Secrets the Cruise Lines Don't Tell You

MissWriter

They don't tell you that you are likely to spend about 1/2 the cost of your cruise on the "extras" and uncharges! Most 1st timers spend MUCH more than they think they will....it can be quite a surprise.

They don't tell you that you don't NEED excursions to have a good time in port....and you absolutely don't need to book thru the ship!

They don't tell you that the "shopping seminars" are an advertisement for the shops they want you to use. Many will waste a good deal of time attending those.....

They don't tell you "art auctions" are not real "art"....prints you can get anywhere!

you don't have to buy ALL the pics that they take thruout your cruise and that doing so may cost as much as your cruise itself.

Michael

They don't keep unsold photos for very long so if you might want one, buy it now. Unsold photos are destroyed.

They don't tell you that you are likely to spend about 1/2 the cost of your cruise on the "extras" and uncharges!

Wow, I highly disagree. We have spent very little onboard ship on some of our cruises - certainly not half of the cruise price. If a person does not drink alcohol, eat in specialty restaurants, or buy photos or anything in the shops, one could easily spend nothing extra. It's not very likely but it certainly is possible.

Thanks MissWriter. Those of us that have been on several cruises know most, if not all, of these "secrets". Something that would of huge benefit to first-timers, as well as many repeat cruisers, is if people would take time to read the information posted on the "F.A.Q." section of the cruise line's home page. One example: Hardly a week goes by that someone doesn't post a question on here about what to wear to dinner.

Wow, I highly disagree. We have spent very little onboard ship on some of our cruises - certainly not half of the cruise price. If a person does not drink alcohol, eat in specialty restaurants, or buy photos or anything in the shops, one could easily spend nothing extra. It's not very likely but it certainly is possible.

Agree! We've actually had cruises that originated with an OBC that wound up with a credit to us at the end. And even without one and with surcharge restaurants which we enjoy frequently we've never had on board expenses in the amount indicated by cb.

Very misleading.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I have no clue what the point is of starting a thread for no other stated purpose (didn't even say "discuss") than to link to an undated general-knowledge article from the main Cruise Critic site...unless this new member of the boards is the author trolling for a higher click count.

Anyway, like most undated entries there are several facts well out of date (note that oldest entry in comments is February 2013 so most info is 2.5 years old):

1. No longer a fair statement to say "most" lines allow you to bring non-alcoholic beverages onboard given NCL's prohibition, RCI on-paper-but-not-well-enforced prohibition, and Carnival's new severe restrictions.

2. I don't think I have seen a Bible in a cruise stateroom since the last millennium. Given that cruise vacations draw a more diverse group of people than the hotel chains that have also long discarded Bibles I never understood why they were there in the first place.

3. Princess had discontinued the milk-and-cookies cart even before this article was published, with International Cafe offering cookies for the asking 24/7.

4. NCL is no longer "testing" enhanced for-fee room service items; all room service other than continental breakfast must be paid for.

5. Don't know what lines allow discount refills of already-discounted drink-of-the-day anymore; was not offered on my RC cruise last September.

Two and a half years is a lifetime when bumping old information of how things operate onboard. Looking for more corrections from those of you who spot them--I guess that's the real purpose of this thread.

Yep on our cruise, we spent VERY little extra, most of it was one spa treatment for me as I needed a good shave and a haircut anyway. Being vegan helps.

That is so true - it also helps to not be a soda drinker either sticking to coffee / tea / hot chocolate / free water saves alot money!! Also, don't have to pay for bingo to watch bingo. :p There's so many free stuff to do on cruises, that one doesn't have to pay extra for it. :D

Good to bring a nice size spill-proof travel mug or refillable water bottle as well, since the cruise ship cups / mugs are teeny tiny(helps in not having to constantly having to refill it).

1. No longer a fair statement to say "most" lines allow you to bring non-alcoholic beverages onboard given NCL's prohibition. ...

Not sure what prohibition you are referring to since NCL allows you to bring

cases of soda onboard as well as cases of water.

Thanks MissWriter. Those of us that have been on several cruises know most, if not all, of these "secrets". Something that would of huge benefit to first-timers, as well as many repeat cruisers, is if people would take time to read the information posted on the "F.A.Q." section of the cruise line's home page. One example: Hardly a week goes by that someone doesn't post a question on here about what to wear to dinner.

I get amazed too by this. I always go on the line's website to re-read the cruise answer book there (the FAQs) and to read all the info about the ship we're going on, even when repeating the same ship within a couple of years. Many of the answers to the questions (such as how many formal nights) are easily found if you read the FAQs.

I'm not sure when the article was written (couldn't find a date on it) and as said above, many rules, guidelines and tips can become obsolete. So just take the list as more of guidelines but not gospel.

One of the items listed -- about sea sickness remedies -- I would be proactive about and and figure out before the cruise. By the time you get sea sick (if you do), you're going to be miserable before that green apple or glass of ginger ale helps. If you're on medications, talk to your doctor to see what won't interfere with your prescription. Else try out various remedies ahead of time. If an OTC makes you fall asleep (like me), then you'll want to move on, right? Bring a few things that don't give you side effects and start using them before your cruise.

I get amazed too by this. I always go on the line's website to re-read the cruise answer book there (the FAQs) and to read all the info about the ship we're going on' date=' even when repeating the same ship within a couple of years. Many of the answers to the questions (such as how many formal nights) are easily found if you read the FAQs.[/quote']

Or by reading posts on here! :p

I am always especially bemused by the very vague "does anybody have any hints or tips?" (yes, do some reading on the cruise line, ship and ports and come back if you have a specific question) and the last minute questions about things I would have researched long ago and even often before booking: "We leave tomorrow - what should I pack/how do I pay for things on board/what is there for me or my kids to do on board?"

Before I even booked our first cruise I went back through at least the previous 5 or 10 pages on the relevant boards and gained a huge amount of info including a lot of things I didn't know I didn't know and so wouldn't have even thought to ask about.

But then again, I'm a planner and a researcher and though I don't understand the mindset, I'd rather people ask vague, last-minute questions than none at all and then complain afterwards because their expectations vs reality were never going to match.

I haven't been on a cruise yet where one of the sit down restaurants isn't opened. Staff always try and funnel guests to the buffet. I always download a map of the ship & head to main dining room ☺. I've read lots of reviews on here where people are complaining that there's no where to eat!

I have no clue what the point is of starting a thread for no other stated purpose (didn't even say "discuss") than to link to an undated general-knowledge article from the main Cruise Critic site...unless this new member of the boards is the author trolling for a higher click count.

I don't believe OP is the author of this thread. I wouldn't bump up an outdated article, it would be embarrassing.

Or by reading posts on here! :p

I am always especially bemused by the very vague "does anybody have any hints or tips?" (yes, do some reading on the cruise line, ship and ports and come back if you have a specific question) and the last minute questions about things I would have researched long ago and even often before booking: "We leave tomorrow - what should I pack/how do I pay for things on board/what is there for me or my kids to do on board?"

Before I even booked our first cruise I went back through at least the previous 5 or 10 pages on the relevant boards and gained a huge amount of info including a lot of things I didn't know I didn't know and so wouldn't have even thought to ask about.

But then again, I'm a planner and a researcher and though I don't understand the mindset, I'd rather people ask vague, last-minute questions than none at all and then complain afterwards because their expectations vs reality were never going to match.

I did have a guide for my first cruise (hubby, then bf, had already been on a cruise), but we went over the pamphlet that we were sent with the cruise docs (shows you how long ago that was). Didn't hear of this site (I think it was originally an AOL one) until doing a search just after we booked my 9th cruise. So I know it's possible to find out info about cruising and one's upcoming cruise very easily.

What I get amazed with is that some people will get on a ship not knowing that the main dining room food is included. Yes, I've seen one or two people join CC to complain after their first cruise about having to eat in the buffet. Wouldn't they have asked about the MDRs when they see them?

• 3 weeks later...
They don't tell you that you are likely to spend about 1/2 the cost of your cruise on the "extras" and uncharges! Most 1st timers spend MUCH more than they think they will....it can be quite a surprise.

They don't tell you that you don't NEED excursions to have a good time in port....and you absolutely don't need to book thru the ship!

They don't tell you that the "shopping seminars" are an advertisement for the shops they want you to use. Many will waste a good deal of time attending those.....

They don't tell you "art auctions" are not real "art"....prints you can get anywhere!

20 year anniversary cruise. Still had kids at home so a tight budget. We prepaid gratuitous and so we only spent $68 onboard. And that was not even necessary really. Bought a few drinks. We had the most wonderful time of our lives! You don't have to spend money onboard.