Cruise instead of fly to Disney!

LC253

We live in Seattle & SO want to go to Disneyworld as our next vacation! I just can't imagine taking my kids on that long of an airplane ride (One's a toddler.) We did our first cruise in May, & both children loved it--we ALL did! It would be amazing to CRUISE to Disneyworld!

I'm having trouble finding any cruises from SEA or Vancouver that end up in Florida.

Maybe they don't exist :confused::eek: or maybe I need a fab experienced cruisecritic to help me! :D

I'd like to get there w/o stepping foot on a plane or even some combination that allows a cruise as some of the travel to get there + a flight, although that route may end up being more costly, which I wouldn't want. I may need to talk to a travel agent ultimately, but I've found people here to be more experienced than travel agents in my locale.

((No interest in Disneyland.))

Check out Panama Canal cruises on the different cruise line websites.

Some cruise lines have repositioning cruises that go down the California coast through the Panama Canal ending in Florida.

The timing for what you're looking for would be at the end of the Alaska cruise season - Sept. / Oct.

But then you would have to fly back - or maybe take Amtrak. The next repositioning cruises back to the west coast would probably be at the beginning of the next Alaska season - May.

Many of the cruise lines end of season head of for Asia via Hawaii not through the canal to Florida.

Disney and then cruising does works really well, though. I honestly think you are better just flying to Orlando, enjoying the parks, driving to Port Canavaral or Fort Lauderdale and actually picking a cruise that will suit your family rather than being so port focused. We have done the Panama and it is a great cruise for adults or older children but far less so for toddlers.

The other problem with your present approach is you could end up with a more adult oriented line rather than one with the bells and whistles for children. Not only could you look at the Disney line itself, look at Royal Caribbean, our son loved these ships when he was young. Price wise, main season is over by September meaning you could get a good price to compensate for those airfares! This approach means you can also split your Disney stay....one or two weeks non-stop theme parking is a killer! 6 days, cruise, few more days in Disney, much better for both adults and children.

Children often cope better than we think with flying because it is a new experience and if they know they are going to see Mickey when they get there.....our son travelled long haul from being a toddler, we took stuff to entertain him and he saw the flights as part of the holiday. Load a couple of Disney favourites onto your tablet and you will land before you know it!

Hope you manage to find a suitable cruise.

Holland America's Westerdam will take you from Seattle as far as Fort Lauderdale in 18 nights from September 26, 2015 to October 14, 2015. Earliest return from Fort Lauderdale is April 10, 2016 on the Nieuw Amsterdam makes for a long Disney World visit.

Unfortunately, I think your idea will be cost prohibitive. (unless you have relatives named Bill and Melinda :) )

The costs of a 15 day canal cruise, plus the 15 day return cruise (if they could even be found) would be out of the world.

5 or 6 hour flights with young ones are not that bad. Moms and Dads worry about it way too much. We have flown to S. Florida 3 times and Jamaica once with our 4 year old Grandson. He's been travelling since he was 6 mos old. IPads are miracle workers for entertaining children.

Out of 200 passengers on a plane, there may be 1 or 2 grumpy old farts,, screw them. You paid your money too. The other 198 passengers have been there and done that. (should your child act up a little). We understand, we have empathy, and we may just try to help you out.

And if you're flying to Orlando,,, the flights are jammed with kids anyway. Why is everyone else flying to Orlando??? 80% will be going to the Theme parks or a cruise.

Edited by klfrodo

Why not go to the REAL Disneyland (and California Adventure) in Ansheim CA and then do a coastal cruise back up to Seattle from LA?

Well, they can't do a LA/Seattle cruise - it's against the PVSA.

But they could do a LA/Vancouver cruise. But those don't happen all the time, only basically during "repo season".

And OP said "no interest in Disneyland".

You could get an end of season cruise from Vancouver/Seattle through the Panama Canal to Miami/FLL, although you would still have to get to Orlando to get to DisneyWorld. However, there would not be a cruise the other direction until spring repo cruises back to Alaska. The cruises eastbound would be in Sept. Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and choose Seattle and Vancouver as your departure ports, then start with Sept. Cruises the other way would leave the east coast in April/May and get those nasty flights over at the beginning. Beware, these cruises are usually about 19 days. EM

Princess does a full-transit from Ft. Lauderdale to Vancouver on a couple of different ships (and back again the other way) but as has been explained to you, this only happens at the beginning and end of Alaska season (April westbound and October eastbound). There is no way to do this as a return trip, even if you wanted to pay the fares which are sitting at about $3000/pp for next spring's crossing. You could think about sailing one way and flying or taking the train back the other way. I image it would cost maybe $500 or $600 per flight? (Princess' full-transit itinerary takes 22 days, BTW.)

We do it all the time. Seattle to Orlando, Seattle to Ft Lauderdale, Seattle to Miami, Seattle to San Juan, Seattle to Jamaica. It's just part of living in the far upper left corner of the USA.

We've flown to Disney World 5 times in the past 6 years - love it there. So much more to do than the closer Disneyland. I don't blame you for wanting to go there. It's probably more difficult with kids but if you get the usual lay-over on the way and way back, it'll break it up a bit.

Edited by Sandy Sails

We live in Seattle & SO want to go to Disneyworld as our next vacation! I just can't imagine taking my kids on that long of an airplane ride (One's a toddler.)))

Could you plan the plan trip so you have to take 2 flights with a couple of hours layover between flights. This would give your kids a break halfway through the flight and going to Disney World is not like going on a cruise where you have to worry about missing the boat. Disney World is not moving (LOL).

DON

We live in Seattle & SO want to go to Disneyworld as our next vacation! I just can't imagine taking my kids on that long of an airplane ride (One's a toddler.) We did our first cruise in May, & both children loved it--we ALL did! It would be amazing to CRUISE to Disneyworld!

I'm having trouble finding any cruises from SEA or Vancouver that end up in Florida.

Maybe they don't exist :confused::eek: or maybe I need a fab experienced cruisecritic to help me! :D

I'd like to get there w/o stepping foot on a plane or even some combination that allows a cruise as some of the travel to get there + a flight, although that route may end up being more costly, which I wouldn't want. I may need to talk to a travel agent ultimately, but I've found people here to be more experienced than travel agents in my locale.

((No interest in Disneyland.))

Have you looked at full transit Panama Canal cruises out of Vancouver?