A couple of questions I should have asked while onboard.

Cruise_More_Often

Now that I'm back, I have a couple of questions.

Is there a TV channel you can turn to to hear announcements inside your cabin? While lounging on the balcony one afternoon, I could hear the captain making an afternoon announcement, but I couldn't hear it very well. This one sounded important, but by the time I got up, ran across the room to open the cabin door, he was signing off. I noticed lots of people standing by their open doors listening to these announcements.

Do you tip the fellow who isn't a server but who comes around to your table to ask you how everything is? Our friends said no, but I'm not sure. Who is he, by the way?

I know I should have asked these questions onboard, but you know how you get involved in things and just forget?

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

Do you tip the fellow who isn't a server but who comes around to your table to ask you how everything is? Our friends said no, but I'm not sure. Who is he, by the way?

I know I should have asked these questions onboard, but you know how you get involved in things and just forget?

He is likely the Maitre 'd or an assistant. If all he does is ask if everything OK, I do not tip. If he actually does something like fix a problem, then a tip might be in order.

Is there a TV channel you can turn to to hear announcements inside your cabin? While lounging on the balcony one afternoon, I could hear the captain making an afternoon announcement, but I couldn't hear it very well. This one sounded important, but by the time I got up, ran across the room to open the cabin door, he was signing off. I noticed lots of people standing by their open doors listening to these announcements.

Yes there is a channel on the TV to hear announcements and stuff.

You can flip and find it. The one with the ship on it I believe showing the scenery.

I flipped and assure you the announcements were on none of the channels - Maasdam August 15 - 29, 2015.

that's strange - they were on the TV when we were on the Maasdam and definitely when we were on the Westerdam.

We usually hear the announcements on channel with the bow camera.

thanks - that's the station I couldn't describe properly.

On the Zaandam and Volendam (don't know about Amsterdam and Rotterdam) there is a dial on the headboard with several selections. One of the selections gives you the announcements. This does not exist on the other classes of ships.

Is there a TV channel you can turn to to hear announcements inside your cabin? QUOTE]

There is usually a switch by the headboards that turns on the announcements in the cabin. It is often clustered by the light switches.

While that might be true on some of the older ships I've never seen anything like that on the vista or signature ships.

He is the assistant dining room manager or, in open seating, the As You Wish Dining Host. We appreciate their care and attention. We do not tip...I don't think it would be exactly appropriate. I always mention him by name on a comment card turned in to the front office during the cruise, then mention him in the follow up letter I always write to HAL at the end of the cruise.

It lets HAL know you like having someone come around to see how everything is.

Karen

Edited by Loreto
correction

He is the assistant dining room manager or, in open seating, the As You Wish Dining Host. We appreciate their care and attention. We do not tip...I don't think it would be exactly appropriate. I always mention him by name on a comment card turned in to the front office during the cruise, then mention him in the follow up letter I always write to HAL at the end of the cruise.

It lets HAL know you like having someone come around to see how everything is.

Karen

This is exactly how we feel and what we do too. :)

It would be really nice if the default channel that you got, when you turned on the television, was the announcement channel. Although I must admit that the old PA switch by the bed was much better.

He is the Maitre 'd. He is management and is salaried. Management does not get tipped.

DON

On numerous HAL ships I have always been able to find a way to hear the announcements in my cabin - but methods vary. I just experiment. However, I also agree that sometimes it is just easier to open the door to the hall - IF I can get there in time.

One thing, it is my understanding (maybe someone else know more) on all of the ships there is an override that the Captain can use for emergency announcements. I have heard this happen on several cruises where there was a problem we needed to know about (like why the emergency alarm/announcement happened) and to let us know it was NOT a drill.