Eight things to never eat on a cruise ship

Pilot70D

I guess the cruise lines should save on fresh produce and lean protein and just serve processed, out of the box foods, Kraft mac & cheese, Dinty Moore Beef Stew, etc. I am sure there are more but since I don't buy box foods I can't think of any.

QUIET - hush there or those will become the only items in Murano's!!!!!!!!

For those not dining in the specialty restaurants it will be bee's knees on bread!!!!!

:p:D:p

What a ridiculous article. I'm sure we've all noticed cooks at the grill use a meat thermometer to ensure that chicken is cooked properly.

Ketchup and mustard do not need to be refrigerated.

The vinegar in ketchup/mustard keeps away the bacteria.

The War Department (a.k.a. Mrs. B) has come up with the path for our salvation.

We are booked on the upcoming Silhouette TA cruise leaving Rome on October 31st. We will pack and bring along with us two jars of peanut butter and one jar of jelly!!!!!!

I'm on that cruise so I can't wait to see that !:D:D

This person has never been on a cruise ship!!

Raw milk??? Are you serious??? Maybe X added some cows to the Lawn Club to provide raw milk. I´ve never seen non pasteurized - meaning raw - milk on a cruise ship. And there never will be any as it doesn´t keep fresh very long.

Undercooked beef, poultry, shellfish??? You mean I´m not allowed to order my steak medium rare to rare anymore? Gee, all meat is frozen and slowly thawed under temperature control. It´s much safer that the stuff you have in your fridge or freezer!

Condiments - o.k., the part about the sugar is true... but that´s nothing new. Same for fancy cocktails...

Fresh fruit - time and temperature control on a cruise ship is much more effective than in your local supermarket. Don´t buy any ready to eat fruit there!

steamboats

Hmmm, this is a big concern as I love eating raw shellfish and rare beef.

Perhaps if I increase my alcohol content to 8 beers, 2 martinis, 2 glasses of wine with dinner and 17 scotches per day, then the alcohol content in my stomach might be strong enough to kill all of those bugs?

Edited by Mynki

Very strange writeup.

Keith

ClickBait Ignore any story from MSN. A ridiculous number of ads on each page..they aren't even pretending this is journalism. The Internet is loaded with ClickBait, but MSN's junk science stories in Health are especially stupid.

Steamboats..love your visual of cows on the Lawn:D Raw milk isn't even legal in our state. :)

Steamboats..love your visual of cows on the Lawn:D Raw milk isn't even legal in our state. :)

It´s legal in Germany but has to be marked clearly and they have a special name for it. As it´s seldomly bought it´s pretty hard to find in any supermarket.

Cheeses made out of raw milk are not that hard to find and pretty common (something you have to learn as a woman when you get pregnant and are not allowed to eat raw milk products or raw sausages like Salami).

steamboats

Canned green beans and creamed corn are sure going to taste great on our next cruise.

Ever since my wife worked in a canning factory as a teen, she absolutely refuses to eat canned vegetables, especially creamed corn. :eek:

Edited by bobndee

We've got condiments in our cupboard from shops and manufacturers who no longer exist! Many of them are packed with so many sugars and preservatives that I'm sure I could pass on to my next of kin as part of my estate.

Confused why beef gets such a bad write up and not pork, and no mention of rice - which we’re told Can be very risky particularly if it is reheated.

an idiot writes an article after interviewing someone with something to sell and this is rubbish you get.

This is just another in a long succession of articles written by people who cannot stand to see others enjoying themselves and who also want, ultimately, to control our lives. In the USA over the years various "Centers for the Control of Everything" have published articles denouncing Italian, French, Chinese, Thai cuisines ad infinitum. I've been eating all of them for more years than I care to remember and I'm still here writing about it. Stay out of my life, Control Freaks and Big Government. I can take care of myself and so can most other people. There, I feel much better :)

We've got condiments in our cupboard from shops and manufacturers who no longer exist! Many of them are packed with so many sugars and preservatives that I'm sure I could leave them to my next of kin as part of my estate.

Confused why beef gets such a bad write up and not pork, and no mention of rice - which we’re told Can be very risky particularly if it is reheated.

an idiot writes an article after interviewing someone with something to sell and this is the rubbish you get. Just another idiot blogger... Who makes money every time we read their rubbish

Edited by DYKWIA

We've got condiments in our cupboard from shops and manufacturers who no longer exist! Many of them are packed with so many sugars and preservatives that I'm sure I could leave them to my next of kin as part of my estate.

That's funny. We, too, had a bottle of Oriental style hot sauce in the door of our refrigerator for more than a dozen years. I love the stuff, but it was a large bottle, and how much can one use? It's very potent. The color had gone from a rather bright red to a dull maroon but use it I did, and if anything, it had become even stronger tasting. I finally chucked it, but only because I purchased a smaller bottle for space saving. No one ever got sick or complained of an off taste with the old stuff which was marked for expiration back in 2005 or so.. The new bottle will likely outlast me. Some things have a remarkable shelf life, regardless of what the bottle indicates.

That's funny. We, too, had a bottle of Oriental style hot sauce in the door of our refrigerator for more than a dozen years. I love the stuff, but it was a large bottle, and how much can one use? It's very potent. The color had gone from a rather bright red to a dull maroon but use it I did, and if anything, it had become even stronger tasting. I finally chucked it, but only because I purchased a smaller bottle for space saving. No one ever got sick or complained of an off taste with the old stuff which was marked for expiration back in 2005 or so.. The new bottle will likely outlast me. Some things have a remarkable shelf life, regardless of what the bottle indicates.

LOL - We have a similar "hot sauce" that's done exactly the same - It's the cheap powerful stuff they throw on food in take aways in the UK - Big Bottle how on earth you can get through it. We keep it in the fridge along with 101 other potions - we nickname this one "Firewater" - and I'm sure it has miraculous medicinal properties - it will clear any blocked up nose!

http://www.carblife.co.uk/sauces-spices/crucials-hot-stuff-chilli-sauce/

£1.49 for half a litre :D

My rule of thumb is that if something has a best before date and says "use within 4 months of opening" then what mysteriously happens at 3 months and 1 day? yes it might oxidise, change colour, the taste might alter (perhaps not for the best) etc etc but it should be ok..... I don't apply this reasoning to stuff that has a Use By date and says something like "use within 3 days"

Edited by DYKWIA

All I can say is, "Yikes!". That, and that Lois is right; the person who wrote this article (very poorly, I might add) is stupid. DH and I cruise rather than go on land based vacations in the Caribbean specifically because their food handling and storage practices are much safer. A week in the Dominican Republic landed DH in the hospital, but we have had no such experience on our many cruise.

This article seems to be more about calories than actual valuable information on food safety, especially the part about beef and bacteria. The reason it is safe to eat a steak rare, but not a hamburger, is because the bacteria only forms on the cut edges of the meat. Therefore, as long as a steak is cooked to a certain temperature on the outside you're likely safe, whereas hamburger, being ground, has cut edges on the inside, so if it is not consumed either very quickly after being ground or cooked to at least medium-well (no pink) it can be harbour some bacteria.

:p How about if every ship just removed the galleys and all passengers brought their own groceries. Add a microwave to each stateroom.

Think of the money the cruise lines would save. Fares would have to drop too!

OH! Leave the bars and cocktail lounges open!!! :p:D:p

(Yes, this is a dumb idea and so was this article) ;)