Owen Wilson in P&O Australia campaign

Hi cruisers

What do you think of P&O's new campaign for Pacific Aria and Eden starring Hollywood actor Owen Wilson?

You can see the 3 videos here: http://befreeowen.com/

Note: we might use your responses in a news story on Cruise Critic :)

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor

Cruise Critic

Building a campaign against someone I'm not sure that many know seems a risky strategy. Although their first cruiseling ad showed they were happy to take that risk...!

I have no idea who he is so haven't bothered watching. The only pull seems to be if you know the guy, so it has no appeal. Time will tell whether he has enough recognition and appeal to their target market.

Some of what he's done

Meet the Parents (2000),

Shanghai Noon (2000),

Zoolander (2001),

Shanghai Knights (2003),

Wedding Crashers (2005),

Cars (2006),

Marley & Me (2008),

Midnight in Paris (2011),

Cars 2 (2011),

The Internship (2013),

Night at the Museum trilogy

Which might fit their normal demographic.

I know who Owen Wilson is and I quite like him as an actor for the type of roles he plays. He wouldn't influence me into booking a P&O cruise anymore than George Clooney would make me want to drink Nespresso coffee.

As an aside to this, on my travels through Africa last year my American and Canadian fellow travellers were surprised when I told them who the celebrities are that try to flog us stuff.

Regards Elaine.

None of the above.

Why do we need a celebrity to tell us what to do????????:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Because media agencies tell us that people are influenced by them. If anything, it has the opposite effect on me. They are paid by Company A to say "ABC" and if Company B comes along they would say "XYZ" so why I would take their opinions into account has always baffled me.

And please, no more sports stars!

Edited by Pushka

Because media agencies tell us that people are influenced by them. If anything, it has the opposite effect on me. They are paid by Company A to say "ABC" and if Company B comes along they would say "XYZ" so why I would take their opinions into account has always baffled me.

And please, no more sports stars!

Yep. and there must be a lot of suckers who fall for it.

What on earth? I lasted about 2 minutes before canning the first ad out of sheer boredom. If that was supposed to be an ad to encourage me to cruise on P&O it was an epic fail.

Lasted longer than me. :p. I skimmed through the video on FF and thought it a lot of pretentious um, stuff.

I don't know how old other people are commenting on this thread but I'm in my late 50's and know that P&O are not directing this series of advertisements at me because I'm too old. Also P&O know that the cashed up baby boomers who used to cruise with them have moved on to greener pastures.

These advertisements are directed towards people in their 20's and 30's in my opinion and you would find too that teenagers would be influenced by the choice of Owen Wilson. I have read that children have a big say in where the family chooses to spend their holidays.

Regards Elaine.

I don't know how old other people are commenting on this thread but I'm in my late 50's and know that P&O are not directing this series of advertisements at me because I'm too old. Also P&O know that the cashed up baby boomers who used to cruise with them have moved on to greener pastures.

These advertisements are directed towards people in their 20's and 30's in my opinion and you would find too that teenagers would be influenced by the choice of Owen Wilson. I have read that children have a big say in where the family chooses to spend their holidays.

Regards Elaine.

I absolutely agree, but they don't show anything about the ship. If I didn't already know I was watching a P&O ad, I think I would have been left scratching my head.

I watched all 3 plus the interview, thought it was a clever different concept. I'm 55 and know who Owen Wilson is despite not watching any of his movies. I presumed they are for the U.S. market with the references to upside down and down under (as in eating ice cream as a main and beef cheeks as dessert) . They obviously can't show the ships as they are still sailing with HAL. I usually sail Princess but will be on Eden's inaugural sailing from Freo, first time on P&O and am looking forward to it.

Bit hard for folks here to say what sort of ad and what actor should be used as this forum is already filled with folks who are already "addicted to cruising " [emoji3]

Preaching to the converted ........

For my money, P&O have wasted theirs. Seems to depict the P&O experience as some sort of Men's Club. Not sure who their target punter is but it sure isn't me!

cheers

Stu

Only watched the first one and no idea what the market is, guess a guy fantasizing..............and the girl is from Tangalooma?? I am surprised a dolphin didn't join them in the Blue Room.

The product becomes more obvious as you watch the others. It is like a mini series, more being revealed each episode. Which is why I watched all of them , can't make a judgement without all the facts. I'm presuming there are more to follow the first three as well.

While they aren't my sort of ad (no ads are ) , they make more sense after the first one.