NO change in dress code

FLsealegs

I just talked to my personal cruise consultant. Unfortunately, there has NOT been any change in the dress code on formal/gala nights. Jackets and ties are still required for men.

Edited by FLsealegs
should be code, not colde

Your PCC is wrong.

Call back and read HAL's website where it says they no longer are.

There are multiple posts per week about misinformation given by PCCs. It's really sad.

Edited by sppunk

Your PCC is wrong.

There are multiple posts per week about misinformation given by PCCs. It's really sad.

Ship Services and/or Guest Relations that have direct contacts ONBOARD THE SHIPS will likely be the best departments that can help clear this up once and for all

Your PCC is wrong.

Please let me know where I can find this information, because so far all I have found is that there Smart Casual and Gala Nights. Gala nights require men to wear jacket, tie. More formal wear is required on Grand Voyages.

Ship Services and/or Guest Relations that have direct contacts ONBOARD THE SHIPS will likely be the best departments that can help clear this up once and for all

The assets section on the web site is THE authority:

" per the HAL website (under assets): "Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts."

Do we REALLY need ANOTHER "dress code" thread???

the assets section on the web site is the authority:

" per the hal website (under assets): "gala nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five course gourmet dinner in the dining room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on lido deck which permit jeans, shorts and t-shirts."

do we really need another "dress code" thread???

no!

" per the HAL website (under assets): "Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts."

no!

It is not mandatory to read threads. Why not skip by? Hit the red triangle if you think the thread is inappropriate and let's the moderator decide if it should be closed or combined.

Edited by cruz chic

Please let me know where I can find this information, because so far all I have found is that there Smart Casual and Gala Nights. Gala nights require men to wear jacket, tie. More formal wear is required on Grand Voyages.

There appears to be conflicting information on the HAL website. If you go to Booked Guest on the top right and then to Frequently Asked Questions the Dress Code section says what you found about Gala night and it also talks about Ladies dress code. On the same frequently asked question page on the lower left if you go to "Know before you go" ,which opens a PDF, the dress code information there talks about collared shirts etc. and doesn't even talk about Ladies dress.

What Tennessee Titan posted is contained in each passenger's e-docs (electronic documents) under the category "shipboard life". I just printed our documents for our upcoming cruise, and the language is right there as quoted above.

So, jacket and tie are "appropriate", but no longer "required". Collared shirt and slacks are "required" (for the main dining room and specialty restaurants, with the exception of those restaurants on Lido deck). I guess they don't care what we ladies wear:D

Edited by middle-aged mom

I chatted with HAL earlier. At first the agent said:

“This dress code has not changed and I have seen not internal communication of it changing. Jacket and tie are still required for men on Gala nights.”

When I asked them to double-check, here was the response:

“I spoke with my ship services and they advised jacket and tie are no longer required but are recommended, however, slacks and collared shirts are required for men during Gala nights.”

Just wanted to pass that along.

Edited by syesmar

What is meant by 'Lido Deck'?

There are two restaurants on Lido Deck. Lido Restaurant and Canaletto. Is Lido now shorts and T shirts? I hope not! Canaletto is fast becoming one of the nicest dining rooms in the ship!

Edited by Topsham

What is meant by 'Lido Deck'?

There are two restaurants on Lido Deck. Lido Restaurant and Canaletto. Is Lido now shorts and T shirts? I hope not! Canaletto is fast becoming one of the nicest dining rooms in the ship!

To me, Lido deck means Lido deck. I believe it means the same to HAL as they use the phrase "with the exception of those restaurants on Lido deck." "Those restaurants" are the only two on the Lido deck: Lido restaurant and Canaletto.

Topsham,

I also noticed the updated language concerning shorts. They have been removed from attire that is best left to the daytime in the e-Docs and Know Before You Go. Where previously they had not been permitted on any evening in public areas, they are now specifically mentioned as permitted on the Lido Deck during Gala Nights. Because there were numerous reports of passengers wearing shorts in the MDR on regular evenings aboard this summer's Mediterranean cruises, I asked the Chat Agent about this, wondering if that, too, had changed. Here's what they said, after again consulting with ship services, "shorts are not allowed in the MDR."

But, I'm also wondering what exactly is meant by Lido Deck.

Edited by syesmar

Topsham,

I also noticed the updated language concerning shorts. They have been removed from attire that is best left to the daytime in the e-Docs and Know Before You Go. Where previously they had not been permitted on any evening in public areas, they are now specifically mentioned as permitted on the Lido Deck during Gala Nights. Because there were numerous reports of passengers wearing shorts in the MDR on regular evenings aboard this summer's Mediterranean cruises, I asked the Chat Agent about this, wondering if that, too, had changed. Here's what they said, after again consulting with ship services, "shorts are not allowed in the MDR."

But, I'm also wondering what exactly is meant by Lido Deck.

The Lido Deck ( at least on Vista and Signature ships)Has a number of informal restaurant venues; Dive In, Pizza, ice cream, in addition to the Lido and Canaletto dining rooms...

The authority is the cruise document/contract of carriage. The website and the social media coordinator on Facebook could be completely wrong. It would be bad PR, but it wouldn't change anything.

Wow. All I can say about these dress code threads is "Wow."

Where I come from, if something is "appropriate," then that is what's "required."

Where's that?

Here, (Western Maryland, USA) we have these definitions:

Appropriate = "suitable or fitting for a particular purpose, person, occasion, etc."

Required = "officially compulsory, or otherwise considered essential; indispensable."

Not quite the same...

Where's that?

Here, (Western Maryland, USA) we have these definitions:

Appropriate = "suitable or fitting for a particular purpose, person, occasion, etc."

Required = "officially compulsory, or otherwise considered essential; indispensable."

Not quite the same...

Okay, sure.

Nonetheless, we and most of our neighbors require appropriate behavior of our children and of ourselves.

I've never been to Western Maryland. Only the Eastern Shore.

I truly hope that HAL keeps formal/gala nights.

I don't want to see HAL go the way NCL has gone. That is one of the reasons we dropped NCL.

I recently sailed the Jade two week from Venice and can tell you first hand the dress I saw was much more formal in nature than I saw on my zuiderdam sailing last year. Perhaps it was the time of year but I saw many groups dressed to the 9's in tuxedos and beautiful gowns as well as many who were casual. Not a problem at all. Men and ladies can't wear shorts in main dining room and one of the speciality dining rooms.

I was booked to sail Europe in a haven suite on NCL next year but sadly it's been canceled so I've been looking at other cruises. We are looking at HAL for a replacement booking. I was thrilled to see the dress code for men was relaxed. My husband dresses very nicely but he will not be bringing jackets, dress shoes and ties on vacation, especially to Europe. regardless of what the dress code ends up to be, after sailing on HAL last year for the first time, I am now quite comfortable knowing he'll still be a well dressed man on board and if a tie and jacket are required a couple of evenings we will still have more than adequate dining alternatives. It was not the big deal I thought it was going to be and needlessly stressed out prior to last years cruise.