Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

And those pax are too lazy to go to the buffet to collect the said coffee. Crew have better things to do then run around the ship with coffee and tea pots, surely.

I agree 100 %.

I use 2 Cunard Travel Mugs, that I received years ago as a Group Amenity,

every morning . Much quicker and often hotter than Room Service(plus I grab a donut or 2 while I'm there :)

Crew DO NOT have better things to do if they are in the Hotel Department and are there to serve passengers. I have been on QM2 many times and when I wake up and order coffee it comes very quickly-so quickly that I do not have time to shower much less dress. Major hotels are eliminating Room Service-ie. Hilton, New York-because they claim it’s too expensive AND they don’t want to maintain kitchen and service staff 24 hrs. a day. When and if personal attention and service by cabin staff is reduced, the Queens become snazzy and expensive NCL ships.

It’s analogous to folks who travel Cunard and then grouse about style and formality- they want to reduce other’s travel experience so they can revel in the comfortable ordinary.

Regarding Wine Waiters, there are two few now; I was on Holland America last year for a long cruise and the shortage of Wine Waiters was outrageous. Half the time our table stewards ended up taking wine orders because the Wine Waiter was on the other side of the room-ridiculous and tacky bad service.

Hello BlueRiband,

I will be sailing on the Queen Mary II out of Southampton after her refit (as will you, according to the roll call). Is this special Cunard event for Invitation Only, upper passenger guests, press and VIP's, or just us regular folk. The page I linked to describes various events, Breakfast, Tours, Lunch, etc. but does not give a ticket price or reservation information.

Any further information you can provide?

Thanks,

Pam

I know many may flame me for this, but I will kind of miss the winter garden!

It was not the best use of space for sure, but there was this sort of Victorian-era kitschiness about the space. It reminded me of times of old, when the aristocracy would have conservatories and orangeries in their homes.

I've only sailed on QM2 once [so far] so am in no position to reminisce deeply like some others on this thread but I still think the winter garden got a bad wrap. Is the one on QV staying?

I'm with you.

I never really understood the loathing of that room, and Kings Court for that matter.

Both have , er "had" their own little quirks about them which I got used to. But I can't wait to see the updated versions. Guess it's time i booked another crossing. :D

I'm with you.

I never really understood the loathing of that room, and Kings Court for that matter.

Both have , er "had" their own little quirks about them which I got used to. But I can't wait to see the updated versions. Guess it's time i booked another crossing. :D

:D:D

I agree that King's Court was not awful but the layout surely could have used some improvement.

There is not much I loathed at all in regards to QM2; the one thing I can agree on with just about everyone here, though, is that Pol Acker is truly horrible. Everything else I found delightful and I'm sure the "remastered" areas will be wonderful as well. However, as many people on this forum have been sailing Cunard for many, many years they may have more experience with older liners to compare to QM2.

I didn't hate the winter garden but it wasn't appealing either. Likewise i figured out Kings court but it didn't feel up to par with the rest of the ship. I'm quite excited about the changes...looking at fall crossings now!

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Contractor images of the dock being filled and her life boats being returned. She is scheduled to leave Elbe 17 at 2:30 local time on the 17th and will move to the Steinwerder terminal.

Look at that shiny hull! Beautiful!

I always feel better driving my car after its been cleaned. I wonder if the captain feels that way after getting her cleaned up like this!

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you.

I think the Winter Garden reputation suffered from those awful, awful "Art" auctions. Every day those weary canvasses would be wheeled out to put the space out of bounds, unless you were prepared to put up with the auctioneer's spiel. After they finished I quite like to sit there quietly in the post lunch period.

MM

Contractor images of the dock being filled and her life boats being returned. She is scheduled to leave Elbe 17 at 2:30 local time on the 17th and will move to the Steinwerder terminal.

It will be interesting to see the departure from the dock. I believe she is going to sea for a few days, 17th to 19th June then returning to Steinwerder in time to finish loading stores and collect the lucky ones who will be first to see the transformation.

M-AR

It will be interesting to see the departure from the dock. I believe she is going to sea for a few days, 17th to 19th June then returning to Steinwerder in time to finish loading stores and collect the lucky ones who will be first to see the transformation.

M-AR

That makes sense - stretch her legs after sitting for almost four weeks. And it would not make a whole lot of sense to tie up a passenger pier for four days. It will probably also include the mother of all crew parties! Refits are the only time the crew has full run of the ship.

The G32GBQM2 page has an image of Illuminations, and a reply there asked the same question. I certainly hope they did considering that it wasn't done in 2011 and they made such hype over "remastering" the ship.
Not only repairing/replacing the red Planetarium seats (which should have been a priority a long time ago, not waiting years for a refit), but also fixing the projector registration problems. One of them (forward right side, if I remember correctly) has been very noticably "out of sync" with the others and showing an irritating double image during the shows.

If reports come back from the first passengers, after she re-enters service, that the many, many broken seats in the Planetarium haven't been fixed after all the money that has been lavished on her... :mad:

Edited by pepperrn

Someone onboard has just sent me a photo of the refurbished Kings Court. (as I've no idea how to post photos on here you'll just have to wait ;) ) It looks fantastic, a complete transformation and far good for those who can't be bothered to stick a jacket on in the evenings :D

Many areas of the ship are now looking looking wonderful, it's amazing what they've managed to do in such a short space of time, however, give it a week in service and there'll be the usual moaning minnies at it again.;)

She's being towed out now. Web cams however are freezing up probably due to high demand. Refresh the page and you'll at least get still images.

She looks like she's riding pretty high. Before the added weight she had only 1m clearance over the dock sill.

Edited by BlueRiband