24 Hour Courtesy Hold - Gone?

yogimax

Wait till they make deposits non refundable

Yeah I'm waiting for that. I just cancelled a cruise and I looked to make sure there was no penalty. I'm waiting for them to sneak that in, and then tell people that they will decide if it is refundable "on a case by case basis".

Someone asked this question on Royal's Facebook page and the Royal representative responded that there would be no more courtesy holds for Caribbean cruises. No explanation was provided at the time I read this last night.

yep, just tried a Southern Caribbean booking and the courtesy hold popped up then vanished.

Someone asked this question on Royal's Facebook page and the Royal representative responded that there would be no more courtesy holds for Caribbean cruises. No explanation was provided at the time I read this last night.

Maybe it will be that way in the future, but it still works for me in US based voyages.

Maybe those with problems over use the button and have lost the privledge. ;)

Just kidding

Maybe those with problems over use the button and have lost the privledge. ;)

Just kidding

That is possible, as I do overuse that button.

ps It worked for me for Alaska, but not Southern Caribbean. So I guess that's not it.

Edited by marci22

No superpowers for me. :(

Safari and Chrome on iPad Air 2 - no hold on any Caribbean cruises I tried, including Allure 2-day November. I can get the hold for New England/Canada, Alaska and European cruises.

If it is indeed intentional to no longer allow holds for Caribbean cruises, as brfan reported a Royal rep posting on Facebook, what purpose would it possibly serve??!! :confused::mad:

~ Judy

Maybe each one of us only gets so many "Holds" in a lifetime, and I still have some left.;)

They are kind of useless anyway. I've used them twice to grab a cabin the day before a cruise hoping that the FCC could convert it onboard. No luck, I had to release it in order for her to book it. Same with TA over phone.

If it is indeed intentional to no longer allow holds for Caribbean cruises, as brfan reported a Royal rep posting on Facebook, what purpose would it possibly serve??!!...

It would fall under Royal's department of Maximum Annoyance to Loyal Guests.

from the site we cannot mention:

Royal Caribbean International- Hi Laura. Unfortunately, we will no longer be offering courtesy holds for Caribbean sailings.

21 hrs

Laura- This is a major inconvenience for seasoned cruisers like me who like to put a cabin on hold until my TA is available to grab it. Already, last night, I had to call another TA at my travel agency & beg them to put a cabin on hold for me untl my TA is in the office this morning...more work for them. It was a situation where I was waiting for a cabin for 3 people to free up & I needed to nab it before someone else did. This is going to cause a lot of problems & inconvenience for a lot of people!

1 hr

They are kind of useless anyway. I've used them twice to grab a cabin the day before a cruise hoping that the FCC could convert it onboard. No luck, I had to release it in order for her to book it. Same with TA over phone.

I, on the other hand, am one of those who probably used up their lifetime allowance of holds. :o

It would fall under Royal's department of Maximum Annoyance to Loyal Guests.

LOL. :D

~ Judy

I had a courtesy hold booking and a certified vacation planner followed up with me to complete the reservation. I was offered incentives such as a $250 reduced deposit on a suite and sail away gifts to seal the deal. Neither was part of a promotion being offered by RC at the time. The deposit made the difference in me booking at that moment.

I have also used the courtesy hold option to hold a cabin and rate when my TA was closed. Could this lack of an option negatively effect smaller TA that are not open late or 24hours? I would hate to miss out on a cabin I wanted or a reduced rate because my TA was closed. Going forward booking direct might be the best option. As 24 hour TA tend to have bogus fees I won't pay such as a processing fee, cancellation fee, change fee, etc.

from the site we cannot mention:

Royal Caribbean International- Hi Laura. Unfortunately, we will no longer be offering courtesy holds for Caribbean sailings.

21 hrs

Laura- This is a major inconvenience for seasoned cruisers like me who like to put a cabin on hold until my TA is available to grab it. Already, last night, I had to call another TA at my travel agency & beg them to put a cabin on hold for me untl my TA is in the office this morning...more work for them. It was a situation where I was waiting for a cabin for 3 people to free up & I needed to nab it before someone else did. This is going to cause a lot of problems & inconvenience for a lot of people!

1 hr

I saw that as well. And that comes from their "official" page not the blog page.

I had a courtesy hold booking and a certified vacation planner followed up with me to complete the reservation. I was offered incentives such as a $250 reduced deposit on a suite and sail away gifts to seal the deal. Neither was part of a promotion being offered by RC at the time. The deposit made the difference in me booking at that moment.

I have also used the courtesy hold option to hold a cabin and rate when my TA was closed. Could this lack of an option negatively effect smaller TA that are not open late or 24hours? I would hate to miss out on a cabin I wanted or a reduced rate because my TA was closed. Going forward booking direct might be the best option. As 24 hour TA tend to have bogus fees I won't pay such as a processing fee, cancellation fee, change fee, etc.

Why not just book through website and transfer to TA when convenient. Just curious, when you use hold and contact TA next day, can they access the hold or do you need to release it first

I used it 2 weeks ago to rebook my Miami cruise in Nov.

Had a cruise booked in USD. Saw a better deal in CAD, put a courtesy hold on it. Then called up RCI. They cancelled the original booking and turned my courtesy hold into a booking.

Was very smooth and easy. Not sure why they would do away with that...and only for Caribbean cruises?!