What are your views on towel deposits???

Tudorcruisers

... we saw passengers leaving their towels in the rubbish bins at the beach rather than take them back to the ship !!

Those idiots would pay for the towels because their cabin attendant would notice them missing and ask (or the butler would ask) what was what.

I have never heard of anyone tossing out towels from a ship... stealing them maybe.... :p

No towel hassles is another often overlooked nice thing about Celebrity IMHO.

IMG_2409-e1390483413595-1024x670.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

We too noticed people dumping towels at the Beach in Ajaccio this summer on our Equinox cruise. We saw 3 different sandy towel piles (maybe 5 in each) near the walls and the Aida passengers in with us were saying how awful it was.

A charge would be a pain but its such a waste when some passengers do this.

I've never seen passengers tossing Celebrity beach towels in the trash. This is a first. If the towels were provided by the cabin steward and not returned, Celebrity reserves the right to charge for them. If they were taken from the pool deck well all I can say is this is boorish behavior but there is no accounting for taste or manners.

Those idiots would pay for the towels because their cabin attendant would notice them missing and ask (or the butler would ask) what was what.

I have never heard of anyone tossing out towels from a ship... stealing them maybe.... :p

No towel hassles is another often overlooked nice thing about Celebrity IMHO.

Now that's nickel and dimming.

But please don't give them (any line) more ideas how to hit us.

For those inconsiderate passengers who would throw away a towel at the beach vs carrying a sandy towel back to ship, I suspect if a fee was imposed would either pay fee or steal someone's else towel once back onboard ship.

My guess too is that they most likely do not brush their teeth, flush the toilet, wash their hands after using the toilet, pick their nose, touch food and then put back on buffets, save pool chairs, ask for extra food and don't eat it, push to get to front of line to get free stuff, etc.

But then I could be wrong.

But then again, we are talking about passenger cliente who sail Celebrity, not low rent cruise lines aren't we?!

My guess too is that they most likely do not wash their hands after using the toilet, pick their nose, touch food and then put back on buffets, save pool chairs, ask for extra food and don't eat it, push to get to front of line to get free stuff, etc.

But then I could be wrong.

But then again, we are talking about passenger cliente who sail Celebrity, not low rent cruise lines aren't we?!

Unfortunately we saw low to high degrees of the above on our Celebrity cruise this summer :(. We also saw inconsiderate parents and kids in the pool area.

I suppose they could have a one towel rule per cruise, if yours is gone its gone but it would be hard to police and people would take bath towels ashore.

Now that's nickel and dimming.

But please don't give them (any line) more ideas how to hit us.

I can guarantee you that every Celebrity cruise I have ever taken when I vacate the cabin I leave no iron or coffee pot ever! :p

And I have Never been charged.

Edited by A Sixth?

I can guarantee you that every Celebrity cruise I have ever taken when I vacate the cabin I leave no iron or coffee pot ever! :p

And I have Never been charged.

I thought they were rental fees.

But have to admit I never leave a those items either;)

I am not suggesting deposits or such on towels. However, I do know from another cruise line the beach towel loss is much higher than one might think. I do not remember the numbers, but I was shocked at the difference in the numbers put out for taking near the ship's exit and the number returned. When feasible they do send out a crew "search party", but that only works where there is one beach near the ship where most go to swim.

While the cost of the loss from one beach day might seem insignificant, remembering the number of ships and the number of beach days it can really add up.

At one beach, as I was returning to the ship I personally picked up a number of abandoned towels to return to the bins at the pier. (That line has a specific color of BEACH towels so they are easy to spot.) They have three colors - white for cabins, another color for the pool areas and a third for the towels you pick-up for the beaches.

I wonder if the word 'purchased' in English has the same meaning in the North American languages ?

You know X sells beach towels, right? You can ask your cabin attendant to charge you for one then take the one left in your room.

Edited by gergles

When we last cruises on Royal Caribbean, it was for both.

Thank you. We have a cruise scheduled on the Silhouette, but our previous experience was on Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Silversea, and Seabourn. HAL issues an off-ship beach towel to each person in a stateroom, but there aren't any restrictions on pool towels. Pool towels are a completely different color.

Then again, I can't think of any time that we spotted chair hogs since we were on the Explorer of the Seas more than a decade ago.

Edited by POA1

About 5 years ago on a Summit repositioning cruise from Bayonne to San Jaun the pool attendant was having you provide your cabin number for pool towels. When I asked about it he said they had lost over 2000 towels during the prior Bermuda season. Have never seen this again.

Thank you. We have a cruise scheduled on the Silhouette, but our previous experience was on Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Silversea, and Seabourn. HAL issues an off-ship beach towel to each person in a stateroom, but there aren't any restrictions on pool towels. Pool towels are a completely different color.

Then again, I can't think of any time that we spotted chair hogs since we were on the Explorer of the Seas more than a decade ago.

There were no towel checkouts or deposits when I was on the Silhouette. One beach towel per person was left in your cabin before beach days, with a card that you'd be charged if it wasn't back in your cabin, but this wasn't enforced (I returned the beach towel to a towel bin by the pool and didn't read the card until afterwards, but wasn't charged) -- there are abundant amounts of pool towels that you can just take near all the pools.

There were no towel checkouts or deposits when I was on the Silhouette. One beach towel per person was left in your cabin before beach days, with a card that you'd be charged if it wasn't back in your cabin, but this wasn't enforced (I returned the beach towel to a towel bin by the pool and didn't read the card until afterwards, but wasn't charged) -- there are abundant amounts of pool towels that you can just take near all the pools.

Thanks. We haven't experienced towel deposits on land or by sea, which is why I was confused. I can see why a cruise line would want to enforce accountability if guests took towels off the ship, but I was confused about pool towels.

Please note that we always return our towels. We're not part of any of that terrycloth gang lawlessness. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
How could this possibly work? Some idiot would sign atowel(s) out with some other cabin number!:(

They did it on MSC . On you way out they had table with towels ,they swipe your card and give you as many as you need. On way back you just drop it in been near ship.

I have never seen anyone throwing their towels away rather than bringing them back to the ship. Celebrity attracts a higher class of passengers than that. If there are, then those are the type of people who will steal books, towels, etc. I think they are rare on the this cruiseline.