What little extras do you take on your cruise

Thanks everyone for all these tips, some I would have taken anyway but others I wouldn't have thought of - and won't take up much space either. As always, CC members come up trumps!

We have a balcony cabin - do we therefore have tea/coffee making facilities? If yes, what is provided with it?

Depending on the cruise line and particular ship, much of the above stuff may be totally unnecessary. For example, Oceania Riviera cabins have glass door showers, night lights, alarm clocks, LED reading lights, plenty of hangers, always replenished bottled water, Bulgari toiletries, robes, slippers, fridge stocked with your choice of soft drinks/mixers, paper, pens, high thread count linens, etc.

I do agree that a small kit of OTC meds et al. is important. However, no need for duct tape - just ask for some. Of course, a better solution to tape repairs would be gaffer tape, which leaves no residue.

Hmmmm - that can't be for any NCL ship, since the shower curtains on their ships are glass doors....? ;)

We have had cabins on both the Sun and the Star that have shower curtains.

Our second cruise on the Sun I brought clothes pins specifically for weighting down the shower curtain so it wouldn't bother my chunk hubby.

Large heavy duty binder clips - good for keeping your towel in place on a lounger or attaching wet swimsuits to furniture on the balcony to dry.

Febreeze Air Effects (for bathroom)

Shampoo and Conditioner

Body wash and bath puff

IPad

If we're in a suite, I take DVD's I want to watch. Usually some series such as Downton Abbey or Bates Motel - whatever I didn't catch when it was on TV.

Depending on the cruise line and particular ship, much of the above stuff may be totally unnecessary. For example, Oceania Riviera cabins have glass door showers, night lights, alarm clocks, LED reading lights, plenty of hangers, always replenished bottled water, Bulgari toiletries, robes, slippers, fridge stocked with your choice of soft drinks/mixers, paper, pens, high thread count linens, etc.

I do agree that a small kit of OTC meds et al. is important. However, no need for duct tape - just ask for some. Of course, a better solution to tape repairs would be gaffer tape, which leaves no residue.

Since this thread was posted in NCL forum, what Oceania provides is not pertinent.

Also, some of those amenities are not in Oceania's cheaper cabins.

In addition to many of the other items mentioned, we always bring a clock we can see from the bed and in the dark. It is also our white noise machine which drowns out hall noise and slamming cabin doors. Some folks have reported that clocks that plug in do not keep time well. We have been on many NCL ships and we have never had this happen. Ours keeps time just fine.

The others I totally agree with and which one may not always think of are:

-Downey wrinkle release (you can't bring an iron on board and although you can get one from the stewards, wrinkle release works great).

-Power strip because there is only one plug outlet by the desk

-Highlighter for the Daily

-First aid and over the counter drugs for what ails us

Edited by drvalo

In addition to my regular"vacation" packing (all meds, first aid items including items for sunburn, toiletries, etc.) I bring the following on cruises:

Magnet clips-3...for hanging dailies, notes and to clip the curtain fully closed when the light sneaks through!

Glow bracelets....these actually stay in my luggage for parties/ parades on vacay AND I crack one at night, lay it on the floor or threshold to bathroom and voila! Instant nightlight without lighting the room. (No stubbed toes in tiny cabins)

Clorox wipes, mini travel Lysol spray, air freshener tin, 2 dryer sheets to keep closets fresh, downy wrinkle release is a must!, few extra hangers

Power strip(also stays in luggage for any destination)

Travel mug/cups

Ziploc bags of all sizes

Extra "fake credit card" for the lights so I don't have to use cabin key

"Water box" to take in my bag on excursions or at pool-even if my bag gets soaked, my phone, filmed, etc are dry....it floats too.

Glasses strap to keep them on my face on excursions

Powerade or Gatorade type electrolyte powder packs, just a few for any tummy issues, hangovers-lol

Flavored coffee powder...international coffee to add to the often unappealing coffee on our cruises or certain resorts.....stir some into hot water or half cup java and I have a mocha!

Also have print outs and photos in my phone of cruise info, emergency #s, consulate contact info and insurance (health and travel) info handy.

It all takes up little space:)

I bring a small solar / windup am /fm /wb Radio. ( from LL Bean )

It has a light too!

And it can be used to charge a cell phone in a pinch. :D

I love listening to local radio throughout the islands.

Even if I don't know the language, I can still enjoy the music :):)

What a terrific idea. We have something like that and I'm going to pack it the next time we cruise.

Paperwhite Kindle loaded with good books!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRXEP6Im9rlC6jrVygT4j7tjQVnr33Dw3OAXqh4_Y1Filx_rOQyg

This librarian goes just about nowhere without hers:D

For travel I have a Belkin Mini to use for charging & extra outlets, a magnetic "locker mate" with pouches for S&S cards, pens etc,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331621280611?lpid=82&chn=ps

Small bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release

I always have a small sewing kit, tide to go stain remover, small flashlight & a retractable tape measure.

We have had cabins on both the Sun and the Star that have shower curtains.

Our second cruise on the Sun I brought clothes pins specifically for weighting down the shower curtain so it wouldn't bother my chunk hubby.

Sorry - you are of course right. I have been on a few cruises since our last cruise on the Sun, and I didn't remember the clinging shower curtain. But I just took a look at the photos I made from our cabin on the Sun, and there it was. Since I will be doing a longer cruise on the Sun next year, I am very happy that you corrected me. Because I "hate" clinging shower curtains....! We were on the Star a couple of months ago, and there we had a sliding glass door - but we had a mini suite with a bathtub, so maybe that is the reason why it was different...?

. . .

We don't bother with multi-plug extension cords and such. They are too huge and bulky. Most of what we need to plug in are things we need to charge via USB (phones, ipad, camera, fitbits, etc), so we bring this:

31XkaeKYVFL._SY300_.jpg

. . .

How cool is that!! Thank you. We just ordered one.

Glow bracelets....these actually stay in my luggage for parties/ parades on vacay AND I crack one at night, lay it on the floor or threshold to bathroom and voila! Instant nightlight without lighting the room. (No stubbed toes in tiny cabins)

Great idea! :)

-Downey wrinkle release (you can't bring an iron on board and although you can get one from the stewards, wrinkle release works great).

We're from UK and don't think I can get it here but hoping to be in a Walmart before going on ship - does Walmart sell it? Sounds like an ideal cruise companion!

We're from UK and don't think I can get it here but hoping to be in a Walmart before going on ship - does Walmart sell it? Sounds like an ideal cruise companion!

Look on the site which sounds like Hammer Son UK they sell it

Ziplock bags to keep things dry and safe during beach trips.

Pop up hamper is a necessity for use being a family with a teen age daughter.

When its full I dump all the stuff in a empty suitcase to go home back to reality.

My DH brings a cheap watch and wallet.....think it was a$ 19.95 cruise special combo. He is so afraid we will get robbed that the beach...its never happened but its just better to humor him.

I always bring ziploc baggies. Store all my liquids, shampoo/conditioner, lotion, etc. in them, and bring a few extra.

Also, I make sure to bring some really nice shampoo and conditioner if I'm going to be anywhere for a while. If I use whatever I find in hotel bathrooms (or in this case, the cruise bathroom), my hair usually gets damaged, so I bring extra conditioning treatments. I'm staying in a suite, so I think the amenities are a little nicer, but I'll still bring my Redken and Pureology :)

I'm also bringing binoculars, lysol wipes, highlighters and SUNGLASSES. Last time I went on a trip I forgot my sunglasses...I felt very stupid, and ended up buying an overpriced pair at the airport lol