Cruising Alaska with Holland America- the Biggest Trap Ever

You must have come to this forum to learn something and to understand why you were not permitted to board.

There have been some very detailed posts here detailing exactly what and why you should have done.

It appears you don't want to learn from us and that is fine but at some point, you will have to accept the largest of the reason you didn't cruise is because of what you did or did not do.

Whatever China does re: travel documents is their choice, whatever Canada does is their choice and same for all countries in the world.

It is not a 'right' that you get to travel wherever you want. If you wish to be a visitor in another country you must follow their rules.

You didn't.

Your anger is understandable but it might be a good time to start learning and give up the blaming others. As soon as you accept your actions or lack of actions were the ultimate reason you didn't cruise, the sooner you will learn what to do or not do next time.

I don't mean this as an attack but more the 'you' I keep saying is meant generically for all of us. We all make mistakes and need to learn from them. This mistake was a really big, costly one and all that is left now is to learn, give up the anger and not repeat the same bad choice again. A lesson for ALL of us.

Edited by sail7seas

This is a very good time for all of us of whatever nationality to check each and every country on our cruise itinerary to be sure about what documents are required. Some newbies need the reminder and this is an example of what NOT to do or expect. The responsibility remains with each traveler.

I am surprised that so many people managed to wade through your long run together post to figure out what you were talking about. Next time try spacing your posts so that they are easier to read.

Regardless, I did get as far as "my visa to US expires on June 23rd 2015, I called the agent to see if I can travel in July to Alaska.". It should have been obvious that you never travel with expired documents regardless of what any booking agent says.

DON

How did the OP expect to get back into the U.S. with an expired visa? She was lucky that the officials did not let her sail.

That was confusing me. too. So I googled it. It turns out a US visa is a permit to apply for entry to the US at a border point. The duration of that persons stay once admitted is given on their I-94 record. This need not be a specific number of days.

So a person can be in the US legally after their visa has expired. There is a provision in the law that re-validates the visa if while legally in the US with an expired visa and they just nip across the border into Canada or Mexico.

I am surprised that so many people managed to wade through your long run together post to figure out what you were talking about. Next time try spacing your posts so that they are easier to read.

Regardless, I did get as far as "my visa to US expires on June 23rd 2015, I called the agent to see if I can travel in July to Alaska.". It should have been obvious that you never travel with expired documents regardless of what any booking agent says.

DON

Not so Don..She had an I94 which gives her automatic revalidation meaning she could travel with an expired Visa, but that is strictly for re-entry into the US..It has nothing to do with a Canadian Visa..See my Post No. 50 explaining it..

How did the OP expect to get back into the U.S. with an expired visa? She was lucky that the officials did not let her sail.

No problem as she had an I94 which gave her permission to re-enter the U.S. with an expired visa at the border point..See the Automatic revalidation rules..Her mistake was not contacting the Canadian Officials to get a visa for Canada..

Edited by serendipity1499

Your e-docs say it all:

The bolding is HAL's, not mine.

The e-docs also contain a link to Visa Central:

Had you pursued the link, you would have seen the visa requirement and the recommendation that you contact the nearest consular office. You claim that you telephoned Visa Central and were told that no visa was required to enter Canada, but if this was the case, I suggest that you either didn't provide full details of your status or that there was a communication problem.

The bottom line is that you are responsible for your documentation. HAL can not take you on board knowing that you don't have a Canadian visa and was obliged to deny you passage. Unfortunate, but there it is.

Regarding the Visa Central website, when I enter the information for my wife, who is a permanent resident of the US, it says that a visa is required for some Caribbean countries we have already visited without a visa. I say this not as a comment about the OP's situation, but because I think it needs to be pointed out that one may get wrong information from Visa Central, or at least its website. I also find that Visa Central conflicts with information I get from VisaHQ.

Regarding the Visa Central website, when I enter the information for my wife, who is a permanent resident of the US, it says that a visa is required for some Caribbean countries we have already visited without a visa. I say this not as a comment about the OP's situation, but because I think it needs to be pointed out that one may get wrong information from Visa Central, or at least its website. I also find that Visa Central conflicts with information I get from VisaHQ.

Another reason to go straight to the various consulate/state dept websites for info.

Another reason to go straight to the various consulate/state dept websites for info.

If Visa Central erred in your wife's case, it did so on the side of caution and presumably directed you to contact consular officials where you could have acquired the most current and accurate information.

Visa Central, like so many internet websites, provide a good, free lookup service, but provides no guarantee for the accuracy of the frequently changing information. That's why they themselves recommend that you contact consular officials.

Personally, I don't even bother with any of those third party websites. I first check the official government website of the country I'm visiting, then pick up the phone and call their consular offices to verify the requirements. It's quick, efficient and foolproof.

Info at consular websites of some countries is clear, while at website for other countries it can be unclear or difficult to find. I find that VisaHQ has a simple web interface where you enter nationality, country of residency, residency status and destination country, and so far the information has been clear and accurate - I would be interested to know if anyone has found otherwise, or if they can share an alternative.

Well Ruth, I guess I am just not as brilliant as you and your reading comprehension is so much better than mine.

I read most of the thread and I understand that if you have certain other documents you can travel with an expired visa, and the Canadian visa is a separate issue.

But even if it is permitted to travel with an expired visa, why wouldn't one renew it?

Edited by Viv0828

Well Ruth, I guess I am just not as brilliant as you and your reading comprehension is so much better than mine.

I read most of the thread and I understand that if you have certain other documents you can travel with an expired visa, and the Canadian visa is a separate issue.

But even if it is permitted to travel with an expired visa, why wouldn't one renew it?

If you will be leaving the country in less than 90 days, why bother with the expense?

No need to be snarky...

Actually, you are right and Ruth is quite a brilliant, highly respected and well travelled long time poster on the HAL boards. A lot of people depend on her for her solid advice and words of wisdom.

Did you read the thread before asking this?

The answer has been given several times.

Whoops...Sorry Ruth & others, I should have read the rest of the page before posting..;)

I would not have renewed a recently expired visa either, but it does not mitigate the fact that the OP did not go to the Canadian authorities for a Canadian visa..

Perhaps "Caveat emptor" has little or different meaning to the OP, but it applies well here.

Also, OP continually refers to a "Visa Center". HAL refers in all cases I can find to "VisaCentral". "VisaCentral" website makes it clear within about 60 seconds that if you are of Chinese nationality, you must apply for a Canadian visa for tourist travel. I doubt there are exceptions. Googling "Visa Center" returns lots of results, the most prominent of which is the US National Visa Center which is a immigration visa processor. Which result did OP choose?

Truly sorry for your loss OP. No one wishes for these things to happen to anyone. Perhaps the Russians said it best: "Trust, but verify." Applies greatly when you are spending lots of your own money.

This is an issue on every cruise line not just HAL. We just cruised Alaska on Princess and I saw others in the process of being denied boarding because they did not have visas. They were not Chinese but I don't know what country they were from. I also saw people who may/may not have been denied boarding because they were traveling with grandkids without proper docs/signatures to take them out of the country without parents. That they may have been able to resolve that day I would guess. I'm sure every cruise has someone denied boarding with various document issues. You are the only one who can protect yourself by researching and being sure that you have what you need.

That was confusing me. too. So I googled it. It turns out a US visa is a permit to apply for entry to the US at a border point. The duration of that persons stay once admitted is given on their I-94 record. This need not be a specific number of days.

So a person can be in the US legally after their visa has expired. There is a provision in the law that re-validates the visa if while legally in the US with an expired visa and they just nip across the border into Canada or Mexico.

Interesting. So, theoretically, if successful, this trip could have apparently extended the expired Visa.

I have a feeling that the OP, having cruised in the Caribbean without needing visas for the individual countries she visited, didn't do enough research on Canadian Visa requirements. We met a Chinese national on our December Caribbean cruise who told us that cruising was the best way for a Chinese citizen to see the islands, as only a US visa was required, but if you flew to the countries, you would have to get individual visas. Obviously, cruising to Canada is different for Chinese citizens.

Interesting. So, theoretically, if successful, this trip could have apparently extended the expired Visa.

I suspect that the revalidation would only extend to current re-entry. The language on the government website is convoluted. Note that a US visa does NOT give the holder permission to be in the USA, NOR to enter the USA, but only to proceed to a port of entry and request permission to enter. Quoting--

"Having a U.S. visa allows you to travel to a port of entry, airport or land border crossing, and request permission of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Customs and Border Protection (CBP) inspector to enter the United States. While having a visa does not guarantee entry to the United States, it does indicate a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad has determined you are eligible to seek entry for that specific purpose. "