Eight things to never eat on a cruise ship

Pilot70D

This article seems to be more about calories than actual valuable information on food safety' date=' especially the part about beef and bacteria. The reason it is safe to eat a steak rare, but not a hamburger, is because the bacteria only forms on the cut edges of the meat. Therefore, as long as a steak is cooked to a certain temperature on the outside you're likely safe, whereas hamburger, being ground, has cut edges on the inside, so if it is not consumed either very quickly after being ground or cooked to at least medium-well (no pink) it can be harbour some bacteria.[/quote']

What is so funny about this article is if you follow the link in the article for beef, it takes you to a USDA website which discusses exactly the same points you made. IOW, the author just grabbed a headline without understanding the information.

Which by the way only reinforces a survey I read in the WSJ about 15 years ago which rated various college majors. Journalism was the 2nd lowest rating on the difficulty of the curriculum and the SAT and grade points of incoming students.

Remember that the next time you're listening to the network news.

Simple answer is anything in moderation, a mixed diet involving items which are seen as booth good and bad and most people will be fine. What amazes me at times while cruising is the actual amount that people eat. People watching at the buffet at lunchtime I've seen plates of food with enough on them to feed our whole family for a full day.

I guess the cruise lines should save on fresh produce and lean protein and just serve processed, out of the box foods, Kraft mac & cheese, Dinty Moore Beef Stew, etc. I am sure there are more but since I don't buy box foods I can't think of any.

Don't forget the SPAM!!!

This is just another in a long succession of articles written by people who cannot stand to see others enjoying themselves and who also want, ultimately, to control our lives. In the USA over the years various "Centers for the Control of Everything" have published articles denouncing Italian, French, Chinese, Thai cuisines ad infinitum. I've been eating all of them for more years than I care to remember and I'm still here writing about it. Stay out of my life, Control Freaks and Big Government. I can take care of myself and so can most other people. There, I feel much better :)

And then there's the "Food Babe" who loves to talk about chemicals in food. Of course there are chemicals in food, Einstein, and you can find each and every one of them on the periodic table. Even if you're just drinking water you're drinking two chemicals, H (to the power of two, sorry if this confuses you, Food Babe) & O!! Sheesh...

Ever since my wife worked in a canning factory as a teen, she absolutely refuses to eat canned vegetables, especially creamed corn. :eek:

I understand. I toured a marachanio cherry factory once. I will never, ever eat one of those. Watching the process made me gag.

I understand. I toured a marachanio cherry factory once. I will never, ever eat one of those. Watching the process made me gag.

i'm not quite sure if you're being serious:o ? If you are, PLEASE tell me what goes into making a maraschino cherry. I'm dying to know.

The War Department (a.k.a. Mrs. B) has come up with the path for our salvation.

We are booked on the upcoming Silhouette TA cruise leaving Rome on October 31st. We will pack and bring along with us two jars of peanut butter and one jar of jelly!!!!!!

I'm on that cruise so I can't wait to see that !:D:D

Fortunately the two jars of peanut butter will have to go in checked luggage. It most certainly would not last until we cleared the ADIZ on our flight to Rome if the War Department could get her hands on it.

Everyone out there have a great day.

:D:p:D