Somewhat live from the Westerdam

frankc98376

I believe we did go past jaw point. To be totally honest at that time we were at the Sea View Bar with new friends deciding if we liked the blue drink of the day. Of course like any research we needed many test samples to have an accurate evaluation. When the new bartender came on either we had had too many or they indeed turned into green drinks. We'll never know which it was. Nevertheless, we all decided that they were very good and we'd all have them again.

Glacier Bay was in her full glory- lots of calving. Was VERY cold up to entering the bay but was pleasant in there due to winds blocked. We started with starboard side then swung around for Port.

Quiet night on board- we were cruising very slowly and from about 7 was a bit rocky. I know heading out and into Sitka can be bumpy. Another great dinner in the PG with Clifford and Rochelle our wine steward. PG Manager Tim is an ultimate professional and a great guy. He neglects nobody and is constantly moving from table to table and the door to greet new guests. He has the gift of making each guest feel like they are the only people there.

We anchored at Sitka around 6 am this morning and see tenders doing synchronized maneuvers practicing their docking skills. We will head down to PG for breakfast then head into town to do a bit of shopping.

I keep meaning to mention the shower in the NS. Is it me or am I the only one to think that the shallower stalls were designed for children or very small adults. I'm not a huge guy and I'm constantly bumping into the sides. Something with the ventilation and air exhaust always causes the curtain to blow into the shower and try to wrap around me. As usual I used the stall the first morning and switched to the shower in the tub from then on.

I keep meaning to mention the shower in the NS. Is it me or am I the only one to think that the shallower stalls were designed for children or very small adults. I'm not a huge guy and I'm constantly bumping into the sides. Something with the ventilation and air exhaust always causes the curtain to blow into the shower and try to wrap around me. As usual I used the stall the first morning and switched to the shower in the tub from then on.

Not just you. My wife, my DSIL & DBIL and I all switched to the tub because we couldn't figure out how to keep the floor from getting wet using the shower stall.

Not just you. My wife, my DSIL & DBIL and I all switched to the tub because we couldn't figure out how to keep the floor from getting wet using the shower stall.

Absolutely. We have always found those showers to be useless other than to hang up my shirts or pants and steam them up a bit to get the wrinkles out while using the tub shower. ;)

Absolutely. We have always found those showers to be useless other than to hang up my shirts or pants and steam them up a bit to get the wrinkles out while using the tub shower. ;)

That's probably why the Koningsdam went to shower doors. Hopefully that will be better. I think that the lack of a lip or deeper sill on the shower stall are the problem. The heat and steam from the water make the curtain puff out at the bottom.

Went into Sitka early and came back to the ship while the crowds were ashore.

Korean food in the Asian section of the Lido and very few people so we actually got our food from Lido and ate out be the Sea View. Normally all I usually eat from Lido is salad- never seems to be a crowd at the salad bar.

Tendering this morning was different. Evidently no more priority tendering for suite guests- another one they should take off of the "benefits". Everyone basically was heading to the A deck. No one down there cared about tickets or room cards. Signs at stairway on Main deck directed all to A deck. In the past all went to Vista lounge and were given tender tickets- were called in groups and taken down. NS passengers always were able to go straight to the A deck and show room key. Pretty much pandemonium down there this morning- line snaking everywhere. Heard no announcements as I have in the past.

Tonight is Le Cirque- always look forward to the food.

A tip for those sending laundry down on the ship. White socks are not a good thing to send in- they come back closer to the color of the ship's hull. We now have 4 or 5 pair of blue-grey socks that were bright and white when the left.

That's annoying when they don't have priority tendering. They do the same thing at hmc because they "claim" the tenders are big enough to handle the crowds. It just ends up being a hot mess with people everywhere.

I hope you enjoyed Sitka. I think that my favorite place in Alaska.

Thx for all the updates. I apprecite your effort.

Went into Sitka early and came back to the ship while the crowds were ashore.

Korean food in the Asian section of the Lido and very few people so we actually got our food from Lido and ate out be the Sea View. Normally all I usually eat from Lido is salad- never seems to be a crowd at the salad bar.

Tendering this morning was different. Evidently no more priority tendering for suite guests- another one they should take off of the "benefits". Everyone basically was heading to the A deck. No one down there cared about tickets or room cards. Signs at stairway on Main deck directed all to A deck. In the past all went to Vista lounge and were given tender tickets- were called in groups and taken down. NS passengers always were able to go straight to the A deck and show room key. Pretty much pandemonium down there this morning- line snaking everywhere. Heard no announcements as I have in the past.

Tonight is Le Cirque- always look forward to the food.

A tip for those sending laundry down on the ship. White socks are not a good thing to send in- they come back closer to the color of the ship's hull. We now have 4 or 5 pair of blue-grey socks that were bright and white when the left.

Thank you for all the reports!

I guess we got lucky. For the excursion we booked, the excursion boat pulled right up to the ship and we boarded there. No tendering necessary!

Le Cirque last night was wonderful as always. Calm seas sailing from Sitka to Ketchikan. We love Ketchikan and sadly the Seattle cruises get so little time here due to required Victoria stop.

Put in our FCD's yesterday and FCC got it wrong. I got confirmation of 1 for each of us- should be two each. Will catch her today. Will call our PCC when we get home and get our next cruise(s) planned.

Haven't seen Mark Pells yet but when I do I will ask how long he will be aboard.

Liquid sunshine this morning in Ketchikan so shoe visit will be quick. We have a couple of stops and we are good.

Le Cirque last night was wonderful as always. Calm seas sailing from Sitka to Ketchikan. We love Ketchikan and sadly the Seattle cruises get so little time here due to required Victoria stop.

Put in our FCD's yesterday and FCC got it wrong. I got confirmation of 1 for each of us- should be two each. Will catch her today. Will call our PCC when we get home and get our next cruise(s) planned.

I dislike the way they have been handling the FCD onboard for the past year or so. They want you to wait until the final day (or so) and then fill out a form. Nice and convenient for them I am sure, but in doing so many at one time they seem to make alot of mistakes (I had the exact problem you experienced) and then we have to run around the last day to get them to fix it.

Wake up HAL!!

Frank

Sorry you had a problem with the FCC. We are averaging 1 out of 3 get it wrong: currency, amount, number of FCDs. So many variables, so many chances for a mistake!

DaveOKC

We go to see the FCC on the second or third day during the office hours that are posted. Almost never a wait.

I know : a bit of a pain, but it beats "running around the last day trying to get them fixed".

Note: on our last cruise, we were emailed the documentation, no paper copy. I think that was an "option" on the form I signed, but we didn't ask for that. I found out a couple of days later when I was beginning to wonder where the documentation was.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Frank

Sorry you had a problem with the FCC. We are averaging 1 out of 3 get it wrong: currency, amount, number of FCDs. So many variables, so many chances for a mistake!

DaveOKC

We go to see the FCC on the second or third day during the office hours that are posted. Almost never a wait.

I know : a bit of a pain, but it beats "running around the last day trying to get them fixed".

Note: on our last cruise, we were emailed the documentation, no paper copy. I think that was an "option" on the form I signed, but we didn't ask for that. I found out a couple of days later when I was beginning to wonder where the documentation was.

I tried going earlier in the cruise the past three times, only to be told by the FCC that they no longer give them out but rather we will get a form in our mailbox the last day or two of the cruise. It seems to be a new procedure that HAL has put into place.

I tried going earlier in the cruise the past three times, only to be told by the FCC that they no longer give them out but rather we will get a form in our mailbox the last day or two of the cruise. It seems to be a new procedure that HAL has put into place.

It seems more like a procedure THAT particular Future Cruise Consultant implemented to simplify their life. We bought some as late as this July and all we had to do was pick up the form whenever we wanted and drop it off whenever we wanted.

We have found Future Cruise Consultants to be very different in knowledge, client service and interpersonal skills depending on the ship. On one cruise, the only place we ever saw her was on an Ocean Bar stool. :eek:

When we were on the Westerdam earlier this year there was a small table near the FCC desk, with blank forms and a drop-off box. I believe it was there throughout the 3 weeks were were onboard. I dropped my form off about a week before we disembarked. It would be really inconvenient if they now make you wait till the last day - perhaps it depends on the FCC.

When we were on the Westerdam earlier this year there was a small table near the FCC desk, with blank forms and a drop-off box. I believe it was there throughout the 3 weeks were were onboard. I dropped my form off about a week before we disembarked. It would be really inconvenient if they now make you wait till the last day - perhaps it depends on the FCC.

Others have reported similar situations but I've never seen it on the ships I've been on. To have this on all ships would be so convenient.

I don't doubt that it depends on the FCC. I was on the same cruise as DaveOKC. The FCC said that she would have the forms available only the last few days of the cruise. I, too, like to get it done and over with at the beginning of the cruise. I would think that it is easier for the FCC to do them over the course of the cruise but perhaps they just want people to book cruises and not get FCDs. I much perfer doing my research on cruises in my own time and not while actually on vacation.

Your "somewhat live" report from the Westerdam is just great! Thanks very much!

We were on the same cruise in August, so I'm enjoying reliving it through your eyes. We had a great time and enjoyed the Pinnacle, cursed the shower, and we actually lost a beverage card so we didn't have to worry about it leaking. Thankfully it was only a soda card, so no tears were shed.

Someone asked earlier who the cellar master was - ours was Alvin. We had met him earlier in the year on the Veendam on our Panama Canal cruise. He was still in fine form and seems to have gotten even better at opening a bottle of champagne with a saber!

Thanks again for your posts - looking forward to your next one!