CP MACHINE USAGE (Snoring machine)

mohegan

My husband uses a CP machine at night. Are there outlets to accomodate the machine close to the bed or should we bring an extension cord?

In my experience, most cabins onboard cruise ships have one outlet on the desk (generally across the room from the head of the bed). There are a few ships that outlets next to the bed. Best to bring one and not need it.

Also a good idea to check with your cruise line to see if you are allowed to bring your own extension cords (some lines prohibit them).

Edited by Shmoo here

If you need one, bring it. They may be able to loan you one, but bring one anyway!

Not the best of advice as noted previously many cruise lines do not allow them to be brought on board and if found will confiscate them to be returned after the cruise.

There typically will be the necessary outlets to allow for its use. But my advice would be to contact your cruise line and discuss this with them directly. You will then have the correct information.

Not the best of advice as noted previously many cruise lines do not allow them to be brought on board and if found will confiscate them to be returned after the cruise.

There typically will be the necessary outlets to allow for its use. But my advice would be to contact your cruise line and discuss this with them directly. You will then have the correct information.

How ironic with your screen name you would be suggesting they leave their extension cord behind. :D

I have brought a high quality 8' extension cord with me on every cruise but my first one and never once had a naughty room visit or any issues with the cabin steward. If so, I would just tell them it is for my CPAP and they could provide me a replacement if mine did not pass muster. Not like they are going to throw you off the ship. I loop mine in plain view around the inside of a checked suitcase, and either they don't see it, or don't care. (I have gone on Royal and Princess)

How ironic with your screen name you would be suggesting they leave their extension cord behind. :D

I have brought a high quality 8' extension cord with me on every cruise but my first one and never once had a naughty room visit or any issues with the cabin steward. If so, I would just tell them it is for my CPAP and they could provide me a replacement if mine did not pass muster. Not like they are going to throw you off the ship. I loop mine in plain view around the inside of a checked suitcase, and either they don't see it, or don't care. (I have gone on Royal and Princess)

I only mentioned it as RCI (for example) specifically indicates extension cords as not being permitted. But having any issue by bringing one is another story, as you indicate. My suggestion to talk with the cruise line was also based on the importance of the OP's concern for needing one and if one was necessary to bring due to lack of plugs, the cruise line could then OK it in advance preventing a potential check in issue.

I also responded that way as the poster I referenced very often gives poor or downright incorrect advice. And in this case the OP's need to me was more important to verify than to leave to chance.

Good unintended reference with my screen name.....:D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

There typically will be the necessary outlets to allow for its use.

I have always taken my extension cord and never been stopped. I have yet to sail where there was an outlet close enough to the bed for me to use my machine without the extension so no, there typically is not the necessary outlets.

I tried asking for an extension cord on one cruise line and they said they did not have any. Glad I had mine with me.

I have always taken my extension cord and never been stopped. I have yet to sail where there was an outlet close enough to the bed for me to use my machine without the extension so no, there typically is not the necessary outlets.

I tried asking for an extension cord on one cruise line and they said they did not have any. Glad I had mine with me.

I agree 100%. The only time I needed an extension cord was on the Ocean Princess. It had to be really really long as stated above, there is rarely a plug near the bed.

As a new CPAP machine user I fully intend to bring along my heavy duty (orange) extension cord on my upcoming cruise(s). Just my luck, the ship wouldn't :( have one if I planned on leaving mine at home.

Edited by Treven

I've been on 5 cruises all Carnival and soon taking my 6th. on board the Breeze. I've used my CPAP for all cruises. Outlets can be few and far between. I take a plug surge protector which has 3 outlets. Sometimes the outlet can be a ways from the bed. However, I get imaginiative. Last year on the Conquest, I took the waste basket, upturned it and placed my CPAP on top. Luckilly my CPAP breathing tube is 6 ft. long so this helps. Take it with you and have a great cruise.

here is the post i started back in june..and i called right to carnival medical and they set me up with an extention cord and distilled water to be waiting in our rooms when we arrive..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2222418

this is where i got in touch with them...

specialneeds@carnival.com

the lady that looked after us was amazing...i wanted to get right to the horses mouth about what i could do and what i couldn't do.or what i could bring and so on..they answered everything for me..

I learned on cc that most ships have an outlet behind the bed.....it is not a us one so an adapter is needed....I was delighted to find one on the regal princess....used the adapter and able to plug in all our electronics on one night stand....and no cord snaking across the room....so much safer.....am sure the steward would help you....

I only mentioned it as RCI (for example) specifically indicates extension cords as not being permitted. But having any issue by bringing one is another story, as you indicate. My suggestion to talk with the cruise line was also based on the importance of the OP's concern for needing one and if one was necessary to bring due to lack of plugs, the cruise line could then OK it in advance preventing a potential check in issue.

I also responded that way as the poster I referenced very often gives poor or downright incorrect advice. And in this case the OP's need to me was more important to verify than to leave to chance.

Good unintended reference with my screen name.....:D

I know they say it is not allowed, but like bringing bottled water, it seems to be selectively enforced. If you bring a cord for a medical device that is at least as good as those they provide, they seem to have no issue at all, and you don't take a chance on them not having one for you, which I have seen reported more than once. I do think they should reserve the right to replace your cord with an approved one if you bring one of those super cheapo thin ones that are more of a hazard.

On all but 1 cruise I have brought my own cord and have never had a problem. The 1 time I asked to use the ships cord, I had to return it & get another. The one they gave me was frayed so badly, could not understand how they kept it around.

For my future cruises ( as well as long flights ) I am getting fitted for a ( disposable bandaid type ) cpap . Ask your doctor.

It's always a good idea to bring an extension cord with you. When staying at a hotel pre-cruise, the outlet is sometimes (often? usually?) across the room. I have had trouble finding a usable outlet by the bed at times.

Having that extension cord with me has been (literally) a life saver.

I can't speak to what other lines do, but as for Royal Caribbean if you call ahead you can have your reservation noted with "special needs". They will provide you with an extension cord AND the necessary distilled water for your CPAP. If you don't call ahead, you can simply ask your cabin steward once you're aboard.

Edited by Sherri914

An extension cord is always in my CPAP bag. I don't leave home without it; nor do I travel without the CPAP.

SNIP

For my future cruises ( as well as long flights ) I am getting fitted for a ( disposable bandaid type ) cpap . Ask your doctor.

Never heard of a disposable CPAP. The small battery powered travel machines are way to expensive to just toss in the trash.

Edited by CPT Trips

Never heard of a disposable CPAP. The small battery powered travel machines are way to expensive to just toss in the trash.

There are new products always coming out, including one that looks very promising that is still in the development stages and recently went nuts on one of those capital investment apps. I expect the way we look at CPAP in the next several years will change dramatically, and our current bulkier machines will go the way of 8 track players. Not entirely sure what the disposable reference is unless it is some kinda Zyppah or breathright product. I also looked at the travel units and you get less function for a crazy high price. No way for me to justify it.

Edited by Doug S

My husband uses a CP machine at night. Are there outlets to accomodate the machine close to the bed or should we bring an extension cord?

Which cruise line? NCL will tell you to bring an extension cord; HAL prefers you to use one of theirs -- reserve one through Special Needs ahead of time.

RCI often confiscates extension cords. I don't know what Carnival's policy is. Hubby wasn't using a CPAP when we cruised on carnival.

My recommendation is to put a 6'-8' extension cord in the CPAP case.

If this was me I would contact the cruise line directly.

Keith

It is the Special Needs dept of the Cruise line that needs to be contacted, not the general 800# since cruise line reps rarely know those kinds of answers and often give incorrect information.