It's Been a While -- Lots of Questions!

Cindy

Hi all! My husband and I will be on the Caribbean Princess in December – our first Princess cruise since the Grand in 2007!:eek: I’m sure things have changed, and since it’s been a while and since this will be our first full suite on Princess, I hope you can help answer some questions…

I’m really torn about whether or not to get the AIBP – If we purchase the package and select a drink over $10.00 (probably wine) can we just pay the difference? I don’t mind paying an upcharge, but I hate to have paid for a package and find that I’m still having to pay full price for a glass of wine because I don’t like the wines by the glass that fall under the package.

I looked at a spreadsheet and I see that all bottled waters (still and sparkling) and specialty coffees such as lattes are included. Is there anything that isn’t included that I should know about before I purchase the package? Are all public venues included? I would specifically like to make sure the package can be used at Vines.

I also considered a non-alcoholic package, but it looks like the only package that includes coffees and bottled water is the big package. Is that correct?

Just thinking out loud...Maybe the way to go for us would be to bring our own wine, buy a coffee card, and pay as we go for cocktails and bottled water since for us wine is the most important thing and what we drink the most of. I would rather pay corkage than drink wine I don't like. I understand that Princess still allows "unlimited" wine as long as corkage is paid, and that would happen at check-in for anything over two bottles. Is that right?

Sorry for so many beverage questions:o – I’m familiar with the way the packages work on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, and I want to get a clear picture of the pros and cons before I decide whether or not to purchase the package.

What is included in the Mini-Bar set-up, and how do we go about indicating our preferences?

Specialty Restaurants – How do we go about reserving the included specialty restaurant for the first night? What about the one that was included with our booking as part of the 50th birthday celebration?

We have Anytime dining. I understand there is a dining line to call for reservations. How does that work? Can I schedule everything at the beginning of the cruise, or do I need to call daily?

We would like to do the Chef’s Table. How do I reserve spots for that dinner? Can I request a reservation in advance, or is that something I need to do as soon as we board?

I know the dining room is still open for lunch on embarkation day, but I also read depending on the ship I may or may not be steered to the buffet.:rolleyes: Does anybody know which dining room is open for boarding lunch on the Caribbean Princess?

Does Princess still send out luggage tags, or do I need to print them?

Thanks for your help! If you want to point me in the direction of some threads that would be helpful, that would be fine too!:D

Ok Cindy, I will reply to what I know. That is mighty little by the way!

For Specialty Dining: you can call the dine line, however, we have found it quicker to just stop by your choice and do it in person!

For Anytime Dining: Since we are on vacation, we roll with the punches and take service when we can get it. Thus = Anytime!

Lunch on embarkation day: it depends on the time and how crowded the DR gets some times.

Luggage tags: you get to print them, that way you can print extras should one get destroyed before you get to the ship.

Mini-Bar set-up: call and ask to exchange or replace with coffee cards if you want.

Well, that has exhausted my knowledge, :eek: or at least is enough for now! :D

Smooth Sailing!

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

If we purchase the package and select a drink over $10.00 (probably wine) can we just pay the difference? No. Once you are over the ceiling, you pay the entire cost of the drink (or bottle of wine, as the case may be).

Just thinking out loud...Maybe the way to go for us would be to bring our own wine, buy a coffee card, and pay as we go for cocktails and bottled water since for us wine is the most important thing and what we drink the most of. I would rather pay corkage than drink wine I don't like. I understand that Princess still allows "unlimited" wine as long as corkage is paid, and that would happen at check-in for anything over two bottles. Is that right?

If wine is your primary focus, then bring your own and pay the fee. You may bring on board as many bottles as you wish. The first bottle per adult is free, and remains free if consumed in the cabin. If it is taken to a public area, it is assessed a $15 corkage fee at that time. All additional bottles (beyond the free one per person) are assessed a $15 fee at the time of boarding and can be consumed anywhere you wish without further payment. They will stamp those bottles to show that they have already been paid for.

What is included in the Mini-Bar set-up, and how do we go about indicating our preferences? Sorry. Never got one.

Specialty Restaurants – How do we go about reserving the included specialty restaurant for the first night? Call the DINE line as soon as possible after boarding. Specialty restaurants can only be booked once on the ship. But once on the ship, you can make reservations for any night you choose all at once. No need to call each day.

What about the one that was included with our booking as part of the 50th birthday celebration? You should get a card delivered to your room telling you when you have been assigned to a Specialty restaurant. If that evening is not convenient for you, call DINE and ask to switch.

We have Anytime dining. I understand there is a dining line to call for reservations. How does that work? Can I schedule everything at the beginning of the cruise, or do I need to call daily? For Anytime Dining reservations, you must call the day of. The DINE line typically opens up at 8:00 a.m.. Note that not all ships will take reservations, (but the last time that I was on Caribbean Princess, it did), and not all times are available. You are usually offered a time before 6:00 or after 7:15.

We would like to do the Chef’s Table. How do I reserve spots for that dinner? Can I request a reservation in advance, or is that something I need to do as soon as we board? Again, as soon as you board. You go to the Passenger Services Desk and ask to be added to the request list. You can call DINE as well, but I think it is better to appear in person at the desk. On the first day of the cruise, there is usually a table set up in one of the MDRs to take care of dining "issues" that people have and you can go to that table as well. But by the time you wait in line to be helped, the request list for the Chef's Table is likely to be filled up.

I know the dining room is still open for lunch on embarkation day, but I also read depending on the ship I may or may not be steered to the buffet.:rolleyes: Does anybody know which dining room is open for boarding lunch on the Caribbean Princess? In April, it was the Coral Dining Room. The crew was open and honest about the dining option, and there was no "steering" on this ship as I have seen on others. But again the crew members change over time, and a lot of things (like honesty) depend on who is actually working the ship on that cruise.

Does Princess still send out luggage tags, or do I need to print them? Print them at home. Piece of cake. We place ours in luggage tag protectors that you can buy on line, real cheap. But they are not essential.

Thanks for your help! If you want to point me in the direction of some threads that would be helpful, that would be fine too!:D

Some answers in RED

If you purchase the AIBP, you can get any bottle of wine for 40% off.

Almost. The discount does not apply to bottles over $100. And if you buy such a bottle, you do not get 40% off of the first $100. So a $70 bottle will cost you $42 but a $105 bottle will cost you $105. Here is the official policy...

Bottles of wine are NOT included in the package; however, when purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants, will be available at 40% discount from the menu price. Applicable to all bottles below $100 retail. Note: This package is available for consumption at all bars, public areas and dining venues (not room service and excludes mini bar items).

Thanks for this link, makes everything clearer. All of our preferred drinks are under the limit -- Johnny Black, Ketel One, Drambuie, Grand Marnier. We have the beverage package so should be a lively cruise next May.

Thanks for this link, makes everything clearer. All of our preferred drinks are under the limit -- Johnny Black, Ketel One, Drambuie, Grand Marnier. We have the beverage package so should be a lively cruise next May.

Your welcome......

I believe this (link) is the one where you may need to add $1-$1.50 for price increases since most cocktails are $8.95 now. ;)

Cindy.............

there are only several wines at Vines that are over $10, You can stop there for wine and Tapas or sushi before dinner. We worked our way through most of the red wines in Vines. If you find one you like you may take it to the dining room in your glass.

As far as being in a suite you will have first choice for dining reservations in the main dining room even for anytime dining. You do not have to call the dine line daily. Talk to the maitre'd ( or head waiter) the first night and he will arrange this for you. If you find a special table you like you may also request this , Suites has its privileges.

Enjoy and happy 50th BD.

I toyed with the idea of the AIBP for our TA cruise on the Emerald in a couple of weeks. The toying lasted for the 30 seconds it took to do the math and figured it would be a $1,577 bar tab for the DW and I. No way I could possibly drink that much and remain conscious for most of the cruise :)

Once you get on board go to the specialty restaurant that you would like to go to the first night and get a reservation. you will have first priority since you are in a suite. As far as the other night, just go to the restaurant and get a reservation and tell them that it is the free night. No problem.

As far as the other nights, you will not have a problem getting a reservation since you are in a suite. Just call the dine line and remind them that you are in a suite and they will get you whatever time you want.

We were able to set up a set time for a few nights with the maitre d since we were in a suite.

Don't forget that you also can have a full meal in your cabin off the MDR menu. It is quite nice to sit in your cabin or on your balcony and have a great meal. Ask your steward to bring you the menus for the day.

have a great time on your cruise in your suite. It will definitely spoil you:)

The mini-bar setup - alcohol - is for the elite pax in mini-suit and lower class rooms only and is gratis the first time. Refills of bottles will end in a charge to your folio.

However when you get into your cabin, the small refrigerator under the counter will have 2 cans of beer, 2 cans of coke, 2 cans of diet coke, 2 cans sprite and 2 larger bottles of water if my memory serves me. As you use them, the room steward will replace them and report that you used one or more which will have a cost added onto your folio.

The mini-bar setup - alcohol - is for the elite pax in mini-suit and lower class rooms only and is gratis the first time. Refills of bottles will end in a charge to your folio.

The mini-bar setup is for elite pax in all type cabins. If elite and in a suite, then you get two setups.

However when you get into your cabin, the small refrigerator under the counter will have 2 cans of beer, 2 cans of coke, 2 cans of diet coke, 2 cans sprite and 2 larger bottles of water if my memory serves me. As you use them, the room steward will replace them and report that you used one or more which will have a cost added onto your folio.

The mini-bar setup is for elite pax in all type cabins. If elite and in a suite, then you get two setups.

Are you saying the mini-bar setup isn't a suite perk? It's just for Elites?

Available for an Elite in ANY category cabin. If an Elite is in a suite you get 2 setups. 1 for Elite 1 for suite. ;)

I understood that the occupant of a Full Suite also received the Mini-Bar set-up. Your description of the contents of the small refrigerator seems to be what is provided in the Mini Bar set up. I think 2 cans of Tonic water is also provided, from what I've read here on Cruise Critic. I might have misunderstood what I read too, newbie cruiser here and not ashamed to admit I'm a learner. :D

1:1 exchange, alcohol for alcohol, or 1:1 anything to non-alcoholic.

The trade-outs for non-alcoholic can also be for Sprite Zero, Root Beer or Diet Coke. I vaguely recall Orange Fanta once upon a time.

Sometimes the Scotch is replaced with Canadian, and sometimes the San Pellegrino is Perrier. Magically, no matter where you are in the world, the beer is always Dos Equis.

Back to the topic of the wines over $10 - I'm a reasonable cork dork, and the only place I feel really limited in the wine selection is the sparkling - I've had one sailing there the only option was Korbel (no Chandon, none of the anniversary Prosecco onboard) and that felt like a screw. The reds and still whites have many good selections under the cap. DO NOT MISS the Chamisal unoaked Chardonnay in Vines. It is really delicious.

Thanks, everybody! Does anybody have a recent wine list?

Hi, Cindy. I prepared the attached spreadsheet from the most recent wine list I found posted here on Princess CC board.

I hope that a CC member will photograph and post a wine list from a ship very soon this fall as ships return to Florida in case of any changes for the fall season. If nothing appears before then, I will be doing it myself first week of Nov.

The spreadsheet was also built as an analysis tool to compare ship prices, plus 15% gratuity, to buying your own on-shore and bringing on the cruise, paying the $15 corkage fee. You might find that feature useful as well.

Comments are welcome.

Princess Wine List - 2015-Spring.xls