Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

A fresh batch of contractor images from various areas of the ship here on the G32GBQM2 social media site.

Her promenade teak deck has been ripped up as well.

I think they just put down some sort of protective layer over the promenade deck. When I worked in NYC, every weekend people were being moved to different offices. Every Friday afternoon, Globe movers would show up and tape down pieces of Masonite to form a trail that covered the carpet. That's how the prom deck photo looks to me.

What's going on with the aft pool?

And are the theater seats being reupholstered, or are they being replaced?

And did you see the shirts? How long before we see them on ebay?!?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I trust they are not retro fitting new cabins to make more money are they? Carnival Corp have already done that to Island Princess and Arcadia. They have wrecked Island Princess which I am on in November and am on QM2 in March.

That's definitely plywood sheeting over the promenade teak. There were some other photos where they had removed the Deck 13 teak prior to installing the new staterooms and it was much more obvious that the teak planking had been removed up there.

One of the twitter photos shows workers applying gold leaf to a section of ceiling. I didn't recognize the area. Any ideas?

The Britannia cabins have a nice warm feel to them still .. Q5-6 have that grey metal look and the sofa needs to go back against the wall where it should be instead of the middle of the room! Placed in this odd location just for the flat panel TV on the wall..I never watch TV on QM2 outside of the ship location , bridge cam,and the sometimes Cunard history programs. I think after people start falling over this thing at night it will return to its pre "mastered" location. Strange to look at some of the stripped out main rooms..she almost looks as if its 45 years from now and her service life is over.

Edited by sfbearcat
addition

That's definitely plywood sheeting over the promenade teak. There were some other photos where they had removed the Deck 13 teak prior to installing the new staterooms and it was much more obvious that the teak planking had been removed up there.

One of the twitter photos shows workers applying gold leaf to a section of ceiling. I didn't recognize the area. Any ideas?

Its outside of Illuminations port side..they must have had to rip it open for pipe work for the new cabins or Kings Court

I trust they are not retro fitting new cabins to make more money are they? Carnival Corp have already done that to Island Princess and Arcadia. They have wrecked Island Princess which I am on in November and am on QM2 in March.

They are. Britannia Club on deck 13 and solo staterooms on 2 and 3.

Yes, it's one of two recessed chandeliers just outside of Illuminations.

...Strange to look at some of the stripped out main rooms..she almost looks as if its 45 years from now and her service life is over.

That was my thought too.:( Sad, but the torch is the fate of all but a tiny handful of ships.

I'm not a young woman but do expect to be around long enough to see the time come when QM2 flies her paying off pennant. We can only hope that by then she will have inspired many happy memories and enough appreciation for that unique experience which is a transatlantic crossing for her to have a successor.

... Her promenade teak deck has been ripped up as well.
Hi BlueRiband,

I not sure I can see that in any of the pictures (my fault I'm sure), could you highlight which photo/s, thank you (if true, I do hope it will go back down when work is over).

I can see vast areas of plywood protecting the deck in many of the photos; thank you for linking to them :)

Keep up the good work in finding these photos, much appreciated.

Edited by pepperrn

Its outside of Illuminations port side..they must have had to rip it open for pipe work for the new cabins or Kings Court
Hi sfbearcat,

This photo (attached) also shows work on the starboard side of Illuminations.

Illuminations.jpg.598f5919574038f110a780fb13b757b6.jpg

Hi branston boy,

Welcome to the Cunard board (and to Cruise Critic) :) .

There are lots of well-informed, experienced, friendly people here, so if you've any questions; ask away!

Best wishes.

We have lots of questions,but are a little shy,do cunarders bite.Will read through some threads then hopefully muster the courage to ask.:):)Probably some real stupid questions as well.;)

Last night a new overhead view was posted.

And a status report from a shipping publication here.

The Britannia cabins have a nice warm feel to them still .. Q5-6 have that grey metal look and the sofa needs to go back against the wall where it should be instead of the middle of the room! Placed in this odd location just for the flat panel TV on the wall..I never watch TV on QM2 outside of the ship location , bridge cam,and the sometimes Cunard history programs. I think after people start falling over this thing at night it will return to its pre "mastered" location...

FWIW, the refit designs - and furnishings placement - underwent extensive focus group testing. I had such an opportunity last year in New York. I was in a group of five previous Grills passengers and we were presented with proposed designs for the Grills staterooms, restaurants, Kings Court and Winter Garden. Samples of the materials to be used were also presented. (How great was this? I get to give input on the ship's refit and also get paid for my time!)

Edited by BlueRiband

Looking at this latest group of pictures the Q5-6 the refit appears to be confined to the cabin..the bathroom and walk in closet are untouched

Same with the Britannia cabins..The fixtures and shelves are unchanged..just the color scheme..which I like in those cabins..not bad at all

I assume the wallpapers are new.

And I hope for a magnifying mirror and more light in the bathrooms!

I will see and report here when boarding for the TA on June 21. Booked in QG I will be one of the first customers to see her finished! Cant wait!!

Anyone else surprised that they are removing the glass elevators from the atrium? They said it will open up the atrium and I assume give some extra space in the new kings court. I only used the elevators for fun so don't think I will miss them.

Lots of changes!

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at this latest group of pictures the Q5-6 the refit appears to be confined to the cabin..the bathroom and walk in closet are untouched

Same with the Britannia cabins..The fixtures and shelves are unchanged..just the color scheme..which I like in those cabins..not bad at all

The artist conceptions for the new Britannia Club staterooms on 13 show a door into the shower rather than the curtain. I don't think anyone expects to see that refitted into other staterooms, though (and whether it appears in the new staterooms is anyone's guess).

Last night a new overhead view was posted.

And a status report from a shipping publication here.

A very interesting report, I still can't believe how they will manage to do all that work with so little time given. Using the Southampton turnaround time to finish the last cabins is a great idea.

But what is the "new steakhouse" mentioned in the article? Or do they just mean the Verandah?

I believe i read somewhere the mentioned steakhouse is a new alternative dining option in the Kings Court.

There is supposed to be an alternate venue called "The Smokehouse". It was announced relatively recently along with other menu developments. They really have not said very much about it so far.

FWIW, the link in post #488 mentioned that her deck is getting new wood.
Hi BlueRiband,

Such a pity the blogger on that cruise site doesn't mention which parts of what deck (it could be on the new Deck 14? Or to replace possibly damaged sections (from the construction work) on Deck 13? Just general repair work in various patches around the ship?).

Alternatively it could be that the blogger is misquoting an imprecise press-release.

There is nothing in what I've read about the Promenade Deck being "ripped up", and the photographic evidence that I've seen here and elsewhere tends to suggest that nothing major will change where the promenade is concerned.

Even if the teak decking on the promenade was temporarily lifted for maintenance or replacement, Cunard would surely put it back "as was", and therefore nothing to be concerned about.

Further I doubt if the contractors are allowed to do much ripping, more likely careful/controlled removal to avoid damaging the deck beneath.

Looking forward to seeing the next batch of photos you cleverly manage to find, your efforts are very much appreciated; I have to wait until November before I see the results of all this work on board.

Best wishes and happy sailings on the "re-mastered" QM2 :)

Edited by pepperrn

Anyone else surprised that they are removing the glass elevators from the atrium? They said it will open up the atrium and I assume give some extra space in the new kings court. I only used the elevators for fun so don't think I will miss them.

Lots of changes!

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a lot of speculation that this would happen even before the change was announced. The main reason is to gain the space they took up in Kings Court. It also will reduce the number of lost people who didn't want to go to Kings Court and found themselves smack in the middle of it when the elevator doors opened.

I thought they might keep it just for the two atrium decks. but it was probably easier to just get rid of the whole thing. I used these elevators about once every cruise just for the fun of it. But they really weren't much use, stopping at only 3 decks.

... It also will reduce the number of lost people who didn't want to go to Kings Court and found themselves smack in the middle of it when the elevator doors opened.
A few times I noted surprised/startled looks from people sat at tables in the KC alongside the glass walls where the lifts/elevators came up; suddenly people seemingly rose from the floor only inches from the diners at tables (and no, the startled look wasn't always when I was in the lift, it happened with other faces as well :D).
... I used these elevators about once every cruise just for the fun of it. But they really weren't much use, stopping at only 3 decks.
I used them all the time when on board, and will really miss them (on my route from Britannia to Commodore Club post dinner (and at other times). Take them Deck 3 to Deck 7, a turn round the promenade for fresh air, dive indoors and then take the outside "scenic" lift/elevator to Deck 9... ).

Many happy sailings to you 3rdGenCunarder :)

Edited by pepperrn