the cruise we went with a Neptune. Because of this, I told DH we need to bring suits as there may be functions that truly warrant it (ultimately there were not). We were expecting four formal nights which was changed at the last minute to three. What stunned us was the lack of people in the MDR on formal night. Yes there were people in the dining room but if it was half full that was alot; and a good number of those were barely meeting the formal dress code. Guess what, the passengers voted with their feet, the Lido was packed....every formal night. I said to DH that if this is happening on a transatlantic with a clientel that skews older and more traditional, even for HAL, formal night is on its last wheeze.

But to those who want to dress with suits, gowns, tuxes, cocktail dresses, etc. I would not let this change in the dress code inhibit me from dressing in such a manner. It is your vacation too and if you like that....go with it and enjoy!

That's odd about the dining room. I do open and every cruise I've been on is packed on formal night. I'm not making this up. I've stated it many times. Perhaps it's different on a transatlantic. I've heard that those cruise are often quite a deal so maybe that played into it.

Edited by cruz chic