How do I go about to bring my little dog with me?

snorkelman

all those wondering what a chiweenie is.... I am here to inform you: evil creatures they are!

Zoya the Weenie

PS: great thread, had some fun reading it.

PPS: a service fish might be the best type of pet to travel with. :D

zoya.jpg.bac7821d1e82ffb0728be4d12b58ee5e.jpg

LOL & then LOL again.

But, is he as clever as Skippy?? (The bush kangaroo)

OK, perhaps only funny to Australians over 45-ish......

Or those with access to the show. Thanks, made me laugh! :)

IMHO Skippy is way cooler than Lassie!

Was that the 8-30-2015 FR cruise? I saw a woman on that FR cruise.

The dog in the stroller and dressed in outfits was on the August 23 Freedom.

I saw (on FB) there was another small lap the dog on the 30th.

I have to assume these dogs are providing a service for the passenger.

M

FIFY :D

I am not surprised. Remember the outrage around here a few years ago about "Ralphie"? Thats not a service dog :( and "comfort" dogs are not recognized under the ADA so Royal does NOT have to let them board but they do. People just abusing the system is all to bring their pets with them and Royal Caribbean really cant/wont do much about it. Sad.

Ryano

I wanted to let you know that quote in your post number 30 is not what I wrote on cruise critic. If you look back at post 27 he will see that I use the words "service dog" in my comments and never use the word "pet." Someone quoted me and change the words. It seems that that particular post has been removed.

What struck me so funny, is that the service dog I mentioned was in the stroller, in an outfit, and was picked up so anyone could hold it. Most of the other service dogs I've seen on ships or on land, are not handle in such a way.

Many people use a service animals, and I would never degrade their purpose by calling their service animal a pet.

Thanks for your understanding.

Marci

The dog in the stroller and dressed in outfits was on the August 23 Freedom.

I saw (on FB) there was another small lap the dog on the 30th.

I have to assume these dogs are providing a service for the passenger.

M

I don't recall anyone posting any pictures of the little bugger

No, they dont :)

The OP is just stirring the pot here anyway :)

I was thinking that too, but the PC-BS lately you never know. After my back surgery, I was walking the malls for exercise with my walker when a woman with a yorkie wearing a vest that looked homemade and said SERVICE ANIMAL on it wrapped itself around my leg and the walker leg. When I seemed displeased with the lady over it she told me it was her husband's emotional support animal and he had survived a IED attach in Baghdad. All well and good, but husband was no where around. If that mutt had any training it was to go on paper and that was it.

They're a really interesting breed. You wet them down and cover them with seeds, and as long as you keep them watered in about two weeks they turn into a full sized chia wawa :D

:) my wiener is offended at the prospect :)

I do not have any visible disability, such as needing a wheelchair.

I have a chiweenie that is a great comfort to me. If I have a disability and the dog is used as a means to treat my disability can I bring the little fellow with me? I can buy a service dog vest if that helps.

Is a chiweenie a dog???

In all seriousness, all the cruise lines need to enact some strict policies on these BS "service animals." Some of have allergies to dogs, and certainly no one wants to hear your little dog yapping all day and night. The burden of proof needs to be on the one wanting to bring their animal on board that they have a real disability and that the animal performs a specific task to help with that disability. And, no, providing "comfort" does not count.

The day I see (or hear) a yippy little ankle biter on my cruise is the day I get locked in the brig after making said ankle biter shark food.

I have a chiweenie that is a great comfort to me. If I have a disability and the dog is used as a means to treat my disability can I bring the little fellow with me? I can buy a service dog vest if that helps.

I asked my friend working for RCCL and got this reply from their official knowledge base.

---------------

Emotional Support Dogs: Emotional Support Dogs Policy (only applies on sailings to and from the U.S.): Emotional support dogs are dogs that by their presence assist individuals with mental health disabilities in coping with the effects of their disabilities. Emotional support dogs may not necessarily be trained.

Current documentation (no more than one year old) on the letterhead of a licensed mental health professional is required, e.g. psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, including a medical doctor specifically treating the guest’s mental or emotional disability.

The letter must state the following information:

Guest has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders – Fourth Edition (DSM IV)

Guest needs the emotional support animal as an accommodation for the voyage

The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional, and the guest is under his or her professional care

The date and type of mental health professional’s license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.

Note: Emotional support animals other than dogs are handled using animals other than dogs procedures.

-------------

I hope this clarifies your request.

Good luck and happy sailing :)

In all seriousness, all the cruise lines need to enact some strict policies on these BS "service animals." Some of have allergies to dogs, and certainly no one wants to hear your little dog yapping all day and night. The burden of proof needs to be on the one wanting to bring their animal on board that they have a real disability and that the animal performs a specific task to help with that disability. And, no, providing "comfort" does not count.

The day I see (or hear) a yippy little ankle biter on my cruise is the day I get locked in the brig after making said ankle biter shark food.

The way it stands now, based the laws on the books, no such policies could be put in place. I love my dog and miss her while I am away but I agree with you on the quality of life thing while on vacation. Having said that, I appreciate the laws as they are on the books. My son has Aspergers and he has not really been told that he has it. I appreciate the fact that I do not have to explain things to anyone, that I all I have to say is "we need accommodations". The issue isn't with the law, its with the people taking advantage.... Which is always the case, ain't it.....

The way it stands now, based the laws on the books, no such policies could be put in place. I love my dog and miss her while I am away but I agree with you on the quality of life thing while on vacation. Having said that, I appreciate the laws as they are on the books. My son has Aspergers and he has not really been told that he has it. I appreciate the fact that I do not have to explain things to anyone, that I all I have to say is "we need accommodations". The issue isn't with the law, its with the people taking advantage.... Which is always the case, ain't it.....

I think there certainly are some things they can do. The ADA has specific requirements, and a service animal is only allowed if it does a specific task.

Sure, it is the people taking advantage that are the problem, but how else do you stop them?

If you are unable to tolerate a week at sea without your pet, a cruise vacation is not for you. I don't get why that is so hard.

If the pup is that small, place it in a Rum Runner. The worst that can happen is that you'll get called to the Naughty Room for bringing onboard some Dog Gone Liquor.

I was on the Navigator a while back & there was a woman who brought her small dog onboard. I was shocked! She showed no physical signs of a disabillity & what was the most rediculous thing was that everytime I saw this lady on the ship, she was being followed by a Royal Caribbean staff member CARRYING the dog! Talk about pompus.

I think there certainly are some things they can do. The ADA has specific requirements, and a service animal is only allowed if it does a specific task.

Sure, it is the people taking advantage that are the problem, but how else do you stop them?

If you are unable to tolerate a week at sea without your pet, a cruise vacation is not for you. I don't get why that is so hard.

AGREED! Just think - sometimes your pet needs a vacation from YOU!

The problem is with ADA rules. If a passenger says, "This is my service dog," then the cruise line must accommodate it with no questions asked. They cannot inquire about the nature of the disability, the dog's training/credentials or anything. If they do, the passenger can use the power of the ADA as backed by the US government to sue and collect damages.

I can understand the reasoning behind in this because the passenger's disability might be embarrassing, or, the passenger may not even realize there is a disability. However, for the ADA to not have made a provision for service dogs to have some sort of official training and registration is wrong. I can't plug a $2 night light into an electrical outlet unless it has been tested and UL certified, but anyone with a dog can bring it anywhere they want just by calling it a "service animal". Personally, if I were disabled and required a service animal, I'd want to have some sort of official certification for it as a protection for me and my fellow passengers.