Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

I'm with you.

I never really understood the loathing of that room, and Kings Court for that matter.

Both have , er "had" their own little quirks about them which I got used to. But I can't wait to see the updated versions. Guess it's time i booked another crossing. :D

I could never understand why there were more complaints about Kings Court than every other aspect of the QM2 combined. As someone who generally avoids a ship’s lido for several reasons I concede if I were a fan of ship-board cafeterias I might feel differently.

Looking at Kings Court objectively it never seemed as bad as many suggest. On our first five voyages our only experience with it was to attend muster, walk through during inclement weather and to partake of an occasional soft ice cream cone. On our sixth voyage we boarded at noon and, having no other obvious source of food, we compromised our principles and had a light lunch. (The elimination of hunger pangs is sometimes more important than sticking to one’s principles.:)) The food was good and there were few passengers about at that time. If the areas had been crowded with the usual large number of people it would no doubt have been a different experience. As for the layout of serving stations, we had no problem finding what we wanted.

Regarding the Winter Garden, the one thing I remember most was the apparent low ceiling. It is probably no lower than many other areas of the ship, but it seemed a bit cramped. When we cruised aboard the QE we enjoyed the equivalent room which is in a location which permits a higher ceiling.

It seems some fears of the new scrubbers altering the appearance of the funnel were moot. As far as I can tell, I don't notice a difference at all, I'm actually not even positive where they were installed (which is a good thing!)

Yes I agree. I was concerned based on the results of past retrofits. I also have to wonder if they were ever installed, as I never saw evidence of funnel work in any of the pics I viewed.

Some contractor mobile uploads that appeared on the Elba 17 site within the hour. Her top side looks like she's not yet ready for prime time: View 1, View 2, View 3, and View 4. The bridge wings don't appear to have any dramatic modification but I have not made a before/after image comparison.

The radar mast, in my observation, has the illusion of being shorter since it is now surrounded by ceiling of the new deck 13 staterooms as shown before and after.

Edited by BlueRiband

Some contractor mobile uploads that appeared on the Elba 17 site within the hour. Her top side looks like she's not yet ready for prime time: View 1, View 2, View 3, and View 4. The bridge wings don't appear to have any dramatic modification but I have not made a before/after image comparison.

The radar mast, in my observation, has the illusion of being shorter since it is now surrounded by ceiling of the new deck 13 staterooms as shown before and after.

I'm very happy to see that there appears to be limited access to Deck 14, even if just by two walkways that probably lead to the Lookout observation area that existed pre-refit. This is certainly better than no access at all.

I'm very happy to see that there appears to be limited access to Deck 14, even if just by two walkways that probably lead to the Lookout observation area that existed pre-refit. This is certainly better than no access at all.

Do you think it'll be open to the public? I don't think those railings are high enough given the height of the drop? What was there previously was above head height with glass panels to discourage climbing?

Do you think it'll be open to the public? I don't think those railings are high enough given the height of the drop? What was there previously was above head height with glass panels to discourage climbing?

I'm thinking yes. The rails appear to be standard regulation height. Same height as the balconies just below them.

If people want to climb rails or jump to their death off the ship they will do so, regardless of the rail height.

My memory's that the Deck 13 rails were glass panels as a wind control. If 14 only has a rail it will be very windy under most conditions.

I'm going to assume it's not accessible by passengers, at least until we see otherwise.

Edited by Underwatr

My memory's that the Deck 13 rails were glass panels as a wind control. If 14 only has a rail it will be very windy under most conditions.

I'm going to assume it's not accessible by passengers, at least until we see otherwise.

That's what I'm thinking too.

The recent accident aboard a Carnival ship where a child slipped through a railing and fell down 2 decks of stairs* is a sad example of what can happen...add wind and a wet deck and the risk is increased.

*http://abc7chicago.com/news/3-year-old-girl-slips-through-cruise-ship-rail-falls-2-decks/1385063/

I agree it will be windy, and perhaps only open when in port.

Two clues that lead me to think it will be accessible to passengers are the stairs from Deck 13 leading up to Deck 14. They appear to be passenger style staircases. If it were crew only a metal ladder against the bulkhead would probably suffice. The second clue is the tops of the railing. They are currently wrapped up as you can see in the photos, but it appears they will be finished wood like the other passenger rails. If it were intended to be crew only, I'm thinking it would just be painted white metal like other crew railings.

The recent accident aboard a Carnival ship where a child slipped through a railing and fell down 2 decks of stairs* is a sad example of what can happen...add wind and a wet deck and the risk is increased.

*http://abc7chicago.com/news/3-year-old-girl-slips-through-cruise-ship-rail-falls-2-decks/1385063/

How you "somehow slip through the rail" is beyond me. They were posing for photos and I'm guessing the kid was posing perhaps where they shouldn't be.

I started cruising as a child well before the glass banisters we see today. Miraculously I'm still alive.

Perhaps all outer decks should be closed off completely, as someone might slip and get hurt.

Just what we need. More protections.

A wise man once said. "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"

Maybe there's time for more work to be done on the railings with 7 days left to go?

Aside from that minor point. Isn't she looking just stunning? We aren't planning a Cunard Jaunt this year as we're buying a new house instead.

My wife has just asked if we should cancel the house on seeing these latest pictures.

I'm sure she's joking.

Edited by JollyJackTar52

I could never understand why there were more complaints about Kings Court than every other aspect of the QM2 combined. As someone who generally avoids a ship’s lido for several reasons I concede if I were a fan of ship-board cafeterias I might feel differently.

Looking at Kings Court objectively it never seemed as bad as many suggest. On our first five voyages our only experience with it was to attend muster, walk through during inclement weather and to partake of an occasional soft ice cream cone. On our sixth voyage we boarded at noon and, having no other obvious source of food, we compromised our principles and had a light lunch.

It seems like you didn't visit it much which might explain why you find the dislike hard to imagine.

I enjoy the buffets on other cruise lines and know how good they can be. Well set out, easy to see the options, and a free flow of traffic with spaces between food displays and seatings. Kings Court was a series of boxes. Confusing displays. I swear they changed the displays each night so that when returning the next day everything had changed.

Always used Britannia for the evening meal but rarely for breakfast or lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree it will be windy, and perhaps only open when in port.

Two clues that lead me to think it will be accessible to passengers are the stairs from Deck 13 leading up to Deck 14. They appear to be passenger style staircases. If it were crew only a metal ladder against the bulkhead would probably suffice. The second clue is the tops of the railing. They are currently wrapped up as you can see in the photos, but it appears they will be finished wood like the other passenger rails. If it were intended to be crew only, I'm thinking it would just be painted white metal like other crew railings.

I agree. It sure seems for passenger use with those staircases and the wood railings. The photos have people standing against the railing with the height almost to their necks...the windscreens would have degraded her profile .Deck 13 was closed most of the time on crossings after sail away and this area will surely be closed that high up so its a semi replacement for the lost space and will have great view for sailing under the Verrazano Bridge!!

On the other hand, all they've ever had on 7 is a rail (necessary for lifeboat entry).

On the other hand, all they've ever had on 7 is a rail (necessary for lifeboat entry).

...and in some places on Deck 7 there isn't even a rail, just a chain - where the inflatable life rafts are stored, but that area is marked for crew only.

My experience is that the wind can be considerably stronger on higher decks, but I have no idea how strong it would be on Deck 14.

Someone onboard has just sent me a photo of the refurbished Kings Court. (as I've no idea how to post photos on here you'll just have to wait ;) ) It looks fantastic, a complete transformation and far good for those who can't be bothered to stick a jacket on in the evenings :D

Many areas of the ship are now looking looking wonderful, it's amazing what they've managed to do in such a short space of time, however, give it a week in service and there'll be the usual moaning minnies at it again.;)

There are some here from G32GBQM2 post 594

89650402_ScreenShot2016-06-18at09_18_53.jpg.58e1da5c6003702e1da3221c3d56c81d.jpg

533242637_ScreenShot2016-06-18at09_19_09.jpg.4dbf4facdc5f069ec0889dc2bfba8cce.jpg

888753553_ScreenShot2016-06-18at09_19_29.jpg.9a2d653fe5dea7bd05e1d6904fec842a.jpg

725663847_ScreenShot2016-06-18at09_19_41.jpg.e442873b7236b521d2b0fbb228677365.jpg

47270860_ScreenShot2016-06-18at09_19_51.jpg.096c4438a216e9478654945153b565fe.jpg

Someone onboard has just sent me a photo of the refurbished Kings Court. (as I've no idea how to post photos on here you'll just have to wait ;) ) It looks fantastic, a complete transformation and far good for those who can't be bothered to stick a jacket on in the evenings :D

Many areas of the ship are now looking looking wonderful, it's amazing what they've managed to do in such a short space of time, however, give it a week in service and there'll be the usual moaning minnies at it again.;)

There are some here from G32GBQM2 post 594

Hopefully I will get some photographs Thursday.

I will look forward to your Photographs in July Bell Boy.