Cutting corners?

ChappChapp

We are on one of the GV's in December, and have not received any shortening yet..however, has anyone checked online at their scheduled cruise and also seen the shortened times now in the web for that cruise, or is it still the original? Just curious if they are being accurately reflected online now also, or if they still reflect the old times. Tina

So I only found out today from our roll call about the shortening of port times. I'm assuming that there will be an email coming tomorrow from my TA but she would have been gone from the office by the time it was generated. I compared the times of the revised itinerary from when they reversed the ports and shortened a couple of them to what was advertised if purchasing a new cruise today and they are indeed shortened. Not happy. I would look and see what is being advertised on the website for your cruise.

The "new owners" of Oceania will have no effect, as there are essentially no new owners. Apollo Management was the owner of Oceania and Regent (as Prestige Cruise Holdings), and Frank Del Rio, the founder of Oceania, was the CEO. Apollo also owned a significant amount of NCL. NCL Holdings (NCLH) was created as the parent company to take NCL public through an IPO.

NCLH then "acquired" PCH and rolled all three cruise lines, NCL, Oceania and Regent, into one holding company. Subsequently, Frank Del Rio was named CEO of the overall holding company, NCLH. He brought many of his PCH executives with him. Prestige still exists as a division of NCLH, and the President is Jason Montague, who has been with Oceania since it was founded. NCL (the cruise line, not the holding company) is a separate organization within NCLH, whose President is Andy Stuart, a long-time NCL executive.

In other words, the "purchase" was really just a financial vehicle to bring Oceania into the publicly owned holding company without the problems and expense of a separate IPO. The management of the overall company is exactly the same as Oceania has always enjoyed.

It's NCL which is undergoing some far-reaching changes as a result, not Oceania. Apollo management is still a significant investor (perhaps the largest single investor), as they have been with Oceania since 2007. Apollo still has members on the Board of Directors. Apollo has not changed their goals.

That's very helpful, and hopeful, Don. Thank you. Squares with what an O rep told me; glad to get it from an independent source.

--Steve

I'm sailing on the Nautica November 24 doing the Cape Town to Cape Town itinerary. Regent was slated for the exact same itinerary on the same dates. Shortly before final payment we received an email from Oceania stating that they had to reverse the itinerary due to berthing conflicts. The new itinerary also had us lose 3 hours of time in port overall. I thought it strange that there would be a conflict because I would have imagined they had this itinerary planned for a couple of years but who am I to know the fine details of scheduling.

Today I found out via our roll call and then checked online that several ports have now been shorted again with an overall loss of 7 hours from the original itinerary. We now have to reorganize private excursions not once but a second time.

This will be my first time sailing on Oceania and it isn't making a very favorable first impression.

Having bought my cruise in the U.K I am not sure if it would be legal to cut port timings as they would fall foul of the Trade Descriptions Act in not supplying what I have contracted to purchase.

Normally one could claim a full refund including all expenses, Don't worry O.C I don't intend to cancel to test my thoughts.

Just got off the Mariner but am posting here for reasons you will understand. I think the ambiance of any cruise ship is important and the art on that ship is an important aspect of this for me. FDR has a rep for good art, mostly because of the Riviera and Marina? ( I haven't been on the Marina). We also sailed on the Mariner in October of 2014. In approximately Dec of 2014 Regent changed out the art on the Mariner. Timing? Soon after the deal I think. There was some good art on the Mariner which was perhaps worth something. This trip the art was gone replaced by pretend art, the slashed color variety. It was so bad that upon disembarking yesterday I noticed that a pretend art painting in front of the forward elevators on deck 11 was peeling off! It was wall paper! Luxury is a feeling. Regent and Oceania are losing it. Now, the reason I posted here is this: " Has the art on the Riviera, which has been praised by many, been changed?" Those beautiful tropical landscapes in the spa area and the interesting South American art in the Horizon lounge, and many others. If so, I think the message is clear. Interested in your comments.

Just got off the Mariner but am posting here for reasons you will understand. I think the ambiance of any cruise ship is important and the art on that ship is an important aspect of this for me. FDR has a rep for good art, mostly because of the Riviera and Marina? ( I haven't been on the Marina). We also sailed on the Mariner in October of 2014. In approximately Dec of 2014 Regent changed out the art on the Mariner. Timing? Soon after the deal I think. There was some good art on the Mariner which was perhaps worth something. This trip the art was gone replaced by pretend art, the slashed color variety. It was so bad that upon disembarking yesterday I noticed that a pretend art painting in front of the forward elevators on deck 11 was peeling off! It was wall paper! Luxury is a feeling. Regent and Oceania are losing it. Now, the reason I posted here is this: " Has the art on the Riviera, which has been praised by many, been changed?" Those beautiful tropical landscapes in the spa area and the interesting South American art in the Horizon lounge, and many others. If so, I think the message is clear. Interested in your comments.

That art was on the Riviera in December.

This trip the art was gone replaced by pretend art, the slashed color variety. It was so bad that upon disembarking yesterday I noticed that a pretend art painting in front of the forward elevators on deck 11 was peeling off! It was wall paper! Luxury is a feeling. Regent and Oceania are losing it. Now, the reason I posted here is this: " Has the art on the Riviera, which has been praised by many, been changed?" Those beautiful tropical landscapes in the spa area and the interesting South American art in the Horizon lounge, and many others. If so, I think the message is clear. Interested in your comments.

Are you talking about artwork for sale or the art work around the ship??

Was the art near outside doorways where the salt air could affect it ?

Maybe they were artworks done with a process called Giclee a lot less expensive than real artworks that can be damaged by the sea & salt air & cheaper to replace

Just a thought

Same artwork on Marina in May as we saw in 2011 maybe a few pieces have been changed I did not document them all

Edited by LHT28

We will be on the Riviera in November. I'll report if the art isn't beautiful. Actually I'll probably report anyways as I normally do a live thread when I am on board. I love the ambience on nice art. It really makes the difference on a ship IMO. One of the reasons I like some of the HAL ships ;)

Having bought my cruise in the U.K I am not sure if it would be legal to cut port timings as they would fall foul of the Trade Descriptions Act in not supplying what I have contracted to purchase.

Normally one could claim a full refund including all expenses, Don't worry O.C I don't intend to cancel to test my thoughts.

roger b: we pay more for cruises in the UK because of our strict consumer protection laws. So use them. Last year I threatened to take a cruise line - not Oceania - to the small claims stream at the county court for reasons that don't matter here. Using that court if you don't win you don't have to pay the defendant's costs unless you have been frivolous.

They admitted their fault and sent me a cheque, but not an apology.

It's simple to do on-line.

If Oceania fail to provide what I have signed-up for on my next cruise I may do the same as my contract is with their company in the UK.

I wouldn't do that for the money, nice as compensation may be, but to send a message: "You give me what I paid for or else ..."

Of course the company cannot be held liable for problems beyond their control.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

enjoy the cruise

Of course - you are absolutely right. I'll add a few photos and you can all judge and those that have been on will know if the art is the same or not.

It's all new for me ;)

I wasn't that thrilled with the Riviera artwork. Below are some of the paintings I posted in my review that were interesting. I know this has nothing to do with cutting corners; but it does relate to the recent comments.

Oh dear :eek: That is not what I envisaged.

I hope some of the art is better than that.

I prefer the Dutch Masters, old good art as well. I'll get enough of that stuff at the Guggenheim before we get on board.

We'll just have to make the best of it, I guess ;) and I won't pass judgement until I am onboard but......

FDR's personal art collection is on Marina (and possibly Riviera, I don't remember) and it is fabulous. I cannot imagine any art work will be removed from any Oceania ship.

Marina has quite a few original signed Miro, Dali, Picasso works that are exquisitely beautiful. I spend lots of time walking corridors and going up and down staircases to try to see it all. Love all the zmurano glass and the Lalique Crystal is to die for. Pictures do not do it justice.

FDR's personal art collection is on Marina (and possibly Riviera, I don't remember) and it is fabulous. I cannot imagine any art work will be removed from any Oceania ship.

Marina has quite a few original signed Miro, Dali, Picasso works that are exquisitely beautiful. I spend lots of time walking corridors and going up and down staircases to try to see it all. Love all the zmurano glass and the Lalique Crystal is to die for. Pictures do not do it justice.

DH would be in heaven with Miro, Dali & Picasso. Sadly we are on the Riviera. I had better not tell him what was on the sister ship ;)

If you like Murano glass you should really visit the Maasdam PG if you get the chance - it is exquisite ;)

I find the lack of any kind of response to this port time issue other than a standard form letter to this very interesting.

On the Azamara board there is a recent thread about replacing the Sunset bar area with a for fee Asian specialty restaurant during an upgrade period. The thread was monitored and replied to several times by an Azamara rep. Due to the overwhelming negative response the decision was reversed and the Azamara rep. thanked CC members for their feedback.

In contrast, O remains silent on an issue that also impacts their loyal customer base. While the 2 issues are different, they both impacted guest enjoyment. What makes O decision worse is they are doing it after final payment while Azamara, even if they had gone ahead, there would have been a lot of advance warning.