passport card

kimbo1

A passport card is acceptable.

You cannot fly internationally with just the card though

Since they have the book they can leave it with a responsible party and it could be overnighted if something happened. That is what we are considering doing, leaving the passports at home and using our EDL's for the cruise.

The purpose of having a passport is to be able to easily fly home from a foreign place. The "card" will not help you. Your DL and BC will do the same as the card.

On a closed loop cruise, you do NOT need a passport. If you want a passport, get the real thing...not the "card".

Regarding passport cards.

We live in NY state about 7 miles from Canada border crossing. Those cards are nice for that type of crossing. Anything involving distance and the possibility of air travel means we take the book. Think of the card as a convenience item in ADDITION to your book.

If something happens and I need to fly home, I don't want to wait for someone to overnight my passport book to me.

is a passport card acceptable on a bahama cruise from fla. or do i need to bring my big passport

I find it difficult to understand why; seeing as you seem to have a proper passport already why you should not simply take that? There are unforeseen possibilities that may occur where having a passport will be vital in getting you out of trouble.

Regards John

The purpose of having a passport is to be able to easily fly home from a foreign place. The "card" will not help you. Your DL and BC will do the same as the card.

On a closed loop cruise, you do NOT need a passport. If you want a passport, get the real thing...not the "card".

The purpose of a passport is to fly home from a foreign place period. The passport card may be used for land crossings and for cruises within the WHTI (both closed loop and open jaw), so if that is the only travel that someone does then having a passport card fits their needs to a T.

Regarding passport cards.

We live in NY state about 7 miles from Canada border crossing. Those cards are nice for that type of crossing. Anything involving distance and the possibility of air travel means we take the book. Think of the card as a convenience item in ADDITION to your book.

If something happens and I need to fly home, I don't want to wait for someone to overnight my passport book to me.

Since all of our cruises before now were done without a passport leaving it home where it is safe when we don't need it isn't that big of a stretch for us. In all of the debates about taking passports ashore it seems that a majority of people leave them in the ship's safe because that is the safest place for them. How much safer are they if they don't even leave the country (presuming of course that they aren't necessary to board)? We can use our enhanced drivers license and in the rare event that something goes wrong we would have our passports in a day.

I find it difficult to understand why; seeing as you seem to have a proper passport already why you should not simply take that? There are unforeseen possibilities that may occur where having a passport will be vital in getting you out of trouble.

Regards John

The odds of something happening for most passengers is so low that the real risk is negligible. Since the cruise can be done without a passport in the first place why take such a valuable document and expose it to loss or theft.

Really? Why?

With the understanding that most premium and luxury cruise passengers are well-traveled, already own a passport and understand all the problems that can be avoided by carrying it, it is not a major imposition for cruise lines to require them (even when the government authorities in ports visited don't have such requirements).

Because of the cruise lines' requirement for passports, there is far less hassle in those ports that require immigration clearance. On those types of itineraries, the cruise line will even go a step further and require passengers to surrender the passports at embarkation. Thus, any clearance moves quickly because passports do not need to be collected and, more importantly, the passengers remain at rest (or goes about their business) while the whole immigration clearance takes place. In addition, should passengers' personal emergencies arise (e.g., medevac and/or flights home), there is no issue regarding having taken the risk of traveling without one. (Sorry to disagree with those folks who take that risk but, leaving the US w/o acquiring and carrying a passport is "penny wise and pound foolish.")

Also, when the passports are surrendered to the purser, there's no issue of trying to find the passport in a person's cabin (if it's even there) should s/he miss the ship's departure from any given port. Purser has it and gives it to port agent. Simple. (Passengers have enough to deal with in arranging to catch up with the ship to spend time and energy trying to get a new passport or having someone at home attempt to fedex one left at home for "security(?)".

At the bottom line, the passport requirement makes life easier for both the ship and the passenger.

So, why don't all cruise lines require them? Each additional requirement for travel has the potential to lose paying passengers, particularly on the least expensive lines where folks are sucked in by low cabin fares (only to have their "daily rate" grow steadily as they are nickel/dimed left and right once aboard).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

With the understanding that most premium and luxury cruise passengers are well-traveled, already own a passport and understand all the problems that can be avoided by carrying it, it is not a major imposition for cruise lines to require them (even when the government authorities in ports visited don't have such requirements).

Because of the cruise lines' requirement for passports, there is far less hassle in those ports that require immigration clearance. On those types of itineraries, the cruise line will even go a step further and require passengers to surrender the passports at embarkation. Thus, any clearance moves quickly because passports do not need to be collected and, more importantly, the passengers remain at rest (or goes about their business) while the whole immigration clearance takes place. In addition, should passengers' personal emergencies arise (e.g., medevac and/or flights home), there is no issue regarding having taken the risk of traveling without one. (Sorry to disagree with those folks who take that risk but, leaving the US w/o acquiring and carrying a passport is "penny wise and pound foolish.")

Also, when the passports are surrendered to the purser, there's no issue of trying to find the passport in a person's cabin (if it's even there) should s/he miss the ship's departure from any given port. Purser has it and gives it to port agent. Simple. (Passengers have enough to deal with in arranging to catch up with the ship to spend time and energy trying to get a new passport or having someone at home attempt to fedex one left at home for "security(?)".

At the bottom line, the passport requirement makes life easier for both the ship and the passenger.

So, why don't all cruise lines require them? Each additional requirement for travel has the potential to lose paying passengers, particularly on the least expensive lines where folks are sucked in by low cabin fares (only to have their "daily rate" grow steadily as they are nickel/dimed left and right once aboard).

Everyone must decide for themselves what level of risk they are willing/able to assume. Millions travel every year without a passport and without issue. You are of course entitled to your opinion of those of us that travel without a passport, but the law does give US citizens the right to make the choice for themselves.

Everyone must decide for themselves what level of risk they are willing/able to assume. Millions travel every year without a passport and without issue. You are of course entitled to your opinion of those of us that travel without a passport, but the law does give US citizens the right to make the choice for themselves.

....right up until the moment they try to board a ship that requires one (without having it in hand).

....right up until the moment they try to board a ship that requires one (without having it in hand).

It's called due diligence and every traveler needs to do theirs. If they try to board without a required document they have no one to blame but themselves. The information is not hidden.

I have used the passport card for Caribbean cruises while my passport book has been sent off to obtain visas. I also use it on excursions as my government issued ID (I would rather keep my DL safe so I have it to drive home on at the conclusion of a trip) when my passport book is with the Front Office or in my room safe.

We are booked on an Azamara closed loop Caribbean cruise out of Miami and a passport is required. I am not sure if they will collect the passports at embarkation, but have no problem if they do. We have done other Caribbean sailings in the past on premium lines where the passport was collected and we saw the immigration officer on board to retrieve it and clear US immigration. We did receive receipts for the passports, which we turned in to get them back.

It's called due diligence and every traveler needs to do theirs. If they try to board without a required document they have no one to blame but themselves. The information is not hidden.

In the case of Azamara Club Cruises it is clearly stated in the brochure and on the website.

DO I NEED A PASSPORT?

All guests traveling on any voyages starting on or after January 1, 2011 onboard Azamara Journey® and Azamara Quest® are required to carry a passport. We recommend that the passport is valid through six months after the end of the voyage and several countries will require six months validity for entry. Non-U.S. citizens who permanently reside in the United States are also required to carry their Permanent Resident Card (informally known as a Green Card). The name on your cruise line or airline reservation must match the name on your passport and Permanent Resident Card.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country, and may be subject to fines.

In the case of Azamara Club Cruises it is clearly stated in the brochure and on the website.

DO I NEED A PASSPORT?

All guests traveling on any voyages starting on or after January 1, 2011 onboard Azamara Journey® and Azamara Quest® are required to carry a passport. We recommend that the passport is valid through six months after the end of the voyage and several countries will require six months validity for entry. Non-U.S. citizens who permanently reside in the United States are also required to carry their Permanent Resident Card (informally known as a Green Card). The name on your cruise line or airline reservation must match the name on your passport and Permanent Resident Card.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country, and may be subject to fines.

Thanks for the information. I haven't been on Azamara so I looked at their website under Travel Documents. It says:

The Importance of Proper Documents

Getting documents and proof of vaccinations in order is an important task that will make it much easier for you to embark, disembark and move through customs, no matter where your voyage takes you. Guests without appropriate documentation are subject to fines, and can be prevented from boarding airlines or ships, or disembarking in certain ports.

Azamara Club Cruises® requires guests to be personally responsible for bringing aboard all required documents, including passports, visas and proof of vaccinations. Azamara cannot be held responsible for fines, costs, penalties or interrupted or terminated trips due to a lack of proper documentation, nor can we offer refunds to guests who fail to comply with documentation requirements.

Additional resources include travel professionals, government agencies, embassies, consulates, your physician, local health departments, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Department of State General Visa Information (telephone: 1-202-485-7600).

Given that the US only requires a passport card for a RT from Miami to the Caribbean I would have thought I had met the requirements. I did not realize that Azamara is stricter than the US government and their failure to mention it in their discussion of Travel Documents seems a bit misleading to me.

is a passport card acceptable on a bahama cruise from fla. or do i need to bring my big passport

It is acceptable until you have to leave the cruise and fly home or until you have to stay on the island for some reason.

Is there any reason why you would not tkae the real passport. Just take it.

DON

OP.....as you can see this is one of the "3rd tail topics" on this message board. I hope you can wade through all the nonsense back and forth that folks on here seem to engage in whenever this topic comes up. :rolleyes: Bottom line is, for you original question, a card will work just fine.

Thanks for the information. I haven't been on Azamara so I looked at their website under Travel Documents. It says:

The Importance of Proper Documents

Getting documents and proof of vaccinations in order is an important task that will make it much easier for you to embark, disembark and move through customs, no matter where your voyage takes you. Guests without appropriate documentation are subject to fines, and can be prevented from boarding airlines or ships, or disembarking in certain ports.

Azamara Club Cruises[emoji768] requires guests to be personally responsible for bringing aboard all required documents, including passports, visas and proof of vaccinations. Azamara cannot be held responsible for fines, costs, penalties or interrupted or terminated trips due to a lack of proper documentation, nor can we offer refunds to guests who fail to comply with documentation requirements.

Additional resources include travel professionals, government agencies, embassies, consulates, your physician, local health departments, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Department of State General Visa Information (telephone: 1-202-485-7600).

Given that the US only requires a passport card for a RT from Miami to the Caribbean I would have thought I had met the requirements. I did not realize that Azamara is stricter than the US government and their failure to mention it in their discussion of Travel Documents seems a bit misleading to me.

And this is why it is so important that supposedly veteran cruisers stop making blanket statements on CC that passports are not required on closed loop Caribbean cruises leaving from the US.

That requirement, or lack of it, depends on the cruise line as much as it does on the involved governmental agencies.

Want to make sure you've covered all the bases? Get a passport book.