Cocktail prices raised to $7.50

JennysUncle

The bar menu prices went up on Aug 1 on the Ryndam. We were onboard for a B2B 7/25-8/1 and 8/1-8/15 out of Harwich. Early on the second leg we won a cocktail at Trivia and were told we could choose any on the menu up to $6.95 - and then saw that they were all $7.50. That surprised the trivia host too. The bartender confirmed that the price went up on Aug 1. We did :) get our drink. I see that the Signature Beverage Package in the Explore-4 promotion now covers cocktails and wine up to $8 instead of $7, so I presume the price increase is on all ships.

Guess they have to pay for all the free drink packages they are giving away! Maybe the idea was to give us free drinks for a cruise or two, get us hooked on doing more drinking while on the cruise, and THEN increase prices and profits - great plan!

Guess they have to pay for all the free drink packages they are giving away! Maybe the idea was to give us free drinks for a cruise or two, get us hooked on doing more drinking while on the cruise, and THEN increase prices and profits - great plan!

At least you've got the explore 4 package:D. While I don't like the price to go up its not a huge deal. The prices are better than princess.

The bar menu prices went up on Aug 1 on the Ryndam. We were onboard for a B2B 7/25-8/1 and 8/1-8/15 out of Harwich. Early on the second leg we won a cocktail at Trivia and were told we could choose any on the menu up to $6.95 - and then saw that they were all $7.50. That surprised the trivia host too. The bartender confirmed that the price went up on Aug 1. We did :) get our drink. I see that the Signature Beverage Package in the Explore-4 promotion now covers cocktails and wine up to $8 instead of $7' date=' so I presume the price increase is on all ships.[/quote']

According to the OP in this thread, the SBP covers wine & drinks up to $8 now.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2248705

FWIW, the average cost of a cocktail in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area is up over $1 since last year.

The bar menu prices went up on Aug 1 on the Ryndam. We were onboard for a B2B 7/25-8/1 and 8/1-8/15 out of Harwich. Early on the second leg we won a cocktail at Trivia and were told we could choose any on the menu up to $6.95 - and then saw that they were all $7.50. That surprised the trivia host too. The bartender confirmed that the price went up on Aug 1. We did :) get our drink. I see that the Signature Beverage Package in the Explore-4 promotion now covers cocktails and wine up to $8 instead of $7' date=' so I presume the price increase is on all ships.[/quote']

Wouldn't you think that the Cruise Director and his/her staff (who run the trivia) would be aware of an increase in bar prices? The ship surely had to have received/distributed new drink menus, the IT people would have had to update the computer pricing, and/or it undoubtedly would have been discussed in a staff meeting with the Hotel Manager, etc.

:rolleyes:

Yes, from $6.95 to $7.50. I was amazed I could figure that out without my calculator:D.

This works out to $9.75 Canadian plus the 15%. Our low dollar now makes it as expensive to drink on Hal as it is in my local bars and I don't do much of that. I usually run up a $300+ U.S. tab in 7 days, but that won't be the case now.

Edited by solocanadian

This works out to $9.75 Canadian plus the 15%. Our low dollar now makes it as expensive to drink on Hal as it is in my local bars and I don't do much of that. I usually run up a $300+ U.S. tab in 7 days, but that won't be the case now.

If I were Canadian I'd be buying OBC now. The CAD will very likely continue to to get weaker unfortunately.

HAL drinks are a bargain, even with the $1 increase.

Exactly. While I like drink prices as low as possible (who doesn't) I often wondered why that wasn't the first thing they did instead of some of the more questionable trimbacks/cutbacks that have taken place. They could raise the prices of drinks a good amount and still be lower than average

In most of our local restaurants, a glass of house wine is at least $8.95 or so. I don't think the price is too high they are charging but the choices of wine by the glass are not so wonderful.

I think if someone wants to order by the glass a wine that costs a bit more and have SBP, they should credit up to the $8 and charge the guest whatever the overage amount is. NCL does that. HAL says get the lower price wine or pay full price for a higher quality. Bad idea, IMO

You need to read the title of the post ("maybe they will increase") as well...

The post title doesn't show up in the mobile version of the Cruise Critic message boards, just the body. The only post title that shows is the the first post in a thread. Since I'm on my phone, I had no idea that there was anything beyond what I quoted. It makes more sense once you supplied the title.

I try not to think about the cdn equivalent. For sure I don't drink as much on princess because their prices are so high.