NCL changes DSC removal policy - will RCI follow?

NCL will no longer allow passengers to remove or adjust the daily service charge while still on board the ship. They will only be able to do so after the cruise by contacting guest relations.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6529

Personally, I would like to see RCI do this as well. It's way too easy to remove it now and this policy still gives people who have legitimate concerns the ability to adjust the service charge if needed.

NCL will no longer allow passengers to remove or adjust the daily service charge while still on board the ship. They will only be able to do so after the cruise by contacting guest relations.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6529

Personally, I would like to see RCI do this as well. It's way too easy to remove it now and this policy still gives people who have legitimate concerns the ability to adjust the service charge if needed.

Agree with your comments and will add that they should call it a daily service charge and eliminate the reference to gratuities.

Well RCI has had a lot of changes in the past 3 years. When I cruised in 2013, it was something you could add on or remove at end of cruise if I remember correctly.

Then the made you pre-pay it when you booked your cruise.

Now you don't have to pre-pay when you book, but they auto charge your seapass card.

Not sure where they will go next with it. I am not a fan at all of being FORCED to tip no matter the service..makes it feel like a cash grab and a way to make the cruise appear to be cheaper.

I think that's pretty poor customer service, tbh - if the charge is discretionary, then it should be able to be removed at any time. If it's mandatory, then add it into the list price of the cruise.

Why do you think it's fairer to make customers wait (and I'm assuming pay out the cash then try to claim it back) ? I think they're just hoping that folk who've been disappointed with the service will leave it too late to remove the charge.

I sure hope so. I guess there are instances but in the few cruises Ive been on, I have NEVER received service that did not at least deserve the daily gratuity amount. Im sure there are many "we like to remove them and pay in cash at the end" that will disagree. Thats ok. JMO.

I don't mind at all paying tips. At least I can see (mostly) what they are going for. Now paying "resort fees" while staying at a hotel I don't like. With resort fees I feel I'm paying for things I don't use and they are usually a lot more than the tips.

Imagine if we book the oasis , we need to pay resort fee plus the thermal suit pass [emoji12]

First you may want to look at why customers on NCL are removing the DSC, Daily Service Charge while on board. Over the past few months NCL has increased the DSC several times, NCL had never been clear on who is included in the DSC. When NCL started added a gratuity to the Specialty restaurants a few months ago, NCl stated those servers were not included in the DSC, but before the gratuities were added specialty restaurants servers were included.

Bottom Line, since FDR took over NCL communications have become horrible, new policies implemented such as not be able to bring food from restaurants or buffet back to your cabin, or charging $8.75 for room service, new a la carte pricing in and so on. Many loyal NCL cruisers only recourse for drop in service and quality was to remove DSC and just compensate those who provided some resemblance of reasonable service. This was NCL response to unhappy customers showing they were not happy!

Well RCI has had a lot of changes in the past 3 years. When I cruised in 2013, it was something you could add on or remove at end of cruise if I remember correctly.

Then the made you pre-pay it when you booked your cruise.

Now you don't have to pre-pay when you book, but they auto charge your seapass card.

Not sure where they will go next with it. I am not a fan at all of being FORCED to tip no matter the service..makes it feel like a cash grab and a way to make the cruise appear to be cheaper.

One policy that has not changed over the years is that RCI does not send anyone to your house to force you to book their cruises, so since you are still booking RCI cruises on your own I don't believe you feel forced at all:p

Just add it to the cruise price!

it will cost you double then due to taxes. Thats why they get a gratuity instead of a higher wage....that money is not taxed the same way as regular fares are. You add it to the fare, the company pays higher taxes, which in turn means raises the fare EVEN more to cover the additional loss in taxes (the company is not taking a hit on the bottom line, they will pass it along).

Hence, its cheaper for you, and the cruise, the have it setup as a gratuity.

Whatever RCI sticks with, I'll just abide. :)

You pretty much have to. No real option.

I agree with the comments above that you either call it a tip and allow it to be adjusted any time, or else stop playing games and just make it part of the cruise price.

As long as RCI wants to try and keep the "cruise" fare low, they will attract people who may feel strongly about being able to adjust tips during the cruise. The only way to eliminate this desire on part of the passenger is to take away the ability. The problem is that many passengers will feel like they are losing their power - their power to adjust tips when it is convenient for the passenger. Many of us know that it is a big PITA to get things adjusted afterwards.

I really don't consider it a tip. For starters, it's not much money. Cruises are much more "international" today than in the past. Different places have different customs. The word tip is misleading to many people.

So, it should simply be a "service charge" and you pay it, when you book, and you can't remove it.

They should do the same for drinks. List it as a "service charge" and remove the word tip.

Anyone that wants to tip extra, for the cruise, or for a drink or anything else, than will truly tip the individual and be happy.

It's what I do already. I don't even think about the "service charge or tip or whatever you want to call it" amount that I prepay.

I love it and hope RCI does this as well.

Personally I wish they would take the lead and just add the tips to the cruise price and be done with it.

I like the basic premise, but I don't think it works in practice. In a year or two everyone will have 'forgotten' it's part of the cruise fare and hands will be out again. Americans (me too) love to tip.

The other more important reason is a separate gratuity is much more transparent. RCI could raise or lower the gratuity at will, possibly depending on the cabin price or discounts.

So what happens when your TA allows free grats. How will this be handled. If included in price, one will never know what the grats $ are. Also, Celebrity has been running specials with free gratuities and drink packages. You'll never know what is what--real cruise price? IMHO, leave things alone. When you book add pre-pay weekly tip, if you want it all inclusive.

Please don't flame what I'm going to say because I REALLY BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE SHOULD PAY THE TIPS.

However, IF there is a problem and it cannot be resolved aboard (c'mon people, it does occasionally happen), I don't believe that contacting guest services AFTER the cruise will work.

That being said, I did see SEVERAL people on NCL try to remove tips really for no reason.

Please don't flame what I'm going to say because I REALLY BELIEVE THAT PEOPLE SHOULD PAY THE TIPS.

However, IF there is a problem and it cannot be resolved aboard (c'mon people, it does occasionally happen), I don't believe that contacting guest services AFTER the cruise will work.

That being said, I did see SEVERAL people on NCL try to remove tips really for no reason.

I'm curious...how do you know why they were removing the tips?