Update about the Baby Born of Independence

AARONCOOL

Hey guys,

I've read many forums, but I've never posted here before until now. I just got off the Independence this morning and had to do a search about the Baby born last week. The main thread about it is closed.

We had a Q&A session with the captain on Saturday morning at 10 AM. Someone asked about the baby and he confirmed that the baby is "well".

He also said the birth certificate officially says "born at sea".

I know everyone already new that part, but what no one in the thread knew is that the Birth Certificate OFFICIALLY is issued by the Bahamian government. He said that the people were from Colorado (if I remember right?), and the Baby will be a US citizen.

Anyways, I saw a lot of chatter with people wondering which country would issue the birth certificate. I just wanted to let everyone know what the Captain told us yesterday.

I'd still love to know how premature the baby was and if the parents weren't honest about how far along she was before boarding. It's curiosity but it also shows that not asking for proof can lead to more incidents like this.

Edited by BND

I know everyone already new that part, but what no one in the thread knew is that the Birth Certificate OFFICIALLY is issued by the Bahamian government.

I have a feeling they'll get a US one as well, otherwise the parents will have to travel back to the US Embassy in Nassau and file a report of a birth abroad to get the baby official US citizenship. Actually, it would be interesting to know how the baby got into the US without any paperwork.

We didn't clear customs when we stopped in San Juan that day for the port stop there. We left Ft. Lauderdale two days earlier and never visited a foreign port yet. Customs must have reasoned there was no need for them to be there.

I think the rule is something like you need to go through US immigration (not customs — that's on return to the original US port) on your first stop to a US port after having visited a foreign port and if there are no other foreign ports before returning to your original US port.

Hey guys,

I've read many forums, but I've never posted here before until now. I just got off the Independence this morning and had to do a search about the Baby born last week. The main thread about it is closed.

We had a Q&A session with the captain on Saturday morning at 10 AM. Someone asked about the baby and he confirmed that the baby is "well".

Of course we all hope the baby is well, but "the passenger is well" is the standard RCCL response. Privacy laws would prohibit any ship employee from disclosing medical information on a passenger - or former passenger.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I had a friend who did not show. Only had occasional periods all her life and did not know she was pregnant until she had her 4 lbs 6 oz baby boy after she began throwing up for no reason the day before she had him. She was as surprised as everyone else. Tests showed the baby to have been 36-37 wks.

I took her to the hospital because of the throwing up. When they listened to her stomach they discovered the pregnancy. Kept her in hospital to run tests to see how far along when she went into labour and delivered him.

Edited by CaptData

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - thanks for posting that. We had friends who had twins at 24 weeks, it was a harrowing time at the start but we celebrated their 18th birthday last month and both of them will be going to University next year.

I hope all the people who came on here calling the family cheats and liars - particularly the people who insisted they saw the mother and she was definitely almost full term - come back and read this and eat their words

Edited by Bobal

The news article in ksl.com as quoted above says

"Emily and the medical team spent the night keeping Haiden covered up and warm. The next morning, the ship's captain, who was originally told the baby had died, called and spoke to Emily. "And I was sitting with the baby and he could hear the baby crying," Emily said. "And he said, 'Wait a minute, he's alive?' And I said, 'He is.' He said we are going as fast as we can and we'll port two hours early in San Juan and we'll get you guys to the hospital, but he said that's as fast as I can get you there."

Does that mean there was a total communication break-down between the medical staff and the captain (nautical crew)?

That baby is back in Utah and according to the news, doing well.

The linked story says they're hoping to return to Utah in a month.

Haiden will continue treatment at a Miami hospital until his condition stabilizes. The Morgans are hoping to return to Utah in about a month. Haiden will likely stay at Primary Children's Hospital until December — the month he was supposed to be born.

I'm actually pissed for that family that they were told the baby died and then 45 minutes later told he was still alive but going to die. And to be denied the ability to see my newborn baby?! I can't believe people would do that to them. They would've probably been out cold on the floor after my husband got done with them if they treated me like that.

Then the absolute lack of communication between crew and captain? Horrible.

I'm so glad to hear the baby is doing ok now. Regardless of whether or not people think the family lied about how far along she was or anything else, no one deserves to be treated with the disrespect that family was shown.

I also just saw that the baby was 15 weeks early, so she was 25 weeks which is past the cutoff. As I said above, now that they don't require a Dr's note stating how far along, how often are we going to see this happen?

BND, Please find something else to do. You are trying to stir the pot here...Perhaps you could just be happy for that family.

LOL That is borderline rude. I asked a completely logical question about something that happened that didn't have to.

BTW, you need to learn what "stirring the pot" really means. I also think you should take your own advice.

Edited by BND

Great news that this little trooper is doing well! I think what made the biggest difference between this case and a lot of preemie births is that his lungs were fully developed. This often isn't the case with preemies, and especially not with micro-preemies. So glad that the family is doing well. It is a little disturbing hearing all of the confusion immediately following his birth, especially considering how frightened mom and dad must've been knowing he was born so prematurely. It does seem weird that the Captain wasn't kept in the loop, especially with this being such a rare situation and with the need for immediate medical intervention beyond what the ship could offer. But in any case, great to hear that his decision to port in San Juan help save that little boy.

I also just saw that the baby was 15 weeks early, so she was 25 weeks which is past the cutoff. As I said above, now that they don't require a Dr's note stating how far along, how often are we going to see this happen?

A pregnancy is considered full-term at 38 weeks, so perhaps she was 23 weeks pregnant, which is still within the acceptable parameters.

I'm actually pissed for that family that they were told the baby died and then 45 minutes later told he was still alive but going to die. And to be denied the ability to see my newborn baby?! I can't believe people would do that to them. They would've probably been out cold on the floor after my husband got done with them if they treated me like that.

Then the absolute lack of communication between crew and captain? Horrible.

I'm so glad to hear the baby is doing ok now. Regardless of whether or not people think the family lied about how far along she was or anything else, no one deserves to be treated with the disrespect that family was shown.

I TOTALLY agree with you. Why would they tell the parents the baby didn't make it? Perhaps they were trying to work on the baby, but they could have just said that.

ALSO, the captain should have been notified AS SOON as the baby was delivered alive. Who knows how many more precious hours/minutes could have been saved if he had known earlier and was doing max speed all the way to San Juan.

RCCL is lucky that this story had a good outcome. Had the outcome been different, the lack of communication between the medical staff and the bridge could have been seen as a cause of the poor outcome.

I hope all the people who came on here calling the family cheats and liars - ... come back and read this and eat their words

But they almost certainly WERE liars. You cannot be 23 weeks and any days to board. (can't enter the 24th week, and that's 23 weeks x days)

A pregnancy is considered full-term at 38 weeks, so perhaps she was 23 weeks pregnant, which is still within the acceptable parameters.

People generally call it full term at that mark when they are excusing plans to kick the baby out early. When saying the baby was x weeks early, they are almost certainly going from 40 weeks.

And a 23 week baby surviving in that situation and being able to be moved across the country so soon? No. A friend's baby was born at around 25 weeks, under 2 lbs, and he was doing AMAZINGLY well, but they still kept him in place, at the NICU, for nearly 2 months.

Some babies do well coming out early, other babies would not survive (my husband was born at 44 weeks and was under 9lbs...my son was rudely booted at 42 weeks 3 days and had signs of prematurity...both had rock solid dates). But 23 weeks, on a cruiseship, with hours of delay to get to any sort of hospital? Nah. That was no 23 week baby.