Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Dr Payne was on the 175th and asked about the refit (as it was then). He was the soul of discretion and said he was unable to really say anything because he didn't work for them anymore and didn't believe he would be anytime soon

Payne left Carnival at the end of 2010 and now has his own consultancy, PFJ Maritime. IF he did any work for Carnival he would be hired on through his business as an independent contractor. And if he was hired on he certainly would have to maintain client confidentiality.

As for the deck 13 staterooms, it was Cunard that disclosed this before there was a public announcement. They were showing up a year ago as available in online booking.

I'll be happy to provide post refit photos from QM2's first "Remastered" trans-Atlantic crossing departing Southampton on Thursday.

I haven't posted here in a while since after my first QM2 trans-Atlantic crossing back in summer 2014, but after enjoying everyone's posts about the refit, I look forward to having something to contribute here again.

I usually share trip pics with friends via Google Photos, so I'll setup a Google Photos album with a public link to share here. Hopefully they've upgraded the satellite Internet connection onboard since my Caribbean Christmas / New Years cruise back in January.

Roland787

OK, I volunteer! Even though I'm more of a lurker but it appears that photographic action needs to be taken! I'm going on the Mary July 15 for 9 nights. Ill take a myriad of pictures and make sure there posted. We dont want anyone to be stressed out over pictures of our baby. Consider it done.

Mark

Look forward to the pics Mark! Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be happy to provide post refit photos from QM2's first "Remastered" trans-Atlantic crossing departing Southampton on Thursday.

I haven't posted here in a while since after my first QM2 trans-Atlantic crossing back in summer 2014, but after enjoying everyone's posts about the refit, I look forward to having something to contribute here again.

I usually share trip pics with friends via Google Photos, so I'll setup a Google Photos album with a public link to share here. Hopefully they've upgraded the satellite Internet connection onboard since my Caribbean Christmas / New Years cruise back in January.

Roland787

Thanks in advance Roland. Enjoy!

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roland787

Looking forward to seeing them. Thankyou.

Roland787

Also looking forward to seeing your photos Roland, before I board the QM2 next month. Can't wait!

(Thursday 23rd June also being the date of the EU Referendum - for the UK to leave or stay?)

Edited by Ray66

Hi Salacia,

Thank you :o . No-one is more sorry than me that I have to wait until November to see the changes and improvements.

When I booked (June '15) I had no idea that the "remastering" would be so extensive.

Trust me, I am counting down the days... actually, I am almost counting the hours... :D Is it still too early to start packing do you think?

Pepper, I was thinking maybe it's for the best that we have to wait until November; you're not the kind of photographer who would capture the Queen in an unkind moment, and there is still much work to be done between now and November.

Maybe too early to pack, but not too early to plan the packing. I really need not to wait until the last moment to pack my suitcases.

:o Salacia

Just saw new pics on Instagram. Not sure if I like the new carpet in the elevator lobbies. The photographer noted that everything looks great. That said I never thought any picture of the QM2 did her justice. It is going to be interesting to see everyone's reaction to the changes.

Just saw new pics on Instagram. Not sure if I like the new carpet in the elevator lobbies. The photographer noted that everything looks great. That said I never thought any picture of the QM2 did her justice. It is going to be interesting to see everyone's reaction to the changes.

Care to provide a link or what to search under in Instagram?

Thanks!

I found most of areas nice except that carpet section outside of the Chart Room..looks like a can of red paint was dropped open during the refit!..why do design firms always find the need to have this stupid "bad" look in today's style? Cunard passengers are not hipsters...I do like the picture showing the wide passenger type outside stairs on deck 13 ..for great sail way views

Here's a link to the #qm2remastered page on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/qm2remastered/

I'm sorry - everything looks lovely except for the new carpets. I suppose they do fit the theme, but the previous carpets looked so much more elegant.

I would love to get my hands on one of those new pillows :)

I'm sorry - everything looks lovely except for the new carpets. I suppose they do fit the theme, but the previous carpets looked so much more elegant.

I would love to get my hands on one of those new pillows :)

The big red bloodstain and the main lobby's red/orange/tan "burst" (don't know what else to call it) were designed for large circular areas. But the repeat of the "burst" by the elevators is stupid. Why put a design meant for a circular space in a narrow rectangular space? Kind of like the old round peg/square hole mismatch.

I don't care that much about the carpet. I want to find out how the new kings court layout works.

I think it's great the new carpets are evoking reactions. Life would be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything. No doubt these carpets will be controversial especially for traditionalists. I think Cunard did something bold. They will evoke a reaction for sure, some will hate them and others love. Probably not much in between. I think that is actually a success. Better than "ho hum" and no one notices at all. I feel the same way about art.

I think it's great the new carpets are evoking reactions. Life would be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything. No doubt these carpets will be controversial especially for traditionalists. I think Cunard did something bold. They will evoke a reaction for sure, some will hate them and others love. Probably not much in between. I think that is actually a success. Better than "ho hum" and no one notices at all. I feel the same way about art.

I see your point. The new carpets are certainly striking, and there's something to be said for that. But you can look at a work of art and leave it as you will. Carpets, on the other hand, are inescapable. And the purpose of carpet design, especially in a public space, is not so much to draw attention to itself as it is to create a mood.

So what mood will this bold new design create? I'm not sure. Photos can be deceptive. I think that we'll have to live with the carpets for a while to find out. And I'm looking forward to doing just that this summer!

I see your point. The new carpets are certainly striking, and there's something to be said for that. But you can look at a work of art and leave it as you will. Carpets, on the other hand, are inescapable. And the purpose of carpet design, especially in a public space, is not so much to draw attention to itself as it is to create a mood.

So what mood will this bold new design create? I'm not sure. Photos can be deceptive. I think that we'll have to live with the carpets for a while to find out. And I'm looking forward to doing just that this summer!

Well you can leave an area of carpet at will as well. The design won't be the same throughout the ship, and certainly any time spent in a elevator foyer will be brief at best.

Carpets can strike a mood just as art can. Both can change a mood and create an ambiance. Cunard is obviously going for a bolder, more contemporary and original look with QM2. Personally I'm very happy about that. I prefer it over the much more contrived looks of QV and QE. I always felt that Cunard tried too hard to be a Disney style version of what they think an ocean liner should look like. Often times it comes across too theme-like. This was very true of more recent refits of QE2. She looked nothing like forward and modern ship she was originally design to be. I prefer something more original and I think these carpets will help in that regard. I can't wait to see more.

I am now on board in Queens Grill an everything looks fantastic. The changes are really big improvements, Q5 Suite and Restaurant are breathtaking and the Kings Court is wonderful as is the new Carinthia Lounge.

There are many little changes and improvements to explore.

I'm thinking yes. The rails appear to be standard regulation height. Same height as the balconies just below them.

If people want to climb rails or jump to their death off the ship they will do so, regardless of the rail height.

Just to confirm the new Deck 14 is absolutely open to passengers, along the two promenades (port and starboard) that lead up to the pre-existing Lookout area.

Lots of new photos being posted and plenty of people enjoying this new vantage point on Deck 14.

I am now on board in Queens Grill an everything looks fantastic. The changes are really big improvements, Q5 Suite and Restaurant are breathtaking and the Kings Court is wonderful as is the new Carinthia Lounge.

There are many little changes and improvements to explore.

Fabulous!

Could I ask.... are there any tables for 4 by a window in the Queens Grill restaurant?

How does the bathroom look? Any major changes or just a tidy up?

Hi eroller. I understand how you could feel the same way about carpets and art. But the primary function of carpeting on a ship is utilitarian, secondarily decorative.

We will have to agree to disagree as I do not feel the same way about art as I do carpeting. See? Life is not boring - for one, I don't agree with you :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia