No smoking Not enforced on Navigator

rkd1

Like it or not' date=' there is no legal expectation of privacy while on a balcony. Knocking something out of someone's hands, dumping water on them, etc., is Battery. The cell or brig for the perpetrator will not have a balcony. :)

Do not directly communicate with the offenders. There is risk in doing so.

I'm sure Royal will do something for you, but it's a shame it's ruining your trip in the meantime.[/quote']

There was no way I would confront them. I thought calling guest services was the thing to do. Apparently not, but it hasn't ruined our trip. Certainly hasn't enhanced it any. Thanks

What would you think if the person taking the pic had leaned over to take the pic and had the wrong balcony. It can happen. All you need is the wind to be blowing the right way and you may think it was coming from a different place. If your children were on the balcony and someone leaned over and took a picture of them you would not find them creepy. I guess we just come from different worlds.

After six days in a row it is impossible to NOT know where it would be coming from. To each their own.

Not if they are having to stick a camera around the divider to capture a photo of you. No different than if you have bushes surrounding your pool outside and someone sticks a camera through the bushes to take a picture of you.

Sorry, but what you are saying is still not right. Just FYI, this is my field of expertise. Just not liking something doesn't make it illegal.

I have asthma and I would be in trouble if I had the smokers cabin next week. If the smoke was bad in the OP's cabin imagine what their cabin will smell like. This would be a health issue for me.

I get bronchitis every time I am around cig smoke- irritates my bronchioles and then it begins- only antibiotics will slow and stop it. People got upper respiratory infections on my last cruise and I caught at the end and was sick for 4 weeks. RCI needs to change their policy to be more rational and classy like Celebrity.

Just so others can get an idea of the balcony situation... this is the RFS balcony on deck 9 of Navigator.

IMG_0525_zps07a41487.jpg

IMG_0526_zps53e0ddd6.jpg

The balcony on deck 10 is right above it... there is no overhang or cover for the balcony below. You can easily see the folks below and I can imagine that the smoke would rise right onto the balcony above.

Just so others can get an idea of the balcony situation... this is the RFS balcony on deck 9 of Navigator.

IMG_0525_zps07a41487.jpg

IMG_0526_zps53e0ddd6.jpg

The balcony on deck 10 is right above it... there is no overhang or cover for the balcony below. You can easily see the folks below and I can imagine that the smoke would rise right onto the balcony above.

I wonder what would happen of you ordered dinner in and a plate of spaghetti was aciccidently dropped.

Having said this, I'm a cigar smoker that respects others.

I'd like to add, some people are clever. On Allure in May I was split between two cabins with someone else in between the two (disappointing,but late booking). Anyway onboard the couple in between were a non English speaking Korean couple who spent the start of the cruise opening the door to the cabin attendant while both being naked. Anyway, they were smoking from day 1, clearly chain smoking, on day two the cabin attendant came and apologised to us if we smelt anything and that they have been told about the rules and the hazards, from that point onward the Do Not Disturb sign was permanently in the door and we often came back to the smell of cigarettes. We did notify the cabin attendant but he cannot open the door when the sign is on. So by about Day 5 we left the cabin around 8am to find the hotel director and security opening the cabin after 3 knocks. After that there was no smell, and no do not disturb sign, they were still onboard however.

Hi, we are currently on the Navigator of the Seas in a junior suite just above a royal family suite. The people in the room have smoked our entire trip making our balcony unusable.

We have reported it 6 times to guest services ( one fellow we talked to didn't even know it wasn't allowed). We even enlisted the help of Nadja the concierge who has tried to help us to no avail. I have even talked to the head of guest service wh has been of no use.

It looks like to me if you spend enough money on a room you get to do what you want! Ironic thing is we are in that room next week.

On our Oasis TA we had a smoker next door the whole TA. Everyone was aware but nothing was done. Called, told the room Super. and such but nada. Security was called twice by our room att. and he said as we debarked...they never came.....

We even had ashes on the floor of our balcony as they blew from next door. They had Do Not Disturb on almost the whole day every day.

So, RCL isn't doing very well with their smoking policy which we were thrilled about when it came out.

We were on Indy Jan. the first cruise and they did not do much about any of the smoking. Had an aft corner person sit out all the time smoking and putting her butts into the coffee cup.....now where do those butts go??:rolleyes: Toilet maybe??

No note about New Policy on the bed, just a small part once mentioned on the Compass. Nothing mentioned at Muster either. Was mentioned pre Muster on the PA System which not as many hear.

Edited by CVU

Not looking for compensation & I will not change cruise lines. I love Royals product, but I can't believe they will not fix this.. I have mailed Bailey but no response yet. The officer met with U.S. In the concierge lounge on night # 2 with Nadja ( who has really tried to help), but I guess they are afraid to confront

them . I don't know what else to think!

It's just sad that they are afraid to comfort them. Money shouldn't trump the rules and others comfort.

After every cruise I voice my displeasure regarding their smoking policy when I complete their survey. I was so happy when they made the rule of no smoking on balconies. But since then we have always have people around us that don't follow the rules, which limits our time out there. We had a British couple next to us on our last cruise that must have been chain smokers, every time we went out they were there. My fault for not complaining....... That won't happen again.

I wonder about the legality of taking pictures of guests. If I saw someone taking my picture while on my personal balcony, whether there was smoking involved or not, their camera would go overboard.

Judging from the complaints from the rich and famous about paparazzi constantly photographing them whenever they go outside, and the fact that there's nothing they can do about it, I'd say you don't need to wonder about the legality. Clearly it's legal.

The person with the legal issue would be the one who threw the camera overboard.

Judy

Not if they are having to stick a camera around the divider to capture a photo of you. No different than if you have bushes surrounding your pool outside and someone sticks a camera through the bushes to take a picture of you.

What you described is clearly not the case here. The aft RFS balconies on decks 7 and 8 are almost fully visible to the folks above on decks 9 and 10 on VY and FR class ships. They can stand at their rail and look down and see nearly the whole balcony below. Likewise if people on decks 7 or 8 stood at their rail, turned around and faced the ship, they could photograph all the balconies above them.

Judy

I am so sorry that some people think they are above the rules . I am a smoker and would never consider smoking where it is not permitted ,and would and make sure that my smoking does not bother others . My liberty finishes when it is stepping on another human's !

Added a comment to your FB post to hopefully aid in your cause. We've not had an issue since the smoking policy had been tightened, but on our other two Galveston cruises (hmmm) both had quite an issue with butt-flickage from next door neighbors.

To the point that our Room Steward quietly put an ashtray on our balcony.

You are not in public if you are own private property. And for the purposes of this argument, if you are on your balcony you are own private property (you rented it for the week). If no expectation of privacy was expected there would be no need for dividers between the balconies so yes, an expectation of privacy is expected.

But what I can't believe is the butthurt flowing over some cigarettes. :confused:

So you have a balcony over the mall or the pool area and no one can look up and invade your privacy while you are breaking the rules smoking and making life miserable for those around you. Pretty self centered I would say. And taking someone's picture is not illegal unless you make money from it so smile and click click lol

My mom passed before the smoking rules were changed....she spent all of the day except for lunch,dinner and a nap smoking up a storm on her balcony.....she might have 2 or 3 going at a time.......so,indeed,there are people who pretty much smoke all day on the balcony......my sister rarely left her cabin doing pretty much the same....I would hate that and not stop complaining til someone listened..... .I could not even visit them in their homes due to the smoke as it triggered asthma symptoms that were hard to treat....I hope the op is offered some compensation on their second leg....seems well deserved and shame on the cruiseline for not dealing with it...

I am so sorry that some people think they are above the rules . I am a smoker and would never consider smoking where it is not permitted ,and would and make sure that my smoking does not bother others . My liberty finishes when it is stepping on another human's !

I totally Agee with you...I would never smoke anywhere that was not allowed.. I have been on Vacation with my Family and never smoke the whole time with them... People that disrespect rulles is not right..People should know that just because you smoke does not mean you are a disrespectful person....

The problem is they have 2 policies working against each other.

1 policy says no smoking on the balconies.

Another policy says that the staff will not confront passengers.

Security should have responded immediately when it was first reported to speak with them. Security has more power when it comes to enforcing rules.

I haven't had this situation come up, thankfully. But my understanding is that you should call security, not customer service or housekeeping.

That's what they told us on Enchantment last week.

I'm finding this thread very interesting and am waiting to see if the OP gets a decent solution from RCI. It would absolutely put me off booking a balcony cabin on ANY RCI ships if there is no assurance that the no smoking rule will be adhered to and offenders dealt with immediately.

Commiserations OP - RCI have added insult to injury by ignoring your complaints :(

But what I can't believe is the butthurt flowing over some cigarettes. :confused:

Some of us care about breathing other people's smoke.

It is not "butthurt", it is health and your comment is very insulting. :rolleyes::mad: